PDA

View Full Version : Reading between the lines...

DonHutson
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to decipher any draft hints from the end of the year statements by McCarthy and friends. Elements of this post could've gone into other threads, but I thought I'd keep them together in an attempt to tease one coherent thought out of my head.

1) Most of the OL positions are up for grabs, and zone scheme will remain (though with some evolutions).

Sitton will be the RG. Spitz will have every opportunity to beat out Wells at C. Colledge will have a chance to beat out Clifton at LT, or else he will be the LG. Tauscher hasn't even had his surgery yet. They didn't say this, but I would think that pusts the start of camp in doubt for him. I'd be surprised if he comes back. Therefore Moll and Giacomini are the contenders for RT. Other than a few generaic platitudes, Allen Barbre's name was conspicuously absent from any specific discussions about positions. They seem to want to keep guys at set positions from now on.

Draft Impact: If they really don't consider Barbre a contender, and if they don't want to keep moving Spitz around, then they probably want Colledge to play LG. My take is that he only moves to LT if Clifton becomes a real liability.

Therefore, I think LT is very much in play for the first or second round in the draft. At #9, and again at #41, there are a couple of athletic zone type LT's who might be able to step in. In particular I would keep an eye on Jason Smith from Baylor in the 1st. I just have a feeling he could be the guy.

Also, a "competition" between Moll and Giacomini scares the hell out of me. We already know that Moll sucks. They seem high on Giacomini, but I'd hate to just hand him the job. I'd look for a RT to get drafted as well. A name to watch: Fenuki Tupou from Oregon. Described by Scouts Inc. as a 333 pound bad MF'er, with above average agility who can get out and hit a moving target. Maybe Oregon PackFan call add some insight on this guy?

2. They referred to Cullen Jenkins as one of the best players on the team, and they attributed much of the lack of pass rush to his injury.

Personally, I don't think we can afford to rely on Jenkins to be healthy, and I think we need to augment the pass rush whether he is healthy or not. However, if we take these statements at face value, that may mean that DE is not a priority in the first couple of rounds.

3. All LB positions are up for grabs.

If they're willing to move guys around to different positions, I would think they would be willing to add another horse to the race. If Aaron Curry falls to #9, I would think the Packers would grab him in a heartbeat. If they are willing to move Barnett outside, then maybe they would think about a guy like Maualuga. But, they also seem happy enough with Poppinga and Chillar (and Bishop for that matter). Given the money being spent at LB already, I think this is more likely a case where they shuffle the cards they already have.

I didn't see a lot of commentary on the DB's. So at this point, I'm thinking more and more that OL could be a priority.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Colledge will have a chance to beat out Clifton at LT, or else he will be the LG.

Clifton might be at LT with Colledge at RT.

DonHutson
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Colledge will have a chance to beat out Clifton at LT, or else he will be the LG.

Clifton might be at LT with Colledge at RT.

Maybe, but I think that would likely mean Spitz at LG instead of C, and the RT's fell on their faces. Neither would be ideal.

Didn't McCarthy say something about his ideal OL being athletic on the left and physical on the right? That would tell me that Colledge's future is on the left, and they would only move him out of desparation.

Green Bud Packer
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
The defensive line always seems to need attention and I think this should be done thru free agency. At 9 best player available .

Fritz
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I noticed, too, that Barbre's name was conspicuous by omission.

I wonder if he gets one offseason and one training camp to show something, or he ends up as the next Will Whitticker.

Patler
01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I noticed, too, that Barbre's name was conspicuous by omission.

I wonder if he gets one offseason and one training camp to show something, or he ends up as the next Will Whitticker.

It seems quite clear that Barbre is now #4 on their list of guards. For Barbre to start (absent injuries) it looks like Spitz will have to become a center and Colledge will have to become a tackle. Possible, but not highly likely. What seems more likely is that for 2009 Barbre is the first backup at guard (I expect one of Spitz and Colledge to move, but probably not both). He could still figure into their plans for 2010 or beyond, unless another real promising rookie shows up in GB.

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
The defensive line always seems to need attention and I think this should be done thru free agency. At 9 best player available .

I'm not sure that TT can stick with "best player available." The team is too imbalanced. They have to try both FA and draft to breath life into the D line. There are no guarantees.

bobblehead
01-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I think that last game was as much to see how college played RT as it was because of need. I think he very well might be Right or Left tackle next season. This line is a fucking mess and its worse due to tausch injury and Clifton seeming to slip.

If it were me I would do this...barring a rookie impressing.

College, Babre, Spitz, Sitton, ???

I like that size and athleticism combo and I would give it the entire preseason to gel. I also think it puts each of those guys at the best possible position for them to succeed.

Further I would not move Spitz or Sitton for nothing. If Babre or College flops at that position thru a full camp I would consider moving them around, but I would leave Spitz and Sitton where they are. And wherever college lines up in week 1 I would leave him there if at all humanly possible too.

I think College, spitz, sitton all start next year with only colleges position to be determined. I would fill in around them however I needed too, but getting some continuity can only help.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Colledge, Spitz, and Sitton, yes. I don't think Clifton loses his starting spot, though, if he is healthy, until the end of his contract. I wish we know the whole story on Barbre, as he is either the missing piece of the puzzle or he has played himself into a condition of not worth keeping. How that could happen when they were so high on him before, I'd really like to know. Without Barbre, it comes down to Wells, Giacomini, Moll, or Tauscher, or some newcomer either from the draft or free agency.

I really don't think you take a ZBS lineman with the 9th pick in the draft. One of the points of having the scheme is getting better performance with less talented--or at least, less heralded--linemen. We will, however, probably take a couple of mid round O Linemen--3rd to 5th rounds.

DonHutson
01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I really don't think you take a ZBS lineman with the 9th pick in the draft. One of the points of having the scheme is getting better performance with less talented--or at least, less heralded--linemen. We will, however, probably take a couple of mid round O Linemen--3rd to 5th rounds.

That's been true thus far for finding interior linemen, though I might substitute smaller for less talented. But they haven't gone looking for a LT before. It'll be interesting to see if the same theory applies.

I think all of these small, quick pass rushers are beginning to put more of a premium on the athletic, nimble LT. I'm not sure we can rely on that type of player to slip through the cracks anymore. At least at LT. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a top five pick a couple years ago at just over 300 pounds. Now Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith are top ten prospects (depending where you look) at the same size.

If they wait, there are some possibilities in the second round. Russell Okung from Oklahoma State, Eben Britten from Arizona, and Jamon Meredith from South Carolina could fit the prototype as well.