PDA

View Full Version : Fired head coaches

esoxx
12-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Out:

Marinelli - Det
Edwards - KC (he didn't win enough games!)
Crennel - Clev
Phillips - Dal (after Philly debacle, he's gone; JJ needs a scapegoat)
Haslett - Stl
Lewis - Cin (long overdue)

On the fence:
Mangini - (players hate him. They hate Coughlin too but he wins)
Del Rio - Jax (players hate him)
Jauron - Buf
Cable - Oak

Let the bloodletting begin!

On a side note, I'm very pleased Minn made the playoffs to extend the reign of one Brad Childress.

Short term pain for long term relief.
:D

gbgary
12-28-2008, 07:49 PM

really? i thought he was a player's coach. they seemed to like him on that nfl network series (where they hang with a team for several weeks). :shock:

esoxx
12-28-2008, 07:54 PM

really? i thought he was a player's coach. they seemed to like him on that nfl network series (where they hang with a team for several weeks). :shock:

He was well liked until that incident with Peterson in the team meeting. After that they basically quit on him. I would be surprised if he came back, even with the contract extension he got before the season.

They're either going to have to turn over the players or get a new coach in there. Fred Taylor stated he had never been on a team with such poor chemistry.

gbgary
12-28-2008, 08:02 PM
had no idea. thanks!

KYPack
12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Out:

On the fence:
Jauron - Buf
Cable - Oak

On a side note, I'm very pleased Minn made the playoffs to extend the reign of one Brad Childress.

I can garauntee Marvin Lewis will not be fired.

The players hate a coach?

That is no factor in their survival.

Do the Superstars hate the coach?

Ask Brian Billick if that's a factor.

esoxx
12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Out:

On the fence:
Jauron - Buf
Cable - Oak

I can garauntee Marvin Lewis will not be fired.

The players hate a coach?

That is no factor in their survival.

Do the Superstars hate the coach?

Ask Brian Billick if that's a factor.

Yeah, the hate factor typically isn't THE reason. That's why I placed those two as "on the fence."
When a coach loses his locker room the way Del Rio did though, that's a big problem going forward.

As for Lewis, I forgot, Cincy is basically the Detroit Lions of the AFC, with the Brown family playing the role of the Ford family.

4-11-1 and stuck in reverse? That's typically enough to get a pink slip.

But not in Cincy, where poor ownership has hampered this franchise for a long time.

oregonpackfan
12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
At least the NFL does not fire their head coaches as rapidly as the NBA. For the '08-'09 season, 20% of their coaches have already been fired and they haven't even reached the season mid-point yet!

KYPack
12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
OK esoxx

Caught ya using logic,

Don't ever do that again.

digitaldean
12-28-2008, 09:30 PM
You think Shanahan may get added to the list??

The Broncos had a 3 game lead with 3 to play and they choked it off.

The deciding game tonight in SD shows the Chargers laying a can of whoopass on them. 38-13 as of this post.

I'd say the Teflon Don of the AFC West might just be going bye-bye.

Deputy Nutz
12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
If Marvin Lewis does get fired the Packers should throw the kitchen sink at him to become the new defensive coordinator. Romeo Crennel Would also be a nice option. I also would go after Marinelli to boost the defense, but Lewis would be my first choice.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd bet big against any of these guys coming to Green Bay.

I doubt Phillips gets fired or Lewis or Haslett. Mangini IMO, is better than 50/50 to stay. Jauron and Del Rio get definite maybes. The rest likely will get the ax.

red
12-29-2008, 08:31 AM
mangini and marenelli are both out of work this morning

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyone think Lovie Smith is in trouble?

Zool
12-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I doubt it. They kept Jauron around for what, 4 seasons?

swede
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Anyone think Lovie Smith is in trouble?

According to Lovie, the playoffs and the Superbowl don't matter.

For the Bears, beating the Packers matters.

He's safe for three years imo because he has managed to beat the Packers more than Wannie and Jauron ever could. Jauron went 13-3 with the Bears in 2001 and still lost to the Packers twice which was good enough to get him fired after losing big the subsequent year.

red
12-29-2008, 09:19 AM
crennel is now out too, according to PFT

Gunakor
12-29-2008, 12:06 PM
crennel is now out too, according to PFT

We don't have the personnel on defense to run a Crennel scheme. Certainly great strides could me made to match our roster to Crennel's defense should we decide to go in that direction, but it would be quite a significant change and might do more harm than good. At least in the short term anyway. I'd rather try to find a new DC that still uses a 4-3, still employs the cornerbacks in press coverage, still keeps the safeties in cover 2... but is a tad more aggressive and much more unpredictable with the front 7.

Fosco33
12-30-2008, 04:50 PM
good call Dean!

Martz is out as 49ers offensive coach too

sheepshead
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Yep D2, thats the only place I saw that call!

mngolf19
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM

At least we didn't extend our guy. :lol:

Freak Out
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Anyone think the Jets will land Bill Cowher? It sounds like they will do whatever it takes to get him to come to NY.

mngolf19
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Anyone think the Jets will land Bill Cowher? It sounds like they will do whatever it takes to get him to come to NY.

Yes, because he has 2 daughters living in the NY area and the Jets will give him GM power.

Packers4Ever
12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
mangini and marenelli are both out of work this morning

I visited a Jets website last night and I saw all too few
kind words said about Mangini. Seems he calls out
players for anything at meetings and other sorts of gory
doings.

Didn't sound like a scene any Packer player would care to
spend much time in, IMO. Those NY area
people are tough-sounding.

So I was curious about Mangini today, :roll:
Now we know.

Fritz
12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Wonder who would make a good d-coordinator here in GB...

Winston Moss?

retailguy
12-30-2008, 09:01 PM

Yet. I've already written my Childress fan letter to Zigi Wilf. I signed it "Rastak" and used his Minneapolis address. I promised to buy season tickets for a five year extension.

You don't need to thank me. Really, it was the least I could do. :P

Rastak
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Yet. I've already written my Childress fan letter to Zigi Wilf. I signed it "Rastak" and used his Minneapolis address. I promised to buy season tickets for a five year extension.

Thanks for using the wrong city as my address!

retailguy
12-30-2008, 09:16 PM

If I had used your correct address they'd have already known you have season tickets. Then my promise wouldn't have helped!

Rastak
12-30-2008, 09:17 PM

If I had used your correct address they'd have already known you have season tickets. Then my promise wouldn't have helped!

Ah yes, I do see the logic now. :)

Badgerinmaine
12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
He's already turned down the Browns, and it sounds like he means it when he says he doesn't want to coach in 2009. 2010, though, might be another story.

KYPack
12-30-2008, 10:04 PM
There's a lesson in all this.

If you are coaching a team with high expectations and the owner and fans assume the club is headed for the play-offs, start losing early.

Mangenius and the Rat went in the toilet in December. McCarthy started his slide in early November.

Get ugly early, don't wait until late, they'll chop off yer head.

Bretsky
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Wonder who would make a good d-coordinator here in GB...

Winston Moss?

Hell No

Might as well keep Vanilla Bob if you are going to hire from the mess we have on that side