PDA

View Full Version : Shannahan FIRED!!!!!!!

red
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
wow, just heard it on espn

sheepshead
12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Teflon Coach?? Holy Smokes!!

Partial
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Wow. Bring him in!!!

red
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
from PFT

THE TEFLON IS GONE
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 5:27 p.m.

Nearly a decade after his last Super Bowl title, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan finally has been held accountable for years of relative mediocrity.

Shanahan, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, has been fired. Shanahan had three years and roughly $20 million remaining on his contract.

The long-time head coach, whose teams won the NFL title after the 1997 and 1998 seasons, assumed full control over the football operation by finagling the termination of G.M. Ted Sundquist, a current PFT contributor.

The move puts the Broncos immediately in play not only for a new head coach, but also for a new G.M.

As we suggested in our most recent Ten-Pack for SportingNews.com, owner Pat Bowlen might try to jump into the bidding for Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, in order to block Pioli from landing in the AFC West with the Chiefs.

Fosco33
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I wish I could get fired and keep $20M for doing nothing...

If I'm him, I don't look for a job for a few years.

red
12-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I wish I could get fired and keep $20M for doing nothing...

If I'm him, I don't look for a job for a few years.

why the hell would he? mooch didn't

he gets that money as long as he doesn't get a new coaching gig

thats everyones dream, to get huge amounts of money for sitting on your ass

thats like winning the lotto, what coach wouldn't want to get fired?

sheepshead
12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
That's why Charlie Weiss still has the same job, in sure. Cheaper to keep him.

Freak Out
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Crazy....never thought I'd see it. The Rat got caught. :lol:

TravisWilliams23
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow. Bring him in!!!

In what capacity? HC, OC, GM.

Nearly a decade after his last Super Bowl title, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan finally has been held accountable for years of relative mediocrity.

I just don't see him being a plus for GB.

Plus, I'm still pissed at him for beating the Pack in the Super Bowl!

Partial
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Shanny is one of the better coaches in the league imo. It takes a long time to recover from the loss of a HOF qb. Especially when you trade picks away annually!

We'll be in that boat soon enough I suspect!

Freak Out
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Shanny is one of the better coaches in the league imo. It takes a long time to recover from the loss of a HOF qb. Especially when you trade picks away annually!

TT would have to hire a body guard. :lol:

sheepshead
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Your posts are just forehead slappers my man.

Iron Mike
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=106871&catid=339

LL2
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow. Bring him in!!!

Not a bad idea...but he would probably have to forfiet some of the 20 mil he gets to keep. Some of the ex head coaches would make great DC and OC and MM should think about the available coaches out there to improve his staff...and it needs some help.

Patler
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Just goes to prove that old saying:

There are only two types of head coaches (or managers):
- those who have been fired; and
- those who will be fired.

red
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow. Bring him in!!!

CHEATED, he cheated to beat us in the superbowl

i hope the son of a bitch burns in hell

highlander
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM

We were in that boat 3 years ago were we not?

Brando19
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Wow. Bring him in!!!

CHEATED, he cheated to beat us in the superbowl

i hope the son of a bitch burns in hell

:lol:

I love your posts, red.

red
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
:thank:

MJZiggy
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM

You're suggesting TT is going to start trading picks away annually? What planet have you been living on the last couple years. Do you have a view of earth from there?

Partial
12-30-2008, 05:56 PM

Your posts are just forehead slappers my man.

How? Shanny took teams to the playoffs frequently, and to the championship game in what like 2004? He's a good coach imo. Not such a good GM.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Refresh my memory on that, red. I don't remember the controversy.

I wonder what the justification was for firing Shanahan. You wouldn't think the owner would just casually toss away $20 million, and three late season games that went the wrong way doesn't seem like enough.

red
12-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Refresh my memory on that, red. I don't remember the controversy.

I wonder what the justification was for firing Shanahan. You wouldn't think the owner would just casually toss away $20 million, and three late season games that went the wrong way doesn't seem like enough.

you must have quoted the wrong post

the controversy was that john elway and terrell davis both took what looked like massive pay cuts in the year they beat us. this allowed the broncos to sign some pretty big free agents that year which helped them win that year, and beat us in the super bowl

the problem is, they didn't really take pay cuts, they just took pay cuts on the nfl books. the owner of the broncos gave them something like ownership of car dealerships or something like that, in return for lower salaries. this is a giant no-no. they got busted on it a few years back somehow and lost numerous draft picks in recent years because of it.

the bottom line is, if the broncos would have followed the rules, they would not have been able to cut elways and davis' cap numbers, they would not have been able to boost their talent level with free agents, and they would not have won 2 superbowls

we were beat by a team that cheated, plain and simple

heres a link just so you don't think its a wacko conspiracy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

red
12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
heres another article on it from the denver post

Shame part of Broncos' shine

By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Staff Columnist

The diamonds in their Super Bowl rings still shine. But the NFL championships won by the Broncos have been tarnished.

After a 20-month investigation, the league ruled Thursday that Denver circumvented salary-cap rules from 1996-98, a crucial period in franchise history when the Broncos won back-to-back world titles and earned taxpayer approval for a new $400 million stadium.

The punishment for the Broncos was a fine of nearly $1 million and forfeiture of a third-round draft choice.

The shame of getting caught should be far greater.

While expressing contrition, franchise owner Pat Bowlen took zero responsibility for the embarrassing transgressions, and claimed the Broncos gained no competitive advantage by persuading players to defer salary at a time he was cash-strapped and pushing hard for construction of a stadium that would line his pockets with fresh money.

That's a cop-out by Bowlen. Denver cheated.

When the Broncos beat Green Bay and Atlanta to win championships in back-to-back seasons, Denver was the best team on the field. But there is also no way to sugarcoat the findings. Along the road to the Super Bowl, the Broncos broke accounting rules.

So why should any fan care?

In a league that prides itself on parity, the salary cap is the single most essential tool to ensure competitive balance.

Hear that ugly cackle? Somewhere, dirty Al Davis must be laughing.

Davis, who owns the Raiders, has long claimed both Denver and San Francisco cheated to win big in the 1990s.

"Those people broke the rules, they circumvented the cap, and they're owners and they cheated," he said in 2000.

Four years later, Davis has reason to feel validated and the Broncos have reason to feel shame. For the second time in three seasons, Denver has been cited for violation of league financial policies.

In essence, the Broncos surreptitiously asked players to defer salary with interest.

Quarterback John Elway and running back Terrell Davis, the two most valuable and expensive stars of the team's glory years, agreed to defer so much money the NFL deemed it unsound business.

If, as Bowlen maintains, his team did not benefit on the scoreboard by bending the rules, then why has the NFL twice hit Denver hard, imposing more than $1.9 million in penalties and stripping the Broncos of two draft picks since 2002?

Of course, this seems a small price to pay for the pleasure of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and raking in the cash from Invesco Field at Mile High.

Fewer than 10 months after the Broncos upset the Packers in Super Bowl XXXII, taxpayers thanked Bowlen by approving a $300 million donation to a new playing facility in a landslide vote. Any voter who believes in fair competition might now wonder who was zooming whom.

This investigation takes nothing away from the bravery of Terrell Davis blindly running to a Super Bowl huddle, his heart beating strong while a migraine momentarily robbed him of sight. The hefty fines levied do not diminish the smile Elway wore as he walked away from football a winner in his final game.

But, as much as it pains me to admit, Al Davis does have a valid point. The Broncos did not win those championships entirely fair and square.

Nobody at NFL headquarters is asking Denver to return the Super Bowl rings. The Broncos, however, should send them back to the jeweler for a little more work.

Those gaudy rings are already loaded with 124 diamonds, 18-karat gold and the phrase "Back 2 Back."

One more item, however, needs to be added:

An asterisk.

red
12-30-2008, 06:47 PM
now, broncos fans will tell you that it had nothing to do with the play on the field and it in no way helped them win

i disagree

while this was going on, the broncos managed to sign bill romanowski in 1996, and neil smaith, keith traylor and Darrien Gordon in 1997

they would not have been able to sign this guys if they had money trouble or the cap space that the cheating cleared up

and without those guys it would have been hard for the broncos to be as good as they were

KYPack
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I've hated the hell out of the Pony's since SB32.

Bye bye, Shanny the Rat

The Broncos suck & so does your profile.

red
12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
LOL, this gets better

one of the main reasons that he got fired was because he refused to fire his defensive coordinator

one bob slowik

retailguy
12-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I've hated the hell out of the Pony's since SB32.

Bye bye, Shanny the Rat

The Broncos suck & so does your profile.

I hate the Broncos more than the Bears. And that's the truth.

KYPack
12-30-2008, 07:11 PM
LOL, this gets better

one of the main reasons that he got fired was because he refused to fire his defensive coordinator

one bob slowik

Sherman will apply for that gig.

He can say, "I'll fire Slowik's ass, no problem!"

packers11
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
pft.com

SHANAHAN HAS SOMETHING UP HIS SLEEVE?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 7:51 p.m.

The immediate speculation in some league circles when word broke of the termination of long-time Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is that Shanahan has something else cooking, and that he forced his firing by refusing to agree to changes that owner Pat Bowlen wants to make.

According to Jeff Legwold of the Rocky Mountain News, part of that speculation is right on the money.

Per Legwold, Shanahan was fired because he refused to fire defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, whose unit surrendered 52 points in a Week Seventeen loss to the Chargers.

Said Bowlen, in a release issued by the team: “After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos. This is certainly a difficult decision, but one that I feel must be made and which will ultimately be in the best interests of all concerned.

“I appreciate the 21 years that Mike Shanahan has given to the organization as an assistant and head coach, and the two Super Bowl wins in that time. His contributions hold a special place in Broncos history.”

So if Shanahan wanted to get out of town because he has something else cooking, what might it be?

Believe it or not, there’s speculation that Shanahan is trying to position himself for the Chargers job.

What’s that, you say? The Chargers are in the playoffs and they’ve made it clear that Norv Turner is coming back as head coach?

That was our reaction, too. But a highly-placed league source suspects that something is happening with Shanahan and San Diego.

In our book, it’s almost as unlikely as Shanahan coaching the Raiders. But we’ll continue to keep our eyes peeled on this one.

gbgary
12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
wow, just heard it on espn

whodathunkit?!

Fritz
12-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Good god, Partial, aren't you one of the ones bitching about TT trading down and always wanting more picks?

And why would you want Shanahan here? To do what?

retailguy
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Good god, Partial, aren't you one of the ones bitching about TT trading down and always wanting more picks?

Rehire Bob Slowik. :wink:

SkinBasket
12-30-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm seriously considering the possibility that Partial is an undiagnosed diabetic who likes to post when he's having lows. There aren't many other options left other than just being totally mentally retarded. While his football throwing skills would certainly support the later of the two arguments, he seemed relatively coherent the last time I saw him, which points back to the former. I would start a poll, but that seems rude.

Guiness
12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Wow. Bring him in!!!

In what capacity? HC, OC, GM.

I just don't see him being a plus for GB.

A decade after a pair of Super Bowl titles the franchise cheated their ass off to get.

I dunno - maybe they win them anyways, but you have to know they're tarnished.

Partial
12-31-2008, 01:05 AM

I do not bitch about tt trading down. I think he has done a pretty goos job drafting and has fortified our roster with talent.

I'm not certain MM is the man for the job. His team has underachieved this year despite a boatload of young talent.

With that said, I think Shanny is a good coach but a poor GM

channtheman
12-31-2008, 02:05 AM
Partial is one of the best trolls I've ever seen. He takes the dumbest view of everything and never gives up, all while appearing to still be a Packer fan.

cpk1994
12-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Partial is one of the best trolls I've ever seen. He takes the dumbest view of everything and never gives up, all while appearing to still be a Packer fan. :lol:

sheepshead
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Partial is one of the best trolls I've ever seen. He takes the dumbest view of everything and never gives up, all while appearing to still be a Packer fan.

As I said--just a forehead slapper.

Partial
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM

Is this necessary? Troll? Hardly. I'm consistent in my views and unafraid to comit to something. STFU with the troll stuff. I've been here as long as just about anybody, and have put up more quality posts than you have total.

Dumbest views? We'll see. Am I not entitled to think that Shanny is a good coach? Is that dumb? How exactly is that dumb? I'd appreciate a breakdown of this, because anybody who has been to 3 championship games in my opinion clearly knows what they are doing as a coach.

As a GM, that's a different story. Maurice Clarette in the third comes to mind.

BallHawk
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I've been here as long as just about anybody, and have put up more quality posts than you have total.

Partial, you have 27 times the amount of posts that he does.....