PDA

View Full Version : A statistical analysis of the Packers' season

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/36986949.html

The average release time of Rodgers' interceptions was 3.30 seconds. In the first eight seasons of the decade, Favre's release times on interceptions were 2.55 in 2000, 3.16 in 2001, 2.78 in 2002, 2.90 in 2003, 2.91 in 2004, 2.95 in 2005, 3.05 in 2006 and 3.09 in 2007.

Opponents blitzed (rushed five or more) on two of Rodgers' 13 interceptions (15.4%), a major drop-off from last season when 52.9% of Favre's picks came against blitzes.

Favre threw interceptions when pressured. Rodgers throws interceptions when he holds onto the ball too long. I think that can improve with experience.

Eleven of Rodgers' interceptions came from shotgun formation and two off seven-step drops. Thus, he wasn't intercepted on a drop five steps or fewer or a bootleg.

Eleven of the interceptions were intended for a wide receiver, led by Driver with five. Eleven came with at least three wide receivers on the field.

Ten of Rodgers' interceptions came with the Packers trailing. Last year, just seven of Favre's 17 came in deficit situations. In 2005, however, Favre threw 24 of 29 with his team behind.

Rodgers throws interceptions when other teams know the Packers are likely passing the ball. That's normal for most QBs. The Packers didn't trail much in 2007, so Favre was throwing with the lead a lot--which is an advantage since teams can't play the pass exclusively.

Chad Clifton allowed 6½ sacks after having given up just 18 in his first eight seasons. He was followed by Daryn Colledge (4½), Tony Moll (3½), Scott Wells (3), Jason Spitz (2½), Josh Sitton (1½) and Mark Tauscher (one-half).

Aaron Rodgers was charged with 9½ sacks, whereas Favre was responsible for just three in 2007, 2½ in '06, three in '05 and 3½ in '04. He did have 10½ in '03 and 10 in '02.

Clifton, with 25, led the line in "pressures" allowed. A "pressure" is defined as a sack, knockdown or hurry allowed. The 25 also is a career high for Clifton.

Following Clifton in "pressures" yielded were Tauscher with 23, Colledge with 19, Moll with 16, Spitz with 15, Wells with 6½ and Sitton with 5½.

Clifton had a bad year. Rodgers will hold onto the ball too long at times. This is normal for a young QB (most of the guys ahead of him in sacks taken are young QBs). It also means he was more likely to take a sack than risk an interception.

By subjective count, the Packers allowed 111 "bad" runs in 437 carries (25.4%), down from 138 (31.6%) in the same number of attempts last year. A "bad" run is defined as a gain for 1 yard or less in non-goal-line, short-yardage or kneel-down plays.

Spitz allowed the most "bad" runs with 19, followed by Colledge with 14½, Wells with 12, Tauscher with 11, Clifton with 8½, Moll with 7½ and Sitton with three.

More than anything, the Packers run game missed a few explosive runs.

The wide receivers dropped 24 of 359 targeted passes for a drop rate of 6.69%, their poorest since 7.87% in 2002. The unit dropped 4.11% in 2006 and 5.63% in '07.

Jordy Nelson had the best hands, dropping just one ball in 53 attempts (1.89%). Donald Driver dropped seven of 113 (6.2%), Greg Jennings dropped nine of 138 (6.52%), Ruvell Martin dropped three of 26 (11.54%) and James Jones dropped four of 29 (13.8%). Lee dropped four of 49 (8.16%), Brandon Jackson dropped two of 39 (5.1%) and Grant dropped two of 22 (9.1%).

These are always interesting. Jones still drops too many balls for a guy that has great hands. Lack of concentration?

Excluding five clock-stopping spikes, Rodgers threw away 19 passes. Favre, who didn't throw away a single pass in 2007, averaged 6.4 throwaways in his final 15 seasons (statistics from 1992 are unavailable).

Not one throwaway last year. That's crazy. There's the reason for the difference in completion % from last year. Take away the throwaways, and Rodgers completed 66.0% of his passes. Last year, Favre set a career high at 66.5%.

The Packers registered their fewest tackles for loss (30) since statistics first were recorded in 1992. They had 45 in 2007, and an average of 46.3 from 1992-2007. Brady Poppinga was the leader with 3½.

Terrible front seven play.

The Packers allowed 15 runs of 20 yards or more, more than double their total of seven in each of McCarthy's first two seasons.

Terrible front seven play.

Collins led the way in dropped interceptions with three. He has led or tied in this category in three of his four seasons.

Collins didn't drop as many as some people remember. He did a much better job of capitalizing on all of the opportunities he gives himself. He's always given himself the opportunities to make plays, but has failed to come up with the ball. Whether he continues on as a Pro Bowl caliber player depends on him continuing to capitalize on his opportunities.

Jenkins had 19 "pressures" (defined as the total of sacks, knockdowns and hurries) before suffering a season-ending pectoral injury in the second half of the fourth game. At that rate, he was on pace for 76, which would have broken Kampman's record of 58½ last season. The Journal Sentinel has recorded this statistic since 1998.

As it was, Kampman finished with 49, including a team-high 9½ sacks, a team-high 21½ knockdowns and a team-high 18 hurries. Despite playing four games, Jenkins was second in knockdowns (five) and hurries (11½), and tied for second in sacks by a defensive lineman with 2½.

Terrible DL play.

DonHutson
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Interesting stats and good analysis, Harvey.

The drop % difference from Nelson to Jones is staggering. It will be damn near impossible for Jones to pass him on the depth chart if that continues.

Those stats also point out what a huge loss Jenkins was.

The QB stats are pretty revealing also.

Patler
01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Another stat that I found interesting:

The Packers led the NFL in penalty yardage with 984 after finishing second last year with 1,006. They had the second-most penalties with 110 after last year being penalized 113 times, which ranked fourth.

One of the worst offenders was Bush, whose six penalties were three times more than anyone else on special teams and the most by a special-teams player in Green Bay in more than 20 years. In all, the special teams drew 25 penalties, most since 2000.

Don't get me wrong, I like aggressive play, and with aggressive play comes penalties. I don't expect them to be the lowest in the league, but 110 penalties for 1000 yards in two consecutive years is an awful to have to overcome. I did my own research to break it down. My numbers don't exactly jive with theirs. They said 25 ST penalties, I found 23. I assume I inadvertantly looked at a FG or punt as an offensive penalty. I didn't bother to go back to find my errors. They had (of significance)

Offense penalties - 48
5 delays of game - These should decrease with more QB experience.
15 false starts - Tend to show a lack of concentration.
16 offensive holds - A mobile QB can cause some as defenders change direction.
4 ineligible down field - these happen too with a QB who moves around and throws

Defense Penalties - 39
9 pass interference
7 illegal contact
5 offside
5 unnecessary roughness - These can be a lack of control, but 4 is not very many.
Note: - I don't see any of these numbers to be particularly bothersome.

Special Teams - 23 penalties (maybe 25) - These came about on 346 plays, 141 punts(65 GB, 76 Opp), 141 kickoff (69 GB, 72 Opp) and 64 fieldgoal attemptss (34 GB, 30 Opp.). Clearly most happen on punts and kickoffs. The number seems high, but the NFL overall has a lot of ST penalties, no matter who is playing.

Noodle
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
These stats are amazing, especially the stats on get-off time.

I'd note that the illegal man downfield penalty can often occur when the QB holds the ball too long, which, as others have noted, should diminish as an issue for Rodgers as he gets more experienced.

I have to say, I'm amazed he didn't throw a pick in the face of 5+ pressure. That's astounding for a first-year starter. I've noted before he really started getting better at the end of the season at finding hot reads and punishing defenses when they blitzed.

He's got a good future.