PDA

View Full Version : With the 9th overall pick of the 2009 NFL Draft....

Brando19
12-28-2008, 06:42 PM
The Packers are picking 9th in next year's draft! Hope there's an AWESOME pass rusher sittin' pretty for us to scoop up! We also get a 3rd from the Jets!

ND72
12-28-2008, 06:43 PM
and the fun begins...

chain_gang
12-28-2008, 06:49 PM
The Packers are picking 9th in next year's draft! Hope there's an AWESOME pass rusher sittin' pretty for us to scoop up! We also get a 3rd from the Jets!

A pass rusher would be nice, but Taylor Mays(if he decides to come out) would be a great player to team up with Collins and give us one more playmaker in our secondary. 6'3 230lbs that can run in the 4.3's and has been supposedly timed in the mid 4.2s. But any impact player will do for me.

ND72
12-28-2008, 06:50 PM

A pass rusher would be nice, but Taylor Mays(if he decides to come out) would be a great player to team up with Collins and give us one more playmaker in our secondary. 6'3 230lbs that can run in the 4.3's and has been supposedly timed in the mid 4.2s. But any impact player will do for me.

he's a target guy for me as well...but he'll impress at the combine if he comes out and probably go higher.

Lurker64
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Anybody want to post their boards for the Packers of players who are plausibly available at #9?

I'm high on Orakpo, Oher, Curry, and Jenkins. I don't think Maualuga or Monroe are good fits. Raji is an intriguing fit, although I think he's better as a 3-4 nose. Moore and Smith are interesting picks as well. I'm sort of afraid we'll pick Michael Johnson who is in the classic "freakish athlete who just never has performed like he should" mold.

Bretsky
12-28-2008, 06:59 PM

If there is a star there at S, like Mays, you have to consider him

I hope we pick a star on defense for many years to come.

A new philosophy on Defense and we could use a playmaker at DL, LB, or S

A good mix of free agency and a good draft and we be competitive for quite some time

DonHutson
12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm sort of afraid we'll pick Michael Johnson who is in the classic "freakish athlete who just never has performed like he should" mold.

Ted played it safe on his last trip to the top ten. I'm not sure who the 'safe' pick would be at that point. A high character, high production, tough guy type I suppose. That might point toward Orakpo. I could live with that, but I don't think he'd be my first choice.

BallHawk
12-28-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0
THIS

Chevelle2
12-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm sort of afraid we'll pick Michael Johnson who is in the classic "freakish athlete who just never has performed like he should" mold.

Ted played it safe on his last trip to the top ten. I'm not sure who the 'safe' pick would be at that point. A high character, high production, tough guy type I suppose. That might point toward Orakpo. I could live with that, but I don't think he'd be my first choice.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics24/200/PP/PPMEELMJIVDMYYS.20080502200643.jpg

My man Ciron Black would be a good pick, fits your description. Safe, good, high character.

steve823
12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Im really hoping we can get Jenkins but that might not happen so I would be happy with a stud de or bpa. As stated above if Mays is still there grab his ass but a lot depends on the combine

esoxx
12-28-2008, 07:58 PM
TT needs to nail this one.

imscott72
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM

You can have the best secondary in the world, but it won't matter if you can't generate a pass rush..

red
12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
THIS

or this, if he decides to come out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUE3Ys-qf6M

red
12-28-2008, 08:43 PM

You can have the best secondary in the world, but it won't matter if you can't generate a pass rush..

they have to fix the d-line. its like dominoes. if the line gets better, the lb's get better, then the secondary gets better

bobblehead
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
My guess. We sign Haynesworth, Jenkins stays healthy all year and we draft a DL at 9 that contributes thus completely reversing out fortunes at DL in one season....hey, its the offseason where we dare to dream.

rbaloha1
12-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Orakpo is a stud. Physical player with an attitude. Malauaga and Mays also fit this mo which us highly needed for the Packers D.

Brando19
12-28-2008, 09:21 PM
If Favre retires in this offseason, the jets get our 7th rounder.

Lurker64
12-28-2008, 09:24 PM

But we have an extra sixth rounder this year from the Saints for trading away our last seventh rounder last year, so it'll work out.

Edit: Also, the pick the Jets will get if/when Favre retires will be a 2010 7th round pick (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/07/jets-have-some-protection-against-one-and-done/) not a 2009 7th round pick. A 2010 7th round pick is currently worth approximately a 2009 8th round pick, which is to say: not much.

digitaldean
12-28-2008, 09:25 PM

My sentiments exactly. We need help on DLine and OLine. Our OLine is either running down health-wise or just not good enough.

Our DLine needs a difference maker RIGHT NOW. That should come via FA or the draft. The current group (save one) is doing the job with a consistent pass rush.

If we control the lines, we can control the games.

Deputy Nutz
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
If Thompson is control of the draft then it most likely will be best player available in the Land of Ted. Who knows what free agency will bring, but watching the game today against the Lions the Packers had nothing up front in terms of a pass rush in the second half of the game. Getting pressure is a must at all level of football and it just can't come from the ends either.

The offensive line needs to be looked at as well. I thought that Colledge played decently at right tackle and I think his road in the NFL will be at tackle and not at guard. So that leaves a bunch of young kids at the guard position with Babre, and Sitton. I think Wells needs to be replaced at center by Spitz or someone else, the guy can't stay healthy and he is extremely weak at the point. Clifton is old and Tauscher most likely won't be back. There are few highly rated tackles in the 2009 draft so I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson fell in love with an offensive lineman.

Aaron Rouse is a big defensive back that plays like a pussy who is always hurt. Bigby might have been a flash in the pan type of guy, he has very little change of direction, and he takes crappy angles in both the run game and in the passing game. Mostly though if Thompson wants to improve the secondary he needs to find some pass rushers.

PackerPro42
12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
I really like Orakpo this year, but I'd also be happy with Curry or Jenkins.

red
12-28-2008, 09:37 PM
i'll tell you one thing about wells. he walked right past me today coming out of the tunnel

he's way to small to be an offensive linemen. he looks like a linebacker

he's not tall, and he has almost no gut

Brando19
12-28-2008, 09:38 PM
i'll tell you one thing about wells. he walked right past me today coming out of the tunnel

How's his ass look?

Deputy Nutz
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

disgusting

digitaldean
12-28-2008, 09:46 PM

How's his ass look?

Is this Skin, Jr.??

Brando19
12-28-2008, 09:47 PM

How's his ass look?

Is this Skin, Jr.??

Lol...I figured I'd ask since he was lookin' Wells up and down. Besides, where is Skin these days? And Scott Campbell?

digitaldean
12-28-2008, 10:02 PM

How's his ass look?

Is this Skin, Jr.??

Lol...I figured I'd ask since he was lookin' Wells up and down. Besides, where is Skin these days? And Scott Campbell?

Not sure of Skin, but I've seen him post in the past few days. Scott? Not sure. I haven't seen him post anything lengthy in a long time.

red
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM

How's his ass look?

it looked very tight and firm

i noticed because he was hurt and came out of the tunnel in the middle of the third. i had to do a double take when i saw the number because i thought there was no way that was an 0-linemen

Fosco33
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM

I think it's the 7th rd in 2010 (not next draft).

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see the Packers get Malcolm Jenkns. He may be gone, though, and I would almost prefer Vontae Davis anyway.

None of these DEs mentioned are sure things to be playmakers or even upgrades from what we have. We don't need a first round pick to be our strong side OLB, and the ones mentioned are also not sure things to become star quality players. A super safety, maybe, although there too, what we have when healthy is more than good enough.

The piece of the puzzle we need the most his a Albert Haynesworth-class DT. The best would be to actually get Haynesworth, though, as nobody in the draft is sure or even probable to be that good. B.J. Razi? I don't think so. Draft a couple of oversize guys later, and hope one of them shows more than expected.

Partial
12-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Anybody want to post their boards for the Packers of players who are plausibly available at #9?

I'm high on Orakpo, Oher, Curry, and Jenkins. I don't think Maualuga or Monroe are good fits. Raji is an intriguing fit, although I think he's better as a 3-4 nose. Moore and Smith are interesting picks as well. I'm sort of afraid we'll pick Michael Johnson who is in the classic "freakish athlete who just never has performed like he should" mold.

Why don't you like 'luga?

Partial
12-29-2008, 12:22 AM
THIS

Is there any reason not to like the guy? He's got to be up there with Luga, but I don't know anything about his character.

Lurker64
12-29-2008, 01:22 AM

He's got a lot of warts. Too often he looks to kill somebody instead of making a tackle and misses a lot of tackles this way. He's too aggressive a lot of time, he essentially always bites on pump fakes and play action. He's not particularly fast and he doesn't have a knack for taking great angles. In my opinion, he's made to look better than he his by playing in a great defense.

He's also not a great fit. Mike is really his only position in the 4-3 given his range. For a 3-4 team he'd be a great fit, as he could play either ILB slot (and have less coverage responsibility as a result). But I don't think he could show up here and be ready to make an impact right away.

He has the potential to be great, I just don't think he's a good fit. Of course, if we change the defensive scheme between then and now, this all might change.

But honestly, the only LB I'd be willing to draft in the first this year is Aaron Curry. Curry can play all three LB positions in the 4-3 and his game is similar to Maualuga's, but better in virtually every way. If we were picking around 17-20 I would see Maualuga as a reasonable pick, but the only LB worthy of top 10 consideration in my opinion is Curry (who's probably top 5, honestly).

Curry, Barnett, and Hawk make this LB corps amazing. Poppinga/Chillar, Barnett/Maualuga, Hawk doesn't wow me.

But, if you're a 3-4 team picking in the top half of the first round, there's a lot to look forward to. Maualuga is a great fit for 3-4 ILB and B.J. Raji is one of those rare 3-4 NTs that are needed to run the scheme effectively.

Partial
12-29-2008, 01:31 AM

He's got a lot of warts. Too often he looks to kill somebody instead of making a tackle and misses a lot of tackles this way. He's too aggressive a lot of time, he essentially always bites on pump fakes and play action. He's not particularly fast and he doesn't have a knack for taking great angles. In my opinion, he's made to look better than he his by playing in a great defense.

He's also not a great fit. Mike is really his only position in the 4-3 given his range. For a 3-4 team he'd be a great fit, as he could play either ILB slot (and have less coverage responsibility as a result). But I don't think he could show up here and be ready to make an impact right away.

He has the potential to be great, I just don't think he's a good fit. Of course, if we change the defensive scheme between then and now, this all might change.

But honestly, the only LB I'd be willing to draft in the first this year is Aaron Curry. Curry can play all three LB positions in the 4-3 and his game is similar to Maualuga's, but better in virtually every way. If we were picking around 17-20 I would see Maualuga as a reasonable pick, but the only LB worthy of top 10 consideration in my opinion is Curry (who's probably top 5, honestly).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't think you watch enough USC (they're nationally broadcast ALOT) or you don't know what to look for, because Maulaluga is the best college LB I've seen in years.

To me, his size/speed/thickness combination is exactly what I look for. He's huge for an LB. I wouldn't be surprised for him to weigh in at 260-270. He's really fast, really instinctive, and was clearly born to be a middle linebacker.

SkinBasket
12-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't think you watch enough USC (they're nationally broadcast ALOT) or you don't know what to look for, because Maulaluga is the best college LB I've seen in years.

To me, his size/speed/thickness combination is exactly what I look for. He's huge for an LB. I wouldn't be surprised for him to weigh in at 260-270. He's really fast, really instinctive, and was clearly born to be a middle linebacker.

Partial, it is possible to say you disagree with a person without insulting their intelligence. It's not like you've got a lot of football knowledge capital to spend anyway, but it looks like we've got an entire offseason of Partial the Pro Scout to look forward to. What website are you stealing player evaluations from this year and claiming as your own?

imscott72
12-29-2008, 08:38 AM
I'd like to see the Packers get Malcolm Jenkns. He may be gone, though, and I would almost prefer Vontae Davis anyway.

None of these DEs mentioned are sure things to be playmakers or even upgrades from what we have. We don't need a first round pick to be our strong side OLB, and the ones mentioned are also not sure things to become star quality players. A super safety, maybe, although there too, what we have when healthy is more than good enough.

The piece of the puzzle we need the most his a Albert Haynesworth-class DT. The best would be to actually get Haynesworth, though, as nobody in the draft is sure or even probable to be that good. B.J. Razi? I don't think so. Draft a couple of oversize guys later, and hope one of them shows more than expected.

The Titans aren't going to let Haynesworth get away. He anchors that defense. They'll either tag him or re-sign.

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
As some of you know I advocate getting out of the first round if possible. But is this the year where we might just be a player or two away? Does TT look at moving up from 9? Is this the year he sees someone to write a big check to in Free Agency? Maybe gets 3 or so defensive starters. Just wondering.

swede
12-29-2008, 09:09 AM

I think Spitz is the starting center next year. He has tons of line experience now and some game experience at center.

If the coaches do any quality control work at all I think it may occur to them that we need to get bigger on the line.

Wells would have made a good lineman in the 60's. This ain't the 60's. You don't buy big fat ounces for fifteen bucks anymore and you don't put a 260 pound player at center in the 21st century NFL.

swede
12-29-2008, 09:11 AM
As some of you know I advocate getting out of the first round if possible. But is this the year where we might just be a player or two away? Does TT look at moving up from 9? Is this the year he sees someone to write a big check to in Free Agency? Maybe gets 3 or so defensive starters. Just wondering.

First option is to keep this pick and spend it on D-line, I suppose. The failure of the Harrel pick almost demands this action.

The blown first round pick on Jamaal Reynolds had bad echoes that just kept reverberating. The Jamaal Reynolds pick led to desperate free agency moves (Say it ain't so, Joe!), tons of bad d-line picks, and a stupid contract for Clitidius that hamstrung us further.

Let's hope TT doesn't screw up the draft trying to fix the Harrell problem.

On the bright side, this is NOT TT at the combine:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/mike_sherman_sleeping.jpg

BallHawk
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
What website are you stealing player evaluations from this year and claiming as your own?

He and about the other half of the forum......

(in b4 mathematically incorrect)

LL2
12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I really do not care who we pick, as long as we get a day 1 starter that is a difference maker. I do not want a player sitting on the bench getting groomed or recovering from a college injury. I will say the player should be on defense, and preferable a DE or DT. Getting a great player in the secondary would good, but we should be fine there the next few years with Woodson, Collins, Williams, and hopefully Rouse will get better.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I really do not care who we pick, as long as we get a day 1 starter that is a difference maker. I do not want a player sitting on the bench getting groomed or recovering from a college injury. I will say the player should be on defense, and preferable a DE or DT. Getting a great player in the secondary would good, but we should be fine there the next few years with Woodson, Collins, Williams, and hopefully Rouse will get better.
Word. :clap:

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm just thinking the Lions need about 49 new bodies and I think we need a few starters. Depends who's there, I dont follow the draft and have no opinion on who. Just seems like we are much better then 6-10 , I think we would all agree on that.

hurleyfan
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
ESPN projects the Packers take Gerald McCoy DT from Oklahoma @9

rbaloha1
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Any one with info on this guy.

Lurker64
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
The Titans aren't going to let Haynesworth get away. He anchors that defense. They'll either tag him or re-sign.

They cannot, under the terms of the one-year contract Haynesworth signed in the last year, tag him. There were four conditions in that contract that, if Haynesworth met any of them, the Titans would give up their right to use a tag on Haynesworth. Haynesworth has met all four I believe, so he's not going to be tagged.

So the question comes down to "will the Titans be able to resign him before free agency starts", which I doubt since his agent is almost certainly going to want to see what sort of FA dollars get offered (and to Haynesworth looking around isn't going to mean he can't be a Titan next year). If he actually gets to FA he's gone, the Titans operate much like Ted Thompson. They don't get into bidding wars, and they're not in the habit of "overpaying" for players.

LL2
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM

That will change about 100 more times.

hurleyfan
12-29-2008, 12:01 PM

That will change about 100 more times.

No doubt about that!!

Fritz
12-29-2008, 12:10 PM

But no one will know if Favre is really retried until....next July.

DonHutson
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Do we get it back when he unretires?

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I think the packers have to look very carefully at a punter with that top pick. Could be gone by second round.

Lurker64
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I really do not care who we pick, as long as we get a day 1 starter that is a difference maker. ... I will say the player should be on defense, and preferable a DE or DT.

A DT who is ready to start on day 1 and be a difference maker probably doesn't exist. It's one of the hardest positions to transition from the college game to the pro game because the blocking schemes these guys face in college are so much simpler than they'll see in the pros, and so many high end college DTs skate by on pure physical talent where the superlative NFL DTs combine pure physical ability and technique.

Even Ryan Pickett, who is unarguably our best DT and a DT good enough to play for 32 NFL teams, did very little in his rookie season. Kevin Williams did, but he started out playing DE and was moved inside after 12 games.

If you want a 2009 impact player, you probably don't draft a DT. If you want better DT play in 2009, you sign Haynesworth and a couple of rotation guys (maybe draft somebody like Jolly), and you pray that Harrell gets it together.

But in all honesty, Justin Harrell isn't far behind the curve of the majority of first round DTs. A lot of your top 20 DT picks do next to nothing in their first 2 years, and the light only starts coming on in years 3-4.

Rookies do come in and star as DEs though, and Orakpo would be a perfect pick if he falls to #9.

RashanGary
12-30-2008, 10:32 PM
If I had to guess right now, I'm guessing either DE Everette Brown or OT Eugene Monroe.

Brando19
12-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Do we get it back when he unretires?

Haha...that pick will be bouncing around until whatever team is on the clock.

RashanGary
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Rookies do come in and star as DEs though, and Orakpo would be a perfect pick if he falls to #9.

blah. I'm a big non supporter of Orakpo. He's doesn't play big or fast.

Brando19
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM

blah. I'm a big non supporter of Orakpo. He's doesn't play big or fast.

Really? I've read nothing but good things about him. I've not had a chance to watch him, but everyone seems to be big on this guy. Why do you think Everette Brown would be a better pick?

RashanGary
12-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Most of their sacks are on youtube. Orakpo has just barely enough speed to turn the corner against college LT's. Brown has more than enough. Brown may be a couple pounds lighter but he plays just as strong as Orakpo from what I've seen and he's a JR so he'll still grow into his big frame.

I think Orakpo is an overrated player. He's a straight ahead guy with limited speed, size, power and upside that is going to get engulfed on the next level IMO. Brown has a chance to be great because he's more naturally gifted and from what I"ve seen has more pass rush moves and plays more naturally with his hands and with leverage. Some guys just have a knack for getting under their opponent and playing strong. I see that in Brown. I do not see that in Orakpo.

Bretsky
12-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM ENOUGH BUT HERE IS A CLIP FROM A SITE THAT PREDICTED THE PACKERS WOULD TAKE HIM

After winning 13 games a year ago big things were expected of the Packers in 2008 and even though they failed to take that next step the future still looks bright. Regardless of what you might think of Ted Thompson and the way he handled the Brett Favre situation you can't help but be impressed with his Draft Day track record and he has assembled a nice core of young talent on both sides of the ball. However, one area that is of particular concern is the defensive line and Green Bay really struggled to generate a pass rush, ranking near the bottom of the league in sacks. Aaron Kampman doesn't get nearly enough credit for being one of the best defensive ends in the business but former defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins is more of a run stuffer and after releasing Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila they could use a top pass rusher. Brian Orakpo, a.k.a. “O-Sack-Po”, had an amazing senior season for the Longhorns and he won both the Lombardi Award as the nation's best lineman and the Nagurski Trophy, which is given to the nation's top defensive player. In addition to that outstanding on-field performance Orakpo also figures to test extremely well in pre-draft workouts when he is given an opportunity to show off his amazing blend of athleticism, speed and strength. The Packers could also use some help at offensive tackle but the chance to add the best defensive end in the draft is too good to pass up.

Partial
12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
If I had to guess right now, I'm guessing either DE Everette Brown or OT Eugene Monroe.

Did you watxh the Wisconsin game? Brown was abused by a tight end for crying out loud! What say you?

RashanGary
12-31-2008, 04:34 AM
I saw a game plan that was set up to neutralize him. They did screen plays, roll outs away from Brown and when it was a straight back pass, he was doubled much of the time and if not it was a veyr quick throw. While Wisconsin was in the game, they were able to run a game plan that didn't give Brown very many chances to pin his ears back and rush the passer.

However, as the game went on and Wisconsin had to pass, they were forced away from their "neutralize Brown" game plan. They started to do some base drop back passes and could less afford to keep doubles on Brown every normal drop back pass. They also were not sophisticated enough to adjust their blockign protections on the fly to keep up with Brown moving around a little.

When Brown started seeing real pass rush opportunites where he was not doubled, where they did not roll away and where they did not screen or throw a quick slant, he started to impact the game and allowed FSU to finish off a Wisconsin team that could not handle him while playing from behind. He had one sack that he set up with his speed outside and then spun inside. He had another near sack where he was lined up at RDT. He rushed hard outside, did a spin inside (in the mean time, the OG was setting up to block his initial outside move. BRown regained his balances after the quick spin and used the guards weight and momentum against him, shoving the 320+ LB guy a couple yards aside, nearly on his ass and then he exploded up in the QB's grill. Not too many guys do what Everette Brown does. If you want to lose the game, you can game plan your whole game around him, but if you want to try to score (and eventually Wisconsin did) he's going to get his chances and you are going to feel the pain. He had several other impressive speed rushes and got under the OT's pads several time, driving the OT back into the QB's lap.

Quite frankly, Brown was more impressive in one game than Orakpo's entire careers worth of highlight clips.

Fred's Slacks
12-31-2008, 08:10 AM
I have to agree with JH. I'm no DL expert but from the clips I've seen, I like Brown better. He definately seems more explosive. I didn't get to see most of the Badger game but I did like what I saw from Brown in the limited plays I did see. He seems to constantly out "quick" the OL off the line and get himself in position to get penetration. He seems to use his hands well, which is rare I think for a college player. I think he could have an instant impact on our pass rush.

ND72
12-31-2008, 08:19 AM
He "out quicked" a WISCONSIN Badger 350 pound Offensive Lineman? Shocking.

Ballboy
12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
I watched all the Badgers game watching for Brown as I knew he would be possibly a top pick.

Yes, he got one sack, but if you watched closely, Graham blocked him most of the game....and for those that don't know, Graham is a TE!!!!!

If a college TE can block you, what do you think LT in the NFL will do to you?

TennesseePackerBacker
12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm not sold on any of the top DE's coming out this year. Did anyone hear Derrick Harvey's name this year? That's the DE Jacksonville picked 8th or 9th last year. DE's, as with any D-line pick really are a crapshoot. I highly doubt there is any correlation between spot picked and production.

Now, 1st round Safties and LT's have a much better history of panning out. We'll have our choice from 2 or 3 LT's and possibly Mays. A trade down in to the mid teens would allow the Pack to still land one of the LT's, take a flyer on one of the DE's since they now fit in to one of the BPA slots, or there will also be plenty of RB talent to choose from. While many of you haven't expressed this opinion(I know some have), I believe not having a home run/change of pace back really hinders the Packers rushing attack.

The only DE I would want to see drafted at pick #9 is Michael Johnson. He's only had one starting season but was very productive and has the frame and physical attributes to be a monster in the NFL. Brown, Orakapo, and all the other midget DE's are big gambles with such a high draft pick.

swede
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not sold on any of the top DE's coming out this year. Did anyone hear Derrick Harvey's name this year? That's the DE Jacksonville picked 8th or 9th last year. DE's, as with any D-line pick really are a crapshoot. I highly doubt there is any correlation between spot picked and production.

Now, 1st round Safties and LT's have a much better history of panning out. We'll have our choice from 2 or 3 LT's and possibly Mays. A trade down in to the mid teens would allow the Pack to still land one of the LT's, take a flyer on one of the DE's since they now fit in to one of the BPA slots, or there will also be plenty of RB talent to choose from. While many of you haven't expressed this opinion(I know some have), I believe not having a home run/change of pace back really hinders the Packers rushing attack.

The only DE I would want to see drafted at pick #9 is Michael Johnson. He's only had one starting season but was very productive and has the frame and physical attributes to be a monster in the NFL. Brown, Orakapo, and all the other midget DE's are big gambles with such a high draft pick.

Good points.

I still trust TT more than Mel Kiper. If he trades down it will be to get the two guys he wanted instead of one he didn't want.

Ballboy
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Yup, solid points. I still would like 3 out of our top 4 picks to be on D, the 4th being a OL

Partial
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
HAHAHAHA seriously? You're claiming that the Badger game for Brown was MORE impressive than all of Orakpo's career.

Dude, you are laughable. He was manhandled. They ran right at him because he is a L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y. They ran the screen pass right at him because he doesn't have any instincts and was trying to earn a paycheck instead of playing within the system and would pin his ears back and burst at the passer play after play.

So let me get this straight: They gameplanned to run right at him, blocking him with a TE. He was beaten.

When they did drop back to pass, they blocked him with a TE. He was beaten.

When they wanted to run a screen, they passed right where he should be played, knowing he was playing for a paycheck not to win the game. He was beaten.

He was 0-3 in the responsibilities for a DE. How is that a good thing? He was the 2nd or 3rd best DE on the field. Shaughnessy out classed him by a mile.

He was manhandled by a TE. A college tight end for crying out loud.

The one sack was a result of Sherer being the worst quarterback in college football. Dude is beyond awful. Eventually when you're holding the ball for 5 seconds the rushers are going to get to you.

Your defense for a pitiful performance was laughable. What you call making a game plan to neutralize him, I, as well as anyone else with a keen eye for football, call attacking an incomplete player.

2nd day pick at best.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Partial you had a lot of good points until you're very last line, you should just go back and delete that. Everette Brown will be a first round draft choice, and at the very least a mid 2nd, I just hope not with the Packers.

Partial
12-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Partial you had a lot of good points until you're very last line, you should just go back and delete that. Everette Brown will be a first round draft choice, and at the very least a mid 2nd, I just hope not with the Packers.

He'll be a top 15 pick. I just don't want anything to do with him on the Packers first day. I'd take him for his burst on the second day in a heart beat.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-31-2008, 05:48 PM

He'll be a top 15 pick. I just don't want anything to do with him on the Packers first day. I'd take him for his burst on the second day in a heart beat.

Agreed, on another note, Raji looks like a real monster against a decent Vandy O-line. Pick #9 in the second round would be a steal for him. He really collapses the pocket and applies a lot of pressure to the interior, something the Packer's sorely miss without Corey Williams. I believe our lack of an inside pass-rush is just a big of a need as our lack of DE pass rush.

Fred's Slacks
12-31-2008, 06:34 PM
He "out quicked" a WISCONSIN Badger 350 pound Offensive Lineman? Shocking.

Well, I will again preface this by saying I don't claim to be a DL expert but what I was saying was based on more than the Badger game. I watched some highlights and was more impressed by his burst than Orakpo's. I won't say that I'll be mad if they don't get him, but from what I've seen I think he looks like he could be a solid pro if he has the right attitude.

pack4to84
12-31-2008, 07:23 PM
HAHAHAHA seriously? You're claiming that the Badger game for Brown was MORE impressive than all of Orakpo's career.

Dude, you are laughable. He was manhandled. They ran right at him because he is a L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y. They ran the screen pass right at him because he doesn't have any instincts and was trying to earn a paycheck instead of playing within the system and would pin his ears back and burst at the passer play after play.

So let me get this straight: They gameplanned to run right at him, blocking him with a TE. He was beaten.

When they did drop back to pass, they blocked him with a TE. He was beaten.

When they wanted to run a screen, they passed right where he should be played, knowing he was playing for a paycheck not to win the game. He was beaten.

He was 0-3 in the responsibilities for a DE. How is that a good thing? He was the 2nd or 3rd best DE on the field. Shaughnessy out classed him by a mile.

He was manhandled by a TE. A college tight end for crying out loud.

The one sack was a result of Sherer being the worst quarterback in college football. Dude is beyond awful. Eventually when you're holding the ball for 5 seconds the rushers are going to get to you.

Your defense for a pitiful performance was laughable. What you call making a game plan to neutralize him, I, as well as anyone else with a keen eye for football, call attacking an incomplete player.

2nd day pick at best.I agree with Partial for once. If a TE can block you one on one most of the game you are J.Reynolds all over again. He just got over matched in the NFL.

pack4to84
12-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Jamal Reynolds scouting report
6'3 267

Positives: Superior playing speed and quickness. Comes off the ball like a shot and can really explode up the field. Tremendous pass rusher off the edge, where he often beats left tackles cleanly with just pure speed. Is very athletic and has catlike quickness, exceptional balance and coordination and good change of direction. Plays hard and competes well. Is like a shark who smells blood when he thinks he can get a sack.

Negatives: Lacks size and bulk strength. Will have problems holding the point of attack on the next level. Has trouble shedding if the blocker gets his hands on him quickly. May be more of a pass-rush specialist than an every-down player, unless he becomes a 3-4 outside rush ’backer. But not many clubs use the 3-4 anymore.

Summary: One of the best, if not the best, pure pass rushers in the draft, but he is more one-dimensional than teams would like.

pack4to84
01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
another player dropping because of his performance in bowl game Matt Stafford, Georgia at the half he is 3-11 ouch. He has a big arm but inaccurate. Reminds me of Heath Shuler.

Lurker64
01-01-2009, 01:56 PM
another player dropping because of his performance in bowl game Matt Stafford, Georgia at the half he is 3-11 ouch. He has a big arm but inaccurate. Reminds me of Heath Shuler.

Isn't he a junior? Presumably, as his stock drops, he's less and less likely to declare.

pack4to84
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
well I might have spoken to soon. He is heating up now. Looks like the coach opened up the play book to start the second half. Better play calling, you could see him gain confidence. 6-7 for 92 yards and a TD last drive.

Guiness
01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree with Partial for once. If a TE can block you one on one most of the game you are J.Reynolds all over again. He just got over matched in the NFL.

Am I the only one that thinks we should be looking to draft the TE that blocked him? :lol:

Partial
01-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I agree with Partial for once. If a TE can block you one on one most of the game you are J.Reynolds all over again. He just got over matched in the NFL.

Am I the only one that thinks we should be looking to draft the TE that blocked him? :lol:

Nope, I made a thread in support of drafting Garrett Graham! :lol:

mission
01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Im looking forward to watching the boys on USC defense... rooting Penn State because of JoPA, but would love to see Taylor Mays come our way...

pack4to84
01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
After watching the Rose Bowl I want Maualuga or Mays. Maualuga is all over the field. Reminds me of Junior Seau. Mays had a big hit. You have to see replay of it. He knocked 2 players out. Mays is a FS that is a big hitter. WR look for him every time they enter his area. Saw one WR look for him before even try to make the catch and went out of bounds before Mays could get to him. He didn't even attempt to catch it. Alligator arms!

mission
01-01-2009, 07:39 PM
He led with his helmet on that one but wow... knocked out two players. The name that kept popping into my head is/was Sean Taylor... he plays fuckin mean.

b bulldog
01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
aGREE, I saw Taylor play a lot at the U and the two are close. I like both SC players and both would be a welcomed addition to our D. All the DE's I've seen so far have been nobody I'd come close to drafting in the top 10 but Orakpo is probably the best of that group imo and he'll be playing against a good T when they play the Bucks.

Bretsky
01-01-2009, 08:06 PM
After watching the Rose Bowl I want Maualuga or Mays. Maualuga is all over the field. Reminds me of Junior Seau. Mays had a big hit. You have to see replay of it. He knocked 2 players out. Mays is a FS that is a big hitter. WR look for him every time they enter his area. Saw one WR look for him before even try to make the catch and went out of bounds before Mays could get to him. He didn't even attempt to catch it. Alligator arms!

BOTH were very impressive and I'd love to see either

Speaking of, that Cincy Punter has a rocket leg and the announcers said he's hands down the best punter in college football. Called him a weapon.

He'd be a dam nice edition as well :!:

b bulldog
01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
The crop of DE's is really weak. Need to cover the DL in UFA. i'D LEAN TOWARDS rEY AND MOVE bARNETT OUT OF THE MIDDLE. I think a healthy Collins and Bigby are fine.

Joemailman
01-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Agreed, on another note, Raji looks like a real monster against a decent Vandy O-line. Pick #9 in the second round would be a steal for him. He really collapses the pocket and applies a lot of pressure to the interior, something the Packer's sorely miss without Corey Williams. I believe our lack of an inside pass-rush is just a big of a need as our lack of DE pass rush.

I like Raji a lot, but most see him as a late 1st round pick, around #25 or so. If those forecasts are close to accurate, TT won't reach that far to fill a need. DE, LB or OT are more likely picks at #9.

swede
01-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Jamal Reynolds scouting report
6'3 267

Positives: Superior playing speed and quickness...Plays hard and competes well. Is like a shark who smells blood when he thinks he can get a sack.

Negatives: Lacks size and bulk strength. Will have problems holding the point of attack on the next level. Has trouble shedding if the blocker gets his hands on him quickly. May be more of a pass-rush specialist than an every-down player, unless he becomes a 3-4 outside rush ’backer. But not many clubs use the 3-4 anymore.

Summary: One of the best, if not the best, pure pass rushers in the draft, but he is more one-dimensional than teams would like.

I went to a Packers TC practice and had JR walk by not two feet away from me with his shoulder pads and jersey off. NO WAY was he 267 lb. He was wasp-waisted, had skinny legs and no butt. I seriously doubt he weighed 250 after three weeks of training camp.

Sorry. Old news, I know. But this team deserves a little luck out of its first round pick for once, and JR--and the resulting string of moves meant to fix the problem of his being a bust--was more devastating to this team than the Incredible Bulk ever was.

mission
01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
So Swede ... what you're saying is that we drafted a 250 lbs white girl? :P

swede
01-01-2009, 09:19 PM
So Swede ... what you're saying is that we drafted a 250 lbs white girl? :P

Well, he was really pretty, what with those taut muscles gleaming under that coffee-colored skin.

He was definitely no white girl, though, but if one were going to drop the soap for somebody in prison one could do worse.

swede
01-01-2009, 09:27 PM
After today's bowl games, did anybody see a college player they added to their wish list on draft day?

HarveyWallbangers
01-01-2009, 09:45 PM
The crop of DE's is really weak. Need to cover the DL in UFA. i'D LEAN TOWARDS rEY AND MOVE bARNETT OUT OF THE MIDDLE. I think a healthy Collins and Bigby are fine.

I think I agree with you here. We need to find a FA DL (Chris Canty maybe?). Rey in the middle. Barnett to OLB. I'd like to see competition at S, but you can draft a good safety in the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus, there are tons of good available FA safeties.

mission
01-01-2009, 10:01 PM

I think I agree with you here. We need to find a FA DL (Chris Canty maybe?). Rey in the middle. Barnett to OLB. I'd like to see competition at S, but you can draft a good safety in the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus, there are tons of good available FA safeties.

That sounds like a safe bet...

And swede, I was referring to your "no butt" comment... so you kinda lost me but I'm gonna just chalk it up to generation gap and refrain from judgement :D

Zool
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
You could do a lot worse than Barnett and Hawk at OLB and that would force Poopinga out of the starting lineup. Barnett has always been very strong covering TE's but stares too long into the backfield letting RB's escape into the flat. Put him in space and let him use that speed.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-01-2009, 10:07 PM
After today's bowl games, did anybody see a college player they added to their wish list on draft day?

Mays hands down, I'm not sure if 'Luga even fits the scheme. Also I'd love to see the Pack grab Shonn Greene with their 2nd round pick, and as far as the DE's go, Johnson, Brown, Maybin, none have really impressed me that much.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I wasn't all that impressed with anybody, although I didn't watch any game all the way, and none of some of them. Maulaluga did not impress me at all. Mays did for the type of player he is, but he's a hitter--no indication one way or the other that he is good in coverage.

I think a lot of people don't take into consideration that any of these guys on USC or some other great defensive team are going to look better than they really are because the team around them is so good. I'm looking forward to seeing Malcolm Jenkins--although he, too, may be magnified because he plays on a great defense.

Partial
01-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I didn't see the game today but I'm assuming Luga was impressive from the comments? Summary please of the draftables players performance!!

Partial
01-02-2009, 12:03 AM

I'd be down with Canty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Canty_(defensive_end)).

pack4to84
01-02-2009, 05:39 AM
replay of Taylor Mays hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7m3QtQJus

mission
01-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Just watched the replay of the BC / Vandy game ... This Raji DT guy is unstoppable and huge.

They got a few guys on defense that look like they might get some mid round notice ...

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Just watched the replay of the BC / Vandy game ... This Raji DT guy is unstoppable and huge.

I would definitely be happy with Raji. At least, assuming that Haynesworth has signed with somebody (not us) at that point. He is immense and dominant. There's a great video on youtube where he tackles the ballcarrier by hitting him with the guy who's trying to block him.

I don't know if Raji is great value at 9, but he's fun to watch.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 12:09 PM

I don't want to see Barnett moved outside. After watching this defensive collapse after losing Barnett and moving Hawk inside, I think people are REALLY underestimating Barnett's value as a MLB. Barnett's skill set might be better for an OLB, but his experience is as a MLB and that's what is most important IMO. I am perfectly fine going into 2009 with Hawk, Barnett, and Chillar as our starters. I am happy with Poppinga and Bishop as their backups. I don't really see a glaring need at LB to be honest.

MJZiggy
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM

I would definitely be happy with Raji. At least, assuming that Haynesworth has signed with somebody (not us) at that point. He is immense and dominant. There's a great video on youtube where he tackles the ballcarrier by hitting him with the guy who's trying to block him.

I've never understood that. People talk about you can't take a guy who's ranked 17th at pick 9, but if you want the guy and don't take him, then you don't get him because you don't pick again until the second round. I'd think, you take who you want when you pick. Silly concept I know.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM

I don't want to see Barnett moved outside. After watching this defensive collapse after losing Barnett and moving Hawk inside, I think people are REALLY underestimating Barnett's value as a MLB. Barnett's skill set might be better for an OLB, but his experience is as a MLB and that's what is most important IMO. I am perfectly fine going into 2009 with Hawk, Barnett, and Chillar as our starters. I am happy with Poppinga and Bishop as their backups. I don't really see a glaring need at LB to be honest.

Plus, anyway, if they're going to draft a LB, Maualuga should probably be third on the LB board. Both Curry and Spikes (if he comes out) would be better picks for the Pack. We'd only be in position to take Maualuga at 9 if we both need a LB and two LBs get taken in the top 8.

At the same time though, even though we don't really need an LB, if Aaron Curry is there at 9 you take him. Curry is likely the best defensive player in the draft.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I've never understood that. People talk about you can't take a guy who's ranked 17th at pick 9, but if you want the guy and don't take him, then you don't get him because you don't pick again until the second round. I'd think, you take who you want when you pick. Silly concept I know.

Though, it does make sense when you realize that you can trade down and acquire value. If you are picking at 9 and you want a guy who is unlikely to go until 17, you can trade down to 14 and acquire additional picks and still get the guy you want. Sometimes this blows up on you though, since I'm guessing Thompson was planning on snagging Brandon Flowers in the spot Jordy Nelson was taken.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Though, it does make sense when you realize that you can trade down and acquire value. If you are picking at 9 and you want a guy who is unlikely to go until 17, you can trade down to 14 and acquire additional picks and still get the guy you want. Sometimes this blows up on you though, since I'm guessing Thompson was planning on snagging Brandon Flowers in the spot Jordy Nelson was taken.

Meh, there have been bigger disappointments than getting Jordy Nelson instead of Brandon Flowers. I don't think it blew up too badly.

MJZiggy
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
That works if you can find some sucker willing to trade half his draft away to move up in the draft order...Sherman's out of the league, remember.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM
That works if you can find some sucker willing to trade half his draft away to move up in the draft order...Sherman's out of the league, remember.

You don't need to get half of somebody's draft in order to make this a good idea. Last year New England moved down from 7 to 10 and in that deal they traded their 5th round pick for a 3rd round pick, and still got the guy they wanted.

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM

You want to get an impact player at #9. If TT thinks Raji is one, there is nothing wrong with taking him. However, if TT thinks that Raji is a good player, but not an exceptional one, it would be better to take an exceptional player at another position. It's relatively easy to find good players. Great players are gold.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM

Plus, anyway, if they're going to draft a LB, Maualuga should probably be third on the LB board. Both Curry and Spikes (if he comes out) would be better picks for the Pack. We'd only be in position to take Maualuga at 9 if we both need a LB and two LBs get taken in the top 8.

At the same time though, even though we don't really need an LB, if Aaron Curry is there at 9 you take him. Curry is likely the best defensive player in the draft.

Agree about Curry; he's a great talent

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's that I mentioned earlier play where Raji tackles the ballcarrier by hitting him with the blocker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4). The guy just has a fantastic burst at the snap.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Raji would not be bad--apparently--assuming he doesn't go the way of Harrell with injuries. Raji could be something like Haynesworth, then again he could have just been playing against inferior competition.

Jordan Gross, the OT, might be worth taking--a guy with the mobility for ZBS and the bulk some are whining for. We probably are better off getting a couple of ZBS types in the 3rd-5th, though.

We really don't need a linebacker, although I agree, those other two did look better than Maulaluga.

I'd still prefer getting a super stud cover corner--Jenkins or Davis--than anything else.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Raji would not be bad--apparently--assuming he doesn't go the way of Harrell with injuries. Raji could be something like Haynesworth, then again he could have just been playing against inferior competition.

Thankfully, I'm guessing that since Jagodzinski has been Raji's college coach for the past couple of years, the Packers might not have a hard time getting candid information from his coaches.

He's the sort of guy that, if he plays well at the senior bowl, will go shooting up draft charts since the "inferior competition" tag will start to dissipate.

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 01:06 PM

The issue is who is doing the ranking. The only rankings that matter on draft day are the rankings the teams themselves make.

You wouldn't pass on the guy YOU ranked #9 in favor of the guy that YOU ranked #17, or else you wouldn't have ranked them that way in the first place.

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I'll be interested to watch Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy in the title game. He's projected to be in the Packer's range if he goes pro (as a redshirt sophomore) this year. I'm wondering if he's really that good, or if he's just benefitting from some buzz because it's not a great year for DT's. I'd like to know that he's physically and emotionally mature enough to make the transition.

The last DT to get drafted that high, that young, was Amobi Okoye by the Texans. By all accounts he was a hard working, high character guy yet it sounds like the transition has been a struggle for him.

rbaloha1
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM
If we stay at #9 -- many of the defensive players previously mentioned are worthy except maybe Malauauga.

An impact defensive player should be available if Bradford (Oklahoma), Stafford + Moreno (Georgia) and Sanchez (USC) decide to enter the draft.

But if the player TT covets is taken -- trade down and select Spikes. Much more disciplined than Maluauga with same MO.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
If we stay at #9 -- many of the defensive players previously mentioned are worthy except maybe Malauauga.

An impact defensive player should be available if Bradford (Oklahoma), Stafford + Moreno (Georgia) and Sanchez (USC) decide to enter the draft.

But if the player TT covets is taken -- trade down and select Spikes. Much more disciplined than Maluauga with same MO.

Dont forget Crabtree, he's surely to be a top 10 pick if he declares. Possibly allowing Curry to slide to 9. Without the Combine this is all speculation of course.

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Sanchez and Bradford if they come out, in light of the success of Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco.

It seemed like the trend recently was that maybe one big time QB would go high, and the rest would fall to the end of the 1st or the 2nd because teams were scrared off by the high salaries and high bust frequency. Will two rookie QB's in the playoffs cause collective NFL amnesia about guys like Couch, Leaf, etc?

Stafford has all the physical tools and should be a lock for top 5, if not #1. Sanchez looked like the best player on the field at the Rose Bowl. If he does slip, someone will get a bargain.

rbaloha1
01-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Dont forget Crabtree, he's surely to be a top 10 pick if he declares. Possibly allowing Curry to slide to 9. Without the Combine this is all speculation of course.

Good point. Crabtree ensures even a better defensive player for us. IMO Crabtree requires serious consideration if available at #9.

packrulz
01-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Walterfootball has the Packers taking Jenkins at 9, I'd be thrilled. I was disturbed to read that Harris told someone he might not be back next year, I wonder where that is coming from.

9. Green Bay Packers: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Green Bay has major problems in its secondary. Charles Woodson had to move to safety this season, and it appears as though he's staying there. Woodson turns 33 soon, so his days at corner are pretty much numbered. Meanwhile, Al Harris told the media that he probably won't be back next year. Tramon Williams played well, but the Packers don't really have anything else at corner, unless you want to count Patrick Lee, who couldn't even get on to the field in 2008.

RashanGary
01-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Everette Brown is still my guy (whether we run 4-3 or 3-4). He's just a great pass rusher.

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Walterfootball has the Packers taking Jenkins at 9, I'd be thrilled. I was disturbed to read that Harris told someone he might not be back next year, I wonder where that is coming from.

Possibly he is a realist. It's conceivable that he might break his legs skiing or in a car accident and thus be unable to play next year, and hence "not back."

Packnut
01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I just hope with all the heat on Teddy, he pays attention to the most logical and time proven statement known to man which is "those who fail to understand and learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

In the NFL, it's a philosophy to live by. Any defense that can generate pressure with their front four is going to win a lot of games. Run the ball and stop the run. Thompson has failed on both counts. 4 years to get an offensive line and we're still not settled there. Our porous run D was exposed in the NFC Tittle game and NOTHING was done to correct it.

This draft will have a huge effect on determining our future. We have a ton of holes on this team. D-line, LB, saftey and O-line. There will be NO EXCUSE at #9 not to draft an immediate impact player at one of these positions. We can't have another Harrell type blunder. Had he taken Reggie Nelson and not the injury riddled guy he took, saftey would now be a position of HUGE strength. You just can't afford to miss on an important pick because it sets off a chain reaction.

Until we know who the new DC will be, it's impossible to make a choice as to who our pick should be. Drafting LB's high up is a no-no (see AJ Hawk). The reason for this is pretty simple. Most of the hyped LB's play on teams with good D lines, therefore allowing them to make plays. Hawk at OS is the perfect example. Find me a solid LB from a school where he had to take on blockers and STILL make plays and I'll show you a good NFL LB. You can find these type players in the second and third rds.

May-be it's time for the old Mike Sherman draft move. Take a DL with your first 3 picks and hope to God you hit one out of 3. As I recall, Sherman did that with the CB position years ago.

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Green Bay has major problems in its secondary

Walter needs to learn more about the teams before posting. Walter obviously doesn't know where the major problems lie with the Packers defense. I'm a Jenkins fan though. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Jenkins is the pick, but only if we shore up our front 7 in FA.

packrulz
01-09-2009, 05:47 AM

Walter needs to learn more about the teams before posting. Walter obviously doesn't know where the major problems lie with the Packers defense. I'm a Jenkins fan though. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Jenkins is the pick, but only if we shore up our front 7 in FA.

I think he's referring to Harris leaving, (maybe because M3 fired Washington?), and the safeties were banged up all year, if they move Woodson to safety, who will be left to play CB? Tramon Williams played ok, Lee didn't show much yet, Jenkins might be the best DB in the draft. DL doesn't impress me at #9 overall.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 05:54 AM
I just hope with all the heat on Teddy, he pays attention to the most logical and time proven statement known to man which is "those who fail to understand and learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

In the NFL, it's a philosophy to live by. Any defense that can generate pressure with their front four is going to win a lot of games. Run the ball and stop the run. Thompson has failed on both counts. 4 years to get an offensive line and we're still not settled there. Our porous run D was exposed in the NFC Tittle game and NOTHING was done to correct it.

This draft will have a huge effect on determining our future. We have a ton of holes on this team. D-line, LB, saftey and O-line. There will be NO EXCUSE at #9 not to draft an immediate impact player at one of these positions. We can't have another Harrell type blunder. Had he taken Reggie Nelson and not the injury riddled guy he took, saftey would now be a position of HUGE strength. You just can't afford to miss on an important pick because it sets off a chain reaction.

Until we know who the new DC will be, it's impossible to make a choice as to who our pick should be. Drafting LB's high up is a no-no (see AJ Hawk). The reason for this is pretty simple. Most of the hyped LB's play on teams with good D lines, therefore allowing them to make plays. Hawk at OS is the perfect example. Find me a solid LB from a school where he had to take on blockers and STILL make plays and I'll show you a good NFL LB. You can find these type players in the second and third rds.

May-be it's time for the old Mike Sherman draft move. Take a DL with your first 3 picks and hope to God you hit one out of 3. As I recall, Sherman did that with the CB position years ago.

That was actually Ron Wolf who did that. He took Antoine/Antwan Edwards, Fred something or other, and then Mike Mckenzie. Only Mckenzie worked out, though Fred what's his name was traded to Seattle for some running back named Ahman Green.

packrulz
01-09-2009, 05:56 AM

That was actually Ron Wolf who did that. He took Antoine/Antwan Edwards, Fred something or other, and then Mike Mckenzie. Only Mckenzie worked out, though Fred what's his name was traded to Seattle for some running back named Ahman Green. Vinson, pretty good trade.

SkinBasket
01-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Or is he referring to the Ahmoey Carroway experiment?

cpk1994
01-09-2009, 06:09 AM

I think he's referring to Harris leaving....

Really? I'd like to know Walter's source if that is the case becuase I could swear that Al is still under contract to the Packers.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 06:12 AM
cpk, you know it's that time of year where all kinds of crazy sh-t starts flying around. Someone somewhere will soon swear that TT has already make his decision on all FA's, his first three picks, and the next ST coach...

packrulz
01-09-2009, 06:12 AM

I think he's referring to Harris leaving....

Really? I'd like to know Walter's source if that is the case becuase I could swear that Al is still under contract to the Packers. Me too, I hope it's not true.

packrulz
01-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Everette Brown is still my guy (whether we run 4-3 or 3-4). He's just a great pass rusher. Scout.com has them taking Brown, new update: http://profootball.scout.com/2/825813.html

Fritz
01-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Everette Brown is still my guy (whether we run 4-3 or 3-4). He's just a great pass rusher. Scout.com has them taking Brown, new update: http://profootball.scout.com/2/825813.html

Are you frickin' out of your mind?? A Florida State defensive lineman?

Pack-man
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
If Gerald McCoy declares for the draft then he's my choice. Packers DT's were terrible last year. He would be an imeadiate upgrade.

Pack-man
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Damn thats a horrible mock. There are 4 guys they have after Brown I would take before him. Maualuga, Orakpo, Curry & Mays.

And no frickin way I want to touch another Florida State DL that high ever again. Wasn't Jamal Reynolds the 9th pick also?

SkinBasket
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I've used testicular divination to predict the will of Ted Thompson versus the predicated flow of universal truths. Two souls emerged from the miasma.

The Packers will draft Terrence Cody in the first round. I'm assuming there would be a trade down involved, but the unyielding veil of mysterious fate does not allow such details to be revealed even to such powerful majicks as I have.

Just before I stopped rubbing the source of my divination, another bright light stepped forth unexpectedly. Colgate's Jim Meara will join the team after the draft, which leads me to believe we will be running at least some 3-4 next season.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
If Gerald McCoy declares for the draft then he's my choice. Packers DT's were terrible last year. He would be an immediate upgrade.

Agreed, the Packers sorely miss the kind of inside pressure McCoy generates. JH, please quit the Everette Brown bandwagon, he's crap and isnt even the best overrated DE in the draft(that would be Orakapo). McCoy was all over the field last night and showed amazing speed for a DT. Dare I say another Warren Sapp? That's foolish speculation, but not as foolish as wanting a pass-rush specialist DE when your team needs an ever down DE. Teams certanily won't be afraid to run at Brown.

red
01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
the one thing i would add about the dt vs. de debate is that we have jenkins

if we draft a DT, then jenkins probably sticks at DE full time, or close to full time. jenkins gets almost no rush off the end

however, if you drafted a DE, the jenkins could play DE on the running plays like he's been doing, while the young guy matures, and then move into the middle on passing plays. jenkins IS a better inside rusher. then you pretty much improve 2 positions by drafting one

TennesseePackerBacker
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
the one thing i would add about the dt vs. de debate is that we have jenkins

if we draft a DT, then jenkins probably sticks at DE full time, or close to full time. jenkins gets almost no rush off the end

however, if you drafted a DE, the jenkins could play DE on the running plays like he's been doing, while the young guy matures, and then move into the middle on passing plays. jenkins IS a better inside rusher. then you pretty much improve 2 positions by drafting one

But can Jenkins stay healthy? Your theory is sound but it hinges on an unreliable player. If we had to draft a first round DE then I guess i'd have to side with Orakapo, but I see more sure-fire picks out there.

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Truer words have never been spoken. The fact that the scouting staff here wasn't able to determine that Jamal Reynolds should not have been drafted in the top 10 gives me little confidence in the scouting staff making the determination as to whether Everette Brown belongs in the top 10.

Personally, I'm hoping Oakland takes him.

Partial
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Not only that, but a Florida Satate Defensive Linemen that was dominated by an average Badgers team that ran their offense directly at him? Liability. If the Packers draft him, I will be writing a letter demanding the head of the GM. That would be the silliest of silly picks. I'll take him on day 2, but some other chump will take him in round 1.

mission
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
if we draft an FSU Dlineman I promise to quit this site (Ill come back if/when he gets 10+ sacks) ... :evil:

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Right now, I'm liking Curry, Mays, Maualuga, McCoy, and Raji. I'm pretty much down on all of the DEs.

rbaloha1
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Right now, I'm liking Curry, Mays, Maualuga, McCoy, and Raji. I'm pretty much down on all of the DEs.

Curry -- yes if available
Mays -- yes if available
Maualuga -- too high at #9
McCoy-- yes if available
Raji -- which player are your referring to?
DEs -- look like Tarzan play like Jane

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM

B.J. Raji, short fireplug DT from Boston College, could play NT in the 3-4. Strong, nasty, tough, stout on the run, has a quick first step and can collapse the pocket, very athletic for a guy his size and build. Has some questions about intelligence, maturity, and conditioning (though most 330 lb men have questions about conditioning), but he was really motivated and played very well this year. With a good DL coach, he could be great.

Not that Notre Dame was any good on offense this year, but this play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4) is one of my favorite plays made by a college DT in recent memory.

rbaloha1
01-09-2009, 06:54 PM

B.J. Raji, short fireplug DT from Boston College, could play NT in the 3-4. Strong, nasty, tough, stout on the run, has a quick first step and can collapse the pocket, very athletic for a guy his size and build. Has some questions about intelligence, maturity, and conditioning (though most 330 lb men have questions about conditioning), but he was really motivated and played very well this year. With a good DL coach, he could be great.

Not that Notre Dame was any good on offense this year, but this play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4) is one of my favorite plays made by a college DT in recent memory.

Second day pick.

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Second day pick.

Raji has a first round grade. He probably doesn't have a top 10 grade, but no way he even gets to the second with the weak class of DTs this year. He's absolutely the best Sr. DT this year.

Depending on whether Cody and/or McCody come out, Raji will be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd DT off the board.

Freak Out
01-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Talk about putting the shoulder down and plowing ahead... :lol:

Joemailman
01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Most mocks have Raji going 20-25. I suspect he'll go earlier than that because he is the best of the 300 lb+ DT's, pending Cody's decision. Taking him at #9 might be a reach though.

mission
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM

Second day pick.

You must not have watched the bowl game huh?

Second day pick? As in Round 3+??? ... All-time NFL draft steal if that happens ...

red
01-09-2009, 07:58 PM
raji will not last to the second day, we would have god smiling on us if he somehow fell to us in the second

almost all mocks have him going somewhere in the first, and that was before his bowl game

he looked very dominate in it

right now i'm guessing he'll go 10-20

whats with curry? what makes him special? i've never seen him play

what makes him different then say a hawk type of LB?

mission
01-09-2009, 08:05 PM
raji will not last to the second day, we would have god smiling on us if he somehow fell to us in the second

almost all mocks have him going somewhere in the first, and that was before his bowl game

he looked very dominate in it

right now i'm guessing he'll go 10-20

whats with curry? what makes him special? i've never seen him play

what makes him different then say a hawk type of LB?

+1

Ive honestly heard nothing about him besides being a top 15 pick ...

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Curry -- yes if available
Mays -- yes if available
Maualuga -- too high at #9
McCoy-- yes if available
DEs -- look like Tarzan play like Jane

Raji = Boston College DT

Way too early to tell on these guys. The major knock on Maualuga seems to be his agility and straight-line speed. If goes to the combine and runs a sub-4.6 40, I suspect his stock will go up. It may not, but he's projected to go in the teens and it's plausible he could move up. I'm not saying you'd necessarily take the guys at #9. You may trade down, but those are the guys I'm starting to like.

RashanGary
01-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm intrigued by a lot of guys. I think we should be able to get a guy we need as well as a guy that is really really good. I hope it's not a situation where the one star TT loves is a WR or QB or something like that. Of the needs, McCoy is looking better and better. I really like Everette Brown (obviously). Eugene Monroe looks like a tough dude. I think he'd be a great addition based on all of his dominate highlights on youtube and all of hte good things the draftniks have to say.

Luga and Orakpo are my least favorite. Even their highlights look pedestrian. I don't want a WR or QB at all. Other than that, I'm open to any of the top guys if TT likes them. I don't know enough to really break all of these guys down so a lot of it is going to be a wait and see. I just have a couple guys that we need that I like and a couple guys that we need that I don't. I'm really just hoping it's a star with a strong preference for a rare big body type DL/OL.

KYPack
01-09-2009, 10:38 PM
This is as good a place as any to inject this thought. As some of you know, I live in the Cincinnati area. All the drums out of the Bengals camp say they will pick one of the 3 super prospect LT's in this years draft. I go to W KY (St Louis territory) from time to time and they say the same thing.

1. Andre Smith, Alabama
2. Michael Oher, Mississippi
3. Eugene Monroe, Virginia

These guys are listed in most mocks as the top 3 OT prospects. If there really is a run on OT's. It would fill up the picks of the 8 teams above us. this could give us a better shot at some of the super talent available this year. Some great talent could slide our way.

What kinda scares me is the thought that with a run on OT's, will TT use our pick to get one of these tackles?

Or should that make me happy that we can get one?

packrulz
01-10-2009, 06:33 AM
This is as good a place as any to inject this thought. As some of you know, I live in the Cincinnati area. All the drums out of the Bengals camp say they will pick one of the 3 super prospect LT's in this years draft. I go to W KY (St Louis territory) from time to time and they say the same thing.

1. Andre Smith, Alabama

These guys are listed in most mocks as the top 3 OT prospects. If there really is a run on OT's. It would fill up the picks of the 8 teams above us. this could give us a better shot at some of the super talent available this year. Some great talent could slide our way.

What kinda scares me is the thought that with a run on OT's, will TT use our pick to get one of these tackles?

I've seen a lot of mock drafts and most of the updated ones have those 3 getting drafted in the top 7 picks. I'm sure some more juniors will declare for the draft yet so maybe that will cause one of them to slip. If Monroe and Jenkins are gone I like Gerald McCoy a lot, I think he's the best DT.

Bretsky
01-10-2009, 07:07 AM

1. Andre Smith, Alabama

I'm with you KY; I hope they are all gone

We need D D D

RashanGary
01-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm more than OK with an OT. That is a tough piece to find. Along with the addition of Sitton, I think a tough run blocking LT could change the complexion of our entire offense. We'd go from kinda finesse to kinda tough in one fell swoop. I'd be very excited about that.

I'd also be excited to add to our DL. Whatever we do, I think there is a consensus around here that we need to get tougher both with the run game and with the defensive line. If we're lucky, need will meet best player and we'll add a great piece to plug in right now.

RashanGary
01-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Keep an eye on Jason Smith from Baylor. He's a 300 lb LT that is moving fast up the rankings. ESPN has him #11. nfldraftscout has him near the top and so does nfldraft countdown. Those are my three favorite draft sites and all agree he's right near the top 10.

He fits really well with what we do also. Just an outside shot. He's not the road grader type, but very athletic and is said to really lock on to his guy and play bigger than his 300 lbs. I like Eugene Monroe best but I think he'll be gone.

I think he'd need a year in an NFL weight program to add a couple lbs and get comfortable with the offense. Most college guys need a year or two to get NFL tough, but if he was a 10 year mainstay at LT, I think we'd all look back on it as a really good pick.

Bretsky
01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
At #9 with a roster with plenty of holes our expectation of a #9 pick should be immediate help

This draft seems pretty good in 1-15

There will be some Pro Bowlers there

Here's to hoping TT picks a playmaker that is one of them

wist43
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
They could certainly use an OT, if he's the BPA, and he turns out... the OL needs a stabalizer.

DonHutson
01-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Keep an eye on Jason Smith from Baylor. He's a 300 lb LT that is moving fast up the rankings. ESPN has him #11. nfldraftscout has him near the top and so does nfldraft countdown. Those are my three favorite draft sites and all agree he's right near the top 10.

If I had to make a prediction (as opposed to making a wish) today, he would be the guy. He fits the scheme, he's been highly productive, and he sounds like a safe pick character-wise. He just feels like a Ted pick to me.

He'd be on my wish list too, just not quite all the way at the top. Handing him off to Campen is akin to hanging a Picasso in your doghouse, but that's another issue. Maybe he'll be good enough to play without actually learning anything after he gets here.

KYPack
01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
A possibility of 4 OT's in the first 9 picks?

Man, that shit is unheard of.

Are these guys really all locks?

mission
01-11-2009, 01:05 AM
JH is probably right about OT ... we probably should look in the OT direction if a stud is there but that's just such a boring pick -- Packer Nation will scream for more this offseason. We'll see what affect that possibly has ...

Fred's Slacks
01-11-2009, 07:58 AM
I still feel that our inconsistent play from our OL was the biggest factor in our record this year. Not to ignore the pass rush problem, but it wasn't as big a factor before Jenkins was out. I think a number of our def injuries were a result of our offensive inconsistencies, leaving the def out on the field too long early in the season. So yeah, although its not the sexy pick, I will not complain about a OT at #9.

Brando19
01-11-2009, 08:12 AM
JH is probably right about OT ... we probably should look in the OT direction if a stud is there but that's just such a boring pick -- Packer Nation will scream for more this offseason. We'll see what affect that possibly has ...

What if our draft is all OT's, a couple DT's and a punter? That'd be a boring draft...but filling holes nonetheless.

DonHutson
01-11-2009, 09:37 AM
A possibility of 4 OT's in the first 9 picks?

Man, that shit is unheard of.

Are these guys really all locks?

Four COULD go that high, I don't know if four will.

Oher would have to prove he's a left tackle. If teams think he can only play on the right side, he'll be lucky to go top 20. Monroe and J. Smith would be better fits for some teams than others. Smith in particular since he's right around 300#. If Green Bay passes on him, he could slide. And A. Smith might need to reassure some people after getting suspended for the Bowl game, and he'll need to keep showing he's the athlete people think he is as the off-season workouts etc. continue.

And then it also depends on other positions. Does another Ravens win mean teams are even more likely to take QB's higher in the draft again? If Ryan and Flacco make teams forget about all those QB busts, and get them thinking instead about going to the playoffs with a rookie - then you could see 3 QB's in the top ten. 3 QB's and 4 OT's seems pretty unlikely.

RashanGary
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
The more I learn about this draft, the more I'm thinking OT could be the pick. I like Eugene Monroe best, but from what I read, all of the guys below have a chance to be selected before or around our draft pick.

Eugene Monroe would be ideal in my opinion. He's big and strong but not immobile. He's very consistent, reliable and nasty. He would be perfect for our team.

Andre Smith is a brute. We like to run zone runs, but man, this guy is talented and we do run a lot of power runs too. We could easily just make the percentage of zones go down if the personnel changes. McCarthy seems flexible and Sitton sure isn't a prototype zone blocker. I don't think we're stuck on one scheme. Every time you hear MM, he tells McGinn that it's just false that we run majority zone runs. He says we're a flexible pro offense that adjusts to situations and players. Zone is one part of it if you ask McCarthy.

Jason Smith looks like a safe player but maybe not one with huge upside. Reminds me of D'brickshaw Ferguson. He's said to be an impressive pass protector and while he's not a road grader, he's said to be very reliable about sustaining blocks to the whistle and really doing his job consistently. He'd also be a perfect fit for a team that likes to run a good number of zone runs. If we drafted him, I could see us running a few more zone runs.

Michael Oher is a special talent from what I read. He's got some inconsistencies, but is a 4 year starter with a lot of high level competition and no injury history. He's said to be an absolute brute and maybe the most talented physical specimen in the last couple years (according to nfldraftcountdown). If you think he's a stud, he'd be a great player to pick and give one year behind Clifton learning the ropes.

Joemailman
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
The question is, Does TT believe he has Clifton's eventual replacement on the roster right now? (Colledge or Barbre). If not, I think there;s a strong possibility he goes OT with the #9 pick. He may not have this good an opportunity to draft a LT again.

DonHutson
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Jason Smith... he's said to be very reliable about sustaining blocks to the whistle and really doing his job consistently. He'd also be a perfect fit for a team that likes to run a good number of zone runs. If we drafted him, I could see us running a few more zone runs.

It also sounds like he'd be a perfect fit on an OL plagued by inconsistencies.

Michael Oher... If you think he's a stud, he'd be a great player to pick and give one year behind Clifton learning the ropes.

I'm intrigued by Oher as a RT. And prevailing wisdom be damned, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a high pick on a RT if he's a guy that can blast people off the line down after down. And if you're one of those people that's all about filling an immediate need, we could probably get another year out of Clifton, whereas Tauscher is probably done.

That said, it doesn't sound like he's a fit for the system from what I've read about him. I'd be surprised if the Packers took him.

J. Smith and Monroe seem the most likely.

RashanGary
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh man, a lineman that consistently "blasts" people off the line is exactly what this team needs.

Who knows what TT and company think about these guys but there sure are a lot of highly rated tackle prospects. If I had to guess what position we're going to draft right now I have to say, based on the number of tackle prospects along with our immediate and long term need at the position, I would put my money on offensive tackle if I had to bet on a position we were drafting.

packrulz
01-12-2009, 06:30 AM
This guy has 10 scenarios of the first 10 picks, which do sound plausible, but was produced before McCoy, Tebow, & others declared: http://thefootballexpert.com/10top10draftscenarios.html
He has the Pack taking Orakpo 3 times, Jenkins 2 times, Michael Johnson 2 times, Eugene Monroe 1 time, Vontae Davis 1 time, and RB Knowshon Moreno (interesting), 1 time. I'm becoming more of an Orakpo fan, he is highly rated and has a history of production. Another name that has been coming up on some mocks is Tyson Jackson DE, LSU, he sounds like a TT pick because he can play either DT or DE. http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008tjackson.php

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Andre Smith is a brute. We like to run zone runs, but man, this guy is talented and we do run a lot of power runs too. We could easily just make the percentage of zones go down if the personnel changes. McCarthy seems flexible and Sitton sure isn't a prototype zone blocker. I don't think we're stuck on one scheme.
Michael Oher is a special talent from what I read. He's got some inconsistencies, but is a 4 year starter with a lot of high level competition and no injury history. He's said to be an absolute brute and maybe the most talented physical specimen in the last couple years (according to nfldraftcountdown). If you think he's a stud, he'd be a great player to pick and give one year behind Clifton learning the ropes.

Andre Smith will absolutely not be available at #9. Sitton was actually drafted since UCF ran the zone blocking scheme with great success. Sitton and Barbre both flashed the ability to reach the second level and not overwhelmed.

Agreed a left tackle should be considered. Maybe Oher is the guy. As we all know, lt are highly coveted.

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 10:57 AM
This guy has 10 scenarios of the first 10 picks, which do sound plausible, but was produced before McCoy, Tebow, & others declared: http://thefootballexpert.com/10top10draftscenarios.html
He has the Pack taking Orakpo 3 times, Jenkins 2 times, Michael Johnson 2 times, Eugene Monroe 1 time, Vontae Davis 1 time, and RB Knowshon Moreno (interesting), 1 time. I'm becoming more of an Orakpo fan, he is highly rated and has a history of production. Another name that has been coming up on some mocks is Tyson Jackson DE, LSU, he sounds like a TT pick because he can play either DT or DE. http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008tjackson.php

I shall be very disappointed if Orakpo is selected. Jackson is intriguing but work ethic appears questionable.

POLISHHAWK
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM3AmHWAGEg&feature=related

I've seen a mock with us taking B.J. Raji, and thought "no way in hell he's worth a 9".... after watching some you tube stuff on him; I can see why he would be this high. He has some great moves and is just a fricken BULL! He's a moving wall. If we could move down a few spots and take' em; even better!

Lurker64
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Well, remember that it's really early. There are guys not in the first round now that may end up top 10 picks (e.g. Vernon Davis) and there are "top ten locks" now that may not be drafted in the first round at all (e.g. Chad Jackson).

Rastak
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow, ESPN's reporting DT McCoy is heading back to school.

To me that's insane. He'd probably fo top 5 and be set for life. He better take out a big assed insurance policy.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM

To me that's insane. He'd probably fo top 5 and be set for life. He better take out a big assed insurance policy.

Damn Damn Damn, I loved McCoy, and he was really the only D-lineman I felt was valued at our pick. That being said, maybe he got some unfavorable news from the NFL draft commitee. His statement makes it sound as if they told him he needed another year to assure a top 8-10 selection. I'm no Oklahoma fan but I think he's only had one solid year of starting experience.

vince
01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

I've seen a mock with us taking B.J. Raji, and thought "no way in hell he's worth a 9".... after watching some you tube stuff on him; I can see why he would be this high. He has some great moves and is just a fricken BULL! He's a moving wall. If we could move down a few spots and take' em; even better!
That spin move looked great. Otherwise, I'm no defensive line coach, but it appeared to me that Raji pretty much stood up right away on just about every one of these plays and then just overpowered the clearly lesser collegiate opponent. And those were his highlights. I don't think he will be effective vs. the men of the NFL until he changes that habit and gets his pad level lower for better leverage. He is a big dude though.

He was academically ineligible last year, which could be a red flag.

mission
01-12-2009, 04:36 PM

That spin move looked great. Otherwise, I'm no defensive line coach, but it appeared to me that Raji pretty much stood up right away on just about every one of these plays and then just overpowered the clearly lesser collegiate opponent. And those were his highlights. I don't think he will be effective vs. the men of the NFL until he changes that habit and gets his pad level lower for better leverage. He is a big dude though.

He was academically ineligible last year, which could be a red flag.

That spin move on the sack was UNREAL! Like a DE at DT ... super quick, or I'd agree with you. He was obviously overpowering that guard but seriously, his quickness for such a big guy is rare. I'd be fine with him, or even moving down a couple spots if he was assured.

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Damn Damn Damn, I loved McCoy, and he was really the only D-lineman I felt was valued at our pick. That being said, maybe he got some unfavorable news from the NFL draft commitee. His statement makes it sound as if they told him he needed another year to assure a top 8-10 selection. I'm no Oklahoma fan but I think he's only had one solid year of starting experience.

Bad news. Taylor Mays is the pick.

mission
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Has he even declared yet?

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Has he even declared yet?

no

TennesseePackerBacker
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Why bad news? I like Taylor Mays too...at #9 the Packers should have so much flexability that I don't think they can make a pick I dont like. To get locked in to one guy this early on, and with Ted Thompson drafting, is just short-sighted and stupid.

I'd be happy with Mays at 9, one of the LT's, Michael Johnson or VD and Jenkins. A trade down for Raji, Smith, or a hand full of the other prospects that don't grade out @ 9 is also certainly plausable. Hell, I'll give you 3 to 1 odds that Mays isn't the pick, but that's only because of the multitude of ways that the Packers can go with this pick.

Lurker64
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Mays hasn't declared yet, as far as I've heard. Plus, we haven't had the combine, the senior bowl, or any of the standard pre-draft machinations that cause guys to move around.

If Raji dominates in the senior bowl, and Mays runs poorly at the combine, then Raji will look like solid in the top 15 and Mays may end up a late first rounder. A lot can happen between now and April.

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Mays hasn't declared yet, as far as I've heard. Plus, we haven't had the combine, the senior bowl, or any of the standard pre-draft machinations that cause guys to move around.

If Raji dominates in the senior bowl, and Mays runs poorly at the combine, then Raji will look like solid in the top 15 and Mays may end up a late first rounder. A lot can happen between now and April.

Mays is ineligible for the Senior Bowl. By accounts Mays runs in the 4.3 range which is amazing for a man at his size. Dude hits well, solid tackler and great in coverage.

USC guys generally test well at the combine. Extremely unlikely he drops to a late first rounder.

Mays=Atwater

Lurker64
01-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Mays is ineligible for the Senior Bowl. By accounts Mays runs in the 4.3 range which is amazing for a man at his size. Dude hits well, solid tackler and great in coverage.

USC guys generally test well at the combine. Extremely unlikely he drops to a late first rounder.

Mays=Atwater

I didn't say that Mays was playing in the senior bowl. I said that "if he runs poorly in the combine" he will slip. This is true of almost anybody. Also, USC is notorious for having a fast track. Almost everybody who has ever played for USC runs faster on their track than they do at the combine. So I wouldn't trust "accounts." I will trust the combine (not that 40 times aren't terribly overrated.)

But regardless... the guy actually needs to declare for the draft before we can anoint him as the pick. USC guys may be notable for being fast, but they're also notable for sometimes staying in school when they're already top 10 picks because hell... playing in Southern Cal when the team is good and being one of the stars really might be more fun than wherever they end up in the draft.

Plus, remember this is Thompson. Thompson almost never takes the guy you expect him to pick. I wouldn't bet on anybody. Plus, if Mays is so good and he declares, who's to say he's even there at #9? Remember, Al Davis is drafting ahead of us. With the Cryptkeeper, it's plausible that anything could happen. The man does reliably take whichever guy runs the fastest, jumps the highest, etc. If he declares, Mays could very likely end up #7, regardless of what Oakland really needs. They didn't need a RB last year when they took McFadden, after all.

It's waaaaaaay to early for this. At this time, a three years ago, we were debating (on JSO) whether or not A.J. Hawk or Mario Williams should be the pick. Turns out that whether or not the Mario supporters were right, it was irrelevant since we never had a chance to draft him.

RashanGary
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Michael Oher is becoming very intriguing to me. I'm a huge fan of Eugene Monroe, but I think he'll be gone before we pick. Oher is an extremely powerful and athletic big man. He has the talent to be the best player in this draft according to reports, but his intelligence is a question.

If you think he's smart enough to get it and has the eye of the tiger (wants to work and study hard) then I think he could be well worth the #9 pick. He could end up being that superstud that plows holes in the run game and neutralizes DE's in the pass game. Certainly he's a very intriguing prospect. He's the type of player that if he pans out everyone says "Obviously this guy was a fucking man-beast. We all knew he was going to dominate" and if he fails everyone says "We all knew he was a dummy. TT is a retard for picking him". That's my favorite thing about forums, everyone talking big shit in hindsight. I can never get enough of that type of arrogance. We're all top tier GM's in our own little minds and I wouldn't want it any other way.

DonHutson
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Michael Oher is becoming very intriguing to me. I'm a huge fan of Eugene Monroe, but I think he'll be gone before we pick. Oher is an extremely powerful and athletic big man. He has the talent to be the best player in this draft according to reports, but his intelligence is a question.

If you think he's smart enough to get it and has the eye of the tiger (wants to work and study hard) then I think he could be well worth the #9 pick. He could end up being that superstud that plows holes in the run game and neutralizes DE's in the pass game. Certainly he's a very intriguing prospect. The type of player that if he pans out everyone says "Obviously this guy was a fucking man-beast. We all knew he was going to dominate" and if he fails everyone says "We all knew he was a dummy. TT is a retard".

I agree he's interesting. But read your post again and ask yourself if he sounds like a Ted pick. With four first rounders I'd say Ted has picked a smart, hard-working, ultra-productive player three times. In other words, he played it safe. Harrell was riskier as he was coming off a serious injury. And my guess would be that picking higher in the draft would make Ted more conservative, not less.

The interviews at the combine will be important for a guy like Oher. It sounds like he's a good kid from a really rough background. Is it really a question of intelligence, or is he just unpolished and playing catch-up? He could still have a huge upside if he steps up the mental part of the game. But he's still a risk.

So again I come back to guys like Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. Who else seems safe? Jenkins or Curry if they fall to #9. Maybe Mays.

RashanGary
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
He's played a lot of really good football against the best college talent. He's an extremely gifted athlete with rare lower body power. He showed some maturity going back to school in my opinion. He's started all 4 years in the SEC. I don't know, is he that big of a risk?

Overview

Oher (pronounced "Oar") arrived at Ole Miss with much fanfare -- partially because of his mammoth body and excellent athleticism and partially due to the Michael Lewis book "The Blind Side" detailing Oher's childhood and recruitment. Despite only two years of high school football -- one year on the offensive line -- he was named a Freshman All-American as a starter at right guard in 2005, then a second-team All-SEC left tackle as a sophomore before garnering first-team honors as a junior. Oher considered going pro, but returned intent on improving his run blocking and overall physicality. Oher raised his draft stock, earning All-American accolades along the way. Oher may not be able to duplicate Jake Long's feat of being the first player drafted overall, but many NFL scouts believe he is the draft's top talent.

Analysis

Positives: Prototypical left tackle build. ... Has good height and excellent athleticism. ... Unlike some left tackles, he has girth in his lower body. ... Uses his long arms to lock onto the defender to nullify the pass rush. ... Gets into his pass set quickly and has very good lateral movement. ... Not fooled by dancing on the line. ... Shows the feet to pull inside, get to either shoulder as a run blocker and nullify linebackers outside on screen passes. ... Sustains and mirrors as long as possible and will play through the whistle. ... Improvement as a run blocker as a senior. Began to play with more aggression and physicality at the second level. ... An ascending talent who should only get better.

Negatives: Only has three years experience at left tackle and is still learning the game. ... A better pass blocker than power-run blocker, as he does not consistently get great push off the edge. ... Needs more consistency in using his punch, which can be devastating against rush ends. ... Can be beaten in pass protection by quicker hands. ... Loses balance when lunging in pass pro. ... A bit tentative in the open field. ... Gets a bit lazy moving his feet when the play is run away from him and could stand to gain more stamina. ... Does not always adjust to outside blitzes, but handles inside pressure just fine. ... Has a very quiet, passive demeanor that some many characterize as lacking passion.

2007 Season

Named Fourth Team All-America by Phil Steele … Consensus First Team All-SEC selection … Named Mid-Season All-America first team by The Sporting News and a fourth team by Phil Steele, who also listed him on his All-SEC first team … Started all 12 games at left tackle… Helped pave the way for Green-Ellis’ 1,137 rushing yards, which ranks second on the school’s single-season chart … Earned his third letter … vs. Missouri (9/8): Helped the Rebels pile up their most yards since 2004 with 534, including 229 on the ground … vs. Florida (9/22): Earned the Rebel Quarterback Club Trench Award of the Week … vs. Arkansas (10/20): Earned the Rebel Quarterback Club Trench Award of the Week … vs. LSU (11/17): Helped the offense amass 466 total yards and 201 rushing … Earned the Rebel Quarterback Club Trench Award of the Week … Helped the Rebels not allow a sack against Georgia (9/29) and Northwestern State (11/3) … Preseason: Selected 2007 preseason first team All-America and All-SEC by Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook and Lindy’s and third team by nationalchamps.net … Also selected by Lindy’s as the nation’s No. 3 offensive tackle and the SEC’s Best Run Blocker … Named to 2007 Outland Trophy (best interior lineman) preseason “Watch List” … Selected to the 2007 preseason All-SEC first team by The Sporting News and The Birmingham News and second team All-SEC by Athlon.

2006 Season

Earned second team All-SEC honors from the league’s coaches ... Has started 22 consecutive games over the last two seasons ... Started all 12 games at LT ... As a blocker helped BenJarvus Green-Ellis become the third 1,000-yard runner in Ole Miss history and record four 100-yard rushing games ... Earned his second letter ... vs. Memphis (9/3): As a blocker helped the Rebels run for a season-high 240 yards ... at Missouri (9/9): ... Named Rebel QB Club Trench Player of the Week for his performance ... vs. #9/10 Georgia (9/30): Started on offensive line that helped BenJarvus Green-Ellis run for a career-high 135 yards ... at Alabama (10/14): Named Rebel QB Club Trench Player of the Week for his performance ... vs. Northwestern State (11/4): Helped the Rebels roll up a season-high 401 yards of total offense ... Chosen preseason First Team All-SEC by Phipps Football Magazines and Second Team All-SEC by The Sporting News and Lindy’s.

2005 Season

Earned First Team Freshman All-America honors from Rivals.com and The Sporting News and Third Team distinction from CollegeFootballNews.com ... Named First Team Freshman All-SEC by the SEC Coaches and The Sporting News ... Played in all 11 games, starting the last 10 at right guard ... Helped pave the way for RB Mico McSwain to establish an Ole Miss freshman rushing record with 612 yards and three 100-yard performances ... Earned his first letter ... at Vanderbilt (9/17): Helped the Rebels pile up a season-high 400 yards of total offense .... vs. Wyoming (9/24): Helped McSwain record his first 100-yard ... vs. Wyoming (9/24): Helped McSwain record his first 100-yard rushing performance with a season-high 114 and a TD.

vs. Citadel (10.8): Helped the Rebel offense tally 366 yards of offense and McSwain notch his second 100-yard game of the year ... vs. Alabama (10/15): Received Rebel Quarterback Club Player of the Week Trench Award ... Helped the offensive line not allow a sack ... vs. Kentucky (10/22): Offensive line does not allow a sack for the second straight week ... Rebel offense totals 361 yards and McSwain reaches 100-yard plateau for third time.

Lurker64
01-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Mays is staying at USC for his senior season, according to this story (http://www.dailynews.com/usc/ci_11439613).

He has a couple of days to change his mind, but at this rate it looks like another guy we might take isn't going to be available.

So right now I'm definitely leaning towards "It's going to be an OT" though I wouldn't rule out Jenkins or one of the DL, though many of the DEs have significant question marks. Knowing Thompson, though, this means the pick will almost certainly be a running back.

packrulz
01-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Here's a clip of Tyson Jackson, I think he will be a good pro, like a healthy Jenkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YssdMgoWYE
Here's a clip of Orakpo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN2rNQac-Pw&feature=related
On the int they had 3 down lineman, he has good size, I think he'll be good.
Here's one of Michael Johnson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_tbnh9F9A&feature=related
He has good size/speed, but he really only had one good year, I like the fact they lined him up on both ends.
I'm thinking TT might draft a DE at #9, the 3 top LT's might be gone.

rbaloha1
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Here's a clip of Tyson Jackson, I think he will be a good pro, like a healthy Jenkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YssdMgoWYE
Here's a clip of Orakpo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN2rNQac-Pw&feature=related
Here's one of Michael Johnson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_tbnh9F9A&feature=related
He has good size/speed, but he really only had one good year, I like the fact they lined him up on both ends.

Michael Johnson had only one year of good college play. Looks the part but unworthy of a #9 pick. Orakpo is a tweener that can be dominated at the point of attack. Workout warrior but imo not worthy of a #9 pick.

Jackson seems to have an upside but is a major risk due to work ethic. After Justin Harrell (which I thought was a good pick and eventually pans out) TT may be hesitant to select a d-lineman with major issues.

rbaloha1
01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Mays is staying at USC for his senior season, according to this story (http://www.dailynews.com/usc/ci_11439613).

He has a couple of days to change his mind, but at this rate it looks like another guy we might take isn't going to be available.

So right now I'm definitely leaning towards "It's going to be an OT" though I wouldn't rule out Jenkins or one of the DL, though many of the DEs have significant question marks. Knowing Thompson, though, this means the pick will almost certainly be a running back.

Bad news for the Packers as now 2 potential impact defensive players are unavailable for the draft.

Unable to determine if the left tackles are worthy of a #9 pick. Possibly reaches.

Numerous lower rated juniors are declaring with more still deciding. Its possible the best move is to move down and land solid player like a left tackle or Brandon Spikes (undeclared).

Although TT rarely moves up is this the year with 4 picks in the top 100 to land a big time impact player by moving up?

sharpe1027
01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Bad news for the Packers as now 2 potential impact defensive players are unavailable for the draft.

Unable to determine if the left tackles are worthy of a #9 pick. Possibly reaches.

Numerous lower rated juniors are declaring with more still deciding. Its possible the best move is to move down and land solid player like a left tackle or Brandon Spikes (undeclared).

Although TT rarely moves up is this the year with 4 picks in the top 100 to land a big time impact player by moving up?

I don't see the "impact players" being disproportionally found in the top 5 picks. More likely, yes, but given the high price tag, too often those picks hurt their teams more than they help. Trade down anytime you can get anything of decent value, there will still be impact players available, and they cost less.

Badgerinmaine
01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Just for fun, I looked around at the most recent mock drafts online. There's a lot of different opinions about who the Packers will take. I don't have much idea which of these sources is the most reliable, but here you go:

1. Football'sFuture.com, Joe Montgomery and Jamaal Steady predict Michael Johnson, DE, Ga. Tech.

2. FFToolbox and The Football Expert (Michael Abramowitz) predict Brian Orapko, DE, Texas.

3. NFLDraftDog and NFL MockDraftAces predict Jason Smith, OT, Baylor.

4. Draft King predicts Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State.

5. NFL Draft Site predicts Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati.

Lurker64
01-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Considering that the bust rate for top 10 OTs is the lowest of any position (in the last 20 years there has been precisely one), and there are four OTs who could probably go in the top 4 this year, none of the top guys are a reach. If Smith, Smith, Oher, and Monroe are all gone then yes, an OT at #9 is a reach, but that's why you don't count your chickens before you're on the clock (*cough* "Mays is the pick" *cough*).

Plus, I mean it's not like we're not staring at having to replace two offensive tackles.

Plus, considering it doesn't match the dominant opinion of the fans as to what we "need" means it smacks more and more of a Thompson pick:
2005 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Rodgers.
2006 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Hawk.
2007 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Harrell.
2008 we need "an impact player" (and probably a CB) and Thompson trades out of the first round (and we take a WR).

Who we think is a need and is a value where we're drafting really has very little to do with what TT eventually does.

rbaloha1
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Considering that the bust rate for top 10 OTs is the lowest of any position, and there are four OTs who could probably go in the top 4 this year, none of the top guys are a reach. If Smith, Smith, Oher, and Monroe are all gone then yes, an OT at #9 is a reach, but that's why you don't count your chickens before you're on the clock (*cough* "Mays is the pick" *cough*).

Andre Smith and Monroe are not reaches since both are most likely gone. Unsure of Oher. Sounds good on paper but never watched him play. Please provide an evaluation based on Oher's play.

Mays was only suggested if available (cough cough). Mays is unavailable no need to discuss. Although if available worthy of a #9.

Plus, I mean it's not like we're not staring at having to replace two offensive tackles.

Tausher may not return and is coming off season ending injury. Cliffy I believe is 34 y/o and is not a good fit for the running game of the zone blocking scheme. Still a good pass protector but appeared to get beat more this season.

Plus, considering it doesn't match the dominant opinion of the fans as to what we "need" means it smacks more and more of a Thompson pick:
2005 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Rodgers. Great TT pick. Although I wanted Heath Miller.
2006 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Hawk. Bad pick. Wamted Vernon Davis who was a pro bowl alternate this season. Recall Hawk almost went to the Saints which could have landed Bush in GB.
2007 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Harrell. Great pick at that time. Still expect Harrell to be a good player
2008 we need "an impact player" (and probably a CB) and Thompson trades out of the first round (and we take a WR). Good move. Jordy Nelson is a better Bill Schroeder.

Who we think is a need and is a value where we're drafting really has very little to do with what TT eventually does. Of course. Speculation is part of the fun of a message board. TT will do what is best for the team given the draft position.

LL2
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
[quote="Lurker64
2005 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Rodgers.
2006 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Hawk.
2007 we need "a weapon for Favre" and we draft Harrell.
2008 we need "an impact player" (and probably a CB) and Thompson trades out of the first round (and we take a WR).

Who we think is a need and is a value where we're drafting really has very little to do with what TT eventually does.[/quote]

Very good observation and noticing a trend. It sure seems TT like to do the opposite of what everyone thinks he should do.

swede
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
TT conformed to conventional wisdom in 2006. Everyone saw the Hawk pick coming. A few were disappointed that we didn't get Vernon Davis, but that was one case of VD I'm glad we didn't get.

Fritz
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Just for fun, I looked around at the most recent mock drafts online. There's a lot of different opinions about who the Packers will take. I don't have much idea which of these sources is the most reliable, but here you go:

1. Football'sFuture.com, Joe Montgomery and Jamaal Steady predict Michael Johnson, DE, Ga. Tech.

2. FFToolbox and The Football Expert (Michael Abramowitz) predict Brian Orapko, DE, Texas.

3. NFLDraftDog and NFL MockDraftAces predict Jason Smith, OT, Baylor.

4. Draft King predicts Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State.

Mike, any relation to Terry, Mickens?

Badgerinmaine
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Mike, any relation to Terry, Mickens?
Here's some of what I found:

http://www.newsrecord.org/sections/sports/mike_mickens_last_line_of_defense

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1601

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mickens_mike00.html

One of the other sites I saw ranked him as the #7 CB in the draft. He also needed surgery on knee cartilage that kept him out of the last two games of Cincy's regular season. From what I've been reading, I would be surprised to see the Packers take him with the #9 overall pick. The overall consensus on him seems to be a later first rounder or second round pick. No mention I saw of any connection to Terry.

packrulz
01-14-2009, 06:16 AM

Michael Johnson had only one year of good college play. Looks the part but unworthy of a #9 pick. Orakpo is a tweener that can be dominated at the point of attack. Workout warrior but imo not worthy of a #9 pick.

Jackson seems to have an upside but is a major risk due to work ethic. After Justin Harrell (which I thought was a good pick and eventually pans out) TT may be hesitant to select a d-lineman with major issues.
Orkapo is 6-4, 260 lbs, how is that a tweener? He led the NCAA in sacks despite being hurt, was productive all 4 years, and has a list of awards as long as your arm. http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/orakpo_brian00.html Look, I know Wolf got burned with Jamal Reynolds but that doesn't mean you never draft a DE in the first round again, Orkapo is the best DE prospect in the draft. Critics said Justin Tuck was a "tweener" before the draft too, that's how the Giants got him in the 3rd round.

up_packer_fan
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Wolf was burned by a DE from Florida State. The NFL is littered with undersized DE from FSU who flopped. Please stay away from Everette Brown. Orkapo would be a good choice at #9.

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Wolf was burned by a DE from Florida State. The NFL is littered with undersized DE from FSU who flopped. Please stay away from Everette Brown. Orkapo would be a good choice at #9.

Orakpo makes me nervous. Although still unsure of Jermey Thompson.

Charles Woodson
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Id take brown over orkapo because i feel orkapo is a workout warrior who wont produce in the next level... imo bad pick to take him at 9

Partial
01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Id take brown over orkapo because i feel orkapo is a workout warrior who wont produce in the next level... imo bad pick to take him at 9

As a local how do you feel about Brown? Obviously our tv coverage is limited. I don't like him, but you and BH get to see those guys more. What do you think?

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Agree about Orakpo. Unsure of Brown but the Jamal Reynolds fiasco still lingers.

BZnDallas
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
TT conformed to conventional wisdom in 2006. Everyone saw the Hawk pick coming. A few were disappointed that we didn't get Vernon Davis, but that was one case of VD I'm glad we didn't get.

just wondering, is there a case of VD you would want to get???... :wink:

RashanGary
01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I believe very strongly in Everette Brown. I'm tempered a little by the arguement that FSU plays a DE friendly scheme, but watching Brown play it's more than that. He's dominate in the way he pushes up field or inside and then makes his counter move when the opposition is off balance. I saw him toss a 320 lb Wisconsin OG 2 yards with one arm. Of course he got him moving in the direction first with his explosive first step, but he still bitch slapped a monster. I don't remember seeing Kamerion Wimbley ever do that.

I'm just a big fan. I see him play and I see a dominate NFL pass rusher. His frame is big too. He's not heavy now, but he's a big kid. He has a big frame but more importantly, he plays with leverage and a knack for dominating the guy in front of him. He'll be more than big enough in the NFL. He has a lot of room to grow. Osuckpo has something like 18 sacks in 4 years. Brown has 24 or something like that in three. AFter his senior year he could have had over 40 sacks (unheard of in college). Productive player. Impressive player. I'm still in his corner, although I'm open to several other players too.

cheesner
01-14-2009, 10:21 PM

No, but there are some women who are worth it.

packrulz
01-15-2009, 06:15 AM
I believe very strongly in Everette Brown. I'm tempered a little by the arguement that FSU plays a DE friendly scheme, but watching Brown play it's more than that. He's dominate in the way he pushes up field or inside and then makes his counter move when the opposition is off balance. I saw him toss a 320 lb Wisconsin OG 2 yards with one arm. Of course he got him moving in the direction first with his explosive first step, but he still bitch slapped a monster. I don't remember seeing Kamerion Wimbley ever do that.

I'm just a big fan. I see him play and I see a dominate NFL pass rusher. His frame is big too. He's not heavy now, but he's a big kid. He has a big frame but more importantly, he plays with leverage and a knack for dominating the guy in front of him. He'll be more than big enough in the NFL. He has a lot of room to grow. Osuckpo has something like 18 sacks in 4 years. Brown has 24 or something like that in three. AFter his senior year he could have had over 40 sacks (unheard of in college). Productive player. Impressive player. I'm still in his corner, although I'm open to several other players too.

Brown can add 10-15lbs of muscle, but I'm not sure he fits what the Packers want to do on defense, he would fit better in a 3-4 defense. He is a top candidate though, he's got skills. I don't know what your beef is with Orakpo, he plays hurt and produced all 4 years, I like the fact that he lifts weights, he won't have to "catch up" in the pros, he should produce his first year: Bench presses 515 lbs., squats 600 lbs. and power cleans 380 lbs. ... also has gained 50 lbs. of muscle while maintaining eight percent body fat ... posted 125 tackles (88 solo), 19.5 sacks, 34 TFL, 55 pressures, six PBD, five forced fumbles and a fumble recovery during his career.
Personally, I'd rather TT sign Peppers and draft a LT at #9 but I doubt that will happen.

BZnDallas
01-15-2009, 07:44 AM

No, but there are some women who are worth it.

touche'

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
DT is much more important than DE. I actually think that could be pretty strong next season at DE. Kampman is one of the best in the league. If Jenkins stays healthy he has potential to be just as good as Kampman. Thompson didn't play all that bad as a rookie and should be better next season. I wouldn't be mad if we pick up a DE, but I see DT as a more pressing need. To bad McCoy went back to school because we need a guy like him that can collapse the pocket.

Waldo
01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
DT is much more important than DE. I actually think that could be pretty strong next season at DE. Kampman is one of the best in the league. If Jenkins stays healthy he has potential to be just as good as Kampman. Thompson didn't play all that bad as a rookie and should be better next season. I wouldn't be mad if we pick up a DE, but I see DT as a more pressing need. To bad McCoy went back to school because we need a guy like him that can collapse the pocket.

I think that Jenkins is a good deal better than Kampman already. His pressured per snap exceeds Kamp, he works on the more difficult side of the line, is much better against the run, and is position versatile.

That said my first choice would be BJ Raji in the draft to start out as a swing NT/UT to replace Cole. DT's usually don't do squat as rookies, but he's got the power and tech to play respectable from the get go. If not, Brown would make an excellent KGB replacement that could train to replace Pops as well (a la Suggs and Kiwi) and be an every down player. Though I wouldn't be depressed if we got an OT either, possibly Jason Smith?

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I would not be upset with the first pick going to either the offensive or defensive lines. We make our lines stronger and there is no reason why we don't complete for a superbowl title next season. I think we could hang with the eagles and the cards with the team we got right now and look how far they have gone.

I would really like to see DT, OT, or OG (maybe if we trade down) with our top pick. I would not be mad with Raji at DT as you have stated already Waldo. I also personally like Duke Robinson a lot and wouldn’t be mad if we traded down and picked him.

Waldo
01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
I would not be upset with the first pick going to either the offensive or defensive lines. We make our lines stronger and there is no reason why we don't complete for a superbowl title next season. I think we could hang with the eagles and the cards with the team we got right now and look how far they have gone.

I would really like to see DT, OT, or OG (maybe if we trade down) with our top pick. I would not be mad with Raji at DT as you have stated already Waldo. I also personally like Duke Robinson a lot and wouldn’t be mad if we traded down and picked him.

I dunno about a guard that high, we'd have to make a huge trade down, and Duke isn't the most versatile lineman. I like Unger a lot with our pick in the second. He's a lot like Colledge but not quite as athletic, but a center that is capable at all positions, with LT experience. He's probably better (has better potential) than Colledge at all positions but LT, and he doesn't have the strength issues that Daryn came into the league with. If Colledge is our eventual LT, he's gonna need a backup and I'm not so sure that Barbre is that guy. Unger could probably start and do a good job at RT too.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm really starting to become more interested in grabbing one of these great 4 LT's coming out. Smith probably won't be there, but Monroe, Oher, or J. Smith would all theoretically solidify the position for years to come. Great line play is the key to winning football teams. Sure playmakers get all the credit, but knowledgable fans know it all starts with line play.

Waldo
01-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm really starting to become more interested in grabbing one of these great 4 LT's coming out. Smith probably won't be there, but Monroe, Oher, or J. Smith would all theoretically solidify the position for years to come. Great line play is the key to winning football teams. Sure playmakers get all the credit, but knowledgable fans know it all starts with line play.

According to everything that I have read since the end of the season by the pros (Mayock, Scouts, inc), Oher is going to have to kill at the combine/senior bowl if he hopes to get into the top 10. He got the lazy/takes plays off tag by scouts, which is a very bad label for a LT, dropping him from top 5/10 to the late 20's.

privatepacker
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I could see TT sign guys like Olshansky from SD or Canty from Dallas as DEs or Tank Johnson Dallas and Bernard from Seattle as DTs but not the first tier FA. He's not getting into a bidding war for a player. After he address that then the draft will start to come into focus.

Fritz
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Tank Johnson is intriguing, but of course they'd have to interview him to see where his head is at, since in the past it's notoriously been up his rear end.

Freak Out
01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Tank is the gun guy right? Illegal possession and his body guard killed some guy? Violated his probation and all that thug shit.....guy can still ball but defiantly does not fit the "Packer People" MO.