PDA

View Full Version : A Packer Forever....

gex
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Super Bowl champ: January 26, 1997
Favre goes 14-of-27 for 246 yards, throwing for two long touchdowns and running for another as the Packers beat the Patriots 35-21 in Super Bowl XXXI, the franchise's first championship since Super Bowl II in 1968.

Doing it for dad: December 22, 2003
Playing one day after the death of his father, Irvin, Favre lights up the Monday Night Football scoreboard, throwing for 399 yards and four touchdowns as the Packers blast the Raiders, 41-7.

Record breaker: September 30, 2007
In a stadium that usually spelled doom for him, Favre throws his 421st touchdown pass in the first quarter against the Vikings at the Metrodome, breaking Dan Marino's all-time record. He later adds another TD pass in a 23-16 Packers win

4Legend begins: September 22, 1992
Favre replaces the injured Don Majkowski in the first quarter of a game against the Bengals at Lambeau. He leads two late scoring drives and caps a 24-23 comeback win with a 35-yard touchdown pass in the final seconds. The rest is history.

Tying Marino: September 23, 2007
Favre throws for 369 yards and three touchdowns — the last of which ties Dan Marino's all-time passing touchdown record — in a 31-24 come-from-behind win over the Chargers that vaults the Packers to 3-0.

MVP performance: November 12, 1995
An injured Favre torches the Bears at Lambeau Field, throwing for five touchdown passes in a 35-28 win a week after spraining his ankle. He would go on to win his first of three consecutive MVP awards

Overtime thriller: October 20, 2007
Favre adds the ultimate excitement to the Monday Night Football stage, tossing an 82-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings on the first play of overtime in a 19-13 victory over the Broncos.

Final victory: January 12, 2008
Though there may be more on the horizon, what currently stands as Favre's final win came in classic Lambeau fashion: a playoff game in the snow. Favre throws three touchdowns as the Packers top the Seahawks to advance to the NFC Championship.

Back to the Super Bowl: January 11, 1998
Bad field conditions can't stop Favre as he goes 16-for-27 for 222 yards and a touchdown, leading the Packers to a 23-10 win over the 49ers and back to the Super Bowl for the second consecutive year.

Other great moments:
Playoff heroics — January 8, 1994: Favre throws a late 40-yard score to Sterling Sharpe as the Packers stun the Lions in an NFC Wild Card playoff game, winning 28-24.

The 99-yarder — September 11, 1995: Favre becomes just the eighth player in NFL history to throw a 99-yard touchdown pass, hooking up with Robert Brooks during a 27-24 win at Chicago.

Tough as nails — December 24, 1995: Favre takes a brutal hit and leaves a game against the Steelers but returns and throws a touchdown on the next play in a division-clinching win for the Packers.

Farewell ... or not? — December 12, 2006: (pictured) An emotional Favre tears up during a postgame interview after beating the Bears in the season finale, what some thought would be his last game. Favre, though, later opts not to retire.

Brando19
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I miss him. Big time. He'll always be my favorite player, ever. All of those are amazing things that happened, but the one that'll always stick out to me is the overtime play to Jennings in Denver. I went nuts. That was awesome.

ND72
01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Now we just need to post all the BAD things he did as well...

I mean lets be fair.

The Shadow
01-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Sad times for The Cult.

packinpatland
01-01-2009, 01:50 PM

I mean lets be fair.

Enough of that in the other threads. Let's leave this one for the good stuff.
And no one can deny there was ALOT of that.

cpk1994
01-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Sad times for The Cult.No. No No. you can't call them that. That's inflammatory. :roll:

ND72
01-01-2009, 01:53 PM

I mean lets be fair.

Enough of that in the other threads. Let's leave this one for the good stuff.
And no one can deny there was ALOT of that.

agreed (good stuff)

oregonpackfan
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
One of the most memorable anecdotes of the Brett Favre saga was comments from my elementary school's P.E. teacher the Monday morning after a Packer game.

This P.E. teacher was a pitcher for the U. of Oregon baseball team. After graduation, he was signed by the San Diego Padres and make it up to the Triple AAA level before a shoulder injury ended his baseball career. He was also a walk-on safety for the Ducks football team.

In the Sunday game, Favre was chased out of the pocket looking for a secondary receiver when he saw Antonio Freeman streaking across the field. Favre wound up and threw a 40 yard strike to Freeman on the goal line.

My colleague stated he had never seen a quarterback throw a pass "on a rope" of that length and speed. He further stated that if Favre was a baseball pitcher, he could have thrown a baseball over 100 mph.

After talking with me, he walked out of my classroom still shaking his head.

packinpatland
01-01-2009, 04:22 PM
That was good OPF.......thanks for sharing.

The Shadow
01-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Undoubtedly a common occurrence.

bobblehead
01-01-2009, 05:09 PM
One of the most memorable anecdotes of the Brett Favre saga was comments from my elementary school's P.E. teacher the Monday morning after a Packer game.

This P.E. teacher was a pitcher for the U. of Oregon baseball team. After graduation, he was signed by the San Diego Padres and make it up to the Triple AAA level before a shoulder injury ended his baseball career. He was also a walk-on safety for the Ducks football team.

In the Sunday game, Favre was chased out of the pocket looking for a secondary receiver when he saw Antonio Freeman streaking across the field. Favre wound up and threw a 40 yard strike to Freeman on the goal line.

My colleague stated he had never seen a quarterback throw a pass "on a rope" of that length and speed. He further stated that if Favre was a baseball pitcher, he could have thrown a baseball over 100 mph.

I like the story, but i'll argue one point. No one can throw a baseball over 100 because the mechanics of the arm and other factors make it nearly impossible. Throughout history a handful of guys get it up to 100 on an accurate gun, but there is a reason no one accurately gets to 101.

b bulldog
01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for T Jones for stating the obvious.

gex
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for T Jones for stating the obvious.

Eh?! wrong thread there :oops:

packinpatland
01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Last year's 'shovel pass in the snow'.............that was a good memory.

Gunakor
01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Coming back into a game against the Giants in 2004 with a concussion - not having been cleared by the medical staff mind you - to throw a TD pass to Javon Walker.

gex
01-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Super Bowl champ: January 26, 1997
Favre goes 14-of-27 for 246 yards, throwing for two long touchdowns and running for another as the Packers beat the Patriots 35-21 in Super Bowl XXXI, the franchise's first championship since Super Bowl II in 1968

The pass to Rison is one I'll never forget.