PDA

View Full Version : RANKING what went wrong this season

cheesner
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Why we did so poorly:

1. Defensive coaching: There were too many mental errors and let downs late in games. This, I believe, is a coaching issue. This unit should have been in the top 5 in the NFL, even with the injuries they should have been top 10.

2. Special teams: Lack of field posiiton hurt on more than one occassion. The poor punting with Frost may have cost us 2 games this season.

3. Atari Bigby: Can't help but think that he is more important than most realize. When Bob Sanders is out the Indy D is noticibly worse in both the run and the pass. The defense was not playing great last year until Bigby was inserted into the starters.

4. Cullen Jenkins: He was starting off the season very strong. The impact of his departure was huge. Teams could concentrate on blocking Kampmann and run much easier with him out. Recall 2 years ago when CJ replace KGB and the run defense improved immensly.

5. Lack of depth on DL: Lack of development of Harrell, Pickett regressing, and loss of Williams took its toll.

6. AJ Hawk: I am hoping it was his injury that slowed his production this year. I was expecting much more from him.

7. OT Drop off: Interesting my only offense issue. I think the line would have been good enough this season but we didn't see that.

How do we correct the above?

1. Sign DT in FA. DTs take too long to develop to hope to get some help in the draft. Who was that DT that went high last year and was touted as the top player in the draft by some? The fact that I can't even remember his name is rather telling.

2. Draft some DL and OL on the first day. We need depth on DL to develop and a starter on OL.

3. Replace the defensive coordinator. He needs to go. I was never excited about the guy, I think he was riding Bate's coattails. Is Bates available? I would bring him back. The defense needs his fire and adaptability to bring the best out of the players we have.

Stock is safe. Although the ST was poor this season, I think a big part was the Punter (not his fault) and the loss of White (not his fault). I thought he did very well last season and deserves another shot.

cpk1994
12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Why we did so poorly:

1. Defensive coaching: There were too many mental errors and let downs late in games. This, I believe, is a coaching issue. This unit should have been in the top 5 in the NFL, even with the injuries they should have been top 10.

2. Special teams: Lack of field posiiton hurt on more than one occassion. The poor punting with Frost may have cost us 2 games this season.

3. Atari Bigby: Can't help but think that he is more important than most realize. When Bob Sanders is out the Indy D is noticibly worse in both the run and the pass. The defense was not playing great last year until Bigby was inserted into the starters.

4. Cullen Jenkins: He was starting off the season very strong. The impact of his departure was huge. Teams could concentrate on blocking Kampmann and run much easier with him out. Recall 2 years ago when CJ replace KGB and the run defense improved immensly.

5. Lack of depth on DL: Lack of development of Harrell, Pickett regressing, and loss of Williams took its toll.

6. AJ Hawk: I am hoping it was his injury that slowed his production this year. I was expecting much more from him.

7. OT Drop off: Interesting my only offense issue. I think the line would have been good enough this season but we didn't see that.

How do we correct the above?

1. Sign DT in FA. DTs take too long to develop to hope to get some help in the draft. Who was that DT that went high last year and was touted as the top player in the draft by some? The fact that I can't even remember his name is rather telling.

2. Draft some DL and OL on the first day. We need depth on DL to develop and a starter on OL.

3. Replace the defensive coordinator. He needs to go. I was never excited about the guy, I think he was riding Bate's coattails. Is Bates available? I would bring him back. The defense needs his fire and adaptability to bring the best out of the players we have.

Stock is safe. Although the ST was poor this season, I think a big part was the Punter (not his fault) and the loss of White (not his fault). I thought he did very well last season and deserves another shot.

How is the punter not his fault? By most reasoning, Stock was the one that lobbied hard to bring Frost in. That one is most definitley on Stock. He should be fired.

cheesner
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
How is the punter not his fault? By most reasoning, Stock was the one that lobbied hard to bring Frost in. That one is most definitley on Stock. He should be fired.
Good point. But I look at it as signing and cutting players is entirely TT's responsibility. I hang this almost entirely on his head. If Stock pushed hard for Frost, that is an issue, but TT has the final say on these matters.