PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo

Tony Oday
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Anyone think that he would still come here in a trade?

Also Peppers think he will move?

Lurker64
01-01-2009, 09:49 PM
The Chiefs may well trade Gonzalez for the right pile of draft picks and players, they're a team that's pretty committed to the youth movement. Peppers is most likely going to be franchised.

DonHutson
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I have two theories on the Gonzalez situation:

1) The former GM was surprised the bidding got so high, and he got greedy. In trying to squeeze every last bit of compensation out of Green Bay he ended up screwing himself and botching the whole thing.

2) The Chiefs ownership had no intention of trading Gonzalez because they knew if they did there would be nobody there for the fanbase to care about (since their other big name player can't stay out of trouble). They wanted Gonzalez to think they were honoring his request. so they ordered the GM to make a public effort to trade him that would come up just short, so they could shift the blame to the other team for not getting it done.

If 1) is true, then Gonzalez is more likely than ever to get traded. I'm sure he still wants to go, and the guy that screwed it up is gone. Whether Green Bay is as appealing to Gonzalez as it was at the trade deadline is another issue.

If 2) is true that means the Chiefs organization tried to screw the best player they've had since Len Dawson, then they screwed the GM that was trying to be the good soldier by firing him for his efforts. That would be two pretty unsavory moves from a franchise that is generally considered to be pretty classy. So that seems pretty unlikely.

Therefore, I think Gonzalez is probably available.

As for Peppers, I would be shocked if he doesn't get franchised.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Would Gonzo really make that much difference?

If you're getting into the trading business, how about trading for a defensive tackle who can push the pocket?

DonHutson
01-02-2009, 09:35 AM
If you're getting into the trading business, how about trading for a defensive tackle who can push the pocket?

How often is one of those available? And if one is, what does he cost and what's wrong with him?

You could argue there were three last year, which is probably three more than are available most years. Shaun Rodgers, Corey Williams, and Kris Jenkins. All three were risks for one reason or another. Jenkins paid off (at least for one year), and the other two were busts.

I guess if a DT is out there, Ted should kick the tires. Meanwhile, if the price on Gonzalez drops back to a reasonable level (like a 4th rounder at this point), he'd be a nice security blanket for Rodgers. There really isn't anyone on the roster that can get open reliably for a quick dump off, unless they're in a 3 or 4 WR set and they use Jennings or Driver for that purpose.

Fritz
01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
True, true. But I think if you're willing to give up picks for a guy (yes, I'm like TT; I value those suckers) you ought to at least explore a DT trade since it appears to be an area of great need.

You could start by nosing around Detroit, where Cory Redding and his fat contract have fallen from grace. He played like poo this year in Detroit, but who didn't? Previously he'd been moved from outside to inside (opposite of Cullen Jenkins) and showed some spark.

Yes, it's within the division, but the Lions are, well, the Lions. Maybe something like that.

KYPack
01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Gonzales says he'd stay (FWIW)

Per the KC Star....

Tony Gonzalez will soon make his annual postseason trip to Hawaii to play in the Pro Bowl. Upon his return, he should have a better idea about which direction the Chiefs are headed.

By then, the Chiefs will likely have a new general manager and a decision on whether coach Herm Edwards will be retained.

At that point, Gonzalez will decide whether he will again ask for a trade.

“As far as I know, I’ll be a Chief next year,” Gonzalez said. “Depending on what Clark (Hunt) wants to do, if he wants to blow this whole thing up and bring in a new coaching staff and bring in a new coordinator with that and bring in a new quarterback in the draft, that all weighs into whether or not I want to be a Chief next year.

“As far as I’m concerned, as a veteran on this team going into my 13th year next year, the last thing I want to hear is ‘rebuild.’ I’m not into it. If they come in here and they want to blow it all up, I’ll be frustrated and I’ll be a little (ticked) off.

“There are some really good coaches on this staff. I want Herm back, I want (offensive coordinator Chan Gailey) back. I want my position coach, Jon Embree, back. These guys are going to take us in the direction we want to go.”

Gonzalez indicated he would play only one more season, at least if he stays with the Chiefs. In that case, it might benefit the Chiefs to at least listen to trade offers for Gonzalez, though those offers might not be overwhelming given that Gonzalez is nearing the end of his career.

“In reality, it’s just like this year,” he said. “If they don’t want to let me go, they don’t have to let me go and I’d have to deal with it. I’d still come back and play hard. But there’s only one year left in that. If they want to get something for me, that’s when I would say, ‘Why don’t you get something for me?’

“I’m just being honest. I’m just talking candidly here. No matter what happens, I’ll try to make it work for the best. Whatever team I’m on — hopefully it’s this team — we can build something special.”

Even at 32 and while playing for a 2-14 team, Gonzalez had one of his best seasons. That seemed improbable early in the year when the Chiefs continually shuffled their quarterbacks.

His season turned around when Tyler Thigpen took over for good at quarterback. That’s one reason Gonzalez would prefer to see the Chiefs stay with Thigpen, at least if they continue in the spread offensive formation.

“I think Tyler is the guy, especially for this offense,” Gonzalez said. “If they want to keep this offense in place, why would you need to go out there and get another quarterback? He’s perfect for this offense. If you want to go out there and get a dropback quarterback, then maybe you might want to get another quarterback.

“Tyler’s proven himself. He’s come out of nowhere and shown he can be an elite quarterback in this league. People need to keep in mind that it was his first year starting. He came into this season just hoping to be the third-string quarterback and now he’s pressed into the starting spotlight. I think he handled it well.

“If he gets a whole offseason and gets the (practices) and the whole camp and gets his confidence going that he’s going to be the guy, then I think he can be a pretty good quarterback in this league for a long time.”

Gonzalez and outgoing president/general manager Carl Peterson said their goodbyes after the Chiefs returned from Cincinnati Sunday night when they bumped into each other while having dinner at the Capital Grille on the Plaza.

Gonzalez was upset with Peterson for a time after the Chiefs failed to trade Gonzalez in October.

“Our relationship has healed,” Gonzalez said. “We were frustrated but I’m not going to hold a grudge forever. Whatever he does, I’m sure he’ll be successful. Twenty years as a general manager of an NFL team, that’s unheard of, especially nowadays. He should be proud of that. He had some real good football teams.”

Bretsky
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I kind of doubt the Chiefs would get much more than GB offered; it was good of TT not to up the offer after their GM started his game

Brando19
01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
So when will teams be able to begin trading????

Lurker64
01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
So when will teams be able to begin trading????

I'm pretty sure no players can move teams until after the superbowl.

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
who compares about Gonzales. I bet Finley will be better than him next year.