PDA

View Full Version : What Packer (NFL) Fans Inform me on Charles Woodson.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Here is what other Packer fans inform me about Charles Woodson:

Fans discuss Charles Woodson

** How about Charles Woodson? Are any other Packer fans disappointed pretty disappointed in him so far. This is a guy that has a ton to prove and still can't find the time to show up for anything not mandatory.

He's had a few down years and is entering a new defense with a new staff on a team that is looking to rebound from an aweful year. I guess his reputation preceeds him. A lot of talent, not a lot of ambition. Let's just hope the guy can play!

** Charles Woodson got a great contract from Green Bay; I think Green Bay should have done their homework on signing Woodson as I think the fans will be very disappointed in him once the season start.

** It's definitely starting to look that way. I don't know how you give a guy $10 million his first year and he doesn't show up for the basic installation of the new D. at least new D to him. I'm very worried that he got his last big payday and will somehow find a way to not contribute. maybe claim he has a nagging injury or something. very disappointed in Woodson. in fact, I think his obvious disregard for becoming part of the team will necessitate the Packers giving Harris more money to keep him happy.

** You really have to wonder what Woodson is thinking. What a way to thank a team for giving you a big payday when not many teams were standing in line to do so. And as you pointed out, it sends a bad message to Al Harris, who is a better CB than Woodson in my opinion. Harris is in there busting his hump while the Packers pad the bank account of a guy who apparently can't find the motivation to join him.

** I agree it certainly doesnt send the right message to a guy like Harris, who has shown over the past 2 years that he is more deserving than Woodson for that money.

I just can't fathom why he wouldnt want to be here. This does have the early signs of "bust" all over it.

** Preseason training hasn't even begun yet, so it's hard to judge, but, so far, yes I have to agree that Woodson is sending out the wrong signals. If it was just learning the defense, that would be one thing. Our scheme isn't that complicated, and Woodson is a veteran. What puzzles me is that, when he signed, it was with the idea that he would also contribute on offense and special teams as a spot receiver and as a return man. I don't think he would have learned much on defense (or on how to return kicks), but a working knowledge of the offense would make it more likely that he might be thrown out there on occasion.

** I hope if he is used in some kind of gadget play, that he is strictly the diversion. I can't imagine he has better hands, elusiveness or open field vision than any of the Packers WR's or RB's. Maybe this would be a good one -- run a double reverse with Woodson out wide and DD getting the final handoff. I love it when they handoff to DD. Otherwise, just run him on fly routes and throw underneath to DD or Jennings or (dare I say) Fergy. That'll teach him how much fun offense can be :)

** One of the major faults of CW is that he thinks he is the best corner ever and he is so talented that he does'nt have to train or watch gamefilm or work hard as his athleticism and ability will get him out of trouble.

In his first 4 years he had success with this strategy. However a few injuries and years later and being on a worse D proved that this is actually a recipe for disaster.

Major plusses of CW he will step up and stop the run, he is talented and very big for corners (more like safety size) but outwayed by his minuses in her-uge ego , lack of game planning and work ethic. Someone needs to really challange him to step up and lead the Packer secondary not sit back and watch it die like he did with the Raiders.

My main fault with the Packers front office is that they should have known all this when they signed him to a huge contract, which my perception was to keep Favre quiet more than to help the D.

note: The Favre haters will be all over that one,LOL. Brett Favre hoped that the Packers would sign T.O.

** I'm confident that the Pack front office knew all about CW's questionable work ethic and personality. I think they gave him the deal because they had money to burn and did want to appease Brett. I also think the Pack were smart in front-loading the deal because I don't see CW in a Pack uniform for more than a couple years. At least if they do cut him, the cap ramifications aren't horrible. Maybe Al Harris can light a fire under/stick a foot up his over-priced butt.

** Don't get me wrong I was a major fan of Woodson and only soured on him after his franchise years he is a great player to support when he and the team is playing well just don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen overnight.

** As a Michagan and Oakland fan,I have always been a big CW supporter. But even a loyal fan cant stick up for this guy. The only thing he does consistantly is crush your salary cap and be an anti-team player. He is one of the best corners in the game when he's healthy. But he doesnt stay healthy. Maybe Hawk will get in his grill and put some fire under him? I actually hope it works out, but i doubt it will....

** I'm definitely having my doubts too. More than anything, I just want to see him play. If he can skip all the voluntary practices and still be ready for opening day, then I guess it doesn't matter. That's a pretty ideal situation though, and probably won't work out that way.

If things keep going this way, I hope AJ does get in his grill. Then, when CW talks back, AJ can rip his head off and save the Pack $10 million in cap room. lol

** I don't see Woodson as a regular contributor on offense, but I think that one of the factors in his signing is the value he brings as a game-breaker. CW seems to think of himself as a Deion Sanders. He's not in that league, but he is a talented athlete who can change the course of a game with big plays. In college, he terrorized the opposition with his athletic ability on both sides of the ball and on special teams. I would anticipate that his role will often be as a decoy. When he checks into the game, the opposing defense will have to take notice and be prepared for a reverse or for a deep pass. The pressure that puts on the opposing defense will make it easier to complete passes to our other receivers.

** Harris could really help to bring out the best in Woodson. As I said, he thinks he's the second coming of Deion Sanders. That overinflated idea has hurt him. But his ego might be pushed. If he is going to be one of the best defenders in the league, he will have to be the best on his team. Harris has the ability to challenge CW to play at his peak.

** "I'm confident that the Pack front office knew all about CW's questionable work ethic and personality." I'm pretty sure they did
it's been known since he was in college (Michigan) that he never liked practicing.

woodbuck27: Ohhh it's just a case of - "he doesn't like to practise",mmmm. He needs someone to light a long wooden match to his ass, if that's all it is.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
666 post's. . .YIKES ! Sorry but I'm Irish. :mrgreen:

Rastak
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM

I'm not Irish Woody but I hang out in Irish pubs and LOVE traditional Irish music.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 08:00 AM

I'm not Irish Woody but I hang out in Irish pubs and LOVE traditional Irish music.

Yea a night out with the good Irish music coupled with joining in the singing, and all the red and puffy hand clapping. . . and way too many beer is a darn fine evening for all in attendance. Can't beat a rolicking Irish Pub with a fine Irish group performing. Loads of fun.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
well, I think Woodson was the consolation prize of free agency. But better him than nothing.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
well, I think Woodson was the consolation prize of free agency. But better him than nothing.

I think your saying that the money had to be spent somewhere as it got later and later in FA. Thus we have the dubious distinction of hoping that Charles Woodson has something left?

Maybe it's inexperience,personality or carefulness but Ted Thompson has to get it in action alot faster, as I see it. We had alot of money and he could have spent it wiser.

I believe Charles Woodson will be a shot in the foot to Ted Thompson.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm sure Thompson made a run at other players. Woodson is sort of that last item left at the bottom of the bin after a big sale.

Woodson has a chance to be good. We'll see.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
"Woodson has a chance to be good. We'll see." HH

He would have given himself a better chance, if he had of come in early and learned the system, but was that his ego or is he hiding something -maybe he's not 100% healthy not ready to play yet?

I really find his total absence from the OTA's strange HH.

Tony Oday
07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
From what I can tell about the Packer Cover 2 Defense the Corners are on an island and play bump and run coverage.

So that is what Woodson does :) I cant imagine he would have trouble when they say, "Hey Wood go Cover number 81 man bump and run." I think he can handle that.

I would have liked to see him go to the OTAs but who really cares? He is a Vet and Harris didnt show either. Our younger guys got the work they needed and come game time I hope Woodson is rested and healthy as he can be because with him and harris at the corners we can actually shut down the two best WR on the field with two guys not having to have Collins over watch one side. He can be more of a playmaker instead of cloud coverage :)

Dabaddestbear
07-07-2006, 10:49 AM
From what I can tell about the Packer Cover 2 Defense the Corners are on an island and play bump and run coverage.

So that is what Woodson does :) I cant imagine he would have trouble when they say, "Hey Wood go Cover number 81 man bump and run." I think he can handle that.

I would have liked to see him go to the OTAs but who really cares? He is a Vet and Harris didnt show either. Our younger guys got the work they needed and come game time I hope Woodson is rested and healthy as he can be because with him and harris at the corners we can actually shut down the two best WR on the field with two guys not having to have Collins over watch one side. He can be more of a playmaker instead of cloud coverage :)

What you must think about though is that most teams dont actually play cover 2 the entire game. Only in certain situations. Plus if the Packers are sticking to the same defense as last year that would mean very little cover2. With cover 2 you need to have very quick linemen inside and out that can collapse the pocket and make the QB get the ball out quickly before the WR can work the zone deep.

And if you havent noticed you cant be to physical in todays NFL anymore. Qucker smaller CB's seem to flourish more.
Woodson not being there early is sending the wrong message to his new team mates. When you are a new high priced signing, you should break the ice asap to get the ball moving on chemistry.
But all in all any misfortune on the packers is good fortune for a Bears fan!! :twisted:

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
"Woodson not being there early is sending the wrong message to his new team mates. When you are a new high priced signing, you should break the ice asap to get the ball moving on chemistry" Dabaddestbear

Your right on there man. I'm now seeing that we are just getting a REAL dose of Charles Woodson. He flat out hates to practise. He feels he is too good above all that.

We'll see but there is a strong possibility we will get burned with this signing.It's one of those hold your breath things. A wait and see.

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Woody? Who are these "other people" anyway?

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 07:58 AM
We'll see but there is a strong possibility we will get burned with this signing.It's one of those hold your breath things. A wait and see.

Lots of high priced guys late in their careers are a bomb. Bruce Smith comes to mind. But the Packers had no other place to stick their cap space (unless you want to roll the clock back to Mike Wahle) so it's really not that much of a risk.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:21 PM

Lots of high priced guys late in their careers are a bomb. Bruce Smith comes to mind. But the Packers had no other place to stick their cap space (unless you want to roll the clock back to Mike Wahle) so it's really not that much of a risk.

Who you tryin' to kid Big Fella. It's a "H" of a risk. $10 million up front to the fella that never gets to class.

Call the Truant Officer. Nowwwww !

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
First off, I'd say that I'm content with the Woodsen signing. Given all the money we had and the fact that 95% of the top tier free agents were already signed, after we failed with Lavar Arrington TT decided Woodsen could help us the next most.

Too much money ? Probably. But TT frontloaded it so most of the money counts early so if Woodsen bombs we can cut ties fast.

Now stepping back, and looking at the big picture.................................

One could easily argue Ted Thompson was not prepared for free agency and after watching a lot of good options go off the market quickly, Ted Thompson desperately needed to use his pot of gold.........and at the same time save a little bit of face.

So he decided Arrington and Woodsen were the best gambles left.

But did TT really wisely utilize this cap in a matter to best improve our team ? Probably not for Y2007.

B

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Who you tryin' to kid Big Fella. It's a "H" of a risk. $10 million up front to the fella that never gets to class.

What was the opportunity cost? Nothin. They have the money, have no incentive not to spend it. Woodson was the best thing out there.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 07:55 PM
So he decided Arrington and Woodsen were the best gambles left.

But did TT really wisely utilize this cap in a matter to best improve our team ? Probably not for Y2007.

Ya, those were choices. Arrington wanted to be a Giant, not sure the Packers really had a shot. I think LA WANTS to be compared to LT, wears his number even. I'm not saying that Arrington is going to make the Hall of Fame, but he has the physical talent to do so.

woodbuck27
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
When FA opened this season I saw two CB's available of a high profile nature.

Ty Law and Charles Woodson hung around awhile and we bit on Woodson around the draft weekend and I read we spent $10 million as a bonus to bring in a man that may well be at the end of his career.

I liked Ty Law better, but felt early in the Free Agency period that we are not a team that will attract - him as he wants another ring.

It looked early like he would be a Seattle Seahawk and then it seemed to come down to the Pats and the Chiefs to land this solid CB.

The Chiefs get him and it looks like relatively cheap compared to what Charles Woodson cost us.
The early consensus in league circles is that the contract signed by cornerback Ty Law with the Chiefs is not a great deal.

Law's first-year money is a $4 million signing bonus and $1 million in salary, and he will get another $5 million or so in 2007 if the Chiefs decide to continue the deal.

Essentially Law will cost the Chiefs less for two years service (that's if he plays well) than Charles Woodson will cost us in year one and he craps out.

I hope he didn't grow a beard or he won't be recognizable come Friday.It's been so long since any Packer people have seen this not a Packer people person.

Dam. If T2 had of waited, been more patient, we might have had a real CB in Ty Law .

Rastak
07-24-2006, 09:40 PM

Ty Law and Charles Woodson hung around awhile and we bit on Woodson around the draft weekend and I read we spent $10 million as a bonus to bring in a man that may well be at the end of his career.

I liked Ty Law better, but felt early in the Free Agency period that we are not a team that will attract - him as he wants another ring.

It looked early like he would be a Seattle Seahawk and then it seemed to come down to the Pats and the Chiefs to land this solid CB.

The Chiefs get him and it looks like relatively cheap compared to what Charles Woodson cost us.
The early consensus in league circles is that the contract signed by cornerback Ty Law with the Chiefs is not a great deal.

Law's first-year money is a $4 million signing bonus and $1 million in salary, and he will get another $5 million or so in 2007 if the Chiefs decide to continue the deal.

Essentially Law will cost the Chiefs less for two years service (that's if he plays well) than Charles Woodson will cost us in year one and he craps out.

I hope he didn't grow a beard or he won't be recognizable come Friday.It's been so long since any Packer people have seen this not a Packer people person.

Dam. If T2 had of waited, been more patient, we might have had a real CB in Ty Law .

I have to admit, I'd have been bummed as a Viking fan had Law signed with GB. Ted could have made that happen if he wanted to. He's old but he's still solid.

woodbuck27
07-24-2006, 09:50 PM

I have to admit, I'd have been bummed as a Viking fan had Law signed with GB. Ted could have made that happen if he wanted to. He's old but he's still solid.

No question between Charles Woodson and Ty Law who I'd rather have at CB entering TC.

Ty Law certainly reduced his demands a ton but that was the game for T2 to play. He may be from Texas but does he know the hold em?

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 12:19 PM
The latest on the Ty Law Contract with the Chiefs:

DETAILS ON LAW DEAL

We've obtained from a league source specific information regarding the first two years of cornerback Ty Law's contract with the Chiefs.

As we suspected, it's no bell ringer.

Law got $4 million to sign, and will be paid a $1 million base salary in 2006. (As a vested veteran, his base salary is fully guaranteed if he's on the Week One roster.)

In 2007, there's a $1 million option bonus due in March, a $3 million base salary, and a $1 million roster bonus.

This leaves a whopping $25 million over the last three years of the deal -- and it's highly unlikely that Law will ever see that money.

For now, then, it's a one-year deal with a team option for year two.

And kudos to the Chiefs for pushing the bigger hit in 2007 deeper into the league year. As a result, the Chiefs can choose to pay the $1 million option bonus in March and squat on Law's rights before making a decision in August as to whether he merits the remaining $4 million that he's due to receive in 2007.

The better deal for Ty would have been to require the Chiefs to fish or cut cheese on day one of the league year, via a $4 million roster or option bonus. Then, if the Chiefs had opted not to keep him, Law would have been on the free-agent market early (at which time his agents would have demanded too much money, no one would have been interested, and he would have signed another deal like this one in late July).

Still, it's not as if Law and his agents had much leverage to force the decision day into March. We're told that they made a last-ditch effort to shop the deal in search of something better, but generated no interest.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Fit, healthy Law eager to help Chiefs

NFL.com wire reports

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (July 25, 2006) -- Anyone who might have thought new Chiefs cornerback Ty Law was out of shape should have attended his introductory news conference at Arrowhead Stadium.

Looking fit and trim, Law said he was completely recovered from a severe foot injury that has plagued him the last two years.

"I'm 110 percent better than what I was last year, physically, mentally," said the 32-year-old Law, a five-time Pro Bowl cornerback. "I'm ready to go."

Ty Law was all smiles after signing a five-year deal.

Law, who initially hurt his foot with the Patriots in 2004, said he was still hobbled by the injury last season with the Jets. But he managed to intercept a league-high 10 passes for then-coach Herm Edwards.

Now he's back with Edwards, Kansas City's new head coach, and armed with a five-year, $30 million contract.

"I'm kind of speechless. Everything is happening so fast," he said. "I really didn't know I was going to be able to get something done before training camp. I thought it would be two to three weeks from now when it actually happened."

He was also courted by the New England Patriots, the team he helped to three Super Bowl championships.

But the prospect of playing again for Edwards, a former Pro Bowl cornerback himself, proved decisive.

"It makes a difference when you have a coach that's played the game," Law said. "There's a lot of knowledgeable coaches out there who know football. But Herman can give it to you from a player's perspective. And fortunately for me, he's played my position and he's played it well."

While working together last year at the Jets, the two developed a rapport.

"I really admire his toughness," Edwards said. "That's what I learned about him last year. We've always had a good relationship."

The Chiefs, the only 10-6 team that missed the playoffs last year, open camp Friday in River Falls, Wis.

With Edwards and Law in place, enthusiasm should be high. The Chiefs' Web site had 50,000 hits July 23 when word got out that they had reached an agreement with Law.

"I do enjoy the enthusiasm about it. But we still have a job to do," Law said. "There are still games to be played, still work to be done. I'm glad for the most part I've been accepted. But I'm sure of those 50,000 hits, there were a couple of thousand saying, 'What are you doing?'

"You've always got your critics out there."

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Evidently the Eagles have no interest in Jerry Porter but they have been busy on the weekend and are expressing an interest in Ashley Lelie:

Link:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/15215809.htm

Suddenly, the Eagles are a whirlwind of activity. They signed Brodrick Bunkley and extended Brian Dawkins this weekend. . .

and last night, the NFL rumor mill was churning again with reports that the Birds were involved with Denver in a possible trade for wide receiver Ashley Lelie. An Eagles source confirmed the Birds have talked to Denver about Lelie, but denied that anything was imminent.

Eagles sources say there is no chance the Birds will trade for Oakland's Jerry Porter...

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Eagles owner cool on Porter

Rumor - the Packers are interested.

David White

Sunday, August 6, 2006

Scratch the Philadelphia Eagles off the list of teams interested in Jerry Porter.

Eagles owner Jeff Lurie all but ruled out trading for Porter, the Raiders receiver with an offseason feud with coach Art Shell and a request to be traded.

He said prospective players must pass a "character test" in light of last year's soap opera with Terrell Owens.

"I don't want to focus on individual guys because I can't describe their personalities," Lurie said. "But, yes, in terms of bringing in guys, either they're going to be a great team player or they're not. We have to make that judgment. It's always been, except for one exception, been a very strong priority with (coach) Andy Reid."

The Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers and Atlanta Falcons have been mentioned as teams interested in Porter.