PDA

View Full Version : TE Tory Humphrey

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Humphrey heads to Packers camp a man of the world

Monday, July 03, 2006

The National Football League became Tory Humphrey's ticket out of town and out of the country.

Literally.

The Green Bay Packers sent the former Saginaw High School and Central Michigan University standout to NFL Europe for 10 weeks this summer, and Humphrey took advantage of it.

Humphrey, a tight end, played for the Amsterdam Admirals, who lost in the World Bowl to the Frankfurt Galaxy, 22-7.

Humphrey started for Amsterdam, but did not catch a pass in the World Bowl. He caught 12 passes during the season.

"It was my first time in Europe," Humphrey said. "I didn't want to go at first, because I expected I would be homesick, and I was.

"But if a team asks you to go, it's probably a good idea to go. They want to see what you can do. You almost have to go."

Humphrey is glad he did. He got plenty of playing time and he was able to take his wife, Ebony, to Amsterdam.

"The shops are pretty nice," Humphrey said. "But the food wasn't. They try to make it taste like it does here. They have McDonald's and Pizza Hut and all those, but it doesn't taste the same. It's pretty hard to eat it. I just tried to stay with something safe, like chicken."

Humphrey, 23, was not drafted out of college, but was signed by the Indianapolis Colts. After suffering a hamstring in-jury, he was released prior to training camp and the Packers picked him up.

He was put on the practice squad for the season, but was activated for the final game.

"I got a few snaps," Humphrey said. "I was open on one pass, but they didn't pass it to me."

Humphrey, who lives in Okemos, hopes that changes this season. With a successful NFL Europe season under his belt, he feels more comfortable heading into the Packers training camp, which begins Friday, July 28.