PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packer season - ESPN - Graded

packers11
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=nfc%20team%20evaluations

It was reasonable to expect some drop-off following the departure of quarterback Brett Favre, but few could have predicted a second-half collapse that would leave the Packers with a 6-10 record. The defense fell into an injury-induced tailspin, and while quarterback Aaron Rodgers produced solid statistics, he didn't take over in the fourth quarter of close games as Favre often did. This team had far too much talent to finish with a losing record. Grade: D

Biggest surprise: Tramon Williams stepped from obscurity into a substantial role as a part-time starting cornerback. He ranked third on the team with five interceptions while displaying solid coverage skills and undeniable big-play ability. Williams excited enough people that it seems possible the Packers will move veteran cornerback Al Harris during the offseason and install Williams as a full-time starter alongside Charles Woodson.

Biggest disappointment: Safety Atari Bigby seemed on the verge of big things at the end of last season, but he was never healthy in 2008. He managed only 21 tackles and one interception in seven games before being placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury. The ripple effect of his injuries were notable throughout the defense. Backup Aaron Rouse struggled, and eventually the Packers were forced to use Woodson at safety for three games. Bigby is a tremendous athlete with big-time hitting ability but, like the Packers, had a very unlucky year.

Biggest need: It's a toss-up between offensive tackle and defensive line, but the need for defensive help seems more immediate. The Packers played most of the year with three healthy defensive tackles and they would be taking a huge risk if they count on former first-round pick Justin Harrell for anything next season. The Packers need to improve not only their interior run defense but also on the edge in passing situations. The losses of Cullen Jenkins (injury) and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (ineffectiveness) left Aaron Kampman all alone in disrupting opponents' passing attacks.

Second guessing: The decision to part ways with Favre was defensible. Allowing the divorce to extend well into training camp was not. Because they didn't believe Favre really wanted to play for another team, the Packers decided to hold tight and assumed he would eventually go away. When Favre refused, the Packers were left with a monstrous distraction at a crucial time of team-building. No matter what anyone said at the time, the drama disrupted the team and played a role in the general confusion and miscommunication that has plagued the team all season.

denverYooper
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Based on their 6-10 record, a D sounds right. Based on some other metrics, such as point differential and giveaways/takeaways, I'd be tempted to raise that to a C-.

On a side note, I read that NFC North blog on occasion and find Seifert's thinly-veiled Vikings homerism grating at times. His writing is like some trendy nightclub frou-frou drink -- it might be fun to sip out of on occasion, and it'll get you a buzz, but it's usually infused with some purple shit that makes your head hurt after only a few.

Sparkey
12-29-2008, 04:37 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=nfc%20team%20evaluations

Second guessing: The decision to part ways with Favre was defensible. Allowing the divorce to extend well into training camp was not. Because they didn't believe Favre really wanted to play for another team, the Packers decided to hold tight and assumed he would eventually go away. When Favre refused, the Packers were left with a monstrous distraction at a crucial time of team-building. No matter what anyone said at the time, the drama disrupted the team and played a role in the general confusion and miscommunication that has plagued the team all season.

Yeah sure. The distraction in camp caused the offensive linemen to false start or the players to not have gap discipline on defense all season long. LOL :lol:

Rastak
12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Based on their 6-10 record, a D sounds right. Based on some other metrics, such as point differential and giveaways/takeaways, I'd be tempted to raise that to a C-.

On a side note, I read that NFC North blog on occasion and find Seifert's thinly-veiled Vikings homerism grating at times. His writing is like some trendy nightclub frou-frou drink -- it might be fun to sip out of on occasion, and it'll get you a buzz, but it's usually infused with some purple shit that makes your head hurt after only a few.

LOL, when he wrote for the Strib he did nothing but rip them (the Vikings) and he picked the Packers most of the year to win the division. He said numerous times the Packers were the better team. I thought he was full of shit alot when he wrote for the red star and I still think he is.

Fosco33
12-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Lots of disappointments - but I don't think Bigby is the biggest.

And yes, Tramon was a surprise to the media - but it was well known in packerland that he's got talent. I think it's a stretch to say his coverage skills are good/great and that he'd replace Harris just yet.

If you look back, the Packers D really struggled when CWood was at safety (and Tramon at corner).

It's easy to question the Packers move with Favre - but in retrospect, besides getting it done earlier (July) - what else could they do if they decided to move on??

I'm generous today so I'll say a C+. The sheer number of close losses is not indicative of their play on the field (should've been 9-7).

Guiness
12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
He shows his lack of knowledge by saying Tramon came out of obscurity.

Many here who pay attention were calling for that, and even if he played well enough to raise eyebrows, it was by no means an 'out of nowhere' story.

LL2
12-29-2008, 05:01 PM
This Packers team is really not a bad team and it could easily go from 6-10 to 10-6 or 12-4. Some improvements with the OL and adding a few key players on D and viola we could have a winner. Now, it's up to TT and MM to make it happen. If they make no changes then forget it. MM needs to make some changes on his coaching staff and TT needs to make moves in FA and the draft.

falco
12-29-2008, 05:22 PM
He shows his lack of knowledge by saying Tramon came out of obscurity.

Many here who pay attention were calling for that, and even if he played well enough to raise eyebrows, it was by no means an 'out of nowhere' story.

many?

:?:

Patler
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Is he suggesting that the Packers were responsible for dragging it out? First of all, there was little that the Packers could do until Favre requested reinstatement from the league. Favre didn't do that until shortly before TC began, even though he kept saying that he would. Then, he refused to cooperate in trade discussions until he came to GB and had the sit-down discussions with MM and at his house with Murphy and TT. Until then, about all the Packers could have done is just release him, and that would not have been wise. Once Favre cooperated, the trade was done in a couple days.

Bretsky
12-29-2008, 06:31 PM

Is he suggesting that the Packers were responsible for dragging it out? First of all, there was little that the Packers could do until Favre requested reinstatement from the league. Favre didn't do that until shortly before TC began, even though he kept saying that he would. Then, he refused to cooperate in trade discussions until he came to GB and had the sit-down discussions with MM and at his house with Murphy and TT. Until then, about all the Packers could have done is just release him, and that would not have been wise. Once Favre cooperated, the trade was done in a couple days.

Don't really want to go back here, but I've always felt GB could have ended this way way sooner. Go down and visit him and take the steps to resolve things. Some common sense steps........get active and figure it out

Patler
12-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Don't really want to go back here, but I've always felt GB could have ended this way way sooner. Go down and visit him and take the steps to resolve things. Some common sense steps........get active and figure it out

I have always had the feeling that they did present alternatives, but Favre initially held fast to his "start me or release me" demand. A reasonable resolution requires reasonableness from both sides. I think the Packers were willing to accept anything other than him playing in the NFC North, with a strong preference that he not be on their 2008 schedule.

I suppose they could have just washed their hands of him right away, and agreed to give him his release in July.

Rastak
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM

I have always had the feeling that they did present alternatives, but Favre initially held fast to his "start me or release me" demand. A reasonable resolution requires reasonableness from both sides. I think the Packers were willing to accept anything other than him playing in the NFC North, with a strong preference that he not be on their 2008 schedule.

I suppose they could have just washed their hands of him right away, and agreed to give him his release in July.

And had they done that, they'd lose the 3rd round pick but the Vikings might have got the booby prize of his end of year swoon.

Patler
12-29-2008, 07:39 PM

And had they done that, they'd lose the 3rd round pick but the Vikings might have got the booby prize of his end of year swoon.

Ya, but the Vkings have proven that they can win the division in spite of their QB! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Seifert isn't a Vikings homer. In fact, I'd be surprised if he was from Minnesota. He's a pretty good journalist. I thought all of the comments above were pretty fair.

Tony Oday
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Tramon is a surprise because even if he had "skills" he showed he can start at CB which in my mind is a tough mission in the NFL.

AR played better than Favre this year and he actually took us down to score only to see the D let the game go.

Biggest dissapointment in my mind is D line and Punting.