PDA

View Full Version : Final 2008 team stats - crazy

superfan
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM
If somebody showed me these stats and asked me to guess GB's final record, I would guess anywhere from 9-7 to 11-5. This is nuts.

Total Points Scored - GB 419, OPP 380
Points Per Game - GB 26.2, OPP 23.8
Yards Per Game - GB 351.1, OPP 334.3
First Downs - GB 299, OPP 295
Sacks (defense) - GB 27, OPP 34
Interceptions (defense) - GB 22, OPP 13
Field Goal % - GB 79.4%, OPP 83.3%
Time of Possession - GB 31:37, OPP 28:56
Turnover Ratio - +7

I can't seem to find penalties for and against, I would expect that to be a key statistic.

Maybe the least relevant, but most amazing stat of the year:

Interception Return Yards - GB 685, OPP 70

Our 22 picks on defense were returned for 685 yards, while opponents managed only 70 return yards on their 13 picks. My guess is that many of the opponents' picks were late in the game, and the interceptor simply needed to fall down to ensure victory.

Joemailman
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Two 1000 yard receivers. A 1000 yard rusher. QB threw for over 4000 yards with 28 TD's and 13 INT's. 3 defenders with 5 or more INT's.

superfan
12-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Two 1000 yard receivers. A 1000 yard rusher. QB threw for over 4000 yards with 28 TD's and 13 INT's. 3 defenders with 5 or more INT's.

By comparison, the 2007 squad -

One 1000 yard receiver. Zero 1000 yard rushers. QB threw for over 4000 yards with 28 TDs and 15 INTs. 1 defender with 5 or more INTs.

MJZiggy
12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
How the HELL did we do that and still lose?

sheepshead
12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Coaching, lack of focus, penalties.

superfan
12-29-2008, 07:14 PM

I have no answer, other than maybe this team isn't as broken as most of us are inclined to think.

Here is another good stat, but it is only accurate through 15 games, I don't know if there were any challenges in the Lions game.

2008 Replay Challenges

Packers - 4 for 6
Opponents - 0 for 7

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2008, 07:14 PM

maybe the defense wasn't so hot.

superfan
12-29-2008, 07:20 PM
maybe the defense wasn't so hot.

Definitely true, this defense gave up almost 90 more points than last year.

Despite the lousy D, we outscored our opponents and were better in most stat categories. The stats suggest that this should have been at worst a .500 ballclub.

Reminds me of the 4-12 season when the stats were similarly misleading.

packerbacker1234
12-29-2008, 08:12 PM

By comparison, the 2007 squad -

One 1000 yard receiver. Zero 1000 yard rushers. QB threw for over 4000 yards with 28 TDs and 15 INTs. 1 defender with 5 or more INTs.

Meh, this stat for last season is a bit skewed: Ryan Grant didn't even see the field till what, week 7? And he still had almost a 1000 yards... 900+.

Also, Jennings missed 4 games, which I think left him just short of 1000 yards.

It is crazy though: You see those final stat lines and it sure as hell looks like our team is just a beast.

However, numbers mean little, and I've said it all season long. I don't care what AR's number our, how many picks we get, etc. The only stat that matters is W's and L's - All this is doing is proving that thats mean absolutely nothing when it comes to winning games.

superfan
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Meh, this stat for last season is a bit skewed: Ryan Grant didn't even see the field till what, week 7? And he still had almost a 1000 yards... 900+.

Also, Jennings missed 4 games, which I think left him just short of 1000 yards.

It is crazy though: You see those final stat lines and it sure as hell looks like our team is just a beast.

However, numbers mean little, and I've said it all season long. I don't care what AR's number our, how many picks we get, etc. The only stat that matters is W's and L's - All this is doing is proving that thats mean absolutely nothing when it comes to winning games.

Correct, last year Grant finished with 956 yards and Jennings 920, so that is a bit like ESPN manipulating stats to prove their point.

The bottom line is that analyzing stats this season in comparison to the final win-loss record leads to madness. So far I'm enjoying the ride. :eyes:

Fritz
12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
The big stat is that this year's defense sucked.

Bretsky
12-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Undisciplined players..........penalties
Shitty Coaching on the defensive side of the ball = No Key Stops

MJZiggy
12-29-2008, 09:39 PM

Actually I meant scoring 40 points more than our opponents and still go 6-10. Shouldn't the team that scores more points win?

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I can't seem to find penalties for and against, I would expect that to be a key statistic.
Per Yahoo! We had 110 penalties on offense, which puts us at the 2nd most in the NFL. I'm still trying to find the defensive penalties.

denverYooper
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
What are the avg starting field positions for Pack/opponents?

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//index.php?ntid=429889

Certainly, there was regret over a 6-10 season in which they'd lost seven games by four or fewer points (according to the Elias Sports Bureau, only the 1984 Cleveland Browns lost more close games in a season)

Kind of interesting. That Browns team went 5-11 in 1984. They won their division in 1985. In 1986, they went 12-4 and lost to John Elway and the Broncos on "the Drive."

And there was a can-you-believe-it element to the end, too, given their offensive productivity. The Packers had a 4,000-yard passer in Aaron Rodgers, two 1,000-yard receivers in Greg Jennings and Donald Driver, and a 1,200-yard rusher in Ryan Grant. And they put up 419 points on the scoreboard, seventh most in team history and just 16 fewer than last year's 435 -- and the fourth-most scored by a team with a losing record in NFL history.

General manager Ted Thompson will have the ammunition to make personnel moves if he so chooses. In addition to the No. 9 overall pick in the April draft and an extra third-round pick from the New York Jets from the Brett Favre trade, the Packers ended the season with roughly $7.5 million in salary-cap space after using about $13 million on Rodgers' extension.

The last time the Packers finished with a losing record -- they were 4-12 in 2005 -- the free-agency-averse Thompson responded by signing cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, and he may be inclined to make similar moves this offseason.

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2008, 10:38 PM
"We didn't win as many games as I would have liked to, but I definitely learned a lot," said Rodgers, who survived the preseason Favre drama to finish his first season as the starter with 4,038 passing yards, 28 touchdowns and 13 interceptions for a 93.8 passer rating, sixth-best in the NFL. "I understand even more what it takes to win in this league.

"I know the expectations were high. I met some of those expectations and fell short in some areas. I wanted to be a consistent player. I was at times, and I was inconsistent at times. And this team deserves a consistent player 100 percent of the time. I think as a whole, we need to be more consistent on both sides of the ball, be more consistent in our preparation and get ready for a long offseason. We've got a lot of work to do, a lot of improvement to make, and get ready to make a run next year."

Bossman641
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
"We didn't win as many games as I would have liked to, but I definitely learned a lot," said Rodgers, who survived the preseason Favre drama to finish his first season as the starter with 4,038 passing yards, 28 touchdowns and 13 interceptions for a 93.8 passer rating, sixth-best in the NFL. "I understand even more what it takes to win in this league.

"I know the expectations were high. I met some of those expectations and fell short in some areas. I wanted to be a consistent player. I was at times, and I was inconsistent at times. And this team deserves a consistent player 100 percent of the time. I think as a whole, we need to be more consistent on both sides of the ball, be more consistent in our preparation and get ready for a long offseason. We've got a lot of work to do, a lot of improvement to make, and get ready to make a run next year."

I think I'm developing a man-crush on Rodgers. Not only did he exceed expectations on the football field, but he gives some of the best interview answers I've ever seen. He handled the media like a champ, all the way from the Favre mess through a disappointing season. He comes across as respectful and hard-working, and even when he does throw a little cockiness in there (his get on the bus comment or whatever before the season) I still like it. He's either very well-coached or really intelligent.

Jimx29
12-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Coaching, lack of focus, penalties.And karma

Partial
12-30-2008, 01:09 AM
I think I'm developing a man-crush on Rodgers. Not only did he exceed expectations on the football field, but he gives some of the best interview answers I've ever seen. He handled the media like a champ, all the way from the Favre mess through a disappointing season. He comes across as respectful and hard-working, and even when he does throw a little cockiness in there (his get on the bus comment or whatever before the season) I still like it. He's either very well-coached or really intelligent.

He handles the answers like any other kiss ass would. What else is he going to say? I don't think any more or any less of him based on his incredibly generic answers. Everybody says the same thing.

He's probably fairly intelligent. But we both know that in the same situation your average college student would say the same thing.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 01:27 AM
He's probably fairly intelligent. But we both know that in the same situation your average college student would say the same thing.

I'm guessing that it's pretty likely he's more than fairly intelligent (35 on his wonderlic usually means a guy is pretty sharp), and I don't think the average college student would have handled the questions this year nearly as well.

MJZiggy
12-30-2008, 06:14 AM

He handles the answers like any other kiss ass would. What else is he going to say? I don't think any more or any less of him based on his incredibly generic answers. Everybody says the same thing.

Tell it to Jermichael Finley. AR is very intelligent and not every young quarterback would be so introspective willing to be self-critical in front of the media to give a good answer there.

packrulz
12-30-2008, 06:35 AM
If somebody showed me these stats and asked me to guess GB's final record, I would guess anywhere from 9-7 to 11-5. This is nuts.

Turnover Ratio - +7

Our 22 picks on defense were returned for 685 yards, while opponents managed only 70 return yards on their 13 picks. My guess is that many of the opponents' picks were late in the game, and the interceptor simply needed to fall down to ensure victory.
This is why I don't think they should fire Bob Sanders, they lost 7 games by 4 points or less, imagine how many of those they would've won if they still had a healthy Jenkins, Corey Williams, and a DE that can rush the passer. I'd rather see them sign Peppers and draft a DT.

Zool
12-30-2008, 07:41 AM

I'm guessing that it's pretty likely he's more than fairly intelligent (35 on his wonderlic usually means a guy is pretty sharp), and I don't think the average college student would have handled the questions this year nearly as well.

Dont bother Harv. Although P says he likes AR, he sure tears him down every chance he gets.

cpk1994
12-30-2008, 07:54 AM

Turnover Ratio - +7

This is why I don't think they should fire Bob Sanders, they lost 7 games by 4 points or less, imagine how many of those they would've won if they still had a healthy Jenkins, Corey Williams, and a DE that can rush the passer. I'd rather see them sign Peppers and draft a DT.It wouldn't matter. Sanders is the same predictable boob. Teams know what he runs wwhen he runs it. He has no imagination.

denverYooper
12-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Bull Durham is probably required viewing for any pro athlete. Especially the scene where Crash educates Nuke LaLoosh on how to answer interview questions.

Gunakor
12-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Actually I meant scoring 40 points more than our opponents and still go 6-10. Shouldn't the team that scores more points win?

Think back to 2005.

That year we had actually scored more points on the season than we had given up all the way to December when we were 3-11. How could that be? Well, we had lost a LOT of close games that year too. But one of the wins was a 53-6 (or some crazy score like that) embarrasment of the Saints early in the season. When your team has a +40 point differential in one game, and then a -1 or -3 or -4 point differential in all the others...

Think Indianapolis and Chicago at Lambeau this year for the big pluses. Then we lost a bunch of games by 4 or less. And when all are tallied, we are still in the positive because of a 37-3 drubbing of our neighbors to the south, and 34-14 humiliation of their neighbors to the east. That's +54 points in those two games alone. It takes a lot of -1s and -3s and -4s to bring us into the negative, and there just aren't enough weeks in the season to make it happen.

Gunakor
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Jermichael Finley is your average college student. And he doesn't have nearly the same media savvy as Rodgers.

"It was a bad throw" "I don't do back shoulder"

That's your average college student type of answer. And there's the difference.