PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Home playoff game not sold out?

chain_gang
12-29-2008, 11:59 AM
From Profootballtalk.com

BLACKOUT COMING FOR THE TWIN CITIES?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2008, 12:49 p.m.

The Minnesota Vikings have announced that 20,000 seats remain for Sunday’s playoff game at the Metrodome between the home team and the Eagles.

Given the manner in which the Vikings limped to the finish line, nearly losing back-to-back home games to end the regular season, we wouldn’t be surprised if the tickets don’t sell — absent the purchase of excess seats by the local FOX affiliate that will broadcast the game, if it isn’t blacked out.

Some of the seats could be bought by Eagles fans; the FOX affiliate in Philly is helping to reduce the price tag for the unsold seats by getting the word out regarding the availability of tickets — and the price of hotel rooms and plane fare.

It could be hard for the other three franchises hosting wild-card games to sell tickets as well. As pointed out in our Week Seventeen Ten-Pack for SportingNews.com, all of the home teams will be underdogs this weekend.

I find this very embarrassing to the Vikings organization, and fans. Your team gets a home playoff game and you still have 20,000 tickets available. I'm sure it'll end up being sold out, but still....

LP
12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
It's Vikings football. What do you expect?

Lurker64
12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Think about it this way. Suppose you're a casual Vikings fan (as opposed to the face painting helga-horns wearing variety). Which sounds better:

1) Driving to the Metrodome, paying a lot for parking, paying a lot for your ticket, and watching a football game in the Metrodome that you don't have tremendous confidence in the outcome of anyway.

2) Staying at home, where it's warm, watching the game on the television with reasonably priced concessions as well as friends and families.

Now I'm sure there are true fans who will advocate for the former, but the dome isn't exactly an exciting venue in which to watch a football game. It's very loud, but it's ugly, cramped, and doesn't have great atmosphere other than the noise.

Guiness
12-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Think about it this way. Suppose you're a casual Vikings fan (as opposed to the face painting helga-horns wearing variety). Which sounds better:

1) Driving to the Metrodome, paying a lot for parking, paying a lot for your ticket, and watching a football game in the Metrodome that you don't have tremendous confidence in the outcome of anyway.

2) Staying at home, where it's warm, watching the game on the television with reasonably priced concessions as well as friends and families.

Now I'm sure there are true fans who will advocate for the former, but the dome isn't exactly an exciting venue in which to watch a football game. It's very loud, but it's ugly, cramped, and doesn't have great atmosphere other than the noise.

I know what you're saying Lurker, and it's the age old argument. But you have to know that if you take it to its logical conclusion, then no one would go to a game at all.

Yes, NFL games are ridiculously expensive for what you get, but people spend their money on it if they like it. And the stadium doesn't much matter either. Thinking that building a new stadium will fix what ails a team is wishful thinking - it might help for about 2 yrs, but is a band-aid, not a fix.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
It's Monday. They didn't know for sure if they would be in the playoffs when the games were going to be played.

This would be a story come Thursday but it's way too early. I think they sell out without the FOX help.

red
12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
pft is saying this morning that 45% of season ticket holders past on the option to buy playoff tickets

thats not a good sign for the queens. and might be a final nail in a move to LA

Rastak
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
pft is saying this morning that 45% of season ticket holders past on the option to buy playoff tickets

I think San Diego has dibbs.

My wife was solidly against my buying tickets. Christmas drained the wallet, our new health insurance plan sucks as my company tries to offset a shitty economic climate.

This is not a great time to be peddling tickets. That having been said, I did get mine.

denverYooper
12-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Too bad they can't have more fans like Rastak, a Vikings fan with the allegiance and heart of a Packers fan :).

prsnfoto
12-30-2008, 09:50 AM
There were between 5-10 thousand no shows at Lambeau Sunday and for a team with such a rich tradition compared to one without I find that equally disappointing.

Congrats to Rastak at least your team is in the playoffs.

]{ilr]3
12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Between 5-10 thousand? That’s a pretty wide margin isn’t it? 5 maybe hard to start judging but if there were 10,000 seats empty it would have been obvious.

Just watching on the TV it appears to me to be a pretty filled out stadium and the announcers were marveling at the fact that it was so full for a late December game when the home team was way out of play off contention and the only thing interesting about the game was the visiting team could be the first to go 0-16 for a season.

I don’t see anything disappointing about that!

red
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
it sure didn't look like it was empty from inside the place

maybe one person per row was not there, allowing everyone else to spread out a bit

but there was no way it was 10% empty

and they announced the attendence at just over 70,000, like 70,035 or something like that. and that would be counting the tickets that pass through the gate, not ticket sales, i believe. which would be about 3,000 below capacity

SMACKTALKIE
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I just bought 6 tickets, go Vikings!!

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

The Vikings announced they have about 11,000 tickets left for Sunday’s first-round playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles at the Metrodome. Under NFL rules those tickets need to be sold by 3:30 p.m. Thursday to avoid a blackout of the game, which is scheduled to be aired locally on KMSP (Ch. 9). However, Steve LaCroix, the Vikings vice president of sales and marketing and chief operating officer, said the team already has asked the NFL for a 24-hour extension until 3:30 p.m. Friday.

The request for an extension is usually made the day of the deadline but with Thursday being New Year’s the Vikings decided to be proactive with the league. The Vikings have not heard yet whether the extension will be granted but that likely will be the case.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2361

They will get the extension but I guess I was wrong that Fox wouldn't have to buy any tickets. Question is how many will they have to buy. From what I've heard is that the magic number is around 3000 for them. If it's less than that, the FOX station will buy them, but more than that and it's dicey if they will.

Lurker64
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Minnesota isn't the only home playoff team struggling to sell tickets; as I understand it they're facing a blackout in Arizona as well. I wonder if this is just a sign of the flagging economy, and people not willing to pay inflated NFL playoff ticket prices when the game is broadcast for free (probably), or if it's a function of the lack of confidence the people of Minnesota and Arizona have of advancing.

But it's been a while since either the Vikings or the Cards were in the playoffs, you'd think that the fans of either team would be excited about this.

cpk1994
12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
I think the balckout rules is stupid for the playoffs. Regular season I can understand, but this is NFL greed at its worst.

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Minnesota isn't the only home playoff team struggling to sell tickets; as I understand it they're facing a blackout in Arizona as well.
The Cards got an extension and announced already that the last 1100 tickets were sold today. They have a sellout.

Cheesehead Craig
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Down to 8,000 tickets left :

Steve LaCroix, the Vikings vice president of sales and marketing, said that 8,000 tickets remain for Sunday’s playoff game against the Eagles. That figure is down from 11,000 on Wednesday.

The Vikings have until 3:30 p.m. Friday to sell the remaining tickets to avoid a blackout.

LaCroix said sales were a little sluggish last night and this morning but have picked up a little this afternoon. He said he is “cautiously optimistic” that they will get it done but the Vikings are moving closer to their first blackout since 1997.

LaCroix said many of the remaining tickets are prime seats, ranging from $80 to $160. LaCroix said the ticket office is working “24/7″ and the team is making a lot of calls to season ticket holders who did not buy playoff tickets.

LaCroix said Vikings officials are talking to various companies in addition to Fox about providing some assistance as a corporate sponsor, but the response hasn’t been favorable.

“No one is coming in to save the day at this point,” he said.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2369

Cheesehead Craig
01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Minnesota isn't the only home playoff team struggling to sell tickets; as I understand it they're facing a blackout in Arizona as well.
The Cards got an extension and announced already that the last 1100 tickets were sold today. They have a sellout.
Wierd, I read then that the game was a sellout, but apparently they have over 3500 left to sell still and got a 2nd 24 hr extension.

Partial
01-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't get how they cannot sell out. It's a big city, good team, etc. What's the problem?

Lurker64
01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm in the Twin Cities over the weekend, I'm hoping that some Eagles fans or something buy tickets, so I can watch the game.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't get how they cannot sell out. It's a big city, good team, etc. What's the problem?
There is just a general feeling that the Vikes will disappoint. Now before the Viking rats here get all hot and bothered, this is what I'm hearing from the fans and the media. NBC sports director Randy Shaver has said it multiple times. Given that 55% of the season tix holders declined to buy playoff tix, that gives a whole lot of credence that that argument.

People can bring up the whole economy being bad, but this has been a chronic problem for the Vikings to get sellouts for years. So it's not the current state of the economy is not the primary factor. It's the general feeling about the team.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 09:31 AM
This is really weird for me. Your team is in the playoffs but you don't think they can win so you don't go?

And beyond that, we're not talking about the Queens going up against the Giants or some uber-team. They're playing the Eagles at home, for gosh sakes.

Buy some more tickets, Ras!

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
People can bring up the whole economy being bad, but this has been a chronic problem for the Vikings to get sellouts for years.

What do you mean? They've soldout every game since 1997.
:D

Of course, they seem to need the TV station to buy tickets for a few games every year. Making people buy another game ticket to go along with their Packer game tickets hasn't ended the problem.

The Vikings are actually the most popular team in town, but just think about what this franchise has put its fans through over the years, and it's somewhat understandable.

I will say that a lot of the Viking fans that I know act like they barely follow the Vikings when they aren't doing well. Then, when the team is doing well, they are right there to smack talk me--even though I don't say anything when the shoe is on the other foot. It's a small sample size though. There is a pretty big bandwagon factor in this area.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
The Vikings are actually the most popular team in town
I'd argue the Wild are.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I'd argue the Wild are.

I've been here for 20 years, and I don't think it's close. The Vikings. I think the Wild are third--behind the Twins. The problem is that Minnesota sports fans have come to expect the Vikings to let them down, so they have a hard time believing the team won't let them down again.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5814906/6561726

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd argue the Wild are.

I've been here for 20 years, and I don't think it's close. The Vikings. I think the Wild are third--behind the Twins. The problem is that Minnesota sports fans have come to expect the Vikings to let them down, so they have a hard time believing the team won't let them down again.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5814906/6561726

I've been here for a while too. When the Stars left there was public weeping, gnashing of teeth and cloth rendering happening in the streets. St. Paul went way out of their way to get a new hockey team and they have been the hottest ticket in town. There's nothing even close to that kind of support for the Vikes or Twins.

But we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been here for a while too. When the Stars left there was public weeping, gnashing of teeth and cloth rendering happening in the streets.

There were also tons of empty seats. I didn't see that much weeping over the Stars leaving. If the Vikings ever left town, I think we might just have to shut down the doors here.

Even before Norm Green bought the team, the Stars did all they could to get fans to the rink, and they only averaged 11,000 fans/game. Here's a good youtube clip that shows the problem. It didn't get any better--even after the North Stars made the Stanley Cup Finals. They still had severe attendance problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hl_Y2Q-y6g

While the late 1980s saw the franchise draft what would turn out to be their greatest player – forward Mike Modano – chronic attendance problems spurred the owners to threaten to move the club to the San Francisco Bay Area, against the league's wishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_North_Stars

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
BTW, the North Stars goalie at the time, Jon Casey, led UND to the 1982 NCAA title. Ed Belfour backstopped them to their 1987 title.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
From an article posted in 1990. Laughing at Norm Green promising there would be better times ahead.

Minnesotans' affection for the pro game have so melted that opening night of the 1990-91 season drew only 5,730 fans to the 15,093-seat Metropolitan Sports Center? As if to prove that the attendance figure isn't a misprint, the second and third games at the Met Center drew 5,970 and 5,280, respectively. The fourth game brought out 9,129 to see Norris Division rival Chicago. It also brought a brave declaration from Norman Green, the North Stars' new owner, of better times ahead. "I'm certain that within a year we'll turn this thing around and within two years we'll be sold out," he said before the game.

Minnesota played dismally that night and lost 4-1, yet the fans hardly bothered to boo. At this point in their seven-year attendance slide, the North Stars would prefer anger to apathy. The 11,354 average attendance last season, inflated by an estimated 3,000 discounted and free tickets, was almost 4,000 less than the league average.

They ended up averaging just 7,838 fans/game in 1991--no other team finished below 10,000. Even after the Stanley Cup Finals appearance in 1991, only 5 teams averaged fewer fans in 1991-92 and only 7 teams averaged fewer fans in 1992-93.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Don't bother me with facts Harvey! That's Patlers job! :lol:

digitaldean
01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Saw on PFT that Jared Allen was flat-out BEGGING Viking fans to buy tickets.

With the current financial situation, I couldn't see the state gov't. helping Wilf finance a new Vikings Stadium.

Dare we say the LA Vikings (or some new name) will be coming in the near future??

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 03:51 PM
The Vikes are down to 3100 tix and have until 3:30 tomorrow to sell them. If they just sell 1000 more, I'm sure the FOX station will buy the rest for the sellout.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2376

I think Zigi is nuts in asking for 600M from the state. He doesn't have a chance in hell of getting any financing this session, IMO.

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 04:28 PM

With the current financial situation, I couldn't see the state gov't. helping Wilf finance a new Vikings Stadium.

Dare we say the LA Vikings (or some new name) will be coming in the near future??After funding Twins and Gophers stadiums, I don't see the state gov't helping Wilf regardless of the economic situation.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Dare we say the LA Vikings (or some new name) will be coming in the near future??After funding Twins and Gophers stadiums, I don't see the state gov't helping Wilf regardless of the economic situation.
The Gophers stadium was a 50/50 split with the state I believe. Plus given they cannot move anywhere it's a solid investment for the state.

The Twins got a partner with Hennepin County as Gov Pawlenty stated that the state will not help out professional sports teams.

Wilf had a deal going with Anoka County but then left them to try and get in on the Twins financing and the Twins and Hennepin County told them to get lost and then Anoka pulled the financing plug as well after that stunt.

Wilf's only option, IMO is having the Metrodome redone. It will be far cheaper and worst case scenario he can use the Gophers stadium for a season to get the Dome done. Given the lower cost, he may actually get some help from the state if he guarantees the team will not move for another 30 years.

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM

The Gophers stadium was a 50/50 split with the state I believe. Plus given they cannot move anywhere it's a solid investment for the state.

The Twins got a partner with Hennepin County as Gov Pawlenty stated that the state will not help out professional sports teams.

Wilf had a deal going with Anoka County but then left them to try and get in on the Twins financing and the Twins and Hennepin County told them to get lost and then Anoka pulled the financing plug as well after that stunt.

Wilf's only option, IMO is having the Metrodome redone. It will be far cheaper and worst case scenario he can use the Gophers stadium for a season to get the Dome done. Given the lower cost, he may actually get some help from the state if he guarantees the team will not move for another 30 years.The Metrodome needs a ton of work. That place is a shithole.

mngolf19
01-03-2009, 07:55 AM
There is just a general feeling that the Vikes will disappoint. Now before the Viking rats here get all hot and bothered, this is what I'm hearing from the fans and the media. NBC sports director Randy Shaver has said it multiple times. Given that 55% of the season tix holders declined to buy playoff tix, that gives a whole lot of credence that that argument.

People can bring up the whole economy being bad, but this has been a chronic problem for the Vikings to get sellouts for years. So it's not the current state of the economy is not the primary factor. It's the general feeling about the team.

Viking Rat here in total agreement with the above. Although I will say that Minnesotans are also frugal/cheap with money. There is good and bad to that and in the case of trying to pry money during Christmas season and bad economy, good luck. I am native Minnesotan so I can say that from my experience. Harv is right as well that the Wild just haven't had the chance to disappoint the population yet like the Vikes.

swede
01-03-2009, 09:34 AM
What if ticket purchasers get to cast one additional vote for Al Franken or Norm Coleman?

Fosco33
01-03-2009, 10:15 AM
No way they'll have a blackout. At the very least, they could have Allen (who's on the Vikes homepage begging for people to buy seats) buy the remaining block of tickets (it'd cost like $150K). Don't these players make a bunch more for winning division or hosting playoff games or something - to buy the tixs, give them to charity and 'play for free' would seem to be a big statement and something to rally around for the playoff run....

Nah

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I wonder if people have gotten used to the TV station buying out the remaining tickets, and the people get them for dirt cheap from the scalpers.

Rastak
01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Sold out without corporate help...as reported by PFT.com they did have a special promotion.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/chillydunk.JPG

channtheman
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I guess we can all see why the Vikes had trouble selling out now, eh? :lol: :lol:

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I guess we can all see why the Vikes had trouble selling out now, eh? :lol: :lol:

Well, in their defense the Vikings fans made that a very unfriendly stadium for the road team. Plus, if the Vikings had any of the top 16 QBs in the league, they probably would have won the game.

But yeah, you could have seen that one coming.

steve823
01-04-2009, 11:45 PM
I hate domes..I mean I think domes are for wimps. Honestly football is meant to be played in all weather and it wouldve been great to see them play in the 2 degree weather. O well.

GrnBay007
01-05-2009, 12:05 AM
I hate domes..I mean I think domes are for wimps. Honestly football is meant to be played in all weather and it wouldve been great to see them play in the 2 degree weather. O well.

-14 wind chill too. Brrrrrrrr

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 12:51 AM
-14 wind chill too. Brrrrrrrr

That's playoff football right there. And you call yourself a Packers fan.