PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable-Blagojevich to name Burris to fill Obama seat

retailguy
12-30-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/blagojevich-to-name-burris-to-senate.html

Gov. Rod Blagojevich is expected today to name former Illinois Atty. Gen. Roland Burris to replace President-elect Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

The action comes despite warnings by Democratic Senate leaders that they would not seat anyone appointed by the disgraced governor who faces criminal charges of trying to sell the post, sources familiar with the decision said.

Shortly after Obama's Nov. 4 victory, Burris made known his interest in an appointment to the Senate but was never seriously considered, according to Blagojevich insiders. But in the days following Blagojevich's arrest, and despite questions over the taint of a Senate appointment, Burris stepped up his efforts to win the governor's support.

Though he is 71, Burris has said that Obama's replacement should be able to win re-election and he has noted that despite a string of primary losses in races ranging from Chicago mayor to governor and U.S. senator, he's never lost to a Republican.

Blagojevich, who has sole authority to name a replacement senator, scheduled a 2 p.m. news conference at his downtown Chicago office.

Blagojevich's criminal defense attorney Ed Genson had said Blagojevich would not name a Senate successor to Obama. The governor had indicated he agreed with other Illinois politicians that the best option might be a special election to fill Obama's seat. But state lawmakers have not taken up the necessary legislation.

U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada previously warned Blagojevich, following the governor's Dec. 9 arrest, that Senate Democrats would not seat any appointment the two-term Democratic governor made. Reid's warning was contained in a letter signed by all 50 sitting Democratic senators, including the No. 2 Democrat in Senate leadership, Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois.

Federal authorities, citing secret wiretap recordings, allege Blagojevich sought a Cabinet position, an ambassadorship or a high-paying job from the incoming Obama administration in exchange for naming a candidate favored by the president-elect to the vacancy. An internal report by the Obama transition team found no offers of any quid pro quo in conversations held by incoming White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel and Blagojevich and the governor's staff regarding the seat.

Burris became the first African-American to win statewide office in 1978, when he won the first of his three terms as comptroller. But Burris repeatedly stalled in his quest for bigger political office. He failed in three consecutive runs for governor--1994, 1998 and 2002, when he ran against Blagojevich--in the Democratic primaries.

Burris, an attorney in private practice, could not be reached for comment at his home today.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Blagojevich has a very impressive head of hair. I wonder if it is a weave or something.

red
12-30-2008, 12:00 PM
how this guy still has a job just baffles me

why hasn't he been stripped of his powers?

better yet, why isn't he already in jail?

sheepshead
12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
This guy is totally whacked. Burris has run for everything here and lost. Reid has said they'll push anyone blago appoints back to Rush Street. We need to follow the state constitution on this one, but there is no one standing in the way of impeachment. Might take a few weeks.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM

We are a country of laws, not call-in polls.

As far as I can tell, he didn't break any laws. Maybe he intended to break the law, but somebody (the press?) blew the whistle before catching him in the act. I suspect the FBI is furious. And the comments he made are not so strange to the culture of Chicago - he expects to get something for political favors.

It is not that simple of a situation.

bobblehead
12-30-2008, 12:11 PM

As a general rule (about 90-10 and 10-90) Democrats will fight to the bitter end when caught and republicans will step down. Stevens would be an exception as would the NY guy with the hookers on the other side.

That jefferson dude was caught on wiretaps and had 90k cash in his freezer. He won re-election and Pelosi tried to give him a cherished seat before the public outcry.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
As a general rule (about 90-10 and 10-90) Democrats will fight to the bitter end when caught and republicans will step down.

:lol: Like Larry Craig? Dick Nixon?

This is a silly theory. I'm sure you can come up with many examples to support your theory, but somebody who cared could find an equal number to contradict.

sheepshead
12-30-2008, 12:20 PM
As a general rule (about 90-10 and 10-90) Democrats will fight to the bitter end when caught and republicans will step down.

:lol: Like Larry Craig? Dick Nixon?

This is a silly theory. I'm sure you can come up with many examples to support your theory, but somebody who cared could find an equal number to contradict.

Dick Nixon didnt step down?

digitaldean
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Blagojevich has a very impressive head of hair. I wonder if it is a weave or something.

Either that or he has Jimmy Johnson's hair spray supply.

digitaldean
12-30-2008, 02:43 PM

As a general rule (about 90-10 and 10-90) Democrats will fight to the bitter end when caught and republicans will step down. Stevens would be an exception as would the NY guy with the hookers on the other side.

That jefferson dude was caught on wiretaps and had 90k cash in his freezer. He won re-election and Pelosi tried to give him a cherished seat before the public outcry.

Thankfully Jefferson got voted out this time around. Even Louisiana voters can't stand that type of overt corruption.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
There is a little thing called due process of law.

The Dem leadership in the Senate, to their credit, has stated they won't accept and seat anybody appointed by Blagojevich. I heard on the news today, though, somebody (it may have been Mort Kondracke) say that if that happened, there is a strong chance the Supreme Court would overrule the Senate--that a duly elected governor's appointment can't be rejected just because there is a cloud of corruption hanging over the appointing governor.

If you think about it, the Senate rejecting this choice would be a pretty bad precedent. It is one step away from the Senate rejecting somebody they just plain don't like on partisan grounds.

This guy, Burris, whatever his politics, would seem to be an acceptable compromise candidate, as he is 71 years old. He probably would finish out Obama's term, and then not run again. From a partisan Republican point of view, nobody decent is gonna get appointed regardless, and at least this guy isn't some hot shot long term safe to be re-elected type.

MJZiggy
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I thought they were rejecting not because he has corruption surrounding him, but because he was under Federal indictment, specifically for trying to peddle THIS seat. Wouldn't that automatically make any appointment a conflict of interest?

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 10:33 PM

not until he was completely abandoned and had no choice.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 10:42 PM

The Dem leadership in the Senate, to their credit, has stated they won't accept and seat anybody appointed by Blagojevich. I heard on the news today, though, somebody (it may have been Mort Kondracke) say that if that happened, there is a strong chance the Supreme Court would overrule the Senate--that a duly elected governor's appointment can't be rejected just because there is a cloud of corruption hanging over the appointing governor.

If you think about it, the Senate rejecting this choice would be a pretty bad precedent. It is one step away from the Senate rejecting somebody they just plain don't like on partisan grounds.

This guy, Burris, whatever his politics, would seem to be an acceptable compromise candidate, as he is 71 years old. He probably would finish out Obama's term, and then not run again. From a partisan Republican point of view, nobody decent is gonna get appointed regardless, and at least this guy isn't some hot shot long term safe to be re-elected type.

I agree with most of what you say. But why praise the Senate Democrats on this one? Their position makes some sense, but it is not wise. Burris is a completely acceptable appointment. Baggy made it just to help his own position, true, but so what. Why get into a pissing match with the guy? It creates a legal nightmare, and interferes with the public interest.

The Senate should forget the posturing, even if it is justified, and let the appointment stand. Baggy will get whats coming to him.

bobblehead
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Kinda my point....the republican party abandons corrupt pols while the dems constantly talk about letting things come to a legal conclusion. Next thing you will be telling me that republicans steal as many elections as democrats.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Kinda my point....the republican party abandons corrupt pols while the dems constantly talk about letting things come to a legal conclusion.

Uhh, you're just wrong. Politicians on both sides are equally self-serving. Most Republicans stuck by Nixon for almost two years after his scandal broke. They broke off only when the writing was on the wall.

Next thing you will be telling me that republicans steal as many elections as democrats.

Extreme partisians on both sides are forever claiming that elections are stolen. Air America is convinced that Ohio was stolen by Republicans in both 2000 and 2004.

arcilite
12-30-2008, 11:33 PM
lol im starting to like this guy

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
lol im starting to like this guy

ya, he does have some moxie.

but the country is in the crapper, and there's something wrong about politicians and the public wasting too much attention on his situation.

MJZiggy
12-31-2008, 06:06 AM

Kinda my point....the republican party abandons corrupt pols while the dems constantly talk about letting things come to a legal conclusion. Next thing you will be telling me that republicans steal as many elections as democrats.

Isn't the whole point here that the Democrats have abandoned Blagojevich and won't approve his appointment regardless who it is--and before due process? :?

Patler
12-31-2008, 06:30 AM

I agree with this, mostly; but as MJZ has pointed out, the cloud of corruption overhanging the Governor is with respect to this exact act, the appointment of Obama's replacement. Makes the whole thing a lot more confusing. If he was under investigation just for the road contracting issues, or things having no connection to the appointment, I would agree that the appointment should stand. But the whole appointment process has been tainted. After all, I believe Burris was one of the early candidates asking for the appointment.

The other factor is that the Governor does not have a duty to appoint the replacement, he only has the right to do it if he so chooses. He could simply declare an election for the replacement. I'm not sure if there are still other options, or not..

Kiwon
12-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Thread title: Unbelievable-Blagojevich to name Burris to fill Obama seat

Nothing much surprises anymore.

The "Unbelievable" is becoming commonplace. :?

SkinBasket
12-31-2008, 08:29 AM
The other factor is that the Governor does not have a duty to appoint the replacement, he only has the right to do it if he so chooses. He could simply declare an election for the replacement. I'm not sure if there are still other options, or not..

I don't see how there could be any other logical conclusion to this than a special election, but if people elected such a smarmy looking fellow, they deserve all the smarm he can serve up I'm thinking.

sheepshead
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Ahhh Illinois politics:

"Jesse Jackson said that Rush "was and is an icon in the civil-rights movement" in Chicago and had established himself, first on the City Council and then in Congress. "So this relatively new guy, moving on him, didn't sit well," said Jackson, who supported Rush.

Rush did not hesitate to mock Obama as inauthentic--and, by inference, insufficiently black. "He went to Harvard and became an educated fool," Rush told the Chicago Reader during the campaign"."

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2008, 10:22 AM

Isn't the whole point here that the Democrats have abandoned Blagojevich and won't approve his appointment regardless who it is--and before due process? :?

:lol: I guess I missed the forest for the trees, you're right.

this is just one of those silly arguments, trying to prove that one of the parties has bad people and the other has good people.

Some people on both sides actually believe that is always the other guys who doing the monkey business.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2008, 10:25 AM

Well ya, if Blaggy had the interests of the people as his top priority, this is what he would do. But he is using the appointment to prove an point, that he is still the governor and won't be railroaded out.

Its unfortunate that the Dems have dug in their heels and are going to fight the appointment. ITs not going to do anybody any good. Its not worth the distraction, dealing with Blaggy is a low priority.

bobblehead
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Yes, there has been so much political pressure that he....is still the govenor of Illinois. As a matter of fact the Illinois democratic legislature hasn't even begun impeachment movements yet. When the pressure causes him to step down then I will concede this point. I would cite a similar situation, but I can't think of a republican caught with 90k in his freezer and on wiretaps. Or one who is selling a seat...and caught on wiretaps.

If you can cite an example where a republican is caught dead to rights on wiretaps and didn't step down please point it out. I love to continue my ongoing education.

bobblehead
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM

:lol: I guess I missed the forest for the trees, you're right.

this is just one of those silly arguments, trying to prove that one of the parties has bad people and the other has good people.

Some people on both sides actually believe that is always the other guys who doing the monkey business.

Yes, obviously because I have been such a staunch supporter of the republicans and all they do. I have never pointed out corruption or stupidity on their part. I did not say that stevens should have immediately stepped down. I have never said bush was a failure as president. I am a one sided person who is making a silly arguement that happens to be backed up by facts.

Just like my post above, please show me where the equal standard is. I believe when Ken Starr prosecuted a certain GOP senator the dems lauded him and the senator resigned in shame. When Starr prosecuted Clinton on far worse the troops rallied and attacked Starr. Clinton served out his term despite lying under oath and generally bringing disgrace to our country.

Oh yea, and I defended Clinton at the time and said we should drop it cuz it was pointless and I wanted to get back to issues.

Yea, HH your right, I'm a one sided hack. bottom line is that their are crooks on both sides and I will NEVER say different...its how each side handles the crooks that is significantly different.

And who is the idiot who brought up Larry Craig?? The dude is a fag who tried to hire a gay hooker. Its not the same as selling a senate seat.

This is why I would vote for Elliot Spitzer if I could. He got caught doing something that isn't a big deal but he had the decency and shame to step down. Christ people piss me off!!

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2009, 09:58 AM
When Starr prosecuted Clinton on far worse

:wink:

bobblehead
01-01-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm comparing him to the Oregon? senator who grabbed a couple asses at parties, not Gov. Rod.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2009, 12:22 AM

I'm comparing him to the Oregon? senator who grabbed a couple asses at parties, not Gov. Rod.

Good comparison.

Packwood got railroaded out of the Senate in disgrace for one incident of the same type that Clinton had probably double digits, while Clinton was allowed to serve out his term, and his media buddies pretty much purged all recollection of his plethora of bad deeds on several different fronts--moral, financial, political, etc.

bobblehead
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Good comparison.

Packwood got railroaded out of the Senate in disgrace for one incident of the same type that Clinton had probably double digits, while Clinton was allowed to serve out his term, and his media buddies pretty much purged all recollection of his plethora of bad deeds on several different fronts--moral, financial, political, etc.

the comparison is even better because Packwood was investigated by....Ken starr who democrats lauded for his neutrality in the situation. He only became a pervert partisan hack when he was picked to investigate clinton.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Now they're talking about Bill getting Hilary's Senate seat--with poor pathetic Caroline having open her mouth with a few too many "you knows".

Rush saw that one coming over a year ago--although he meant with Hillary as president.

bobblehead
01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Good news. The illinois legislature is hearing impeachment arguements. Good for the, cover those asses.

MJZiggy
01-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I also read this morning that he's lost his Federal Clearance. The rumblings are starting to suggest that they're going to confirm Burris, just give him a frosty welcome which I see as akin to blaming Rodgers for the Favre drama.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
The latest I heard is that they will send it to the Rules Committee--due to the Illinois Sec. of State not certifying him, and that will buy time for the Illinois legislature to do the impeachment thing--making the appointment invalid.

All those Dems conspiring to keep the guy out almost makes me support him ..... almost, but not quite.

Harlan Huckleby
01-03-2009, 02:38 PM
The rumblings are starting to suggest that they're going to confirm Burris, just give him a frosty welcome which I see as akin to blaming Rodgers for the Favre drama.

I didn't hear the rumor about confirming Burris, hope its true. That will be a sensible solution to the entire problem. (Illinois can deal with Baggy just fine, in good time.)

I think the part about the "frosty welcome" is false speculation. The opposite is all but certain, the Senators will be falling all over themselves to embrace Burris, it's in their interest to emphasise that the controversy is about Baggy, not Burris. In the end they will want to put a pleasant odor on the stink.

Senators are not as dumb as Packer fans.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Diane Feinstein today said "just seat the fucker" (I paraphrase.) I hope the other Dems will see the light.

This is a really stupid situation. The Senate Democrats boxed themselves into a corner by taking an untenable position, and now have no face-saving way to back-down. Terrible when egos become the top priority.

I heard Senator Durbin say on TV, "Blag. forfeited the right to make an appointment with his unethical conduct." What the hell does this mean? Its just hot air. Its not his or Harry Reed's place to decide the appointment, the law is not on their side.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2009, 07:15 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/06/AR2009010603370.html

Some of the Dems want to seat Burris with the stipulation that he agree to not seek reelection.

They have lost their minds. The arrogance! You talk about abuse of power. Except they are not going to get away with it, they don't have the power to abuse.

bobblehead
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/06/AR2009010603370.html

Some of the Dems want to seat Burris with the stipulation that he agree to not seek reelection.

They have lost their minds. The arrogance! You talk about abuse of power. Except they are not going to get away with it, they don't have the power to abuse.

Reid tried to play games and said the secratary of illinois never signed off on the appointment so "I can't seat him"....except the SoI doesn't have to sign off according to Ill. law.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Bottom line: Blago is the man.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2009, 12:08 AM
he's kinda like the Fonz

He will be missed.

red
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
well the fib house voted to impeach him with a vote of 114-1. now it moves to the state senate i guess

good move, i say

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090109/ap_on_re_us/illinois_governor

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 11:45 AM
well the fib house voted to impeach him with a vote of 114-1. now it moves to the state senate i guess

good move, i say

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090109/ap_on_re_us/illinois_governor

Rep. Elga Jefferies, another Chicago Democrat, voted "present."

He might have a future as Senator and President.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Several conservative columnists are lambasting the Senate Dems for caving on Burris:
Burris backers help sell out state's voters (http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/1367412,CST-NWS-brown08.article)
Democrats wimp on Burris, trading principle for politics (http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/01/democrats-wimp.html)

Just two days ago, most conservatives were criticizing the Dems for NOT admitting Burris. And this new round of rightous indignation ignores the fact that the Dems already tried rightous indignation and it failed. They had no legal standing to bar him.

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Several conservative columnists are lambasting the Senate Dems for caving on Burris:
Burris backers help sell out state's voters (http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/1367412,CST-NWS-brown08.article)
Democrats wimp on Burris, trading principle for politics (http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/01/democrats-wimp.html)

Just two days ago, most conservatives were criticizing the Dems for NOT admitting Burris. And this new round of rightous indignation ignores the fact that the Dems already tried rightous indignation and it failed. They had no legal standing to bar him.

Stop the presses! Politicians play politics. I am shocked, SHOCKED! that there is political wrangling going on in Washington. P.S. Blago is out for a jog; he'll be back shortly.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
The Republican Senators are now shifting towards enthusiastically supporting Burris. (They know he is a terrible candidate for the Dems, might as well promote him.)

Not sure why I find this Burris saga interesting. The Blagojevich corruption story is now predictable, all that's left is some shouting. Burris is a funny little man, and his situation is very odd.

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
The Republican Senators are now shifting towards enthusiastically supporting Burris. (They know he is a terrible candidate for the Dems, might as well promote him.)

Not sure why I find this Burris saga interesting. The Blagojevich corruption story is now predictable, all that's left is some shouting. Burris is a funny little man, and his situation is very odd.

I have to admit, I found it amusing how all the race hustlers came out and said that Burris was being blocked (by scumbag Harry Reid, no less) because he's black. Dammit, that was HIGH-larious - as Ross Perot might say (there's another funny little man....)

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 05:31 PM
http://msunderestimated.com/2009/01/09/impeach-or-institutionalize-blago-he-needs-both-video/

I wish we would have sent a shoe thrower down there!

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
A potentially troublesome new detail emerged about Roland Burris’ controversial U.S. Senate appointment Thursday after a state House panel voted unanimously to recommend Gov. Blagojevich be impeached.

For the first time, Burris indicated that he asked Blagojevich’s former chief of staff and college classmate, Lon Monk, to relay his interest in the Senate seat to the governor last July or September.

“If you’re close to the governor, you know, let him know I’m certainly interested in the seat,” Burris said he told Monk.

That testimony appears to differ from an affidavit Burris submitted to the impeachment panel this week in which he stated he spoke to no “representatives” of the governor about the Senate post prior to Dec. 26.

Federal prosecutors, who identified Monk as “Lobbyist 1″ in their criminal complaint against Blagojevich, indicated they tapped Monk’s phone in November as Blagojevich moved to fill President-elect Barack Obama’s Senate seat.

Whether the new Monk detail poses any threat to Burris’ efforts to persuade Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to allow him to be seated isn’t clear, but Republicans on the state impeachment panel see a contradiction.

“There is an inconsistency between his testimony and the affidavit,” said state Rep. Jim Durkin (R-Western Springs). “I’ll leave it to Sen. Reid to determine what value that has to their process.”

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2009, 07:04 PM

This is what I've been saying.

Whatever else he is--weak or strong, popular or unpopular, he is 71 years old, and thus, won't hold the seat for too long.

If Blagojevich had been smart--and effective for the liberal cause, he would have appointed himself. He is what, 40 years old give or take? No law or tenet of ethics would have been broken, and Illinois and the country would have probably been saddled with him--a thoroughly left wing senator--for the next 30 years or so.

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, the worm has turned again. The Dems are back to blocking Burris on a legal technicallity.

I think the overwhelming vote to impeach Blago on Friday has re-emboldend the Dems. They think they can ride-out the pressure, then choose a better candidate through the LT. Gov. in Illinois.

It is just funny to hear them try and straddle the fence. Durbin was on Face the Nation, praising Burris, saying they want to do right by him. But new paperwork has arrived, the Sentate is very busy you know, and it will take some time to review all the documents.