PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Offseason

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Looking at the list of available FAs, it's not a great list. A few positions are strong. Some of these guys will be tagged or will resign with their current teams before they even hit UFA.

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=9&c=12&yr=2009&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=10

At QB, Matt Cassel is this year's Matt Schaub. He'll be in big demand, and New England will probably tag him. Kurt Warner would be a nice fit for a contender lacking a QB. I don't see the Packers making a play for any of these guys.

At RB, Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward are studs. I'm assuming the Giants will try their best to keep one of these guys. The other is going to be the Michael Turner of this year's class. I don't see either guy coming to Green Bay. Maurice Morris, Correll Buckhalter, and Darren Sproles wouldn't be bad backups, but I don't see the Packers making much of a play on any of these guys.

At WR, there isn't much available. T.J. Houshmandzadeh will get big money. Antonio Bryant made himself some money in his contract year. Lance Moore will get some play as a RFA. He'd make a nice slot receiver for a lot of teams. There will be teams that take a chance on Devery Henderson, Nate Washington, and possibly Brandon Jones. The Packers will have little interest in any of these guys.

At TE, Houston won't let Owen Daniels get away. L.J. Smith might be a nice bargain after his injury plagued year. Jim Kleinsasser probably fits best where he's at. Bo Scaife is a decent all around TE with little speed to stretch the field. It's unlikely the Packers will have interest in any of these guys. Lee is probably as good as the guys not named Daniels, and Finley has some potential.

At OT, there are some decent players available. Jordan Gross will get huge money. Vernon Carey is a good, young player. Khalif Barnes and Stacy Andrews have been up and down, but mostly solid. Jon Runyan and Tra Thomas are warriors, but are old. Max Starks and Marvel Smith are inconsistent. Gross seems to be the only one that has the movement skills for the ZBS. It might be a pipe dream, but Gross would be one of the few FAs that would get me excited.

At OG, there isn't much. New Orleans won't let Jahri Evans go as a RFA. Chris Kemoeatu is a road grader type. Cooper Carlisle is a good fit for our scheme, but he's getting old. Mike Goff is on the decline. Mark Setterstrom was a good player for the Rams early in his career, but he's been ravaged by injuries. I'm not sure there's anybody worth going after here.

At OC, Matt Birk and Jeff Saturday are solid vets who probably have a couple of years left. I can't see Birk leaving his home town or Saturday leaving the Colts though. Jason Brown is a good, young, road grader type. Eric Heitmann and Richie Incognito have just been adequate starters. Maybe a veteran OC to stabilize the middle of the OL would be worth pursuing.

At DE, Julius Peppers is a stud. Terrell Suggs is a stud in the 3-4 defense, but I'm not convinced he's a stud as a 4-3 DE. Chris Canty would be an intriguing pickup because he's decent all around. The rest aren't very intriguing. Bertrand Berry is old and injury prone. Peppers would be a dream. Canty wouldn't be a bad fallback.

At DT, Albert Haynesworth is a stud, and count me as somebody who would love to get him. Most of the rest are undersized pass rushers. Rocky Bernard probably is the best of that bunch. He could provide an inside pass rush that the Packers lacked once Jenkins went down. Jovan Haye is similar to Bernard, but followed up a good 2007 season with a down 2008 season. More than anything though, we need a big 3 down stud DT that can stop the run and provide a pass rush. Outside of Haynesworth, I'm not sure another is available. Gabe Watson is probably the closest thing we need physically, but he's been a bit of a disappointment in his career.

At LB, there are some solid options available. Ray Lewis will stay in Baltimore. Michael Boley and Karlos Dansby are studs. Jonathan Vilma has played much better in 4-3 than his two years with Mangini in the 3-4. Channing Crowder has turned into a nice player. Bart Scott is solid in the 3-4. Not sure how he would translate to a 4-3. Angelo Crowell is solid, but missed the 2008 season with an injury. LeRoy Hill would be a good fit in our current scheme or a blitzing 4-3 scheme. Mike Peterson was a stud, but he's old. There are some LB options available that should be intriguing to the Packers.

At CB, Nnamdi Asomugha is a stud, but I can't see Oakland letting him go. Can they franchise him again? Dunta Robinson and Chris Gamble are solid. As long as Harris and Woodson are on the team, I'm not sure Green Bay would be attractive to any FA corners.

At S, there are some intriguing players available. Sean Jones is a solid all around safety. OJ Atogwe is a pretty good cover safety. Jermaine Phillips is solid also, but is better near the line of scrimmage. Beside Jones, two lesser names intrigue me the most - James Butler of the Giants and James Sanders of the Patriots. There are some guys to target here.

At P/K, two words - Shane Lechler. After the debacle of this season, he might be worth the money.

In short, I don't see us signing a FA QB, RB, WR, TE, or OG. OC has a couple of intriguing guys. OT has a handful of intriguing guys, but most aren't ideal for our system. Peppers, Gross, Haynesworth, Boley, and Dansby would instantly upgrade the team--but they'll be difficult to get. There isn't much at DT outside of Haynesworth. Canty is intriguing. There are some intriguing LBs and safeties available.

Pipe Dreams - OT Gross, DE Peppers, DT Haynsworth, LB Boley, LB Dansby

Other Guys That Would Get Me Exciting - OT Carey, LB Vilma, LB Crowder, S Jones, P Lechler (although it's hard to put a punter on here)

Sleepers That I Wouldn't Mind Getting - DE Canty, DT Watson, LB Hill, LB Crowell, S Butler, S Sanders

Other Guys That Might Fit - TE Smith, OG Carlisle, OC Saturday, DT Bernard, DT Haye

Lurker64
12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Asomugha has already been informed by the Raiders that he will be franchised again. Last time he got tagged with the exclusive franchise tag (can't even negotiate with other teams), so he's not going anywhere.

Under the current CBA, there's nothing keeping a team from franchising a guy over and over and over again. Asomugha's plight might lead to the rules for this changing in the next CBA discussion though.

Partial
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Asomugha has already been informed by the Raiders that he will be franchised again. Last time he got tagged with the exclusive franchise tag (can't even negotiate with other teams), so he's not going anywhere.

Under the current CBA, there's nothing keeping a team from franchising a guy over and over and over again. Asomugha's plight might lead to the rules for this changing in the next CBA discussion though.

He'll be getting an assload of money. He'll get what he made last year + 25%. I'm sure he's ok with it.

Patler
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM

There is the "Walter Jones Rule" for any player franchised a third time. His salary for that year is:

(1) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) with the highest such average; (2) 120% of the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the player played the most games during the prior League Year; or (3) 144% of his Prior Year Salary. By way of example, a kicker designated as a Franchise Player for the third time in the 2007 League Year would have a Required Tender equal to the greater of: (i) the average of the five largest 2006 Salaries for quarterbacks; (ii) 120% of the average of the five largest 2006 Salaries for kickers; or (iii) 144% of the player’s own 2006 Salary.

Freak Out
12-30-2008, 05:12 PM

He'll be getting an assload of money. He'll get what he made last year + 25%. I'm sure he's ok with it.

Playing for Granny has it's downsides but the Bay area is a damn nice place to live if you have some dough.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Which starters are you okay with returning as a starter next year? Which need to be upgraded?

QB Aaron Rodgers
RB Ryan Grant
FB Korey Hall or John Kuhn
WR Greg Jennings
WR Donald Driver
TE Donald Lee
LT Chad Clifton
LG Daryn Colledge
C Scott Wells
RG Jason Spitz
RT Mark Tauscher

LE Aaron Kampman
LT Johnny Jolly
RT Ryan Pickett
RE Cullen Jenkins
WLB A.J. Hawk
MLB Nick Barnett
SLB Brady Poppinga or Brandon Chillar
CB Charles Woodson
CB Al Harris
S Nick Collins
S Atari Bigby

K Mason Crosby
P The new guy
PR Will Blackmon
KR Will Blackmon/Jordy Nelson

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
For me, on offense I'm okay with everybody, but I'd like one new starter on the OL (I have hope that maybe Josh Sitton moves Spitz inside to OC).

On defense, I'm looking for somebody to replace Jolly and somebody to push Jenkins, a replacement for Poppinga or Chillar, and somebody to push Bigby.

Need a new punter also.

Is it plausible that this team is a factor next year with most of the same starters (e.g. favorable schedule, more luck, fewer injuries, better coaching)?

packers11
12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Which starters are you okay with returning as a starter next year? Which need to be upgraded?

Besides the O-line I don't have any complains on offense...

LE Aaron Kampman
LT Johnny Jolly - Need game changing D-tackle
RT Ryan Pickett
RE Cullen Jenkins
WLB A.J. Hawk - Needs to go back to his 1st/2nd season speed
MLB Nick Barnett
SLB Brady Poppinga or Brandon Chillar - Would like to see more competition at this position. Not sold on either guy...
CB Charles Woodson
CB Al Harris
S Nick Collins
S Atari Bigby - Add a safety through the draft to bring in more competition...

K Mason Crosby
P The new guy - GET SOMEONE IN FA!!! A PROVEN PUNTER!!!
PR Will Blackmon
KR Will Blackmon/Jordy Nelson

MJZiggy
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
You don't like Kapinos? I thought he did ok.

BallHawk
12-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Dunta Robinson and Chris Gamble are solid

Gamble's not on the market as he signed a six-year $53 million contract back in November.

Yeah, we passed on that guy for Ahmad Carroll.

retailguy
12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Good analysis Harvey.(seriously) Who is "on deck" in the 7th round? We got a good shot at some of those guys. :D :wink:

DonHutson
12-31-2008, 07:47 AM

The curtain needs to drop on the Braydon Chillpinga Experience. Karlos Dansby would be my dream replacement.

I don't really want to replace Tauscher, but I'm not sure we'll have a choice. How long will he be rehabbing? Financially, I'm not sure it makes sense to bring him back. But I also don't think his long-term replacement is on the roster right now.

The whole OL is one big monkeypile. My prescription is to keep adding monkeys until we find five that can stay on top.

Jolly certainly did not step up. Step up or go to the back of the line, Johnny.

I don't know that Jenkins needs to be replaced, exactly. He does, without a doubt, require a capable backup. And the position needs to be augmented with a dynamic pass-rusher. If those roles are filled by the same person, great. If not, that's fine too.

There should be a wide open competition at punter.

Finally, they need to get back to considering special teams when they put their bench together. That didn't seem to be as much of a priority this year and the results were disastrous.

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2008, 08:02 AM
I did too--but it couldn't hurt to have someone else in camp to push him. They can probably find someone worth a look without having to spend a draft pick (insert "third round draft choice" joke here). :)

ND72
12-31-2008, 08:17 AM
there are only a couple areas I would look to upgrade. DT & SLB. Pickett was a disappointment this year, as well as Jolly. Poop & Chilly aren't good. The people I'd love to see come here, specifically Haynesworth, won't come. I don't think he'll even make it to free agency as everythign I've been reading has him resigning with Titans before the end of the playoffs.

I do think we have one of our future Tackles on roster, Colledge. He is just a natural tackle, and has been playing like one as a guard, and that doesn't work. We will still need another tackle though, as I think Clifton is done, and Tauscher, who knows....he looks like he should have never been an NFL athlete anyway. :lol:

MJZiggy
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
I did too--but it couldn't hurt to have someone else in camp to push him. They can probably find someone worth a look without having to spend a draft pick (insert "third round draft choice" joke here). :)

Who's the kid they just signed to a futures contract?

Farley Face
12-31-2008, 07:59 PM

Who's the kid they just signed to a futures contract?

Brooks. He was drafted by Washington this year to replace Frost. Funny how the world works sometimes.

jmbarnes101
01-01-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't think we honestly need to change very much in order to conquer the problems of this year; injury, conservatism/missed chances, and referee's.

I'd like to see an upgrade at TE. Lee is just okay, nothing spectacular. The acquisition of Tony Gonzalez would really have opened up this offense. Any chance we go after him during the off-season? With KC starting over maybe they'll be open to trading him for picks this time around.

I'd like to see an OL change with Colledge and Jordan Gross at T, Sitton and Barbre at G, and Spitz at C. Carolina can't keep both Peppers and Gross so go get em TT. This line would have potential and could be around for awhile.

We need an upgrade over Jolly at DT whether that means moving Jenkins inside and getting a DE or getting an actual DT I don't care. I like him as a back-up and I'm still not down on Harrell so we could get a nice rotation going. Health for this unit would be imperative.

LB could be improved but I don't think it's imperative. If the DL is fixed the overall defense will greatly improve. I'm worried about Barnett coming back full-speed so that could be a concern and I'm hoping Hawk stays healthy this year. I don't mind Poppinga/Chillar if we either use a more aggressive system or have a DL that can absorb some of the offensive linemen.

We obviously need a punter and a whole new approach to special teams. it just didn't work. I like Kapinos so if wins the job fine. We need to have open competition though.

Finally, I'm hopeful that our 1st round pick is someone that can contribute right away; whomever that may be. Unlike most I really don't care what position it is since you never know when you'll need that person. Having said that, I don't want to see a QB, P, or K in the first round. Well, really I don't want to see a K or P in any round but I'm impressed with the Florida St. guy. He really did a number on Bucky.

packrulz
01-01-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't think we honestly need to change very much in order to conquer the problems of this year; injury, conservatism/missed chances, and referee's.

I'd like to see an upgrade at TE. Lee is just okay, nothing spectacular. The acquisition of Tony Gonzalez would really have opened up this offense. Any chance we go after him during the off-season? With KC starting over maybe they'll be open to trading him for picks this time around.

I'd like to see an OL change with Colledge and Jordan Gross at T, Sitton and Barbre at G, and Spitz at C. Carolina can't keep both Peppers and Gross so go get em TT. This line would have potential and could be around for awhile.

We need an upgrade over Jolly at DT whether that means moving Jenkins inside and getting a DE or getting an actual DT I don't care. I like him as a back-up and I'm still not down on Harrell so we could get a nice rotation going. Health for this unit would be imperative.

LB could be improved but I don't think it's imperative. If the DL is fixed the overall defense will greatly improve. I'm worried about Barnett coming back full-speed so that could be a concern and I'm hoping Hawk stays healthy this year. I don't mind Poppinga/Chillar if we either use a more aggressive system or have a DL that can absorb some of the offensive linemen.

We obviously need a punter and a whole new approach to special teams. it just didn't work. I like Kapinos so if wins the job fine. We need to have open competition though.

Finally, I'm hopeful that our 1st round pick is someone that can contribute right away; whomever that may be. Unlike most I really don't care what position it is since you never know when you'll need that person. Having said that, I don't want to see a QB, P, or K in the first round. Well, really I don't want to see a K or P in any round but I'm impressed with the Florida St. guy. He really did a number on Bucky.
I agree, they mostly need a bigger stronger center, (Spitz), and some guys who can hold up for 16 games at tackle, (College & Gross, Moll isn't doing so hot.) )-line was a mess, too much mix and match, no continuity.
On D-line, I hope TT can part with some of that huge wad of cash and make a serious run for Peppers/Haynesworth but knowing him he'll more likely go for Canty/Bernard. I haven't soured on Jolly yet, Kampman is good, Jenkins can be a rotation guy, Thompson showed some promise at DE, get him in the weightroom and the OTA's and develop him. I like the LB's & secondary, they need to pressure the QB more & everyone will look better.
The special teams sucked, the coach should probably be fired, couldn't punt, couldn't kick a field goal, couldn't cover.
I can see drafting a LT in round one, but the draft needs to focus on defense, and spend some money on at least one FA.