PDA

View Full Version : Packers MVP

Joemailman
12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Okay, maybe a 6-10 season takes some of the luster off MVP. Nonetheless, as long as we live and breathe Packer football, it matters.

I voted for Rodgers. His ability to handle the pressure cooker he was thrown into kept this team competitive. If he had faltered, the results this year could have been truly disastrous.

Guiness
12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Geez, y'know, there are three guys that played pretty lights out this year.

I can't give it to Rodgers, cause when it comes down to it, a QB get more credit, and takes more blame for the team's record than anyone else, so 6-10 hurts him.

Picking between Jennings and Woodson, I'm taking Woodson because not only did he play well, but he was healthy the whole year, and seemed to become a leader on the defense that needed it when Harris was hurt, and Barnett went down.

swede
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I think DD is a really valuable asset to the team on game day, on the sideline, on the practice field, and in the locker room.

A-Rod was very good this year, but let's make him MVP the first year we get back to the playoffs.

denverYooper
12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I think DD is a really valuable asset to the team on game day, on the sideline, on the practice field, and in the locker room.

A-Rod was very good this year, but let's make him MVP the first year we get back to the playoffs.

I picked Dud as well. He always plays his ass off. On days when it seemed like the team had just about quit, he would come up with a play to at least make the game interesting.

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
A-rod for the very nice numbers and in particular, how he handled the toughest of situations without a precedent really.

RashanGary
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I can't give it to Rodgers, cause when it comes down to it, a QB get more credit, and takes more blame for the team's record than anyone else, so 6-10 hurts him.

You do realize that when NFL coaches and players use that phrase they say it exactly the opposite. They say, "the QB gets more credit and more blame than he deserves".

Funny though. Shows the blind hate.

Partial
12-29-2008, 04:55 PM

You do realize that when NFL coaches and players use that phrase they say it exactly the opposite. They say, "the QB gets more credit and more blame than he deserves".

Funny though. Shows the blind hate.

I disagree. It doesn't show any hate. It shows someone understanding the nature of football and leadership. It's the most important position by a mile. With that said, Rodgers is probably the MVP. Not because he's playing the best, but because he is the quarterback.

Woodson is without question the best player on the team. Then a mix of Clifton, Harris, Driver, Kampman and Jennings. Then Rodgers and Jenkins are on the third tier I'd say.

RashanGary
12-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I voted Rodgers. His play was great.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Driver was solid, but most valuable? HE wasn't even the most valuable reciever.

Woodson is the best player on the team, and saved their bacon on several occasions. I wanted to vote Arod, but Woodson was there.

The Leaper
12-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Woodson was the best player on the team in 2008.

Rastak
12-29-2008, 09:07 PM

That was my vote too, but Rodgers was an extremely close second. Based on the 4 or 5 games I saw anyway.

Bretsky
12-29-2008, 09:07 PM

agree

The Leaper
12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Woodson is without question the best player on the team. Then a mix of Clifton, Harris, Driver, Kampman and Jennings.

Clifton?

Egads...the guy has become rather mediocre, and doesn't deserve to be named with the others IMO.

RashanGary
12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah. Wood probably deserves it. Great player.

superfan
12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Rodgers, because one of my MVP criteria is level of drop off if that guy isn't there. Brohm or Matt Ryan? No thanks, that is a 4-12 season at best.

As good as Woodson is, he can be replaced by Tramon Williams.

Driver or Jennings? I'm confident that Jordy Nelson or James Jones can fill the void effectively.

Nick Collins? Great season, and nearly as irreplaceable as Rodgers. But I like Rouse and even Peprah more than the backup QBs.

]{ilr]3
12-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I voted Rodgers. Seems like I saw some stats to the effect that no other 1 year starting QB has ever put up more than 4000 yards passing in a season other than Kurt Warner.

It was real close voting for Woodson. In nearly ever game this year I jumped out of my chair screaming at the defense as to why Woodson has to come all the way across the field to make a tackle or a play on the ball or tackle a RB. I realize the guy has major talent, but his efforts are also Unmatched by anyone else on the defense IMO.

swede
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Driver was solid, but most valuable? HE wasn't even the most valuable reciever.

Woodson is the best player on the team, and saved their bacon on several occasions. I wanted to vote Arod, but Woodson was there.

I agree with you. Anybody that voted for Driver was voting like a fan rooting for a favorite player. This poll is too important to allow the tomfoolery of vote-wasting!

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
BTW, congrats to Aaron Rodgers for his second 4th quarter winning drive (technically). Doesn't quite make up for the other 5-6 times the defense gave up the lead in the 4th quarter, but it's technically his second.

Congrats to Donald Driver on another 1000 yard season.

oregonpackfan
12-30-2008, 12:02 AM

Agree. Woodson had my vote for his talent, experience, and leadership.

Noodle
12-30-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm with Swede, and the rest of you are putzes.

Don't you get it? DD was the player most closely identified with Favre. They were soul brothers, had been there together through the good and the bad, and DD was Favre's favorite object to pick up and carry after a big play.

So when DD embraced Rodgers as the Pack QB, with no, and I mean NO crap in the press, that set the tone for the whole season.

Not only did DD show huge leadership, he also ripped off yet another 1k yard season, pulling in some sick catches and leading the most productive and consistent unit on the team. And make no mistake, DD is the top dog among the receivers.

Ladies and Gents, I give you the Packer MVP for 2008, Donald Driver.

Partial
12-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Woodson is without question the best player on the team. Then a mix of Clifton, Harris, Driver, Kampman and Jennings.

Clifton?

Egads...the guy has become rather mediocre, and doesn't deserve to be named with the others IMO.

Clifton had a few bad weeks in the middle of the season. The rest of the year he was a beast in pass protection as usual.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Clifton had a few bad weeks in the middle of the season. The rest of the year he was a beast in pass protection as usual.

Nah, he had an off year, and he admitted it after this last game. It wasn't a few games. Even Pro Bowlers have a bad game or two. He had several weak games.