PDA

View Full Version : Cory Rodgers sentenced to 15 months probation

motife
07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/14960939.htm
Former TCU player sentenced in firearms caseBy MELODY McDONALD and TRACI SHURLEY
Star-Telegram Staff Writers

Star-Telegram / Jill Johnson
Cory RodgersFORT WORTH - A former TCU football player who was drafted this year by the Green Bay Packers was sentenced to 15 months’ probation Monday for unlawfully carrying a firearm - a charge stemming from allegations that he fired two shots into the air outside a Stockyards bar in May.

Dacor “CoryÃ¢à ‚¬Â Rodgers, 23, reached an agreement with prosecutors Monday in which he pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor gun-possession charge and received 15 months’ deferred adjudication probation. He was also ordered to pay a $500 fine.

Deferred adjudication probation means that if Rodgers successfully completes his probation, the case will be dismissed and a conviction will not appear on his record.

As part of the deal, prosecutors agreed not to pursue a misdemeanor charge of firing a weapon. Rodgers will also not be required to report regularly to a probation officer, since he will be traveling with the Packers if he makes the team.

In exchange for that accommodation, prosecutors said, Rodgers must return to Fort Worth after the football season and perform 80 hours of community service with at-risk youths.

“He needed to be able to go ahead and do his job, which means traveling around the country with the Green Bay Packers,” said prosecutor Kurt Stallings, chief of the pre-trial services division of the Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

Rodgers was arrested May 26 after police said he fired two shots into the air at 2 a.m. in a parking lot outside the Stone Canyon Club, 114 W. Exchange Ave., after a brawl broke out inside the club.

Police said the melee involved as many as 60 people, some of whom were swinging pool cues and beer bottles. Police have said that while about 20 officers were working to restore order, they heard two shots fired from Rodgers’ gray Chevrolet Impala.

Rodgers, who was in the back seat with a .40-caliber automatic handgun, was arrested on suspicion of gun offenses. Two TCU players in the car, safety Eric Buchanan and wide receiver Quentily Harmon, were arrested on suspicion of public intoxication, a misdemeanor.

Rodgers’ attorney, Jeff Kearney, said that Rodgers was not involved in the fight in the club and that he fired the gun into the air to scare off a group of men who had surrounded him while he was waiting for his friends to bring the car keys.

“I think our investigation and the DA’s investigation both indicated that, when he discharged the firearm, he didn’t fire at or in the direction of anyone,” Kearney said. “He simply fired into the air to end a situation that was somewhat tense and to disperse the crowd - and it worked.”

Stallings said the way things happened played a role in how prosecutors decided to deal with the case.

“There is evidence to indicate that he was just defending himself,” Stallings said.

Stallings said that Kearney contacted prosecutors soon after Rodgers’ arrest and that both have been cooperative.

“This is actually a standard plea for a first-time offense,” Stallings said.

http://www.dfw.com/images/dfw/dfw/14960/223815691320.jpg

MadtownPacker
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
“He needed to be able to go ahead and do his job, which means traveling around the country with the Green Bay Packers,”

Let the star treatment begin!!

Really though, I have never heard a prosecutor try to spin things that hard for any of the homeboys. CRodgers better play big if he expects to be living big.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Carrying the gun was a no brainer bad ass move. Who does he think he is? Someone really important.

He screwed up, got nailed and now a slap on the wrist first time offence sentence. He got off pretty lucky considering it was a gun offence. It's now time to buckle into living right and getting it on as a Packer concertrating 100% on the Packers needs for him.

We need a decent punt return man. Cory Rodgers has to learn to get a handle on the ball because fumbling and a turnover inside OUR 30 yard line isn't the trick we need from him. At least Antonio Chatman was sure handed, certainly reliable in that department.

Catch the ball, before you run with the ball, Cory.

oregonpackfan
07-04-2006, 11:15 AM
If the Packers had drafted receiver Mike Hass of Oregon State instead of Cory Rodgers, they would not have this character issure problem.

Not only did Hass receive the Biletnikoff Awared for the best receiver in college ball, he is a young man of impeccable character, both on and off the field. He also received his diploma in civil engineering in just 4 years at OSU. Hass did not have a redshirt year.

The New Orleans Saints selected Hass in the 5th round. He will surpise may naysayers who claim Hass does not have the "measurables" to succeed in the NFL.

Oregonpackfan

BallHawk
07-04-2006, 12:40 PM
If the Packers had drafted receiver Mike Hass of Oregon State instead of Cory Rodgers, they would not have this character issure problem.

Not only did Hass receive the Biletnikoff Awared for the best receiver in college ball, he is a young man of impeccable character, both on and off the field. He also received his diploma in civil engineering in just 4 years at OSU. Hass did not have a redshirt year.

The New Orleans Saints selected Hass in the 5th round. He will surpise may naysayers who claim Hass does not have the "measurables" to succeed in the NFL.

Oregonpackfan

Yeah, I was screaming at my TV to pick him. Almost like a Jerry Rice type of story. Not saying he is like Jerry Rice, because all chances are he won't be, but how nobody thought he could succeed is kind of alike. Who knows, maybe he'll just turn out to be nothing. But I would be happier with Hass than Rodgers. In the end, Jennings will probably end up being our KR.

SorrowofMaybelle
07-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Like TO and Moss, Rogers has a character issue, and therefore, he is not a Packer player. I wonder why TT drafted this thug. :wink:

4and12to12and4
07-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, let's give this guy a little breathing room. Brett Favre had his share of troubles when he first came into the league. I mean, he partied so hard one night he missed the team photo the next day for the Falcons. Then, his first pass was an interception. He went 0 for 5 with two pics his first year with Atlanta. So, Cory can learn from his mistake, and be a great returner for us. Let's hope the coaching staff can figure out his fumblitis issues in TC.

GrnBay007
07-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Let's wait and see what happens after the season starts. Maybe this was just an unfortunate event that he will learn a lesson from.

FavreChild
07-04-2006, 02:51 PM
C Rodg was the most fan-friendly guy I saw at OTAs. I call BS on the claim that he's not a "Packer person" just from this incident.

The NFL - and particularly the Green Bay franchise - has provided many young men with the opportunity to turn their lives around (see: B. Favre, D. Driver as two recent examples).

So let's all be "Packer People" ourselves by welcoming Cory with open arms and giving him a chance. :D

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 02:57 PM
C Rodg was the most fan-friendly guy I saw at OTAs. I call BS on the claim that he's not a "Packer person" just from this incident.

The NFL - and particularly the Green Bay franchise - has provided many young men with the opportunity to turn their lives around (see: B. Favre, D. Driver as two recent examples).

So let's all be "Packer People" ourselves by welcoming Cory with open arms and giving him a chance. :D

I agree with you.He screwed up and has a small price to pay.It could have been worse. Maybe that was just an isolated incident and he'll come through.He certainly doesn't need more pressure than he'll already get from the coaching staff to be a Packer.

SorrowofMaybelle
07-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I don't see TO firing a gun, do you? Amazing how TT would chose some one who fires a gun in a parking lot full of people (Rogers) over one who merely speaks his mind (Owens).

Patler
07-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't see TO firing a gun, do you? Amazing how TT would chose some one who fires a gun in a parking lot full of people (Rogers) over one who merely speaks his mind (Owens).

Well, Rogers didn't actually shoot AT anyone. Dumb on his part? ABSOLUTELY. However, the simple fact is that there is no evidence that Rogers will be a disruptive influence on the team. There is ample evidence that it is almost certain that Owens WILL be a disruptive influence wherever he is.

SorrowofMaybelle
07-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Well, Rogers didn't actually shoot AT anyone. Dumb on his part? ABSOLUTELY. However, the simple fact is that there is no evidence that Rogers will be a disruptive influence on the team. There is ample evidence that it is almost certain that Owens WILL be a disruptive influence wherever he is.

This is no evidence showing that Rogers will become a star in the NFL. There is ample evidence showing Owens as a top-notch talent.

Patler
07-04-2006, 03:52 PM
This is no evidence showing that Rogers will become a star in the NFL. There is ample evidence showing Owens as a top-notch talent.

I never suggested Rogers can replace Owens. However, I do not yet worry about Roger's presence on the team. If Owens were here I would simply be waiting for the first team divisive shenanigan he would pull, and would expect it to happen very soon.

Owens is a great talent, but he certainly is not a good character on the team. He divides teams, staffs and fans. In my opinion, what he brings in talent does not outweight the detriment he causes, and he appears to be getting worse. He was a total disruption his last few years in SF. He didn't even last a year in Philly before alienating McNabb and other teammates.

packerpete
07-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Read the article at the top of this thread.

The Judge said that his action (firing the gun) probably stopped a pretty bad looking situation. He was in a car, surrounded by bad dudes and there were no keys in the vehicle.

He did nothing dumb except for not registering the weapon. His actions were actually very smart, he did not endanger anyone, and he averted what could have been a real ugly situation.

There are NO laws banning guns in this country. Please place your liberal agenda aside when evaluating the Packer issues, they are apolitical.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
some people have suggested that Rodgers must be a gang member because he carried a gun.

I don't know.... I dont' think it is that big of a deal.

Patler
07-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Read the article at the top of this thread.

The Judge said that his action (firing the gun) probably stopped a pretty bad looking situation. He was in a car, surrounded by bad dudes and there were no keys in the vehicle.

He did nothing dumb except for not registering the weapon. His actions were actually very smart, he did not endanger anyone, and he averted what could have been a real ugly situation.

There are NO laws banning guns in this country. Please place your liberal agenda aside when evaluating the Packer issues, they are apolitical.

Not sure if you meant to direct that comment to me or not, but since you did quote my comment, I'll respond.

I never suggested that Rogers having a gun was illegal or even wrong. The mere possesion and legitimate use of guns doesn't bother me in the least. I've used rifles often myself, and competed in a marksmanship league as a youth. We traveled and competed against other NRA sponsored organizations. That being said, I'm sorry if you disagree, but discharging a weapon in city limits is DUMB, even shooting in to air. What goes up, must come down! There is a reason that it is illegal. It is very dangerous.

There has been absolutely no indication that he was in any imminent danger of harm. Yes, apparently there was a crowd, and yes, apparently he was scared. There were also lots of cops on site. He was in a car, which presumably could be locked. I think he simply over-reacted!

Liberal agenda? My friends will chuckle at that one.

CaliforniaCheez
07-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Carrying the gun was a no brainer bad ass move. Who does he think he is? Someone really important.

He screwed up, got nailed and now a slap on the wrist first time offence sentence. He got off pretty lucky considering it was a gun offence.

The guy was just attempting to get his attackers to back off so he and his friends could escape. Would you be happier if he was hurt by the gang members?

Unlike Canada, woodbuck, the free men of the United States have the Bill of Rights guarantee to carry firearms. That was clearly violated here.

Continued surrender of rights to the "gubament" will have Americans cowering to the PC tyranny like Canadians who can't even show guns in their armed forces recruiting commercials.

Do Canadians still bow to the Queen of England and print her picture on their currency?

It's the 4th of July. Remember freedom is not free.