PDA

View Full Version : great beers

Pages : [1] 2 3

red
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
ok, so up until about 5 months ago i was nothing but a bud light drinker. every once in a while i would try something else, but but light was my main go-to

then 5 months ago i started brewing my own, we'll call it shit. ever since then i have been experimenting with many famous beers from around the world

i just stopped at ridgeview liquor store just south of the stadium today after the game and found many hard to find beers that i have been wanting to try

right now i'm trying a trappistes rochefort #10, brewed by monks in belgium, and its unlike any beer i've ever had in my life. its amazing

anybody got any other good ones?

and don't say westvleteren. i don't need to cry anymore

Zool
12-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Its kinda generic, but i really like Hoegaarden.

red
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM

i love hoegaarden, i had it for the first time a few weeks ago. have you ever had celis white? its suppose to be a lot like it. even brewed by the same guy

Zool
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM

i love hoegaarden, i had it for the first time a few weeks ago. have you ever had celis white? its suppose to be a lot like it. even brewed by the same guy

I havent but I will be looking for it now.

red
12-28-2008, 09:49 PM

its brewed in michigan, i think around grand rapids. soo it should be easier to find then hoegaarden. but i haven't been able to find it

digitaldean
12-28-2008, 09:54 PM
RedHook has some nice beers.

The ESB and the Sunrye are excellent.

New Glarus has some great ones too. Wisconsin Belgian Red and Spotted Cow are my faves.

Another one that I really like but is hard to find is Mackeson Triple Stout. It's VERY thick and dark, almost molasses-like stout. Fan-dam-tastic.

LL2
12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I like to try different beers too, but my fav always seems to be Blue Moon. I actually do not care for the general brands of Miller or Budweiser, although I will take a Bud over Miller. I like Chicago local beers of 312 and Goose Island. It's fun to try different stuff, even the stuff brewed at the local pubs. We have a few pubs right in my neighborhood.

digitaldean
12-29-2008, 10:54 AM
I like to try different beers too, but my fav always seems to be Blue Moon. I actually do not care for the general brands of Miller or Budweiser, although I will take a Bud over Miller. I like Chicago local beers of 312 and Goose Island. It's fun to try different stuff, even the stuff brewed at the local pubs. We have a few pubs right in my neighborhood.

I like Goose Island. There quite a few places in my area that have Blue Moon on tap.

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Goose makes a Blue Moon type called 312 thats pretty good.

My top 2 are newcastle and sierra nevada.

red
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
ok, so i still have a lot of cool beers to try

right now i am trying an orval, another trappist beer from belgium

this one is a bit too hoppy for my liking, a little too spicey

however last night i tried a duvel, and i got to say it might just be my all time favorite beer. everything in that beer just hit me perfect

to me this was a liquid orgazim.....

well, you know what i mean

Freak Out
12-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Here is the one I was talking about Red....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/

red
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM

I like Goose Island. There quite a few places in my area that have Blue Moon on tap.

blue moon is a lot like hoegaarden that me and zool were talking about

belgian style wit beer, unfiltered with coriander seeds and orange peel

red
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Here is the one I was talking about Red....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/

i'll have to try that one, i'm pretty sure i can find that somewhere around here

GoPackGo
12-30-2008, 11:55 PM
If you can find Boont Amber Ale east of the Mississippi you should feel lucky. This California Amber Ale is awesome. Its at the top of my list and in my Fridge right now.

Boont Amber Ale just won the Silver Medal at the 2003 Great American Beer Festival , in the American-Style Amber/Red Ale category, has several other medals , as well, and was named the "best beer brewed in Northern California," by the San Francisco Bay Guardian.

Boont Amber Ale is a medium bodied pale ale with a beatiful copper color, a robust head, and the rich flavor of caramel malt. This very smooth and exceptionally drinkable beer is excellent with steaks, chicken, pasta, and other flavorful meals.

As with all of our products, Boont Amber Ale is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F

5.8 % Alcohol by Volume

"It's bahl hornin'."

http://www.genx40.com/images/2007b/boont.JPG

HarveyWallbangers
12-31-2008, 01:20 AM
RedHook has some nice beers.

I'm lukewarm on Red Hook. I like some and don't like others, but I did go to the Red Hook Brewery in Seattle several years ago.

MateoInMex
12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
ok, so i still have a lot of cool beers to try

right now i am trying an orval, another trappist beer from belgium

this one is a bit too hoppy for my liking, a little too spicey

however last night i tried a duvel, and i got to say it might just be my all time favorite beer. everything in that beer just hit me perfect

to me this was a liquid orgazim.....

well, you know what i mean

I am a str8 bud light guy myself but here in mexico since xmas its all corona darkhere. I've tried Leon and montejo but pretty much threw up afterwards. New years will be special as I have sworn off tequila but corona dark is the only beer in these parts of gto mex

MJZiggy
12-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I was trying to pick up a nice bottle of proseco at the grossly overpriced snooty wine shop (Dom Perignon anyone?) and came across some belgians and white beers. What's white beer?

red
12-31-2008, 06:37 PM
I was trying to pick up a nice bottle of proseco at the grossly overpriced snooty wine shop (Dom Perignon anyone?) and came across some belgians and white beers. What's white beer?

usually its cloudy, very light, almost white colored

kind of spicy and usually has a hint of orange in it

these are awesome beers imo

what brand is it?

MJZiggy
12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
There were two. One was something like wittikirik and the other was Blue Moon Belgian White

Freak Out
01-10-2009, 12:50 PM
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Belgian beers at the moment (very good choice) so these are six you should try: Duvel..which you have had I think, Saison Dupont, Chimay, Poperings Hommelbier, Piraat and Kwak. There are so many great beers from Belgium it's mind boggling.
Make a trip to Bruges sometime.

red
01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Belgian beers at the moment (very good choice) so these are six you should try: Duvel..which you have had I think, Saison Dupont, Chimay, Poperings Hommelbier, Piraat and Kwak. There are so many great beers from Belgium it's mind boggling.
Make a trip to Bruges sometime.

i'll look into those

i also tried a couple form from westmallie, also a belgium trappist beer. the trippel was great and the dubbel was absolutely amazing

it inspired me to try and brew up a batch along those lines

Brando19
01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
ok, so up until about 5 months ago i was nothing but a bud light drinker. every once in a while i would try something else, but but light was my main go-to

then 5 months ago i started brewing my own, we'll call it shit. ever since then i have been experimenting with many famous beers from around the world

i just stopped at ridgeview liquor store just south of the stadium today after the game and found many hard to find beers that i have been wanting to try

right now i'm trying a trappistes rochefort #10, brewed by monks in belgium, and its unlike any beer i've ever had in my life. its amazing

anybody got any other good ones?

and don't say westvleteren. i don't need to cry anymore

So you had some shit brewing up? That's not good...try Pepto. :lol:

Charles Woodson
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
so what do you all think is the best cheap beer?

MJZiggy
01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
There is no good beer that you can afford. Remember last time you got caught drinking?

Charles Woodson
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
There is no good beer that you can afford. Remember last time you got caught drinking?

honestly na, well i mean ive just ben getting tired of the norm miller lite, and corona

mraynrand
01-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I discovered early on that cheap beer sucks and that it's ten times better to drink one or two bottles of a really good most likely expensive beer than a sixer or a case of shit. be an extreme beer snob. You'll save money, keep off the weight, and you will enjoy the hell out of your beer.

red
01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
point special is pretty good for cheap

red
01-10-2009, 07:07 PM

I discovered early on that cheap beer sucks and that it's ten times better to drink one or two bottles of a really good most likely expensive beer than a sixer or a case of shit. be an extreme beer snob. You'll save money, keep off the weight, and you will enjoy the hell out of your beer.

and you might get just as drunk

some of these trappist beers of like 12 % alcohol. thats like drinking 4 bud lights

Charles Woodson
01-10-2009, 07:07 PM

any recomendations?
i mean it doesnt have to be cheap just wondering what all of you older people drink

mraynrand
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM

some of these trappist beers of like 12 % alcohol. thats like drinking 4 bud lights

That's a good point. You have to watch out for the content in those beers. I went on the Sprecher tour and four of those little samples they give you were enough to give me a buzz (but I'm a lightweight at this point)

For Beers you can get anywhere I like Bass Ale and Sam Adams. In WI, I think Capitol Ale is pretty good and pretty inexpensive. I like Stouts, and The Irish Stout from Sprecher is pretty good - but it's seasonal. You can always rely on Guiness though.

LL2
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM

Your right about that. A co-worker and I always go to a hot wings joint on Friday's for lunch. I always get a schooner (34 ounce mug) of Blue Moon and I always have a buzz for an hour afterwards. Once I got a schooner of Budweiser and it didn't have nearly the same effect.

GrnBay007
01-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Your right about that. A co-worker and I always go to a hot wings joint on Friday's for lunch. I always get a schooner (34 ounce mug) of Blue Moon and I always have a buzz for an hour afterwards. Once I got a schooner of Budweiser and it didn't have nearly the same effect.

You can have beer on your lunch break? :shock:

bigcoz75
01-11-2009, 09:48 AM
point special is pretty good for cheap
I am a big fan of all point beers for a cheapish domestic. Esp their einboch and amber(which is strange because I don't care for most red beers) Their James Page line of beers are even cheaper and just as good if you can find someone who carries them.(my recomm the burley brown)

As for others my favs are newcastle and hackerpschorr weiss. Newcastle is just delicious to me the first sip is like candy.

I worked for a local beer distributer and our main product was imports and fringe domestics. needless to say I've tried many a beer.

HowardRoark
01-11-2009, 12:26 PM

On your recommendation, I had my brother, who lives in Toledo, pick up a couple six packs of
http://thegazz.com/gblogs/beerstoyou/files/2008/01/edmungfitz_bottleglass.jpg
to bring back to me over Christmas. Unfortunately, he left them on his table. He tells me they were good.

I agree with the Point Beer suggestion for cheap beer.

Of course, there always is Grain Belt too.

mraynrand
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM

On your recommendation, I had my brother, who lives in Toledo, pick up a couple six packs of
to bring back to me over Christmas. Unfortunately, he left them on his table. He tells me they were good.

I knew you would come through on the Grain Belt recommendation. That is the worst beer from I can I ever drank, except for Hamms. probably because the last time I drank it was in a bar in Minneapolis watching the Vikings clean up on the hapless Forest Gregg Packers (you saw it). Acid in your stomach will poison any beer.

red
01-11-2009, 02:58 PM

i've had one of their beers before, not the EF, but something like burning river or so. it was way too hop spicy for me

HowardRoark
01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
i've had one of their beers before, not the EF, but something like burning river or so. it was way too hop spicy for me

Speaking of rivers, this brewery has some good beers....especially Unforgiven:

http://www.rushriverbeer.com/

LL2
01-11-2009, 03:51 PM

You can have beer on your lunch break? :shock:

Well, I'm self-employed so I can get away with it. I only do it onFriday though. The "co-worker" does work for the company I do most of my work for, and he should be careful. Life is short though, so gotta have some fun once in a while. Like playing hooky in HS.

red
08-18-2009, 07:33 PM
hey, something non-favre related

i just ordered a 6 pack of westvleteren beer, the holy grail of beers. 3 bottles of abt 12, and 3 of abt 8

being shipped straight from belgium. cost me a shitload of money, but i can't wait to get it and finally taste the best beer in the world

HowardRoark
08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
hey, something non-favre related

i just ordered a 6 pack of westvleteren beer, the holy grail of beers. 3 bottles of abt 12, and 3 of abt 8

being shipped straight from belgium. cost me a shitload of money, but i can't wait to get it and finally taste the best beer in the world

I remember reading about that beer and it sounded next to impossible to buy the stuff. It sounds as though the policy has changed?

Availability

The Westvleteren beers. In the glass is the 12°Currently, the beer is priced at €25.00 (Blonde), €30 (8°) and €36.00 (12°) per 24-bottle crate (excluding bottle/crate deposit). Glasses specifically designed to drink the beer can be purchased at the abbey in packs of 6 for 16 euro.

Buyers were originally limited to ten 24-bottle crates of the beer per car, but as the beer increased in popularity, this was first reduced to five, then to two. For the Westvleteren 12 in 2009, it was limited to one case. When making an order now, the type and quantity of beer for sale are revealed. Sales are limited to one order a month per person per license plate and phone number. Also, the beer must be reserved on their "beerphone" (+32 (0)70 21 00 45) beforehand. The monks will never sell you any beer if you just drive up to the abbey hoping to get some. The reason for this is to eliminate commercial reselling, and hence give all visitors a chance to buy some.

The current production is 4750 hl per year, and this is not expected to be increased.

Aside from the brewery itself, the only other official sale point for the beer is the abbey-owned In de Vrede, a cafe and visitor's centre opposite the abbey. All beers can be bought there for immediate consumption or take-away, depending on availability (however, prices are higher than at the abbey). Often there is no beer available at the shop. The shop also sells cheeses made at the abbey, yeast tabs (not yeast to make beer but dead yeast for health) and other Trappist products.

Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two official sale points. To this end, any Westvleteren beer which is sold anywhere else in the world is grey market beer, as no wholesalers or pubs are supplied with the beer, and the abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales. [4]

red
08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
nope, it hasn't changed. i got it on ebay from someone who bought it at the abby

theres people that buy what they can and sell it to americans for huge profits

Freak Out
08-19-2009, 12:25 AM
nope, it hasn't changed. i got it on ebay from someone who bought it at the abby

Those are fantastic beers man...I've had them and brought some home...still have one in fact.....

Had a Ichtegems Flemish Red Grand Cru the other night here and it was fantastic...not sure if you are into sours yet.

The Duchesse is fantastic as well.

http://www.cafe-amsterdam.com/am/

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM

its brewed in michigan, i think around grand rapids. soo it should be easier to find then hoegaarden. but i haven't been able to find it

Just moved from Grand Rapids. Three GREAT breweries there.
Founders
Bell's
New Holland

Having a long day at work. These pictures really helped!

Founders:
http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/centennial.JPG http://www.thebarleyblog.com/images/label-founders-dirty-bastard.jpg http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/media/blogs/beer//Reds_Rye_6Pack_Front.jpg

New Holland
http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/madhatter.jpg http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/dragonsmilk.jpg http://stlhops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/nh-dragon-milk.jpg

Bells
http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/bells-oberon-21125268.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2670/3766731229_081eb041b0.jpg http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/hopslam.jpg

red
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Those are fantastic beers man...I've had them and brought some home...still have one in fact.....

Had a Ichtegems Flemish Red Grand Cru the other night here and it was fantastic...not sure if you are into sours yet.

The Duchesse is fantastic as well.

http://www.cafe-amsterdam.com/am/

have you tried all three of the westie beers freak?

if so, which was your favorite?

red
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Founders
Bell's
New Holland

where exactly is founders? is that by the big GVSU building? i have been wanting to try them for awhile but haven't yet

i pretty much grew up on bells, having gone to western. oberon is still a must for me. i bought a 6 of hopslam though, and i couldn't drink it. way too spicy for me, i still have 5 bottles in the fridge

pasquale
08-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Founders
Bell's
New Holland

Having a long day at work. These pictures really helped!

Founders:
http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/centennial.JPG http://www.thebarleyblog.com/images/label-founders-dirty-bastard.jpg http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/media/blogs/beer//Reds_Rye_6Pack_Front.jpg

New Holland
http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/madhatter.jpg http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/dragonsmilk.jpg http://stlhops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/nh-dragon-milk.jpg

Bells
http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/bells-oberon-21125268.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2670/3766731229_081eb041b0.jpg http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/hopslam.jpg

I'm glad you brought up Bell's and New Holland. Those are probably 2 of 3 favorites of easily available craft breweries. Believe it or not, my friends dad owned a Brewery, and he's friends with the owner of Bell's.

We grew up stealing his dad's beer and bells out of the giant freezer they had. Good times. Oberon and Hopslam are insanely good. Just don't fall for their annual Imperial stout, it changes every year and it's way overpriced from the hype. Last few years that I've had it, it's been awful.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Left Hand out of CO is a great Brewery. Their imperial stout is very good.

There's obviously better beers/breweries, but I see these breweries at most liquor stores.

Partial
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Anyone have that horny goat stuff? I hear its pretty good, and the old "pump house" that my buddy bar tended at was converted to the horny goat brewery.

pasquale
08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I've tried the horny goat. I really wasn't a fan of the wheat, but I didn't try anything else. Can't judge a brewer by one of his beers.

Patler
08-20-2009, 01:00 AM
I recently went into a relatively new liquor store not far from me. They have a "mix your own" six pack deal, with a selection of about 150 different beers nicely grouped into International beers, US beers and local beers. The fun part is to pick up one of each variety from a single brewery, then compare them. I've started to keep a notebook of my impressions of each (Ya, I do stats on beers, too!). I just finished a six-pack of six different "Lake Louie" beers. I had also four from Lagunitas, three TommyKockers and a bunch of individuals.

I found a few I really liked, such as Dinkel Acker "Dark" and "Contorter Porter". A nice change of pace beer was "Woody Creek White" from Flying Dog Brewery. It is made with bitter orange peel and coriander, and has a very distinct citrus taste. Very good on a hot summer day.

The only one I really disliked so far was TommyKocker's "Butthead". It had a very nice initial taste, but a long and bitter aftertaste. I may pick up one more bottle just to be sure it wasn't something other than the beer itself, because initially I really kind of liked it.

Now I have to go back through all your recommendations here, and see how many I can find!

Patler
08-20-2009, 01:09 AM

Try Great Lakes' "Elliot Ness". It's an amber lager that I found quite refreshing.

sooner6600
08-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the tips on great tasting beer.

However here in Oklahoma; strong beer; 6% or more is sold warm
in the liquor stores, near the windows.

Good news; no Bud, Miller, or Coors. That is sold at 3.2% at the
stop and robs.

So I can only afford cheap beer such as Lost Lake and Pigs Eye.

Any thoughts? Are they steill in business or is my Liquor Store
selling distressed beer?

Sooner.

Good News; I get to have a Linie Dark Ale every once in a while.

red
08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
westvleteren 12 and 8

i can now officially say

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

red
08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
the westies are both great beers, and i can see where the hype comes from

but if i had to choice right now i would say that i prefer the westmalle double over the westvleterens, or even the konigs hoeven quad

its just me though, i prefer the taste of those a little bit more

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 05:34 PM
I'll just stick with basic Chimay.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.anconaswine.com/labels/P14303.jpg

Tasty.

red
08-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I'll just stick with basic Chimay.

top notch beers there ziggy

and to tell the truth, not much difference between those and the $30 a bottle westvleterens

i could drink chimay every night

Freak Out
08-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Check out the new Berserker label....I was throwing an axe like that last night. :)

Amazing beer...one of my all time favorites.

http://www.midnightsunbrewing.com/

]{ilr]3
08-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I have been enjoying "Shock Top" here lately. Even found it on tap in a few bars. I guess Anheuser Busch bought them out awhile ago, still a good beer.

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/images/brandScroll/shockTop.jpg

Shock Top Belgian White
Introduced:
Introduced: Originally as seasonal beer Spring Heat Spiced Wheat in 2006, year-round as Shock Top in 2007
Beer Style:
Belgian-style wheat ale
Description:
As an unfiltered Belgian-style wheat ale, this beer is naturally cloudy with a light golden color.
Ingredients:
Brewed with orange, lemon and lime peels and coriander.
Food Pairings:
Shock Top Belgian White pairs well with fresh salads, chicken dishes and Asian cuisine.
Glassware Suggestions:
The beer is best enjoyed in a tall, wide-mouthed glass. To serve the brew perfectly, follow these pouring guidelines. Pour the brew down the side of the glass until about one-half inch of brew is left in the bottle. Lay the bottle on its side and roll it gently back and forth, mixing the remaining yeast that has settled at the bottom. Pour the rest of the brew, producing a nice, thick collar oF foam.
Awards:
North American Beer Awards (NABA) – Belgian Wit (White) category - 2006 Gold (entered as Spring Heat Spiced Wheat)
North American Beer Awards (NABA) – Belgian Wit (White) category - 2007 Bronze (entered as Spring Heat Spiced Wheat)
Color:
Bright Yellow-Gold
Malt:
Wheat, Two-Row Barley
Body:
12.7 Original Gravity Medium-Bodied with a Smooth, Citrus Mouth feel
Hops:
Cascade, Willamette International Bitterness Unit 20

I dont understand why Sam Adams Boston Lager is so highly rated. Nasty stuff if you ask me. I do really like Sam Adams Light. Pretty much the only light beer I can stand and its only 120 calories.

I enjoy Fat Tire as well, which is now a Miller product I guess.

Pisses me off that the big beer companies have gone out and bought up all these micro breweries and are now planning on raising prices! :evil:

HowardRoark
08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
This talk of Monks brewing beer reminded of one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. A monastery in Salzburg. Go in and pick out your litre mug out of a cleaning bin and get it fresh out of the wooden barrel.

http://www.augustinerbier.at/index.php?id=23&L=1

Twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, we deliver our Augustiner beer direct to your door in the Salzburg city region – free of charge from as little as one crate of beer!

....that's too bad about Fat Tire being bought out, that was an old skiing favorite back in the day. Also, Freak Out, that stuff looks really good, they need to deliver down here twice a week.

red
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
{ilr]3]I have been enjoying "Shock Top" here lately. Even found it on tap in a few bars. I guess Anheuser Busch bought them out awhile ago, still a good beer.

i bought a 6 of that once

honestly didn't care for it at all

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2009, 09:28 PM
{ilr]3]I have been enjoying "Shock Top" here lately. Even found it on tap in a few bars. I guess Anheuser Busch bought them out awhile ago, still a good beer.

Agreed. Thought it was junk.

And, and don't think AB bought it, was there creation from the start.

Iron Mike
08-30-2009, 10:31 PM
http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/images/beer-label.gif

Yeah, I've actually had that.

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Was it drinkable?

Iron Mike
08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Was it drinkable?

Yes.....it actually tasted like pizza. :P

MichiganPackerFan
08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
where exactly is founders? is that by the big GVSU building? i have been wanting to try them for awhile but haven't yet

i pretty much grew up on bells, having gone to western. oberon is still a must for me. i bought a 6 of hopslam though, and i couldn't drink it. way too spicy for me, i still have 5 bottles in the fridge

I don't know how I missed your post : (

Founder's is pretty close to GVSU - near the new bus station downtown. They used to be on Monroe NW, but they relocated a few years back. I have such a craving for their IPA right now!

Every good local joint should be carrying their product too.

MichiganPackerFan
08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm glad you brought up Bell's and New Holland. Those are probably 2 of 3 favorites of easily available craft breweries. Believe it or not, my friends dad owned a Brewery, and he's friends with the owner of Bell's.

We grew up stealing his dad's beer and bells out of the giant freezer they had. Good times. Oberon and Hopslam are insanely good. Just don't fall for their annual Imperial stout, it changes every year and it's way overpriced from the hype. Last few years that I've had it, it's been awful.

I haven't had much in my life that beats hopslam. It's not the sixpack that you want to buy at the end of the night though. "Holy shit, I spent $20 on a six pack" is not what you want to be saying the next day when you look at your wallet.

As good as bell's can be, i have noticed a lot of inconsistency keg to keg. I've had it here in DC a couple times now and noticed it's a thinned down version, almost filtered.

MichiganPackerFan
08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Try Great Lakes' "Elliot Ness". It's an amber lager that I found quite refreshing.

I'm a big fan of the Nosferatu as well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TYKBbdfqx70/SN1ybmnZCyI/AAAAAAAAAEU/HKtR--KdLQc/s320/Great+Lakes+Nosferatu.JPG

MJZiggy
08-31-2009, 09:02 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TYKBbdfqx70/SN1ybmnZCyI/AAAAAAAAAEU/HKtR--KdLQc/s320/Great+Lakes+Nosferatu.JPG

Now that you're here, we need to go to Dogfish.

MichiganPackerFan
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Now that you're here, we need to go to Dogfish.

I do need to check that out. I got to have their 60 & 90 minute on draft back at my home pub in MI and also their 120 and a few other bottled varieties as well. Pretty solid brewery for sure!

Freak Out
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Anyone available to go to Surly on Darkness Day and load up on this years release? I'll pay for the six they sell to the individual and give you two? At least I think it's six...? I know it's $20 a bottle.

CaptainKickass
09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
All my fave's have been mentioned already:

Dinkel Acker
Chimay
Fat Tire
Sprecher
etc.

A note on Sprecher:

I miss all of their beers. Can't get 'em where I'm at. A friend of mine brought me an 8 pack variety deal for xmas 2 years ago. He was dumbstruck at how thankful I was for what I was calling "the best present of all time". :D

I do want to nominate this particular thread for "thread of the year".

Now I am very thirsty and must go and find beer.

HowardRoark
09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Anyone available to go to Surly on Darkness Day and load up on this years release? I'll pay for the six they sell to the individual and give you two? At least I think it's six...? I know it's $20 a bottle.

Remind me and I will go down there. But you have to remind me!!! I have two monkeys running around the house humming Wilco songs all day that make me lose my mind a little.

Maybe we can make a trade for some of that Berserker Stout.

denverYooper
09-03-2009, 04:34 PM
This talk of Monks brewing beer reminded of one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. A monastery in Salzburg. Go in and pick out your litre mug out of a cleaning bin and get it fresh out of the wooden barrel.

Twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, we deliver our Augustiner beer direct to your door in the Salzburg city region – free of charge from as little as one crate of beer!

....that's too bad about Fat Tire being bought out, that was an old skiing favorite back in the day. Also, Freak Out, that stuff looks really good, they need to deliver down here twice a week.

Fat Tire is not a Miller product.

Miller bought Coors out here, not New Belgium.

I've been to the New Belgium Brewery several times. Their tasting room is a blast and you usually have to wait an hour or more in the summer to get in. That's why I go off peak :). In fact, if you go to Ft. Collins, you can spend a nice day going to the local breweries -- New Belgium, Ft. Collins Brewing, and O'Dell. In addition to the brews they ship, they all have some really nice seasonals fresh on tap. Ft. Collins Doppel Bock is one of my favorite beers. O'Dell's 90 Shilling is also a very nice beer. Biere de Mars (New Belgium) is probably my favorite New Belgium offering-- an awesome spring seasonal Belgian-style amber.

Then you can head 25 miles down I-25 and hit Left Hand in Ft. Collins.2 From there you can go another 15 miles to Boulder for Avery, Boulder Brewing Company, Mountain Sun (XXX IPA is killer if you're into IPAs). I lived by the Southern Sun (Mountain Sun) for a couple of years and they had an evening happy hour from 10-close. $2 a pint for strong beers and scrabble, probably my favorite way to get sideways on a Thursday night back in the day.

Boulder Brewing always has a new brew party when they roll out a seasonal with music and specials on whatever they were tappin'. IIRC, Avery used to have an all-you-can drink for an hour in their tasting room.

Denver's mayor owns Wynkoop right in the heart of downtown. They've got some pretty stellar pours too, but I don't think they distribute outside of the pub. They make a Chile ale that's pretty popular. I never really got into it though.

There are several other places around here too. These are just the ones that stirred up some memories.

Freak Out
09-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Remind me and I will go down there. But you have to remind me!!! I have two monkeys running around the house humming Wilco songs all day that make me lose my mind a little.

Maybe we can make a trade for some of that Berserker Stout.

I'm buying two cases this Friday so I could do that. The Berserker should be around $10 bones and is one of the best Imperial Stouts I have ever had. I will probably come that way for a game at some point this winter so we could trade then and share a few.

Anyone up for a Packerrats tasting?

Freak Out
09-03-2009, 04:38 PM

I've been to the New Belgium Brewery several times. Their tasting room is a blast and you usually have to wait an hour or more in the summer to get in. That's why I go off peak :). In fact, if you go to Ft. Collins, you can spend a nice day going to the local breweries -- New Belgium, Ft. Collins Brewing, and O'Dell. In addition to the brews they ship, they all have some really nice seasonals fresh on tap. Ft. Collins Doppel Bock is one of my favorite beers. O'Dell's 90 Shilling is also a very nice beer. Biere de Mars (New Belgium) is probably my favorite New Belgium offering-- an awesome spring seasonal Belgian-style amber.

Then you can head 25 miles down I-25 and hit Left Hand in Ft. Collins.2 From there you can go another 15 miles to Boulder for Avery, Boulder Brewing Company, Mountain Sun (XXX IPA is killer if you're into IPAs). I lived by the Southern Sun (Mountain Sun) for a couple of years and they had an evening happy hour from 10-close. $2 a pint for strong beers and scrabble, probably my favorite way to get sideways on a Thursday night back in the day.

Boulder Brewing always has a new brew party when they roll out a seasonal with music and specials on whatever they were tappin'. IIRC, Avery used to have an all-you-can drink for an hour in their tasting room.

Denver's mayor owns Wynkoop right in the heart of downtown. They've got some pretty stellar pours too, but I don't think they distribute outside of the pub. They make a Chile ale that's pretty popular. I never really got into it though.

There are several other places around here too. These are just the ones that stirred up some memories.

What? Not a mention of Great Divide? Blasphemer.

http://www.greatdivide.com/

denverYooper
09-03-2009, 04:50 PM

What? Not a mention of Great Divide? Blasphemer.

http://www.greatdivide.com/

I got musta got so drunk just thinking about all of that beer that I forgot :doh:

red
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I got musta got so drunk just thinking about all of that beer that I forgot :doh:

lol

i think you must be drunk right now

HowardRoark
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
A few years ago, I was skiing in Summit County over Thanksgiving. An acquaintance at the time ran the local bakery....he cooked a turkey and put together a very good meal one of the nights. He had a fresh keg of Breckenridge Brewery Oatmeal Stout. I recall that as being a very good beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/2438.jpg

]{ilr]3
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Well I just had anouther Shock top thinking maybe I had missed something or was drunk already the last time I had one. I still think it was a pretty good beer.

Sparkey
09-04-2009, 11:32 PM
I am a fan of wheat beers and I have yet to find anything that is anywhere close in overall taste, aroma, consistency and quality as Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse.

No one makes beer as good as they do in Germany!

http://hacker-pschorrusa.com/products/info/weisse.png

http://hacker-pschorrusa.com/products

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2009, 02:46 AM
{ilr]3]

Well I just had anouther Shock top thinking maybe I had missed something or was drunk already the last time I had one. I still think it was a pretty good beer.

If you like it, you like it. I thought it was junk. Keep drinking it. I don't like it, but what does Ty know.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2009, 02:47 AM
I am a fan of wheat beers and I have yet to find anything that is anywhere close in overall taste, aroma, consistency and quality as Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse.

Fuck, i enjoyed that beer. One of my favs.

HowardRoark
09-05-2009, 08:40 AM

I agree 100%. During summertime, I am always looking for a good wheat beer, but that one is still the best. Anyone try Dancing Man? It is rated very high, but I have never even seen one.

http://www.thedailypage.com/media/2007/08/22/beer082207.jpg

red
09-05-2009, 02:40 PM
i pick up 6 yesterday to try at my favorite liquor store in GB

tripel karmeliet
founders breakfast stout
new belgium fat tire, and abby
st. bernardus tripel
and monty python holy ale

CaptainKickass
09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Went out drinking last night and had some of this from a nitrous tap:

http://www.halesbrewery.com/images/creamale.gif

Incredibly smooth. Unbelieveably tasty and very easy to consume.

MichiganPackerFan
09-05-2009, 11:28 PM
The belgium white's finish with that medicin-ey taste: blech. Phasing my night out with a fine 2009 vintage Miller Lite(s)...

(Prepare for random posts....)

Rastak
09-09-2009, 07:34 PM

tripel karmeliet
founders breakfast stout
st. bernardus tripel

St. Bernardus ain't cheap.

red
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM

tripel karmeliet
founders breakfast stout
st. bernardus tripel

if you think those are bad check of the westvleterens

http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/info_1_BB22003.html

Freak Out
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM

tripel karmeliet
founders breakfast stout
st. bernardus tripel

if you think those are bad check of the westvleterens

http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/info_1_BB22003.html

Was the founders breakfast this years release? The Bernardus is a keeper as well as the Karm....I've always loved the founders when I could get a taste.

If I end up coming over for a game or the melon tour I'll bring some beer from AK and out west and we can set up a tasting.

Roark is bringing the Darkness.

CaptainKickass
09-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Roark is bringing the Darkness.

Darkness = Charlie Murphy!!

http://mediaoutrage.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/charlie-murphy_1_1-copy.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM

tripel karmeliet
founders breakfast stout
st. bernardus tripel

The founders breakfast stout made it to green bay?! I didn't think Founders distributed much outside of the grand rapids area...

red
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
i don't know when it was brewed, but it tasted good

yep, founders made it to green bay. ridgeview liquor. the guy has a huge selection of excellent beers

Freak Out
09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Just opened this years Alaskan Baltic Porter......very nice.

Freak Out
09-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Ok Minnesota folks...and I'm talking about you Roarke.

http://www.ratebeer.com/event/9780/

Iron Mike
09-27-2009, 01:04 AM
If I end up coming over for a game or the melon tour I'll bring some beer from AK and out west and we can set up a tasting.

Arrogant Bastard, please.....

http://www.slosar.com/list/uploaded_images/usa-stone-arrogant-bastard-ale-769613.jpg

HowardRoark
09-27-2009, 07:07 AM

I will put it down on the calendar......but it doesn't hurt to remind me again .

Freak Out
09-27-2009, 11:00 AM

I will put it down on the calendar......but it doesn't hurt to remind me again .

Will do.

I'm surprised you don't get the Bastard in Fond du Lac Mike..... :lol:

Sparkey
09-27-2009, 09:33 PM

I agree 100%. During summertime, I am always looking for a good wheat beer, but that one is still the best. Anyone try Dancing Man? It is rated very high, but I have never even seen one.

http://www.thedailypage.com/media/2007/08/22/beer082207.jpg

Never tried it. I will have to keep an eye out for it.

red
09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
well, i was drinking liters of hofbrau original this weekend at the old german beer hall in milwaukee

doesn't get mush better then that

HowardRoark
10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
News and Updates

Darkness 2009

Oct 09, 2009

The possibility of Darkness Day 2009 looked pretty grim this year. As of Jan 1 this year, we were no longer able to sell growlers/750s at the brewery and it did not look like any changes were going to happen on the legislative front. I was about to pull the plug on Darkness Day but figured I should make one last call. So I called Tom, Brooklyn Center Liquor store manager about the possibility of them becoming involved in selling of Darkness bottles on D-Day. Much to my surprise, Tom was pretty excited and said he thought he could make it work. A little background – we are located in Brooklyn Center. The city owns and runs the 2 liquor stores in this city. The only way this whole thing would work, is if the city would get on board, and they did. It seemed that Darkness Day would be saved! Of course, with the City involved, they would have to make their margin for their work. The beer will sell for $18 on D-Day, but we will be getting about $3 less a bottle then last year.
Darkness Day has become what it is from a combination of goofy MN beer laws and the insatiable demand for the beer. 3 years ago when Todd and I heard that people were buying glasses of Darkness at a bar, pouring it into a bottle, capping it, and the trading/sharing it with friends, we figured we better find a way to package and sell this beer. We wanted to have a party for the folks that came out and make a fun event of the selling of Darkness. We are able to continue that event this year on October 24th.
We decided to brew a bit more Darkness this year. That additional liquid would find its way into more bottles, about 2500 more bottles. When Mary (our event coordinator) and I sat down a few weeks ago to figure out how D-Day was gonna run, I realized that we had too much beer to sell. Trying to get all the people through the building in 6 hours was simply too difficult. I did not want people to wait all day and find out they would not get any after waiting 10 hours, so we went back to the old wristband idea of last year (you get a wristband and you are guaranteed 6 bottles). As we figured out how to make this work, I realized that we have enough beer to sell at the event and to local liquor stores. So that’s the plan. 5000 bottles here at the brewery like last year and 2500+ bottles to local liquor stores. Hopefully everyone that wants a bottle will be able to get one.
-Darkness Day is October 24th.
-Gates open at noon
-the first 800 people will get wristbands. The wristbands guarantee that you will be able to purchase a maximum of 6 bottles of Darkness. You will not have to wait in line once on the premises. You can walk around, drink a beer, check out the bands, whatever. But you will need to purchase your bottles by 6:00!
-$18/bottle. CASH ONLY!
-There are no tickets needed or cost to get in the event. Rain or shine or snow or cold.
-We will not ship Darkness nor will we hold any spots/beer for people. It is a 1st come, 1st served event.
-Extra bottles of Darkness not sold on the 24th. They will be sold on October 26th at the Brooklyn Center Liquor Store.
-2500+bottles of Darkness will be sold to liquor stores starting November 2nd.
-Bands will be playing. Food & beer will be available for purchase.

I will post more info as the event gets closer and I figure out what the hell is going on. Thanks again to Tom at the Brooklyn Center Liquor Stores and the City Council of BC for helping us make this happen. See you on the 24th and hope for warmer weather!

Freak Out
10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
News and Updates

Darkness 2009

Oct 09, 2009

The possibility of Darkness Day 2009 looked pretty grim this year. As of Jan 1 this year, we were no longer able to sell growlers/750s at the brewery and it did not look like any changes were going to happen on the legislative front. I was about to pull the plug on Darkness Day but figured I should make one last call. So I called Tom, Brooklyn Center Liquor store manager about the possibility of them becoming involved in selling of Darkness bottles on D-Day. Much to my surprise, Tom was pretty excited and said he thought he could make it work. A little background – we are located in Brooklyn Center. The city owns and runs the 2 liquor stores in this city. The only way this whole thing would work, is if the city would get on board, and they did. It seemed that Darkness Day would be saved! Of course, with the City involved, they would have to make their margin for their work. The beer will sell for $18 on D-Day, but we will be getting about $3 less a bottle then last year.
Darkness Day has become what it is from a combination of goofy MN beer laws and the insatiable demand for the beer. 3 years ago when Todd and I heard that people were buying glasses of Darkness at a bar, pouring it into a bottle, capping it, and the trading/sharing it with friends, we figured we better find a way to package and sell this beer. We wanted to have a party for the folks that came out and make a fun event of the selling of Darkness. We are able to continue that event this year on October 24th.
We decided to brew a bit more Darkness this year. That additional liquid would find its way into more bottles, about 2500 more bottles. When Mary (our event coordinator) and I sat down a few weeks ago to figure out how D-Day was gonna run, I realized that we had too much beer to sell. Trying to get all the people through the building in 6 hours was simply too difficult. I did not want people to wait all day and find out they would not get any after waiting 10 hours, so we went back to the old wristband idea of last year (you get a wristband and you are guaranteed 6 bottles). As we figured out how to make this work, I realized that we have enough beer to sell at the event and to local liquor stores. So that’s the plan. 5000 bottles here at the brewery like last year and 2500+ bottles to local liquor stores. Hopefully everyone that wants a bottle will be able to get one.
-Gates open at noon
-the first 800 people will get wristbands. The wristbands guarantee that you will be able to purchase a maximum of 6 bottles of Darkness. You will not have to wait in line once on the premises. You can walk around, drink a beer, check out the bands, whatever. But you will need to purchase your bottles by 6:00!
-$18/bottle. CASH ONLY!
-There are no tickets needed or cost to get in the event. Rain or shine or snow or cold.
-We will not ship Darkness nor will we hold any spots/beer for people. It is a 1st come, 1st served event.
-Extra bottles of Darkness not sold on the 24th. They will be sold on October 26th at the Brooklyn Center Liquor Store.

I will post more info as the event gets closer and I figure out what the hell is going on. Thanks again to Tom at the Brooklyn Center Liquor Stores and the City Council of BC for helping us make this happen. See you on the 24th and hope for warmer weather!

Thanks for the update Roark....I am supposed to be heading to Louisiana for a weeks worth of work on Sunday the 25th but I may have to find a way to swing over to MSP for Saturday before heading south. Sounds like a party.

HowardRoark
10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
News and Updates

Darkness 2009

Oct 09, 2009

-Gates open at noon
-$18/bottle. CASH ONLY!

Thanks for the update Roark....I am supposed to be heading to Louisiana for a weeks worth of work on Sunday the 25th but I may have to find a way to swing over to MSP for Saturday before heading south. Sounds like a party.

I gotta figure out how early to get there....I am a little too old to stand around for hours waiting for a bottle of beer.

Could be another business model for a high schooler of college kid.

Freak Out
10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Don't worry about it....a good friend has talked his Father and Brother who both live there to do it for us. It sounds like it would be fun if you have the time....most people will bring a bunch of great beer to try while in line.

HowardRoark
10-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Don't worry about it....a good friend has talked his Father and Brother who both live there to do it for us. It sounds like it would be fun if you have the time....most people will bring a bunch of great beer to try while in line.

I plan on going. I will pick up 6 bottles. If you need some, you can have them. Try to stop by.

Freak Out
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM

I plan on going. I will pick up 6 bottles. If you need some, you can have them. Try to stop by.

Very nice....it could happen.

HowardRoark
10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Alright, the kiddies have basketball early in the morning, but I am able to get down there mid/late morning. A few buddies will be there too, so if I am too late, hopefully they get the wristbands. These bottles are a little bigger than I expected. I was wondering how big they would be for $18 each. I have gone down there to fill growlers, but I don't think they are that big.

http://www.thejgcustoms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/img_8488.jpg

Freak Out
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Alright, the kiddies have basketball early in the morning, but I am able to get down there mid/late morning. A few buddies will be there too, so if I am too late, hopefully they get the wristbands. These bottles are a little bigger than I expected. I was wondering how big they would be for $18 each. I have gone down there to fill growlers, but I don't think they are that big.

http://www.thejgcustoms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/img_8488.jpg

Damn.....my nipples got hard looking at those. Those are not normal 22s....looks like a Belgian style bottle but with a cap.

SnakeLH2006
10-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Any dark beer is worth the price.

Freak Out
10-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Howard is in line.

HowardRoark
10-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Howard is in line.

QFT.

This thing was quite the ordeal. We got there around 10 am.....very long line, people camped out all night. Waited for a couple hours (had a four pack of Surly Fest, so it was OK), when we got within 20 people they came by and said "no more wristbands!!!!" Went in anyway an drank some Darkness, etc., etc.

Talked a volunteer into selling me part of his allotment, so, I got 4........I will mail one to your restaurant.

I met a whole new group of people today....the beernerd Capitalist.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=surly+darkness&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Freak Out
10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Howard is in line.

QFT.

This thing was quite the ordeal. We got there around 10 am.....very long line, people camped out all night. Waited for a couple hours (had a four pack of Surly Fest, so it was OK), when we got within 20 people they came by and said "no more wristbands!!!!" Went in anyway an drank some Darkness, etc., etc.

Talked a volunteer into selling me part of his allotment, so, I got 4........I will mail one to your restaurant.

I met a whole new group of people today....the beernerd Capitalist.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=surly+darkness&_sacat=See-All-Categories

That's just wrong......

Bummer about the line...20 from the front and shut down!

red
10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
thats nuts

shit better be worth it

Freak Out
10-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Howard I will PM you a Fedex account number in the next day or two and I'll swap you some brews for a darkness....I have all the latest Midnight Sun beers so I'll send a Berserker and any others of your choosing.

HowardRoark
10-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Wet Hop time.......

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3970709208_be72405140.jpg

They actually make an "Estate" version...3x the cost.

http://www.sierranevada.com/about/images/Harvest-EstateBottleLG.jpg

Freak Out
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm heading down to Portland for the weekend and will be attending the Hair of the Dog brewing anniversary and dock sale. Its always a great time and as usual they will have some amazing beers for sale which are available only at the brewery. Anyone in the NW and want to share a brew let me know.

http://www.hairofthedog.com/

http://www.hairofthedog.com/art/TFred290x306.gif

MJZiggy
11-11-2009, 06:02 PM
When are you coming to Dogfish with me?

Freak Out
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM

I hope soon. Maybe around thanksgiving weekend? Let me check flights and see what the Alaska flights to DC look like. My wife has family in Virginia (near DC) that we need to visit as well as a good friend in Baltimore so we could make the rounds and meet up with you at....what DFH location do you live nearest?

It would be a blast Zig.

HowardRoark
11-11-2009, 07:04 PM

I hope soon. Maybe around thanksgiving weekend? Let me check flights and see what the Alaska flights to DC look like. My wife has family in Virginia (near DC) that we need to visit as well as a good friend in Baltimore so we could make the rounds and meet up with you at....what DFH location do you live nearest?

It would be a blast Zig.

Did you get the beer yet? It should have been there today.

Freak Out
11-11-2009, 07:17 PM

It would be a blast Zig.

No! I'll keep my eyes peeled. Damn.......can't wait.

Freak Out
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM

It would be a blast Zig.

Just got it! I'll open it when I get back to the house.

Some goodies will be coming your way shortly Roark!

:worship:

MJZiggy
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM

It would be a blast Zig.

Gaithersburg is closest, just off 270. You just missed the sweetest little warm front. I was all over M Street last night and wasn't cold at all.

HowardRoark
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM

It would be a blast Zig.

Did they make it one piece?

Freak Out
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM

It would be a blast Zig.

The eagle has landed! Everything made it fine....old time beer traders would be proud of the packing job you did. :)

Never heard of Rush River...looking forward to it.

Not sure how long I'll hold the Darkness........... :wait:

I'll get some Berserker and other Alaskan goodness headed your way soon.

Thanks again friend. :glug:

HowardRoark
11-13-2009, 12:58 PM

It would be a blast Zig.

The eagle has landed! Everything made it fine....old time beer traders would be proud of the packing job you did. :)

Never heard of Rush River...looking forward to it.

Not sure how long I'll hold the Darkness........... :wait:

I'll get some Berserker and other Alaskan goodness headed your way soon.

Thanks again friend. :glug:

I may have been a little overkill on packing, but I was concerned about the bottles blowing up in the air and then leaking all over the box.

The Rush River is OK, but when compared to the intense flavor of the Surly beers, it tastes like a Grain Belt. I should have thrown some Grain Belt in for you, you probably can't get that either.

The Darkness is like powder skiing compared to regular skiing. It's still beer, but a whole different thing.

I look forward to the Alaskan goodness....it is not necessary, but I'll take it.

HowardRoark
11-21-2009, 12:24 PM
I gotta go buy some beer for the weekend......

http://www.mikeadamsonline.com/Colorado_2004_2/images/Colorado-Ritz/Beaver_Liquors1.jpg

mraynrand
11-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I should have thrown some Grain Belt in for you, you probably can't get that either.

I thought you wanted to stay friends. Friends don't let friends drink Grain Belt.

Zool
11-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I should have thrown some Grain Belt in for you, you probably can't get that either.

I thought you wanted to stay friends. Friends don't let friends drink Grain Belt.

Perhaps he meant Grain Belt Premium?

mraynrand
11-22-2009, 12:13 AM

We'll get that fixed.

Freak Out
11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
A box of goodies are headed your way Roark. I'll get you a tracking number shortly......it should be on the doorstep Wednesday. Surprise can of beer from Hawaii thrown in for a little taste of the islands.

"Book 'em Danno"

HowardRoark
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
A box of goodies are headed your way Roark. I'll get you a tracking number shortly......it should be on the doorstep Wednesday. Surprise can of beer from Hawaii thrown in for a little taste of the islands.

"Book 'em Danno"

Looking forward to it! I am getting more than a little concerned about family coming in town for Thanksgiving however.

I can see it now.....empty bottles everywhere of things that were NOT to be opened (I have a special stash of Grain Belt for family)...."a little too dark for me Howard, didn't like it."

Freak Out
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/417/10364

Premium gets a higher rating than a certain Busch product I've had in the past.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/37389

A friend brought one to a tasting as a joke and of course we drank it.

:lol:

Freak Out
11-23-2009, 05:31 PM

"Book 'em Danno"

Looking forward to it! I am getting more than a little concerned about family coming in town for Thanksgiving however.

I can see it now.....empty bottles everywhere of things that were NOT to be opened (I have a special stash of Grain Belt for family)...."a little too dark for me Howard, didn't like it."

I lock the cellar when I have a crowd like that over or I'm out of town for a bit. I came home after a week long trip once to find a $300 bottle of vintage port empty after my wife had some friends over. A "friend" went downstairs to get another bottle of wine and she didn't pay attention to what she brought back. :smack:

Zool
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Its actually pretty mediocre beer. I don't love it but I can drink it any time. Plus its brewed like an hour from here so its cheap.

Freak Out
11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is pretty tasty after sitting for a couple of years.

mraynrand
11-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Ahhh...Bush beer...

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/X/D/bush_beer.jpg

HowardRoark
11-25-2009, 02:44 PM

"Book 'em Danno"

Wunderbar! Everything arrived just in time for a long weekend with a Packer game.

This stuff looks more like a good soup (with all the ingredients)....this one in particular has caught my eye. I don't think it will live through the night:
http://midnightsunbrewing.com/images/labels/berserker-small.jpg

Thanks a lot....this worked out great.

Guiness
11-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Went browsing through the beer section looking for interesting singles, and picked a couple of winners.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - was great!
Chimay Premiere Trappist Ale

My homebrewing career is coming along nicely as well :)

red
11-25-2009, 04:49 PM

you too? mines actually had a couple of speed bumps. i lost my last two batches to contamination. which really pisses me off because i cleaned and sanitized everything very well, so i thought.

i really like chimay

today i picked up some smithwicks, which is my first time trying. i love it, very smooth. and i also picked up some other irish stout that i had never heard of before. o'hara's irish stout

Zool
11-25-2009, 04:50 PM

you too? mines actually had a couple of speed bumps. i lost my last two batches to contamination. which really pisses me off because i cleaned and sanitized everything very well, so i thought.

i really like chimay

today i picked up some smithwicks, which is my first time trying. i love it, very smooth. and i also picked up some other irish stout that i had never heard of before

I tried to order a Smithwicks at an Irish pub. The guy wouldn't serve me till I said it right.

Smitticks apparently

red
11-25-2009, 04:54 PM

i really like chimay

today i picked up some smithwicks, which is my first time trying. i love it, very smooth. and i also picked up some other irish stout that i had never heard of before

I tried to order a Smithwicks at an Irish pub. The guy wouldn't serve me till I said it right.

Smitticks apparently

thats probably the official drunken irish way to pronounce it

MJZiggy
11-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Went browsing through the beer section looking for interesting singles, and picked a couple of winners.

Ahhhhhh....Chimay!!! MMmmmmmm!!! Wait. Is that the stuff in the blue bottle or the brown?

red
11-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Ahhhhhh....Chimay!!! MMmmmmmm!!! Wait. Is that the stuff in the blue bottle or the brown?

neither, is the red label

blue, the grand reserve, is my favorite out of the three

Guiness
11-25-2009, 09:52 PM

i really like chimay

today i picked up some smithwicks, which is my first time trying. i love it, very smooth. and i also picked up some other irish stout that i had never heard of before. o'hara's irish stout

Just started back up this year, and couldn't be happier with the results. Kept it simple for the first few, some kits, but getting more exotic now. Have a pumpkin ale and an Aplefwein brewing!

Sorry to hear you lost some batches - get some sort of an infection? What was the problem?

red
11-25-2009, 10:18 PM

i really like chimay

Just started back up this year, and couldn't be happier with the results. Kept it simple for the first few, some kits, but getting more exotic now. Have a pumpkin ale and an Aplefwein brewing!

Sorry to hear you lost some batches - get some sort of an infection? What was the problem?

the last two tasted great after second fermentation, then i bottled them. after a couple weeks when i went to crack them open they were sour as hell and completely undrinkable. one was a breakfast stout and one was a continental pilsner kit that i had made two previous times and had no problems. so niether should have tasted sour.

i'm thinking the bottling spigot might have had something hiding in a crack, or maybe the wand

i think i need to just start kegging so i can skip the bottling all together

i've also now purchased a steamer to go a long with the various chemicals for cleaning.

i am now a full fledged brewing germaphobe

i've actually got a kolsch batch just sitting there, its done fermenting, i'm just scared to bottle it. lol

Guiness
11-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Red label. Blue is the Réserve, White is the Trippel. All excellent!

lol - I forgot my avatar is my god with a Trappist! (ya, I'm going to hell for that)

Guiness
11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Contamination at bottling can be a problem. Where the tube fits over the racking cane and the wand, there's room for bacteria to harbour. I take my spigot fully apart and sanitize every session, but admit that I don't with my siphon.

Look on the bright side. You made your first lambic!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/7435

Freak Out
11-25-2009, 11:14 PM

"Book 'em Danno"

Wunderbar! Everything arrived just in time for a long weekend with a Packer game.

This stuff looks more like a good soup (with all the ingredients)....this one in particular has caught my eye. I don't think it will live through the night:

Glad to here it made it down fine.....the Berserker is one of my all time favorite imperial stouts. I think you will enjoy all of it...the Obliteration 6 smells like grapefruit and Puna bud when you open it...just amazing! The smoked porter is one of my favs as well.

Freak Out
11-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Contamination at bottling can be a problem. Where the tube fits over the racking cane and the wand, there's room for bacteria to harbour. I take my spigot fully apart and sanitize every session, but admit that I don't with my siphon.

That's right....don't ever throw it away. Transfer it to another carboy or cask and let it work it's magic.

One of best beers I've ever had was a dopplebock gone bad.

red
11-26-2009, 09:23 AM

That's right....don't ever throw it away. Transfer it to another carboy or cask and let it work it's magic.

cam you save it at that point?

i thought the sugers were destroyed and the yeast was all dead by then

will the bacteria die off and restore some flavor?

i'll pass on the lambic, no thanks

HowardRoark
11-26-2009, 11:17 AM

"Book 'em Danno"

Glad to here it made it down fine.....the Berserker is one of my all time favorite imperial stouts. I think you will enjoy all of it...the Obliteration 6 smells like grapefruit and Puna bud when you open it...just amazing! The smoked porter is one of my favs as well.

The stuff poured like a change of oil after 20,000 miles.....but waa very smooth, tasted very good, and kicked in pretty decent too.

Guiness
11-26-2009, 01:03 PM

The yeast should be there, and dormant, but you're right, they probably won't do anything else at this point. Allowing the beer to mellow and let the taste of the grains and hops come through is what you're going to do if you hold on to it. The only batch I ever had to pour out was one that had a sulfur taste, and it just wasn't going to get any better. Tasted like a burnt match.

Unless you need the bottles or space, I'd say just see what happens. Open another one in a month and see!

red
11-26-2009, 01:21 PM

The yeast should be there, and dormant, but you're right, they probably won't do anything else at this point. Allowing the beer to mellow and let the taste of the grains and hops come through is what you're going to do if you hold on to it. The only batch I ever had to pour out was one that had a sulfur taste, and it just wasn't going to get any better. Tasted like a burnt match.

Unless you need the bottles or space, I'd say just see what happens. Open another one in a month and see!

that sulfer taste was what i had i think, it was like bile

i already poured out both bad batches

Freak Out
11-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Sour is good.....rotten eggs is bad. :lol:

Guiness
11-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Sour is good.....rotten eggs is bad. :lol:

Yup, if that's what it was, it had to go.

digitaldean
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Did some beer shopping last weekend. Found a deal on some clearanced Berghoff Oktoberfest. Not too shabby.

Doesn't quite match up with Hacker-Pschorr's, but quite tasty nonetheless!

Freak Out
11-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Man alive......Lust is on tap again at MSB.

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/beer_7DSlust.php

Just amazing stuff.

This is the sour I was talking about here Red..

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/sales/SS_goodMojo.pdf

That started as a doppelbock. :)

The Mojo is so good. :hug:

red
11-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Man alive......Lust is on tap again at MSB.

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/beer_7DSlust.php

Just amazing stuff.

This is the sour I was talking about here Red..

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/sales/SS_goodMojo.pdf

That started as a doppelbock. :)

The Mojo is so good. :hug:

wow, i've never heard of that. sounds very interesting

Guiness
11-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Just saying.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Gray's Oatmeal Stout

Score: 89 "Dark brown-black hue. Cocoa aromas follow through with bitter chocolate flavors and a medium-bodied palate with a smooth mouthfeel and a fruity, caramel finish. A very stylish and smooth oatmeal stout." Tasted 12/2002 (All About Beer, May 2004)

http://www.thedailypage.com/media/2008/12/03/bh120308a.jpg

Yummy. Snake prefers the dark beers over red beers anyday. I'm a huge Guinness beer fan, but the chocolate, smoky hint of flavor is great with this beer.

Big, Black, Bold. Mobb would be proud. :tup:

Guiness
12-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Was by the liquor store and saw some of that Gray's. Going to pick some up next time.

Been enjoying a lot of Porter's and Stout's lately. Had some Fulller's London Porter, and it was very nice. The 'burnt' flavour was really strong though.

Freak Out
12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I was told that Cafe Amsterdam up here is supposed to get some Westvletern for Christmas. I'll make a reconnaissance run tonight and try and get a confirmation. :)

SnakeLH2006
12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Guinness...you check out that Gray's yet? Seriously, I don't barhop as much as I used to, but for an excellent tasting dark beer (Snake loves all dark beers)..this beats Guinness....and I love that beer.

Anytime out, I always ask if they have bottles of Gray's...A bit pricey, but just excellent tasting dark beer. Check it out, bro and holla back. Once you go big, bold, and black, you can't go back, homey. :D

red
12-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I was told that Cafe Amsterdam up here is supposed to get some Westvletern for Christmas. I'll make a reconnaissance run tonight and try and get a confirmation. :)

that would be awesome

Guiness
12-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Had something specific in mind when I saw the Gray's, but asked at the checkout, and they're carrying it now, so it's on the list for next time. Thanks for the tip Snake 8-)

I lean towards dark ales myself. The Young's double chocolate I mentioned earlier in this thread, Guinness (shocker), Beamish is another one I like, but haven't been able to find it in at least a couple of years; Fuller's London Porter is nice. Hockley Valley Stout and 10W30 (Canadian craft breweries) are excellent as well, not so sure if you would be able to find them.

Last beer I made started with a Cooper's Dark Ale kit as the base. I bottled it last night, and a taste test showed that it had that burnt/roasted characteristic that Porters and Stouts exhibit. I was pretty happy about that!

Put in another batch, a malty, lightly hopped cider (!). Anxious for that one.

digitaldean
12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Gray's Oatmeal Stout

Score: 89 "Dark brown-black hue. Cocoa aromas follow through with bitter chocolate flavors and a medium-bodied palate with a smooth mouthfeel and a fruity, caramel finish. A very stylish and smooth oatmeal stout." Tasted 12/2002 (All About Beer, May 2004)

http://www.thedailypage.com/media/2008/12/03/bh120308a.jpg

Yummy. Snake prefers the dark beers over red beers anyday. I'm a huge Guinness beer fan, but the chocolate, smoky hint of flavor is great with this beer.

Big, Black, Bold. Mobb would be proud. :tup:

Snake, I like the darker stouts like this. There was one I tried a long time ago, but couldn't find recently, at least in my area.. it's Mackeson Triple XXX Stout. It's a milk stout. If you like Sam Smith Oatmeal stout, give this one a try.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9/19

Having a devil of a time finding it in the NE Wis. area. Even Flanagan's, which has tons of microbrews hasn't stocked it.

Freak Out
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Well the 12 days of Barleywine has started at the Glacier Brewhouse once again and I must say the first two days were loaded with some amazing brews....heading out now to hit day three.

http://glacierbrewhouse.com/brewery.htm

Iron Mike
12-12-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm drinking some Moose Drool as I type

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/moose-drool-brown-ale-30898.jpg

Guiness
12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Well the 12 days of Barleywine has started at the Glacier Brewhouse once again and I must say the first two days were loaded with some amazing brews....heading out now to hit day three.

Just had a look at Glacier House's website - looks great! I love their policy on refilling corny kegs - $11/gallon, and they clean the keg for you at the same time. It's like bringing your travel mug into a coffee shop!

Freak Out
12-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Just had a look at Glacier House's website - looks great! I love their policy on refilling corny kegs - $11/gallon, and they clean the keg for you at the same time. It's like bringing your travel mug into a coffee shop!

They brew some really nice stuff there....none of it ever makes it into a bottle but that's ok..I only live 10 blocks away so I don't miss much. :)
There are some stellar brews in the lineup this year...so far the cherry and raspberry XXX, and many of the barrel aged barley wines have stood out from the crowd. The barrel aged imperial stouts are always fantastic...they have been aging in some Ukrainian oak the past few years and that is a interesting taste. The eisbocks start tomorrow and I have been rather fond of those from my years in Germany.

Did I mention the food is great?

SnakeLH2006
12-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Dark beer drinkers unite. Just drank 3 Gray's tonite at the bar...Too bad I forgot those other great beers listed on here. I was trying to remember them, but couldn't.

HowardRoark
12-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I woke up this morning with an empty bottle of this...(with thanks to Freak Out, this was another very good one).

http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhere/2009/01/medium_alsakan%20Somoked%20porter%202007.JPG

And two empties of this....

http://things.thingelstad.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Surly-Darkness.png

....and a headache. The guy I split them with (who can out drink just about anybody), was quite impressed with the ABVs.

Sparkey
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
http://shop.newbelgium.com/files/beerglassimage/beers_2b.png

Very nice. Hoppy, but not overly with a slight cranberry taste initially, with a nutty hint of burnt caramel and a sharp clean finish. Good stuff I dare say!

HowardRoark
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
http://shop.newbelgium.com/files/beerglassimage/beers_2b.png

Very nice. Hoppy, but not overly with a slight cranberry taste initially, with a nutty hint of burnt caramel and a sharp clean finish. Good stuff I dare say!

Just got back from the liquor store...I was about to pick up some of that 2 Below stuff....it is good.

Got this instead....getting raeady for the blizzard:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/3266.jpg

wootah
12-23-2009, 03:37 AM
The Westvleteren hype continues... Ever since some American beer magazine voted it the nr1 beer in the world, the monks had to change their way of selling it, since some were just buying loads of it to ship to the US. Right now - if it hasn't changed again - the procedure is that you have call in advance, give your license plate number & than you are allowed to get a couple of bottles on that day with that car. I'm from Belgium myself, but since I don't drink beers/wine, I haven't tried it myself. My friends tell me it's pretty good, though.

Some other Belgian beers which they recommend; Duvel (very popular over here), Leffe and all trappist beers (there are only 7 of those in the world of which 6 are from Belgium). (Westvleteren,) Chimay, Achel, Orval, Rochefort & Westmalle.

red
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
The Westvleteren hype continues... Ever since some American beer magazine voted it the nr1 beer in the world, the monks had to change their way of selling it, since some were just buying loads of it to ship to the US. Right now - if it hasn't changed again - the procedure is that you have call in advance, give your license plate number & than you are allowed to get a couple of bottles on that day with that car. I'm from Belgium myself, but since I don't drink beers/wine, I haven't tried it myself. My friends tell me it's pretty good, though.

Some other Belgian beers which they recommend; Duvel (very popular over here), Leffe and all trappist beers (there are only 7 of those in the world of which 6 are from Belgium). (Westvleteren,) Chimay, Achel, Orval, Rochefort & Westmalle.

unless it changed just recently, its two cases, not just two bottles. and i think you're only allowed to do it once per month

i've had leffe and didn't care for it at all, i almost couldn't finish one bottle

the trappist beers are just in a class all on their own, i have had them all except for achel, including the 7th one (la trappe). the westmalle dubbel is my favorite out of all of them

and duvel is just simply a great beer, i love it, i could drink it every day at every meal

wootah
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
How is it possible that you know these details from another continent? :)

Some other beers my friends like to drink; Kwak (with the special glass) & Lachouffe.

Freak Out
12-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Some other beers my friends like to drink; Kwak (with the special glass) & Lachouffe.

Rodenbach Grand Cru is an all time favorite.

America imports beer from everywhere especially Europe wootah....pretty much anything brewed/bottled on the Continent we can get.....even in Alaska. :)

America has/is undergoing a full on brewing Renaissance while European brewing is contracting with certain notable exceptions (British Isles and Belgium).

Freak Out
12-23-2009, 11:50 AM
It's almost time for another shipment Howard......I needs me some New Glarus and some Great lakes. :lol:

red
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM

i like beer

you can find chimay all over the place over here. its a little tougher to find the other trappist beers, but they are imported by one company and distributed to certain liquor stores. all except achel and westvleteren.

theres a great store in green bay that sells all of them available in the states and many other hard to find beer from around the world

i knew the legend of westvleteren and had to try some, so i ordered some off the internet from a guy who lives in brussels. had it shipped here

very expensive, but well worth it, just to see what all the hub bub was about

HowardRoark
12-23-2009, 04:26 PM
It's almost time for another shipment Howard......I needs me some New Glarus and some Great lakes. :lol:

I can't get Great Lakes up here in Minnesota. I don't think you can buy it in Wisconsin either. You may have to have Rand send you some. Although I will be seeing my brother over the Holidays, and he lives in Ohio....so I can ask him again. I put in an order last year for some of that Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, but he forgot it (he told me it was good and thanked me for the tip). I think I will call him and request some more.

As far as the New Glarus, I can get that no problem. What kind do you like? I first tried Spotted Cow about 12 years ago when it was VERY local. I frequented an excellent restaurant in Pepin (Harbor View), and was turned on the the brewery back then.....but I think I need to be re-sold on their stuff lately. It's everywhere around Wisconsin nowadays. Have you ever had any Sprecher or Capital Brewery? They both have some good beers. Sprecher makes a good one called Special Amber.

I will get some together after the Holidays. I will try for the Great Lakes too, unless Rand sends you a case.

Your first shipment was good. That Obliteration was like drinking a potpourri. If I am feeling unusually charitable, I might throw in some Grain Belt.

red
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
i can get some great lakes

Freak Out
12-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Yum. This is probably the best Gruit I've ever had. Had a glass pre release today at the brewery.

http://www.midnightsunbrewing.com/beer_9CBbathtubGin.php

MichiganPackerFan
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
This is one of my favorites for sure!

http://weblogs.cltv.com/entertainment/tv/metromix/Nosferatu_BottleGlass[1].jpg

HowardRoark
01-05-2010, 08:46 PM

I've got a new load ready to ship. As a veteran beer trader, is it OK to ship this time of year? Will tthe bottles freeze and burst? A friend of mine buys a lot of wine that ships and tells me that once it gets really cold, he doesn't order anymore for that reason.

BTW.....stay calm at 10 am, this in only a test!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will run state-wide tests in Alaska on Wednesday of the country's Emergency Alert System, which uses television and radio to inform the public in the event of a national emergency.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a statement that the tests, which have been planned since September, would be conducted at 10 a.m. (2 p.m. EST/1900 GMT).

Freak Out
01-07-2010, 06:40 PM

I've got a new load ready to ship. As a veteran beer trader, is it OK to ship this time of year? Will tthe bottles freeze and burst? A friend of mine buys a lot of wine that ships and tells me that once it gets really cold, he doesn't order anymore for that reason.

BTW.....stay calm at 10 am, this in only a test!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will run state-wide tests in Alaska on Wednesday of the country's Emergency Alert System, which uses television and radio to inform the public in the event of a national emergency.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a statement that the tests, which have been planned since September, would be conducted at 10 a.m. (2 p.m. EST/1900 GMT).

I'm always ready. Fire away and I will reload and return. Same shipping method. I have some great stuff in the cellar just waiting to head south...east. If it's delivered when I'm gone it won't sit out long enough to hurt it.

The test went well from what I could tell. :)

red
01-10-2010, 10:57 PM
i'll be brewing a westmalle dubbel clone sometime this week

supplies should be here tomorrow

Fosco33
01-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Had some Shock Top Wheat Ale today... darn tasty.

Freak Out
01-11-2010, 12:54 AM

Nice....all grain? I love to brew but I rarely have the time to anymore. Post some photos of it in a glass after it's ready if you don't mind.

We really need to find a way to get together for a tasting sometime.

red
01-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Nice....all grain? I love to brew but I rarely have the time to anymore. Post some photos of it in a glass after it's ready if you don't mind.

We really need to find a way to get together for a tasting sometime.

no, i'm not an all grain brewer yet. its a partial

Freak Out
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Here is a link to this weekends GABBWF. Lots of great beer....it's going to be fun.

http://auroraproductions.net/docs/GABBF10_Program.pdf

I know the Oskar Blues folks so I'll be repping for them as none can make it up. Free tix...... :)

Freak Out
01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Is this a real Guinness commercial? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z3Mp94ruVa4

Guiness
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Every try Blue Moon? It's on my list to do.

Guiness
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
The beer I brew has quickly become my favorite beer for the most part. I'm not so foolish as to think I brew better than the micros and crafts, but I can tailor my brew to my tastes.

I've got a few on the go right now. One is Young's Double Chocolate Stout inspired - I poured a can of cocoa right into the batch! The other is an Sierra Nevada inspired American Pale Ale. A fortune in hops into that one!

Anyone who hasn't tried it should. To start, you don't have to go all grain, or even partial to get something very good. Some of the kits being produced these days are quite good just as they are. Lots of resources on the net about it.

SnakeLH2006
01-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Every try Blue Moon? It's on my list to do.

I thought we covered that one a few pages back, but yep, Blue Moon's are great...usually served with an orange slice at the bar. Snake's not keen on the fruity drinks, but that is a good chill beer with a nice aroma/taste. If you know some lady friends that aren't into beers, try recommending/buy them one at the bar. They'll enjoy it. Guys do too.

Guiness
01-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Chimay got brought up, but I don't remember Blue Moon.

I'm not a 'lime in the beer' fan to make something palatable, a la Corona, but Blue Moon is different - the lime adds something to it, not just makes it drinkable!

Local micro/craft just put out a couple of specials - one the call 'Texas Tea' which a dark beer that has honey in it - very nice, and 'Big Dog Porter' which is a London Porter mixed with wine that I really enjoyed.

http://www.neustadtsprings.com/

HowardRoark
02-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Good....

http://beerandmicrobrews.com/mirrorpond-pa.jpg

still thinking....

http://jritchie.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/faceplant1.jpg

not so good....

http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bayern-dancing-trout.gif

Freak Out
02-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Howard....I"m going to wait till this is released on Friday to ship.

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/sales/SS_rondyBrew2010.pdf

HowardRoark
02-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Looks like a good one...Oskar Blues does too. I look forward to it.....I need some new beer for the ice house. I need to check out the better beer stores around here to see if I can get some of this stuff....Deschutes too.

A beer to celebrate a dog sled race? Is that a big event up there?

Freak Out
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Looks like a good one...Oskar Blues does too. I look forward to it.....I need some new beer for the ice house. I need to check out the better beer stores around here to see if I can get some of this stuff....Deschutes too.

A beer to celebrate a dog sled race? Is that a big event up there?

Fur Rendezvous was first and foremost a time when the trappers/traders came together to sell pelts and trade for other goods (booze, nookie) and gamble away their hard earned money. The mushing started as a way for the trappers and such to show off their dog teams and gamble and has evolved over the years into the World sprint dog championships.

Lots of other things going on.

http://www.furrondy.net/

Guiness
02-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Any of you beer lovers from Northern Washington state?

I'm going to Bellingham on business, and wondering what available there wrt brew pubs and local brews!

Freak Out
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm going to Bellingham on business, and wondering what available there wrt brew pubs and local brews!

Here is the Beerfly report on Bellingham. I love the place......enjoy the rain. :)

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?city=Bellingham&c_id=US&s_id=WA

I've had some good stuff from Boundary Bay in the past......there should be no shortage of good beer to be had.

Iron Mike
02-05-2010, 06:16 PM

I'll be in Seattle next weekend.

http://www.washingtonbeer.com/

Guiness
02-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I ordered some hops from Hops Direct in Wa. Also picked up some pickled pepper hop shoots - should be good!

red
02-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I ordered some hops from Hops Direct in Wa. Also picked up some pickled pepper hop shoots - should be good!

do you do leafs or pellet?

those are great prices, i'll have to remember them

Guiness
02-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Great pricing is the word for it.

A friend and I went in, and we got some cascade, chinook, hallertauer, centenial, golding, willamette and columbus. Also picked up some hop tea and pickled hop shoot!

I got some of each - leaf for finishing, pellets for bittering.

Can't say enough about dealing with them. They sell in quantities a homebrewer can use, a lot of hop growers won't sell in quantities under 11lb without a premium. Shipping costs were reasonable, and the product was well packed. There was NO air in those packages.

HowardRoark
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Beer could help prevent weak bones

(UKPA) – 1 day ago

Beer is a rich source of a nutrient that can help prevent weak bones - but it depends what type you drink, researchers said.

As one of the nation's favourite drinks, beer is a rich source of dietary silicon, which can help cut the chance of developing diseases like osteoporosis, they said.

However, not all beers are the same, with those containing malted barley and hops having higher silicon content than beers made from wheat.

Some light lagers made from grains like corn have the lowest levels of silicon while beers made from hops seem to come out on top, according to the study from researchers at University of California, Davis.

Their research, published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, involved examining 100 commercial beers and their production methods.

The experts said beer was a major source of dietary silicon - roughly half of the silicon in beer can be readily absorbed by the body.

Charles Bamforth, lead author of the study, said: "Beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon.

"Wheat contains less silicon than barley because it is the husk of the barley that is rich in this element.

"While most of the silicon remains in the husk during brewing, significant quantities of silicon nonetheless are extracted into wort and much of this survives into beer."

Dr Claire Bowring, from the National Osteoporosis Society, said: "These findings mirror results from previous studies which concluded that moderate alcohol consumption could be beneficial to bones. However, while the National Osteoporosis Society welcomes measures to improve bone health we do not recommend anyone increases their alcohol consumption on the basis of these studies."

Freak Out
02-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Another excellent reason to drink more beer. :)

TY Howard.

Joemailman
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Not only that, but it appears that many of the worst beers have the lowest levels of silicon.

Iron Mike
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I pounded down some of these on Friday:

http://thefullpint.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/fs-session-black-bottle.jpg

Joemailman
02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Anybody familiar with Tyranena beers? Chocolate Imperial Porter sounds good.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/784/51827

Freak Out
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Anybody familiar with Tyranena beers? Chocolate Imperial Porter sounds good.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/784/51827

Some of the "Brewers gone wild" series sounds amazing. I'll have to look for some next time I'm in the region.

Joemailman
02-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Pretty tasty beer. Would probably be welcomed by people who don't like the bitterness of a stout, but would like something a bit tastier than your usual lager. Would probably go great with any king of German cuisine.

http://www.wanderingfools.com/images/Beers/Sam-Adams-Black-Lager.jpg

Freak Out
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Pretty tasty beer. Would probably be welcomed by people who don't like the bitterness of a stout, but would like something a bit tastier than your usual lager. Would probably go great with any king of German cuisine.

http://www.wanderingfools.com/images/Beers/Sam-Adams-Black-Lager.jpg

Sam Adams does a few decent specialty beers.....I've never had that one though.

I love really strong beers.....and have had a few different years of this http://www.1000bottlesofbeer.com/images/-75-.jpg triple bock most of the time it tastes like a soy reduction.....not what you shoot for in a beer.

Joemailman
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
This is another Black Lager that is actually rated higher by Beer Advocate than the Session or Sam Adams Black Lager. Have to try to hunt it down.

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/images/beer/huge/bottle_16/bb_btl_16oz.jpg

Freak Out
02-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Are you going blind Joe? :lol: Try and get a bigger picture next time.

Roark sent me one of those in his last shipment....pretty tasty.

Joemailman
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I wanted to be able to read the warning from the Surgeon General. :lol:

HowardRoark
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Estimated delivery Mar 2, 2010 by 7:00 PM :cry:

Freak Out
03-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Estimated delivery Mar 2, 2010 by 7:00 PM :cry:

:wait:

I didn't want it sitting on the porch while you were still in the Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

Freak Out
03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Looks like it's sitting on the front porch. :D

HowardRoark
03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Looks like it's sitting on the front porch. :D

It has arrived and perfectly refrigerated on the front porch. Thanks.....looking forward to them.

Is everything bigger up in Alaska? Nothing but big bottles of beer. I am going to have to do a little research to see what these are all about........very entertaining labels.

13.2% ABV........I am glad I noticed that one.

Freak Out
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3gJDfDeJSZ4/Se4_ARbZRlI/AAAAAAAAGAE/gDFXF9EhkeU/s400/Ten+FIDY+with+glass,+smaller+300+dpi.jpg

Every can of Oskar Blues beer has a screen printed on the side. :smk:

HowardRoark
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Black Double IPA - XXX

Excellent; and a thing of beauty when poured...almost didn't want to drink it.

Freak Out
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Anyone going to be in Seattle next weekend and want to share a beer or three? I'll be here on Saturday.

http://www.hardliver.com/

Iron Mike?

Iron Mike
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Anyone going to be in Seattle next weekend and want to share a beer or three? I'll be here on Saturday.

Iron Mike?

Easter, my friend.......and then most likely permanently in the near future.

Iron Mike
03-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Anyone going to be in Seattle next weekend and want to share a beer or three? Iron Mike?

Have your cousin take you to Shorty's for a dog and PBR:

http://www.shortydog.com/tour.html

MJZiggy
03-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Iron Mike?

Easter, my friend.......and then most likely permanently in the near future.

You're moving to Seattle???

Iron Mike
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
You're moving to Seattle???

Well, technically, it's between Renton and Fairwood...... :wink:

HowardRoark
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM
http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/

http://pitchfork.com/news/38175-meet-the-wilco-tango-foxtrot-beer/

If all those Wilco sandwiches are leaving you a little thirsty, we might have a solution: Lagunitas Brewing Company's new springtime beer, Wilco Tango Foxtrot. According to the Petaluma, California-based brewery, the imperial brown ale is "rich, smooth, dangerous, and chocolatey."

Iron Mike
03-13-2010, 08:37 AM

If all those Wilco sandwiches are leaving you a little thirsty, we might have a solution: Lagunitas Brewing Company's new springtime beer, Wilco Tango Foxtrot. According to the Petaluma, California-based brewery, the imperial brown ale is "rich, smooth, dangerous, and chocolatey."

Way to pull the thread back on topic!!! :glug:

Joemailman
03-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Anybody tried this?

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/generic-beer.jpg

Freak Out
03-18-2010, 07:23 PM

I was really bummed when they stopped producing the Zappa beers... :cry:

I've heard the WTF is very nice.

Freak Out
03-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Can you guys get the Cantillon Cuvee Des Champions in your area? Great stuff...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/21683

Another amazing beer is the Pannepot....had a 2006 the other day....freaking amazing.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15237/34306

Freak Out
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Can someone in the Chicago area get me some Goose Island Night Stalker please?

HowardRoark
04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Excellent news for those of us in Minnesota:

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/dining/91832969.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

http://popsop.ru/wp-content/uploads/tbd_beer_range_01.jpg

Freak Out
05-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Here is a list of beers I tried at a recent tasting....

Fred batch 2 (holy god) Sean you are the man!
2001 Barrel aged Leviathan Batch 3
Veritas 06
Mark's Plum Lambic
Mark's Gueze
Mark's Pale
Derek, Josh and Sean's wit
Derek, Josh and Sean's woodsman
Derek, Josh, and Sean's Cheers to Belgian Beer Silver Medal Winner
Harry brought at least two homebrews but I've forgotten the style
2000 Drie Fonteinen oude geuze
Cuvee des Champions
'08 and '09 Berserker
New Glarus Raspberry tart
Black Tuesday
2009 Southampton Berliner Weisse
Batch 1 Dark Horizon
Batch 2 Dark Horizon
Flaming Fury
Flossmoor Hi fi rye
2009 Southampton IRS
Jackie O's Dark Apparition
2009 Jacki O's Chungas old bruin
Weyerbacher tiny
Surly abrasive
Cigar City Winter Warmer
Midnight Sun Mayhem
Left Hand OA Imp. Stout
Brown's Brewing Whisky Barrel Aged Porter
'07, '08,'09 Abyss
Angel's Share Grand Cru
Dissident
Surly Smoke
Ska Sour
Flying Fish Exit 16 (wild rice double IPA)
Cascade Kriek
Nor'Easter Batch 4
Cuvee Mck 2009
Duclaw Pax Nemesis
2008 Old Woody
Avery DuganA
Black Butte XXI
Alpine Duet
Barley Brown's Disorder Stout
Barley Brown's WFO IPA
Midnight Sun Maybock 15
Brooklyn Monster Ale
Earthmonk
Bud Light
Avery Sui Generis
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Ithaca Ground Break
Limfjords Porter
Ezo (rogue) Imperial Chocolate Stout
Troegs Scratch 27
Bell's Expedition Stout
Great Lakes Blackout Stout
De Dolle Stille Nacht Special Reserva 2005
Founders Nemesis
Boon Faro
Southern Tier Krampus
Newport Storm '05
Newport Storm '07
Brewer's Art Ozzy
Pike Enitire
East End Toaster
Midnight Sun Panty Peeler
Grand Teton MountainBerry
BJ's Saison Du Portland
East End Smoke Stack Porter
Bottleworks 11

Bottleworks 10

Fifty Fifty Eclipse Stout Elijah Craig

Fifty Fifty Eclipse Stout Jack Daniels

Midnight Sun Pride

2000 Batch 2 Barrel Aged Poseidon's Imperial Stout

Stone Old Guardian

Midnight Sun Venus

HaandBryggeriet Odin's Tipple

Cigar City Humidor Maduro

Duclaw Colossus

Barley Brown's Havoc 2009

Barley Brown's Chaos Stranahan's Barrel Stave

swede
05-14-2010, 09:04 PM
What the heck was Bud Light doing in there? Eeeyechh!

Freak Out
05-15-2010, 12:47 AM
What the heck was Bud Light doing in there? Eeeyechh!

My friend threw that in the list as a joke....someone will always bring a bottle of swill as a joke. Beer nerds.

The batch 2 Fred (1997) from Hair of the Dog Brewing was amazing stuff. So many amazing beers.....

Guiness
05-19-2010, 11:03 PM
lol - I picked off the Bud Light as well. No lime beers though 8-(

Did you try the Left Hand Imperial Stout? Nice. I'm hoping to get my hands on some Great Lakes Blackout.

Oskar Blues makes some great stuff. I was at the Green Frog Cafe when the rep came by - had the Ten Fiddy, Yella Pils, Old Chub and the Gordon Ale (Imperial IPA). All great representatives of the styles. They also 'play' with their recipes, which is great. For instance, they'll do a special release of their Ten-Fidy aged in an oak barrel, or a whisky barrel - they don't stand pat on their recipes.

Guiness
05-19-2010, 11:08 PM
On the home brewing front, I'm having one of my Graff's (hopped, malty cider) right now, and I just finished a C-Mag IPA - a Chinook-Magnum hopped IPA that I couldn't be happier with.

Visited my brother and his friends, home of the swill, and had a Keystone Light or two after they plowed through the homebrew I brought. Wow, can I not stomach that stuff anymore.

Another fellow brought choke cherry wine (he picks the cherries right off a tree in his yard!) and it was really good! Sharp, cherry/cranberry, and I'll happily have some again.

Zool
05-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Had a Kentucky Breakfast Stout a week or so ago. Damned good beer

http://www.humpdayhappiness.com/beer/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hdh40_founderskbbas.jpg

Little Whiskey
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I was in Lawton, Michigan two weekend's ago and Stopped at Old Hat Brewery. $12 bucks to drink all 12 of their beers on Tap. Not a bad deal. Good thing for the DD.

http://oldhatbeer.com/index.php

Freak Out
05-20-2010, 11:46 AM
lol - I picked off the Bud Light as well. No lime beers though 8-(

Did you try the Left Hand Imperial Stout? Nice. I'm hoping to get my hands on some Great Lakes Blackout.

Oskar Blues makes some great stuff. I was at the Green Frog Cafe when the rep came by - had the Ten Fiddy, Yella Pils, Old Chub and the Gordon Ale (Imperial IPA). All great representatives of the styles. They also 'play' with their recipes, which is great. For instance, they'll do a special release of their Ten-Fidy aged in an oak barrel, or a whisky barrel - they don't stand pat on their recipes.

Was it an Oskar Blues rep or someone from the local Distributors? I know Burc who works for them.....great guy. Have you had the Gubna yet? I've had the barrel aged Ten Fidy at the Portland Holiday beer fest....very nice stuff.

Iron Mike
05-20-2010, 06:42 PM
I was in Lawton, Michigan two weekend's ago and Stopped at Old Hat Brewery. $12 bucks to drink all 12 of their beers on Tap. Not a bad deal.

12 beers for $12??? Just make sure Lahey doesn't get ahold of you after that.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/tpb.jpg

Joemailman
05-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Sometimes the brand of beer doesn't matter.

http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/gallery/oktoberfest/oktoberfest_girls-044_0.jpg

mraynrand
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Veritas 06
Mark's Plum Lambic
Mark's Gueze
Mark's Pale
Cuvee des Champions
'08 and '09 Berserker
Black Tuesday
Batch 1 Dark Horizon
Batch 2 Dark Horizon
Flaming Fury
Flossmoor Hi fi rye
2009 Southampton IRS
Weyerbacher tiny
Surly abrasive
Cigar City Winter Warmer
Midnight Sun Mayhem
Left Hand OA Imp. Stout
'07, '08,'09 Abyss
Angel's Share Grand Cru
Dissident
Surly Smoke
Ska Sour
Cascade Kriek
Nor'Easter Batch 4
Cuvee Mck 2009
Duclaw Pax Nemesis
2008 Old Woody
Avery DuganA
Black Butte XXI
Alpine Duet
Barley Brown's WFO IPA
Midnight Sun Maybock 15
Brooklyn Monster Ale
Earthmonk
Bud Light
Avery Sui Generis
Ithaca Ground Break
Limfjords Porter
Troegs Scratch 27
Bell's Expedition Stout
Founders Nemesis
Boon Faro
Southern Tier Krampus
Newport Storm '05
Newport Storm '07
Brewer's Art Ozzy
Pike Enitire
East End Toaster
BJ's Saison Du Portland
Bottleworks 11

Bottleworks 10

Midnight Sun Pride

Stone Old Guardian

Midnight Sun Venus

Duclaw Colossus

By my count that's 86 beers. At a minimum 2oz/taste that's still at least 14 beers! How long did this tasting last???

Freak Out
05-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Veritas 06
Mark's Plum Lambic
Mark's Gueze
Mark's Pale
Cuvee des Champions
'08 and '09 Berserker
Black Tuesday
Batch 1 Dark Horizon
Batch 2 Dark Horizon
Flaming Fury
Flossmoor Hi fi rye
2009 Southampton IRS
Weyerbacher tiny
Surly abrasive
Cigar City Winter Warmer
Midnight Sun Mayhem
Left Hand OA Imp. Stout
'07, '08,'09 Abyss
Angel's Share Grand Cru
Dissident
Surly Smoke
Ska Sour
Cascade Kriek
Nor'Easter Batch 4
Cuvee Mck 2009
Duclaw Pax Nemesis
2008 Old Woody
Avery DuganA
Black Butte XXI
Alpine Duet
Barley Brown's WFO IPA
Midnight Sun Maybock 15
Brooklyn Monster Ale
Earthmonk
Bud Light
Avery Sui Generis
Ithaca Ground Break
Limfjords Porter
Troegs Scratch 27
Bell's Expedition Stout
Founders Nemesis
Boon Faro
Southern Tier Krampus
Newport Storm '05
Newport Storm '07
Brewer's Art Ozzy
Pike Enitire
East End Toaster
BJ's Saison Du Portland
Bottleworks 11

Bottleworks 10

Midnight Sun Pride

Stone Old Guardian

Midnight Sun Venus

Duclaw Colossus

By my count that's 86 beers. At a minimum 2oz/taste that's still at least 14 beers! How long did this tasting last???

It started around 12-1pm and I left at 1am after sampling some single malt scotch. I walked across the street to my sisters and went to bed after those.....well...I levitated across the street.

HowardRoark
06-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Finally get around to my last Freak Out beer.....very nice. I was out on the lake......can't have too many of these (10.5% ABV) with sheriffs lurking around every corner.

http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/oskar-blues-ten-fidy.gif

Freak Out
06-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Finally get around to my last Freak Out beer.....very nice. I was out on the lake......can't have too many of these (10.5% ABV) with sheriffs lurking around every corner.

I have a few bottles with your name on them. I'll let you know when they are ready to head your way.

The Fidy is nice stuff......I have one Edmund left as well as the Darkness.....that will be cellared for at least a year.

HowardRoark
07-01-2010, 08:27 PM

I have a few bottles with your name on them. I'll let you know when they are ready to head your way.

The Fidy is nice stuff......I have one Edmund left as well as the Darkness.....that will be cellared for at least a year.

You have had a Dakness already, right? It is different. It is getting closer to that time of year year again. The Darkness queue is the annual meeting for our ice house......much talk of communism and Ayn Rand. We get a lot of people to turn their heads.

HowardRoark
09-03-2010, 06:50 PM
What’s Happening?

June 29th, 2010

8/28 – Amphetamine Records 25th Anniversary Bash – Grumpy’s Downtown

9/18 – Surlyfest at Surly Brewing Company

10/2 – Autumn Brew Review – NE Mpls

10/23 – Darkness Day at Surly Brewing Company