PDA

View Full Version : And The Saga Continues...

Kyle.McCarroll
01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804004

Jones: Favre's play warranted benching

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in an interview Tuesday with New York Hot 97 FM. Favre threw three interceptions in the Jets' season-ending 24-17 loss to Miami that clinched the AFC East for the Dolphins.

"The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality," Jones told the radio station. "If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality. ... I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones told Hot 97 FM. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team. So when you get to the wire and somebody is just giving the game up, I mean, it's just not [fair]."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spfavre015983994jan01,0,2093794.story

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him," a Jets player told Newsday yesterday. He requested anonymity because team owner Woody Johnson has stated publicly that Favre is welcome to return next season if he wants to. (Favre reportedly will take until the end of February to decide about returning.)

The 39-year-old quarterback is not as welcome with his teammates, according to this veteran. After the Jets traded for Favre Aug. 6, the sure Hall of Famer made no effort to ingratiate himself with the already assembled team, the veteran said. He said Favre spent most of his down time at the practice facility in an office specially designated for him near the equipment room, not with teammates in the locker room, even after the media departed.

"He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone," the player said. Asked to describe Favre in a word, he said: "Distant."

On Monday, Kerry Rhodes said: "If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it. But don't come back if it's going to be halfhearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

A foxsports.com report Sunday said Favre wasn't happy being called out by Eric Mangini in front of the team, as the coach did with all of his players when they made mistakes. But the Jet who requested anonymity said that didn't seem to be the case.

"If [Favre] was hurt by that stuff, I'd be shocked, because Eric barely said anything to him," the player said. "Guys would be getting called out for missed assignments or blown coverages, and Brett would have three picks and no one would say a word."

Mangini addressed the team for the last time Monday. The player said the former coach revealed a much different side than he showed before, telling players he'd been tough and aloof only to get the most out of them.

According to the player - and he was backed by very supportive comments about Mangini from other Jets - very few in the room thought Mangini deserved to be fired, and that the acquisition of Favre and his subsequent "me-first" attitude hurt the Jets more than anything.

"Eric," he said, "wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs."

packinpatland
01-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Put this in the Favre section where it belongs.

Bretsky
01-01-2009, 10:45 AM
interesting but not surprising

he's earned nothing with the Jets; no free passes from players or from the media. Part of me thinks he will come back so it doesn't all end like it did in 2008

pbmax
01-01-2009, 11:24 AM

he's earned nothing with the Jets; no free passes from players or from the media. Part of me thinks he will come back so it doesn't all end like it did in 2008
B, hasn't it been ending like this for some time? Not to incite a riot, but seriously, when was the last time he was playing his best football at the end of the season? Even the fast finish in the final four games of McCarthy's first year saw him throw 3 TDs and 6 INTs.

MJZiggy
01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Many have seen what you speak of; if you want a real riot, post it on a jets board and watch them explode...

Bretsky
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM

B, hasn't it been ending like this for some time? Not to incite a riot, but seriously, when was the last time he was playing his best football at the end of the season? Even the fast finish in the final four games of McCarthy's first year saw him throw 3 TDs and 6 INTs.

Ya, good point

There is only one good ending and his best change to win a SB was to hang around Green Bay for a few more years

Actually his good time to bow out was when he almost did

Oh well, we got a 3rd rounder out of it

TennesseePackerBacker
01-01-2009, 12:28 PM
All you have to do is post the picture of the last play of the NFC Championship game and Jets fans will sadly shake their heads. I wonder if A-rod would've forced that pass, or hit the open safety valve for a good 10+.

gex
01-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Move this shit to the Favre thread or Garbage can! :x

Bretsky
01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
All you have to do is post the picture of the last play of the NFC Championship game and Jets fans will sadly shake their heads. I wonder if A-rod would've forced that pass, or hit the open safety valve for a good 10+.

You follow the Volunteers ?

Is Justin Harrell ever going to be anything but horseshit for the Packers ?

Just curious as to your thoughts.

bobblehead
01-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Kinda hurts when the players are countering every arguement you BF worshippers made all year huh??

Welcome to the real world Brett...where you are actually held accountable.

I'm not trying to rub salt in this, but honestly, JH is looking pretty smart right now huh Gex??

The Shadow
01-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Move this shit to the ,,,,Garbage can! :x

Is this another direct Thomas Jones quote?

cpk1994
01-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Kinda hurts when the players are countering every arguement you BF worshippers made all year huh??

I'm not trying to rub salt in this, but honestly, JH is looking pretty smart right now huh Gex??I thought McCarthy ddid a good job on that front. Obviously he didn't take to the extreme that Mangini alledgedly had. Seeing this happen takes me back to when BRett threatend to retire if SHerman was canned. I think I'm beginning to see a clearer picture of why he made that threat.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-01-2009, 01:12 PM

You follow the Volunteers ?

Is Justin Harrell ever going to be anything but horseshit for the Packers ?

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Yea I go to a lot of the games, pretty big fan. I was excited about the Harrell pick beacause he was an absolute beast when healthy. However, what has carried over is the injuries. I'm pretty sure he missed time in high school, and I know he missed several games in college.

The fact is, a lot of the coaches for Tennessee remarked that Harrell was one of the best DT's ever to play for them. That's pretty high praise considering the company.

Edit: One thing I forgot, there was also a reason he wore #92 at Tennessee, no small honor.

mission
01-01-2009, 01:16 PM

I'm not trying to rub salt in this, but honestly, JH is looking pretty smart right now huh Gex??

And me, thanks :oops: :lol:

ND72
01-01-2009, 01:48 PM
This is the truth unfortunately behind the man. Stuff like this (the "distance" Favre makes) has been reported for a few years out of GB. Favre lovers don't want to hear it, but it is the truth. Favre loved Sherman, because Sherman never held him accountable for his mistakes, when he really should have held him big time. It was the down fall of Ray Rhodes as well.

The Shadow
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
This is the truth unfortunately behind the man. Stuff like this (the "distance" Favre makes) has been reported for a few years out of GB. Favre lovers don't want to hear it, but it is the truth. Favre loved Sherman, because Sherman never held him accountable for his mistakes, when he really should have held him big time. It was the down fall of Ray Rhodes as well.

"Coach Killer"?

ND72
01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I had a feeling that was coming up...but I don't think he's a Coach Killer.

cpk1994
01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
This is the truth unfortunately behind the man. Stuff like this (the "distance" Favre makes) has been reported for a few years out of GB. Favre lovers don't want to hear it, but it is the truth. Favre loved Sherman, because Sherman never held him accountable for his mistakes, when he really should have held him big time. It was the down fall of Ray Rhodes as well.The downfall of Rhodes wasn't becuase of Not holding Favre accountable per se. Its that he held NOBODY accountable to the point that the supposed veteran leaders didn't feel the need to lead in the locker room.

ND72
01-01-2009, 01:52 PM
This is the truth unfortunately behind the man. Stuff like this (the "distance" Favre makes) has been reported for a few years out of GB. Favre lovers don't want to hear it, but it is the truth. Favre loved Sherman, because Sherman never held him accountable for his mistakes, when he really should have held him big time. It was the down fall of Ray Rhodes as well.The downfall of Rhodes wasn't becuase of Not holding Favre accountable per se. Its that he held NOBODY accountable to the point that the supposed veteran leaders didn't feel the need to lead in the locker room.

agreed...I was just refering to the Favre side of things, my mistake.

Patler
01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Yea I go to a lot of the games, pretty big fan. I was excited about the Harrell pick beacause he was an absolute beast when healthy. However, what has carried over is the injuries. I'm pretty sure he missed time in high school, and I know he missed several games in college.

The fact is, a lot of the coaches for Tennessee remarked that Harrell was one of the best DT's ever to play for them. That's pretty high praise considering the company.

Edit: One thing I forgot, there was also a reason he wore #92 at Tennessee, no small honor.

Did I hear correctly that he was the first to wear #92 since White left?

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Where is the FAvre section? I thought I was sitting in the upper deck. Hope we don't get into any unpleasant chanting wars, "Favre section sucks!"

ESPN is scrolling nasty remarks about Favre at the bottom of the screen during the News Years Day bowl games. Ridiculous - how are some tabloid remarks breaking news? I guess ESPN doesn't need Favre anymore and is turning against their old friend.

packinpatland
01-01-2009, 02:35 PM
"While the Jets hoped to woo Bill Cowher with a boatload of money, the marriage appeared to be unlikely from the outset. Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback, and that he also wanted to bring in people he was familiar with to handle personnel. A source familiar with Cowher's thinking said before last night's decision came down that the former Steeler boss would have to receive assurances from the Jets that the 39-year-old Favre no longer was in the picture before agreeing to take control. "There's no way he's taking Brett Favre as his quarterback," said one person close to Cowher. -- NY Post "

Good responsible reporting........."a source familiar with Cowher's thinking".
May very well be true.....but for gosh sakes, sounds weird.

cpk1994
01-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Where is the FAvre section? I thought I was sitting in the upper deck. Hope we don't get into any unpleasant chanting wars, "Favre section sucks!"

ESPN is scrolling nasty remarks about Favre at the bottom of the screen during the News Years Day bowl games. Ridiculous - how are some tabloid remarks breaking news? I guess ESPN doesn't need Favre anymore and is turning against their old friend.Looks like whoever is in charge of the bottom scroll will be recieveing a pink slip by the end of the day. :lol:

Partial
01-01-2009, 03:06 PM

As I dissected in the other thread with the picture, it is 100% impossible to tell what is going on as the momentum and continued rush from players after the ball was released changes what passing lanes were open.

Rastak
01-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Or throw it over his head....how could anyone know?

vince
01-02-2009, 05:20 AM
An offseason after Favre publicly and classlessly assassinted the character of Ted Thompson and James Campen in interviews heard around the world, these otherwise uncalled-for comments by a teammate are a fitting twist of irony here.

It's still hard for me to to believe the depths to which he stooped when he was no longer served the world on a plate.

packrulz
01-02-2009, 06:15 AM

As I dissected in the other thread with the picture, it is 100% impossible to tell what is going on as the momentum and continued rush from players after the ball was released changes what passing lanes were open.
I saw Favre in person a couple times, one game in particular Donald Lee was in the end zone frantically waving his arms because he was wide open, but Favre threw to Driver, who was double covered, and was picked off. WTF? I've seen him thread the needle into coverage many times too but he needs to read defenses better. I saw him in person too, he was pretty stuck up, he could put more effort into being friendly. He was dynamic and fun to watch, a first ballot HOF'er, but he should've stayed retired, he's uncoachable.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
"While the Jets hoped to woo Bill Cowher with a boatload of money, the marriage appeared to be unlikely from the outset. Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback, and that he also wanted to bring in people he was familiar with to handle personnel. A source familiar with Cowher's thinking said before last night's decision came down that the former Steeler boss would have to receive assurances from the Jets that the 39-year-old Favre no longer was in the picture before agreeing to take control. "There's no way he's taking Brett Favre as his quarterback," said one person close to Cowher. -- NY Post "

This is a good point. So, since I read Pacerrats all the time, I would say that I'm familiar with, say, Partial's thinking...so if I tell this whole board what Partial would think about any given subject, does that mean it's true??

I doubt Partial, or anyone would like that. This is just the media trying to pile on and make a story bigger. It's creating news. Sure, some Jets guys are P.O.'d at Favre, but now the NY media is trying to make it seem like everybody hates Brett Favre.

Ask about twenty or so teams in the NFL if they'd like to have Brett Favre next year. Pretty sure they'd say yes. And I bet the Queens are one of them.

sheepshead
01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I really think Brett just misses us.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Sheep, I'm calling for Favre to be traded to the Vikings this offseason some time.

My big prediction.

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Sheep, I'm calling for Favre to be traded to the Vikings this offseason some time.

My big prediction.I think you would be wrong. The end of this season shows that Childress is driving the the Tavaius Jackson bandwagon again. No way do they touch a 40 year old Favre with a 10 ft pole.

The Shadow
01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
An offseason after Favre publicly and classlessly assassinted the character of Ted Thompson and James Campen in interviews heard around the world, these otherwise uncalled-for comments by a teammate are a fitting twist of irony here.

It's still hard for me to to believe the depths to which he stooped when he was no longer served the world on a plate.

Payback is a bitch, isn't it?

prsnfoto
01-02-2009, 08:59 AM

This is a good point. So, since I read Pacerrats all the time, I would say that I'm familiar with, say, Partial's thinking...so if I tell this whole board what Partial would think about any given subject, does that mean it's true??

I doubt Partial, or anyone would like that. This is just the media trying to pile on and make a story bigger. It's creating news. Sure, some Jets guys are P.O.'d at Favre, but now the NY media is trying to make it seem like everybody hates Brett Favre.

Ask about twenty or so teams in the NFL if they'd like to have Brett Favre next year. Pretty sure they'd say yes. And I bet the Queens are one of them.

There lies the problem if the Jets release him and he goes to Minnesota even if it does not involve a trade the Pack gets 3-1st rounders or at least a source familar with TT thinking has reported. And to all the Brett is so selfish crowd the JETS got exactly what they wanted they sold advertising at an all-time high, they sold jerseys at not just a JETS all-time high but the NFL all-time high, they sold PSL's in a bad economy. He made them 10's of millions of dollars. Who really used who?

Zool
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
What this thread needs is drunken pig man.

http://pix.playground.ru/download/gallery/237390/2420b3f077fabc64b39d9a79a156a83d.jpg

The Shadow
01-02-2009, 09:21 AM

There lies the problem if the Jets release him and he goes to Minnesota even if it does not involve a trade the Pack gets 3-1st rounders or at least a source familar with TT thinking has reported. And to all the Brett is so selfish crowd the JETS got exactly what they wanted they sold advertising at an all-time high, they sold jerseys at not just a JETS all-time high but the NFL all-time high, they sold PSL's in a bad economy. He made them 10's of millions of dollars. Who really used who?

Well,
1. The Packers got rid of a problem.
2. The Packers picked up a draft choice.
3. The Jets now have an infuriated fan base + a lost draft choice.
4. The Jet's coach lost his job, meaning a new coach will have to start over again.
5. The Jet's team chemistry is now fractured.
6. Brett Favre tarnished - again - his reputation.

Ummmm....let's see....
I think the Green Bay Packers played the Jets like a violin.

Spaulding
01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
What this thread needs is drunken pig man.

http://pix.playground.ru/download/gallery/237390/2420b3f077fabc64b39d9a79a156a83d.jpg

WTF is that? I think I'm temporarily blind.

Does look a tad like a budding Bears fan though :D

GBRulz
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
I saw him in person too, he was pretty stuck up, he could put more effort into being friendly.

I really hate when people say things like this about any player not named Mark Chmura. I mean, what are you basing your opinion on?

It just irks me when people approach the players about something and if they don't comply, they are labeled as stuck up or a-holes.

Just a couple weeks ago I was walking over to the Pro Shop and on my way over, I saw about 4 people standing outside the gated entrance to where the players park. Rodgers went by in his pick up and didn't stop. One of the people said "god, what an @sshole". I'm thinking "bitch, you don't even know Aaron, STFU". The same breed of tourist who will not think twice about approaching a player on their private time and then call them rude because they don't sign your autograph. :roll:

Fritz
01-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Prsn, I'm thinking you're playing off the whole "a person close to so-and-so-' thinking" thing. I'm sure you know that if a team releases a player a former team can't get any compensation. I also think it highly unlikely that the Pack could dictate to whom the Jets could trade Favre. Not impossible, I suppose, but highly unlikely.

As for Chilly being on the Jackson bandwagon, that's one bandwagon Chilly has jumped on and off of for a couple of years now.

prsnfoto
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Well,
1. The Packers got rid of a problem. Ya he was a total asshole worse than Micheal Vick.
2. The Packers picked up a draft choice. I am sure TT will draft a future HOF'er with that.
3. The Jets now have an infuriated fan base + a lost draft choice. Why they were 4-12 last year are they as dumb as you?
4. The Jet's coach lost his job, meaning a new coach will have to start over again. Did even watch him this year he is actually worse than MM that means he is below average for the slow ones in the forum.
5. The Jet's team chemistry is now fractured. Could be, but they didn't have any last year either.
6. Brett Favre tarnished - again - his reputation. I think he can take the perception of morons in stride and he will be just fine.

Ummmm....let's see....

I was talking about the Jets used Brett to get what they wanted. But if you want to talk about the Packers they found out they have a pretty good QB and went 6-10. Who is the real failure, come on, I hear the dust bunnies churning in your noggin, let me help the not so bright posters like you, IT IS FUCKING TWINKLE TOES THOMPSON.

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Prsn, I'm thinking you're playing off the whole "a person close to so-and-so-' thinking" thing. I'm sure you know that if a team releases a player a former team can't get any compensation. I also think it highly unlikely that the Pack could dictate to whom the Jets could trade Favre. Not impossible, I suppose, but highly unlikely.

As for Chilly being on the Jackson bandwagon, that's one bandwagon Chilly has jumped on and off of for a couple of years now.That is true, but with the way that Jackson has played at eh end of this season and leading them to the division title, that means Childress should be on thew bandwagon through the offseason which would eliminate any need to get Favre.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Mmm...I don't know. If Jackson throws a couple of picks and misses a few wide open receivers against Philly, you know there will be a whole offseason for Chilly to ruminate and the fans to grumble and wonder.

Plus there's the added bonus of feeling somehow like you're sticking it to the Pack.

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Mmm...I don't know. If Jackson throws a couple of picks and misses a few wide open receivers against Philly, you know there will be a whole offseason for Chilly to ruminate and the fans to grumble and wonder.

Plus there's the added bonus of feeling somehow like you're sticking it to the Pack.But then he has to deal with a fanbase that mostly wants no part of Favre on the Vikings. A fanbase which already hates Chilly's guts. Chilly doesn't need to have any more gas put on that fire.

prsnfoto
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM

As for Chilly being on the Jackson bandwagon, that's one bandwagon Chilly has jumped on and off of for a couple of years now.

Jets acquire Favre from Packers for conditional draft pick

NFL.com Wire Reports

EDITOR'S NOTE: NFL.com will stream live the New York Jets' press conference today in Cleveland, scheduled for 6 p.m. ET and featuring Brett Favre, Jets Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum.
Steve Coleman/Associated Press
Brett Favre was all smiles on Thursday as he headed to New Jersey after being traded to the New York Jets.

After 16 seasons, several NFL passing records and a Super Bowl title, the Brett Favre era in Green Bay -- and the drawn-out saga that came along with an offseason of contentious talks after his unretirement -- finally came to an end early Thursday morning.

The Packers traded the future Hall of Fame quarterback to the New York Jets for a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2009, NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports.
New jersey
Brett Favre isn't the first player with Hall of Fame credentials to switch teams near the end of his career. Some others:
Player Team Years Final team Year(s)
Emmitt Smith Cowboys 1990-'02 Cardinals 2003-04
Andre Reed Bills 1985-'99 Redskins 2000
Thurman Thomas Bills 1988-'99 Dolphins 2000
Joe Montana 49ers 1979-'92 Chiefs 1993-94
Mike Webster Steelers 1974-'88 Chiefs 1989-90
Tony Dorsett Cowboys 1977-'87 Broncos 1988
Earl Campbell Oilers 1978-'84 Saints 1984-85
Franco Harris Steelers 1972-'83 Seahawks 1984
O.J. Simpson Bills 1969-'77 49ers 1978-79
Joe Namath Jets 1965-'76 Rams 1977
Johnny Unitas Colts 1956-'72 Chargers 1973
Norm Van Brocklin Rams 1949-'57 Eagles 1958-60
» Photos: Off-color curtain calls

"This has been awesome," Favre said in his first public comments on Thursday shortly after landing in Morristown, N.J., with his wife Deanna and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Favre is expected to tour the Jets' facility on Thursday, according to Schefter. Favre told the Jets he wanted to make the trip to Cleveland, where the Jets face the Browns on Thursday night, to meet his new teammates. The team wasn't planning on him going initially, but Favre insisted.

Favre will be at the Jets' press conference at 6 p.m. ET Thursday in Cleveland featuring Tannenbaum and Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson.

The draft pick traded for Favre turns into a third-round selection if he plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

Schefter reports if Favre were to retire after the first year and the Packers got the Jets' first-round pick, then the Packers would send the Jets a fifth-round pick in 2010. If the Packers get the Jets' second-round pick, the Jets would get back the Packers' sixth-round pick in 2010. If the Packers get the Jets' third-round pick, the Jets would get back the Packers' seventh-round pick in 2010. Additionally, in the scenario in which the Packers would get the Jets' first-round pick, Favre must play in at least 50 percent of one playoff game for Green Bay to get that compensation.

Schefter also reports that the Packers took great pains to ensure Favre would not be traded to the Vikings -- or any other NFC North team -- by inserting a "poison pill" in the deal. If Favre were to be traded to any team in the Packers' division, the Jets would have to surrender three first-round picks to Green Bay. The trade also includes provisions preventing a trade to another team if that new team were to trade him to the NFC North.

Schefter reports Favre's contract, scheduled to pay him $12 million in base salary this season, will stand. It will not be renegotiated, though Favre's agent, Bus Cook, requested more.

It was once thought unthinkable that the Packers would trade Favre, the holder of almost every meaningful passing record in the NFL. But the events over the last month, and especially over the last few days, forced the issue. In fact, it seemed the only resolution to what turned into a bitter divorce.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," said Jets Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said in a statement. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible team on the field.

"Mike Tannenbaum and his football administration staff did a great job of navigating this complex process. I am excited about welcoming Brett, Deanna and their family to the Jets organization."

The Packers had been talking with the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers since deciding earlier this week that the team and the three-time MVP couldn't co-exist.

The Packers decided to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback after Favre announced his retirement in March. Given their commitment to Rodgers, team officials weren't particularly receptive when Favre decided a little over a month ago that he might want to play after all -- the latest development in several years' worth of flip-flopping about his football future.

"Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state," Green Bay officials said in a statement.
/widgets/custom/packages/favre_latest.html did not create a valid page to decorate.

"It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible."

"We just felt like this was an opportunity to go get somebody of Brett's stature and what he's accomplished," Tannenbaum, the Jets general manager said during a conference call early Thursday morning. "We felt it was in the best interest of the team and when the opportunity presented itself, we felt it was the right move for us to make and we went ahead and did it."

A number of fans made it clear throughout training camp that they wanted Favre on the Jets with signs and "Get Brett!" chants. Favre's new No. 4 Jets jersey already was for sale on the team's Web site about an hour after the trade was announced.

Tannenbaum, who said he had a "good" conversation with Favre, wouldn't speculate whether the quarterback will play in New York beyond this season.

"We had discussions with him and his agent, Bus Cook," Tannenbaum said, "and we're going into this and we're going to take this one year at a time and we're excited to have Brett on the team this year."

The arrival of Favre signals the end of Chad Pennington's career with the Jets. Schefter reports the Jets are chartering a private plane for Pennington to fly out of Cleveland on Thursday; he will be released at 4 p.m.

"It's a bittersweet moment for us," Tannenbaum said. "I have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person, as a player. We've accomplished a lot of good things with Chad ... He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he's done."

Favre left Green Bay on Wednesday, boarding a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss., at 1:25 p.m. EDT with his wife, Deanna, and Cook. Favre's family home is near Hattiesburg.
The immortal 15
The Jets have had 15 different starting quarterbacks since the day Brett Favre made his first start for the Packers on Sept. 27, 1992. While Favre accumulated a record 160 wins, the Jets' starters in that time combined for 113 wins. Here's a breakdown:
Player Record Pct.
Vinny Testaverde 35-26 .574
Chad Pennington 32-29 .525
Boomer Esiason 15-27 .357
Neil O'Donnell 8-12 .400
Ray Lucas 6-3 .667
Kellen Clemens 3-5 .375
Browning Nagle 3-8 .273
Quincy Carter 2-1 ..667
Rick Mirer 2-4 .333
Brooks Bollinger 2-7 .222
Jack Trudeau 1-1 .500
Ken O'Brien 1-1 .500
Bubby Brister 1-3 .250
Frank Reich 1-6 .143
Glenn Foley 1-7 .125
Totals: 113-140 .447

In Mississippi, Favre confirmed that he was considering the Jets and Buccaneers.

The 38-year-old Favre holds most major NFL passing records and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game last season, where they lost to the New York Giants. But Favre threw what would prove to be the decisive interception in overtime.

The Jets went into training camp with an open competition between Pennington and Kellen Clemens after neither established themselves during a 4-12 season. Pennington was 1-7 as the starter and was benched midway through the season. Clemens went 3-5, but Pennington actually had the better season statistically.

After some hope for reconciliation between the franchise and perhaps its most beloved player earlier this week, the final split between the Packers and Favre became obvious Tuesday evening.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters on Tuesday that after approximately six hours of what he called "brutally honest" conversations over two days, the coach had determined that Favre doesn't have the right mind-set to play for the Packers.

McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks -- even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table.

"The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want," McCarthy said Tuesday. "He needs to jump on the train and let's go. Or, if we can't get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving."

McCarthy spoke to Favre again Tuesday night, but there was no indication that their conversation did anything to change the fractured relationship between Favre and the franchise.

"It was just very general," McCarthy said of the conversation with Favre, who was excused from practice on Wednesday. "Just how he was doing, where he was with the process, things like that."

McCarthy said he was happy the rest of his players were getting a chance to move forward.

"We talked about it last night," McCarthy said. "The players want resolution, they want what everybody wants. To come out here every day and talk about somebody that is not here and then shows up, it's gone on too long, and understandably so. They want to play football."

Doesn't talk about release but if they can't trade to a team who trades him I would not be surprised if there is some provision.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks, prsn. So maybe the Jets can't trade him to the NFC North, after all. Good.

The whole league seems to be turning against Favre, which I did not think was happening. I thought the media was blowing it up, and I still do to some extent. However, check out this quote from an NFL GM which came at the end of an article on Favre and the Jets' players reactions to him:

"I want (Favre) out of the building before I get there," one general manager told The Daily News in analyzing the thought process of prospective coaches. "He's finished. You can read Mangini's body language: 'We can't control him. He will not follow. He's undisciplined. Belligerent.'

That's a heavy duty statement. I don't necessarily think it's true, but it's a heavy duty thing for an NFL GM to say.

GBRulz
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Plus there's the added bonus of feeling somehow like you're sticking it to the Pack.But then he has to deal with a fanbase that mostly wants no part of Favre on the Vikings. A fanbase which already hates Chilly's guts. Chilly doesn't need to have any more gas put on that fire.

Oh so now we're looking out for the best interest of Chilly? :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM

If you mean as a starter, then I don't think the number is that high.

Buffalo - Maybe. It depends on what they think of Trent Edwards long-term.
Cincinnati - Maybe. It depends on whether Carson Palmer comes back healthy.
Tennessee - Perhaps.
Kansas City - Unlikely. Rebuilding mode, and Tyler Thigpen showed some promise.
Chicago - Yes.
Detroit - Yes.
Minnesota - Maybe. It depends on what they think about Tarvaris Jackson's future.
Tampa Bay - Probably.
San Francisco - Yes.

That makes it about 9 teams--with only 4 teams as very likely to want Favre.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM

My big prediction.

Hopefully, the Jets do trade him to Minnesota, Chicago, or Detroit.
:D

Schefter also reports that the Packers took great pains to ensure Favre would not be traded to the Vikings -- or any other NFC North team -- by inserting a "poison pill" in the deal. If Favre were to be traded to any team in the Packers' division, the Jets would have to surrender three first-round picks to Green Bay. The trade also includes provisions preventing a trade to another team if that new team were to trade him to the NFC North.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I saw him in person too, he was pretty stuck up, he could put more effort into being friendly.

I really hate when people say things like this about any player not named Mark Chmura. I mean, what are you basing your opinion on?

Agreed.

sheepshead
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM

My big prediction.

YOu ahve to think he's out of NYC one way or another. But who knows with this guy anymore.

sheepshead
01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks, prsn. So maybe the Jets can't trade him to the NFC North, after all. Good.

The whole league seems to be turning against Favre, which I did not think was happening. I thought the media was blowing it up, and I still do to some extent. However, check out this quote from an NFL GM which came at the end of an article on Favre and the Jets' players reactions to him:

"I want (Favre) out of the building before I get there," one general manager told The Daily News in analyzing the thought process of prospective coaches. "He's finished. You can read Mangini's body language: 'We can't control him. He will not follow. He's undisciplined. Belligerent.'

That's a heavy duty statement. I don't necessarily think it's true, but it's a heavy duty thing for an NFL GM to say.

wow.

prsnfoto
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM

I agree to some extent he will never not take chances he needs to play in a system with great WR's which he had at the end with GB(because his arm is diminishing) or a team like Tennessee where he doesn't hardly ever have to force anything. Phil Sim's said during the loss to the Dolphins that he had looked at the last 6 Jets games and he felt the Jets WR's were terrible between getting no seperation and dropped passes he felt Brett was forcing throws to make something happen and he simply doesn't have the arm to do that anymore. The arm thing says a lot to me the way they are talking he can rehab it and it will heal on its own or have it scoped and fixed for good. Could it be the last 4-5 years this is exactly what has happened at the end of the season it heals and is re-injured during the season. If that is the case he should have been sat down this year and the Packers should have caught it in previous seasons, just a thought.

The Shadow
01-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Well,
1. The Packers got rid of a problem. Ya he was a total asshole worse than Micheal Vick. Vick mistreated dogs. Favre apparently treats teammates like dogs.
2. The Packers picked up a draft choice. I am sure TT will draft a future HOF'er with that. How do you know he won't?
3. The Jets now have an infuriated fan base + a lost draft choice. Why they were 4-12 last year are they as dumb as you? Well, if they are as dumb as me (instead of a genius like yourself), they are probably mad as hell that their team is going backwards, they lost a draft choice, they let an excellent Pennington go to acquire a washed-up quarterback, they frittered away a playoff berth, the qb they let walk led his team TO the playoffs, their lockerroom morale is in the toilet, and they now must bring in a new head coach to start over.
4. The Jet's coach lost his job, meaning a new coach will have to start over again. Did even watch him this year he is actually worse than MM that means he is below average for the slow ones in the forum. First of all, you really MUST watch those sentence fragments! Now then : are you suggesting that Favre is actually to be PRAISED for getting the team's coach fired? I see - this will all be golden because Bill Cowher will appear to make everything great! Oops! Ol' Bill wants nothing to do with Favre.
5. The Jet's team chemistry is now fractured. Could be, but they didn't have any last year either. Great! That's certainly a positive. NOT improving in a crucial area is a GOOD thing!
6. Brett Favre tarnished - again - his reputation. I think he can take the perception of morons in stride and he will be just fine. He is ALWAYS "just fine". When you are only, apparently, looking out for #1, nothing else matters. By the way, there seems to be an ever-increasing number of 'morons' out there - and fewer lemming-like Favreites as time goes by.

Ummmm....let's see....

I was talking about the Jets used Brett to get what they wanted. But if you want to talk about the Packers they found out they have a pretty good QB and went 6-10. Who is the real failure, come on, I hear the dust bunnies churning in your noggin, let me help the not so bright posters like you, IT IS FUCKING TWINKLE TOES THOMPSON.

I like Thompson's approach to building a team quite a bit, actually.
May his toes long twinkle!

cheesner
01-02-2009, 02:25 PM

My big prediction.

This really puts the Jets in a bind. They cannot get rid of Favre and risk the Vikings signing him. The threat of giving up 3 first round picks should scare them from cutting him. They are going to have to hope that Favre retires - if they don't want him. I don't know, though, how you can keep him on the team. With the things Jones said on the radio and the other quotes from players - If BF comes back that is not a happy lockerroom.

Bossman641
01-02-2009, 02:33 PM

My big prediction.

This really puts the Jets in a bind. They cannot get rid of Favre and risk the Vikings signing him. The threat of giving up 3 first round picks should scare them from cutting him. They are going to have to hope that Favre retires - if they don't want him. I don't know, though, how you can keep him on the team. With the things Jones said on the radio and the other quotes from players - If BF comes back that is not a happy lockerroom.

Don't the 3 draft picks only come into affect if they trade him?

I would think they could outright release him, not sure what cap number they would have to absorb then.

cheesner
01-02-2009, 02:48 PM

My big prediction.

Don't the 3 draft picks only come into affect if they trade him?

I would think they could outright release him, not sure what cap number they would have to absorb then.
Perhaps I am wrong. I reread the article and didn't see that.

I think i remember when the trade occurred that the poison pill extended to cutting him also and having him end up in the NFC North.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I think i remember when the trade occurred that the poison pill extended to cutting him also and having him end up in the NFC North.

I'm guessing that it doesn't. Honestly, I've always been a huge Brett guy, but once I saw his face before the NFC Championship Game last year, I lost faith that the guy could win big games late in the year. I'm not saying that he can't win any games late, but there are a lot of QBs right now that I'd take over Brett in a big game at the end of the year.

Partial
01-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I could see the Jets cutting Favre and going with Kellen. He's been on the bench for what, three years now?

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Oh so now we're looking out for the best interest of Chilly? :roll:No im not. But if you look at Favre from Chilly's point of view, those are very legit reasons why he probably won't touch Favre with a 10ft pole. And those are without mentioning the tampering charges last year. Way to pyshoanalyize too much by the way. :roll:

MOBB DEEP
01-03-2009, 01:19 AM
DAYUM brett....

MOBB DEEP
01-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I could see the Jets cutting Favre and going with Kellen. He's been on the bench for what, three years now?

whats with the high schoolesque sig????

packrulz
01-03-2009, 07:10 AM

Agreed.
I was there, he was stuck up, that's what I'm basing my opinion on. Turn on the TV, what are his teammates and other coaches saying? You want to blame it on me go ahead.