PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jennings wants to be a Packer past 2009

Brando19
12-29-2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Greg Jennings wants to remain with the Green Bay Packers.

The third-year receiver made that perfectly clear Monday morning during the players’ final locker room session with the media for the 2008 season.

Players cleaned out their lockers, went through exit interviews with coaches and departed following the Packers’ disappointing 6-10 season.

Jennings, who led the Packers in receiving yards (1,292), catches (80) and touchdowns (9), becomes an unrestricted free agent following the 2009 season, and there has been speculation he might hit the open market.

"It's not really all about the money," said Jennings. "I'm more concerned about my family and where their comfort level is. We're comfortable here. We like it here. It's close to home for me. It's actually the perfect situation for me and my family. We don't want to leave at all. Hopefully we'd love to get something done, either here now or next year, it doesn't matter. The sooner the better actually."

Brando19
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/36834254.html

Here's another link. Jennings is 99.9% sure he won't hold out.

Partial
12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Good. He is young, talented, and wants to be here. Now lock him up TT. Give him something slightly richer than Lee Evans got, and he'll be happy I'd guess.

RashanGary
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
This is great. These are the type of guys we want. Winning is about not overspending and getting guys to play for good fair deals a little early instead of going to UFA where the price to keep a guy is insane. Player gets security and a winning team if the GM is proactive enough in resigning several guys early and the team gets to win.

Ted needs to show very good faith and not try to push it. Jennings deserves a big damn contract. I don't know Evans deal, but it has to be higher than both he and Barrian.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
The man will still want to get paid, so hopefully we don't low ball him too much.

Partial
12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
The problem with contracts is several contracts are older and thus worth less money.

He's probably about the 10th best receiver in the league in my opinion. I'd try and find someone who is slightly better than him and signed last year and do a similiar contract to that.

RashanGary
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
6 years, 50 with a bunch up front.

Bossman641
12-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Great to hear. GJ is my favorite player and a class act.

Bretsky
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
6 years, 50 with a bunch up front.

IMO he'll get more

gbgary
12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
"it's not all about the money"...what a refreshing thing to hear. great news!! so now let's hope tt doesn't low-ball him and piss him off.

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

denverYooper
12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
"it's not all about the money"...what a refreshing thing to hear. great news!! so now let's hope tt doesn't low-ball him and piss him off.

I think GJ will get treated well.

Pugger
12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Jennings will be happy. His body of work is lot more productive than Grant's and look how much Ryan got? 8-)

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Thompson has rarely low-balled one of his own players that he wants to keep.

Gunakor
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Jennings will be happy. His body of work is lot more productive than Grant's and look how much Ryan got? 8-)

Ryan Grant has to stay productive to earn that money though. Remember, it is an incentive based contract.

But comparing their body of work, Grant has had one 1000 yard rushing season and Jennings has had one 1000 yard receiving season. Jennings has been around a year longer and played in more games, but their contributions have been similar IMO. I'd expect Jennings to be offered a contract slightly richer than Grants in terms of base and guarantees (because of an extra year of service to the club), but it will be similar I think in terms of earnable incentives. I think that's the smart way to do it, as it both protects the team AND gives motivation to the player to do well.

arcilite
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't think we will see an extension soon.

If I was TT I would first try to sign our FAs, then hit the market and sign other FAs if it is a good fit.

Then we need to sign our draft picks.

Then work on extensions.

sharpe1027
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Ryan Grant has to stay productive to earn that money though. Remember, it is an incentive based contract.

But comparing their body of work, Grant has had one 1000 yard rushing season and Jennings has had one 1000 yard receiving season. Jennings has been around a year longer and played in more games, but their contributions have been similar IMO. I'd expect Jennings to be offered a contract slightly richer than Grants in terms of base and guarantees (because of an extra year of service to the club), but it will be similar I think in terms of earnable incentives. I think that's the smart way to do it, as it both protects the team AND gives motivation to the player to do well.

The biggest difference is that Jennings will be a FA in one year. Grant had less leverage because he had multiple years before he could hit Free Agency.

IMO, Grant didn't get anything close what he would have gotten on the open market, but Jennings probably will. I expect Jennings contract to be front-loaded with roster bonuses, but much less in incentives.

gex
01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Greg Jennings wants to remain with the Green Bay Packers.

The third-year receiver made that perfectly clear Monday morning during the players’ final locker room session with the media for the 2008 season.

Players cleaned out their lockers, went through exit interviews with coaches and departed following the Packers’ disappointing 6-10 season.

Jennings, who led the Packers in receiving yards (1,292), catches (80) and touchdowns (9), becomes an unrestricted free agent following the 2009 season, and there has been speculation he might hit the open market.

"It's not really all about the money," said Jennings. "I'm more concerned about my family and where their comfort level is. We're comfortable here. We like it here. It's close to home for me. It's actually the perfect situation for me and my family. We don't want to leave at all. Hopefully we'd love to get something done, either here now or next year, it doesn't matter. The sooner the better actually."

Thats nice to hear that players(at least family oriented players) enjoy it around GB, there really is alot to offer if you can handle the cold and enjoy the outdoors.

Partial
01-02-2009, 12:06 AM

Thompson has rarely low-balled one of his own players that he wants to keep.

Not enough evidence to say this yet. I personally thought Kamp's deal was a steal, but he accepted it so I guess we can't really call that low balling.

He has taken care of guys by extending them if they've asked for it and were underpaid to his credit.