PDA

View Full Version : Rating the College Running Backs

Carolina_Packer
01-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I know this won't sit well with Badger fans here, but I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan. My family is from Wisconsin, but we moved to Iowa when I was a kid, and I started following the Hawks pretty much when Hayden Fry became their coach. I've always been a Packer fan, though.

Their running back, Shonn Greene, might be a bit of a one year wonder, but man he looks like a guy who could play on Sundays. Sure, he has a good offensive line at Iowa, but he plays with a nice low pad level, is 5'11 and 235 lbs. and has some shake. He rarely goes down on first contact, and when he gets to the second level, he often either bowls guys over or can elude them, and most of the time gets extra yards because of his size. I don't know if he would be a first rounder, but he should get a lot of interest. If he somehow fell to the second round, I'd love for the Packers to grab him. He would be an excellent one cut runner. Not sure about his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, because they don't really utilize him as such.

Guys I saw play this year:
Javon Ringer, MSU
Knowshon Mareno, Georgia
Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State (was a stud in New Mexico Bowl)
Noel Devine, WVU (speed guy, could be a fantastic returner)

Here is a list of the leaders in 2008:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=rush&sort=rushyds&season=3&year=2008&group=80

Not sure who all the guys coming out for the draft are. Has anyone seen any others from this list play this year and what did you think?

The Leaper
01-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't see a need for a RB in Green Bay. Yeah, we don't have a bona fide NFL superstar...but with our passing game, we don't need one. Grant is a solid player who should get 1100-1300 yards and 8-10 TDs just about any season. Jackson will continue to get better and already is a reasonably reliable 3rd down back. Wynn probably will never put it all together, but is OK as a backup.

Perhaps I'd take a flier on a guy from a smaller school or who really fits our scheme in the 4th or 5th round...but our focus really needs to be on both lines IMO. We need a major upgrade in talent on our OL and DL.

BallHawk
01-01-2009, 11:50 AM
TT will probably take a RB in like the 6th or 7th round, but I don't see him taking a guy on the first day or early second day.

Of course, he'll probably take a WR on the first day instead.

Lurker64
01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Nothing to see here...

Brando19
01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
WVU's Noel Devine is a very small RB. He said he has studied Barry Sanders and he uses the offensive line in a similar way. He likes to hide behind them until the last second and then explode. Also, he trains with Deion Sanders in the summer months. He'll be a junior next season. You're right, he would make a great return man, but won't be available until next year's draft at the earliest.

rbaloha1
01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
IMO Moreno from Georgia is a faster Emmitt Smith and the #1 rb. Agreed not a need for the Packers.

At receiver Crabtree is an immediate impact player and if available at #9 merits considerable consideration.

Bretsky
01-01-2009, 12:35 PM
IMO Moreno from Georgia is a faster Emmitt Smith and the #1 rb. Agreed not a need for the Packers.

At receiver Crabtree is an immediate impact player and if available at #9 merits considerable consideration.

Crabtree IMO is going to Seattle at #5. Stud who fits a huge need for them.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I think RB is actually a need for the Packers and I wouldn't be surprised to see TT use a 1st day pick on one. A 1-cut home run hitter is really all the Packers are lacking as far as skill positions go.

Bretsky
01-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I think RB is actually a need for the Packers and I wouldn't be surprised to see TT use a 1st day pick on one. A 1-cut home run hitter is really all the Packers are lacking as far as skill positions go.

guys like L Washington, D Sproles.......J Norwood......completely agree that if one is there we'd grab him

Brando19
01-01-2009, 01:23 PM

guys like L Washington, D Sproles.......J Norwood......completely agree that if one is there we'd grab him

And Steve Slaton. I'm still pissed we didn't grab him.

Partial
01-01-2009, 03:10 PM
WVU's Noel Devine is a very small RB. He said he has studied Barry Sanders and he uses the offensive line in a similar way. He likes to hide behind them until the last second and then explode. Also, he trains with Deion Sanders in the summer months. He'll be a junior next season. You're right, he would make a great return man, but won't be available until next year's draft at the earliest.

I am a big Noel Devine fan. He has so much talent. Reminds me of Reggie Bush.

That said, there are two premiere backs playing right now on ABC.