PDA

View Full Version : Best CB Back In The NFC?

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't have picked Sheldon Brown.
:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown08

The Eagles spent a ton of free-agent money on cornerback Asante Samuel, but it's the other starter, Sheldon Brown, who may have been the best cornerback in football this year (non-Nigerian division). Brown leads all cornerbacks with at least 35 charted passes in both of FO's defensive coverage metrics, averaging just 4.6 yards per pass with a success rate of 74 percent. We don't have Brown down as allowing a single touchdown, at least through Week 14, and he wasn't flagged once all year for illegal contact or pass interference.

Partial
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I would have picked Chuck. He is really playing great.

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I wonder what NFL wide receivers think.

I thought Woodson had a season for the ages. I don't remember a corner being so dominant.

vince
01-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Brown leads all cornerbacks with at least 35 charted passes in both of FO's defensive coverage metrics, averaging just 4.6 yards per pass with a success rate of 74 percent. We don't have Brown down as allowing a single touchdown, at least through Week 14, and he wasn't flagged once all year for illegal contact or pass interference.

Wood was definitely a pro-bowl player this year and a great playmaker, but that is some kind of performance for a corner, and it's not like he was never tested playing across from Samuel.

By comparison, Woodson's "season for the ages" accounted for 3 penalties committed and a touchdown given up this year. Not sure about success rate or yds/completion (must be in FO's premium content area), but Woodson did give up 6 1/2 passes of 20 yards or more, so I would think his yds/completion would be quite a bit higher than 4.6. That's a pretty low average...

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Then again, I believe Brown had his first interception last weekend, so Wood was a much better "playmaker" than Brown. Good stats though. It just shows that you can't just judge a corner by his stats.

bobblehead
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Then again, I believe Brown had his first interception last weekend, so Wood was a much better "playmaker" than Brown. Good stats though. It just shows that you can't just judge a corner by his stats.

Actually it shows you can't judge a CB by his interceptions. This guys stats owned Woodsons.

I would like to see where their metrics had Harris rated compared to woodson.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Actually it shows you can't judge a CB by his interceptions. This guys stats owned Woodsons.

Not really. It's hard to say he owned Woodson--when Woodson had 61 tackles, 3 sacks, 7 interceptions, 24 pass deflections, 2 TDs, 2 ff/fr while Brown had 51 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 13 pass deflections, 0 TDs, and 1 ff/fr.

You have to take it all into consideration. With Sheppard on the team, was Brown covering the other team's 2nd WR more? What type of pass rush did Brown get compared to Woodson.

Bretsky
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Not really. It's hard to say he owned Woodson--when Woodson had 61 tackles, 3 sacks, 7 interceptions, 24 pass deflections, 2 TDs, 2 ff/fr while Brown had 51 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 13 pass deflections, 0 TDs, and 1 ff/fr.

You have to take it all into consideration. With Sheppard on the team, was Brown covering the other team's 2nd WR more? What type of pass rush did Brown get compared to Woodson.

Earlier on didn't Woodsen often cover the #2 WR as well ? Either way the article is pretty surprising to me as well