PDA

View Full Version : Colts' Manning takes home third NFL MVP award

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dd272c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

NEW YORK -- Peyton Manning can tell Brett Favre to move over and make room for him atop the roster of NFL Most Valuable Players.

For the third time, Manning won the award from The Associated Press, tying Favre as the only players in that elite category.

The Indianapolis Colts quarterback was a landslide winner Friday in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. Manning also was the league MVP in 2003, when he shared it with Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair, and in 2004.

Favre, then with the Green Bay Packers, took MVP honors in 1995 and '96 before sharing it with Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders in 1997.

"I know it's an individual award, but ... truly, in my opinion, a team award," said Manning, who received 32 votes, far ahead of Miami Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington (4) and Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner (4). "It's been the most rewarding regular season that I've been a part of in my 11 years, and I have to believe a lot of the other players and even coaches might feel the same way."

This has been a most unusual season for the Colts, who normally have the AFC South title just about clinched by Thanksgiving. Manning had two operations on his left knee in the preseason, cutting into practice time, blunting his usual precision as a passer and, eventually, leading to a 3-4 start.

From there, with Manning getting sharper by the week, the Colts won nine straight games to secure a wild-card berth and a Saturday night meeting with the San Diego Chargers.

In that streak, Manning is 209-of-290 passing for 2,248 yards and 17 touchdowns, with only three interceptions. He extended his NFL record with his ninth 4,000-yard season and finished with 27 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions and a 95.0 passer rating.

"It's just been different," Manning said. "It's been an entirely different season. I think the one thing that's been inaccurate is that the seasons we were starting out 13-0, 8-0, 7-0, that it was easy. So all of a sudden this year, we are 3-4 and now things are hard. Believe me, it's never easy to win a game. I've never taken for granted winning a football game."

Colts coach Tony Dungy said several times that he favored Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison for MVP -- he tied with Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson with three votes. But after Manning's flawless work in the second half of the season, Dungy, while admittedly biased, changed his mind.

"I said after we left Pittsburgh (on Nov. 9) that I would vote for James Harrison," Dungy noted this week. "If I was voting today, I'd vote for Peyton Manning."

A vast majority of the voters did.

Also receiving votes were Chargers QB Philip Rivers (2), Titans rookie RB Chris Johnson (1) and Cardinals QB Kurt Warner (1).

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
His worst statistical game of the year (46.6 passer rating) came against... your Green Bay Packers.
:D

Patler
01-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a feeling that isn't the only Favre record that Manning might reach.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
He's gonna break every major QB record except the INT one. It's not a matter of if, it's when.

packers11
01-02-2009, 12:21 PM
His worst statistical game of the year (46.6 passer rating) came against... your Green Bay Packers.
:D

haha awesome... We brought it to the house twice on the MVP!!! OUR DEFENSIVE IS DOMINANT!!! :lol: :wink:

BallHawk
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, at least we can say the 2008 MVP had stats practically identical to our starting QB.

b bulldog
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Best QB playing at the moment, may be best ever with another ring

bobblehead
01-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, at least we can say the 2008 MVP had stats practically identical to our starting QB.

I was going to say almost exactly that....except our QB actually was a smidgen better.

GBRulz
01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Does this mean we can expect more commercials?

Noodle
01-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, more commercials seem likely, but I have to admit, I don't mind 'em too much. I even kind of like the one that's running now where he's on the road and fans are giving him crap, which he fails to interpret correctly.

I still have problems with the Manning pout and the way he took his OL to task in the press, but he is damn good at what he does.

Charles Woodson
01-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, more commercials seem likely, but I have to admit, I don't mind 'em too much. I even kind of like the one that's running now where he's on the road and fans are giving him crap, which he fails to interpret correctly.

I still have problems with the Manning pout and the way he took his OL to task in the press, but he is damn good at what he does.

haha agreed i like his commercials

Partial
01-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Yep. Peyton is unreal.

gbgary
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
brett did it three years in a row. don't remember but are manning's consecutive?

Patler
01-02-2009, 02:54 PM
brett did it three years in a row. don't remember but are manning's consecutive?

No, Manning's other two were in 2003 and 2004. He has maintained his level of excellence over a longer period of time than Favre did, as evidenced by three awards in 6 seasons! :twisted:

Seriously, I'm not sure what the significance would be in the awards coming in consecutive years. Each won the award when it could have just as easily gone to someone else, and didn't get it when they were under strong consideration. You have to play well for a long time to get three, whether consecutive or spaced.

Noodle
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Not to take anything away from Favre, but he shared one his MVPs, didn't he? Did Manning share any of his previous two?

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Did Manning share any of his previous two?

I believe he shared one of them.

BF4MVP
01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Did Manning share any of his previous two?

I believe he shared one of them.
Yep. He shared '03 with Steve McNair.

Noodle
01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
You're right, Harvey. I just checked -- Manning shared his first MVP with Steve McNair in 2003. He won outright in 2004 and now 2008.

Favre won outright in 1995 and 1996, then shared it with Barry Sanders in 1997.

Manning and Favre are the only two guys to have shared an MVP.

Incredible accomplishment for both QBs.

Interestingly, though you don't hear about it, Unitas (1959, 1964, and 1967) and Jim Brown (1957, 1958, and 1965) also appear to have won 3. Pretty good company.

packerbacker1234
01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
He's gonna break every major QB record except the INT one. It's not a matter of if, it's when.

Really? Because as it stands, he'll need to play 8 more seasons with 30+ td's per season to catch that TD record.

Wins? Yeah, it's reachable, assuming he can still play well in a few seasons. Plus, Favre has to retire. The stats are being padded every year he returns, and it just makes less likely that Peyton catches him. I Doubt Peyton plays when he is 39/40, and if brett goes one more season, that may seal the fate that Peyton will ahve to accept he wont catch favre, not that he cares about it anyways.

BF4MVP
01-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Really? Because as it stands, he'll need to play 8 more seasons with 30+ td's per season to catch that TD record.

Not even close. Manning has 333 TDs, Favre has 464..Manning needs 131 TDs to catch Favre (Favre could come back, as you have stated so that's tentative). If you use the 30+ TDs per season number as you have, he'll break it in a little more than four seasons.

packinpatland
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Does this mean we can expect more commercials?

And.......another SNL host spot! Whooohooooo!
I'm going to have to admit........I still smile when he calms the chicken down on Sony commercial. :lol:

vince
01-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Not even close. Manning has 333 TDs, Favre has 464..Manning needs 131 TDs to catch Favre (Favre could come back, as you have stated so that's tentative). If you use the 30+ TDs per season number as you have, he'll break it in a little more than four seasons.
Realistically you're looking at a solid 5 years. By the end of Peyton's 5th year, he'll be almost 39 years old. While catching Favre is not a slam dunk, it is certainly doable. Add another year if Favre comes back next season...

Partial
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Manning has said a year or two ago he would only play 6 more years. I don't remember when that was, though. And I can't find a google reference to it, but then again I suck at googling.

Patler
01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Realistically you're looking at a solid 5 years. By the end of Peyton's 5th year, he'll be almost 39 years old. While catching Favre is not a slam dunk, it is certainly doable. Add another year if Favre comes back next season...

Manning is only 32. He turns33 in March. If Fave retires this year, Manning only has to play when he is 37 to get in 5 more seasons.

Brando19
01-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Manning has said a year or two ago he would only play 6 more years. I don't remember when that was, though. And I can't find a google reference to it, but then again I suck at googling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2451796

I believe I found the article you are referring to. It was from May 2006. Manning said he wanted to play 8 more years.

gex
01-03-2009, 12:33 AM
You're right, Harvey. I just checked -- Manning shared his first MVP with Steve McNair in 2003. He won outright in 2004 and now 2008.

Interestingly, though you don't hear about it, Unitas (1959, 1964, and 1967) and Jim Brown (1957, 1958, and 1965) also appear to have won 3. Pretty good company.

Didn't announcers always say Favre was the only 3 time mvp winner?

bobblehead
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM

Okay, I'm nitpicking....but there were 2 other guys who shared theirs.

MOBB DEEP
01-03-2009, 01:21 AM
even tho i REALLY dig him, manny cant hold favre's jock

Bretsky
01-03-2009, 01:24 AM

I dig Fave, but Manning is the better QB and IMO will break nearly all of Favre's records.

MOBB DEEP
01-03-2009, 01:34 AM

I dig Fave, but Manning is the better QB and IMO will break nearly all of Favre's records.

i was talkn about manny ramirez....

so is peyton better than marino?

MJZiggy
01-03-2009, 07:46 AM

I think the question is injury. Manning has to play all those seasons without injury to reach Favre's records. He very near blew the consecutive games this season. (which I'm hoping he does, because I want Favre to keep the iron man record)

Bretsky
01-03-2009, 09:02 AM

i was talkn about manny ramirez....

so is peyton better than marino?

yes

Noodle
01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Okay, I'm nitpicking....but there were 2 other guys who shared theirs.

Yeah, you're nit-picking, but you're right -- good catch (ya prick!). :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM

His playoff record is pretty similar to Brett's record. Maybe even a tad worse at this point. He had one year where he had the good run and got a ring. Brett did have a second good run that took them to a second Super Bowl appearance.

Partial
01-04-2009, 02:19 PM
To be fair, San Diego played a heck of a game last night. Indy shouldn't have been in it, but Manning is sneaky and called the play when nobody was paying attention.

SD played a gritty game. They were lacking their two biggest playmakers but still got it done. I didn't think they would, but I was impressed!

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9033410/NFL-Truths:-Peyton%27s-a-choker,-LT-is-done-in-S.D.

Manning did nothing on Saturday. Well, he enhanced his reputation as the big-time QB mostly likely to choke in the clutch. His postseason numbers don't lie.

His record is 7-8. He's tossed 22 TDs and 17 INTs in January. His completion percentage falls to 56 percent (eight points lower than his career percentage). And in his eight playoff losses, the Colts average 13 points per game.

Also, let's not forget that in his 2006, four-game Super Bowl run, Manning threw three TDs and seven INTs. His Super Bowl MVP trophy was a gift from the media, probably a thank-you for the wonderful TV commercials.

I'm a Peyton Manning fan. His postseason play is indefensible.

Zool
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Luckily for him its a regular season award.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/258411.jpg

Guiness
01-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Manning sure did look pissed as the Chargers game went to overtime. Extremely upset as they scored to tie it up. That quick snap he made when the Chargers tried to make a player change while he was in the no-huddle was a thing of brilliance.

Did he say anything publicly about his D or anything? I figured he was going to, but didn't see anything.

As far as records go, the iron man one is pretty interesting. It is reachable for him, if he wants to keep going. I was some surprised when he suited up week 1 this year.

packers11
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
they shifted the blame to the refs...

pft.com

FINE SURELY COMING FOR FREENEY
Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2009, 2:41 p.m.

Well, when a guy has a $72 million contract, he can afford a $20,000 fine or two.

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney, after Saturday night’s loss to the Chargers, unloaded to Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports regarding the quality (or lack thereof) of the officiating.

“Those were the worst [expletive] calls I’ve seen in a long time,” Freeney said. “To have a game of that magnitude taken out of your hands, it’s just disgusting. It’s not like they made one [expletive] bad call – it’s three calls, in overtime. On one the ball’s 50 feet over [Chambers’] head. And they have the nerve to call defensive holding? When they can’t even call one friggin’ offensive holding the whole game? What’s going on? They need to start investigating some other [expletive].”

On one hand, Freeney has learned well from G.M. Bill Polian.

On the other hand, there’s no way Freeney doesn’t get fined.

jmbarnes101
01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
In all of this talk about Manning being the MVP nobody has actually brought up the point of whether he deserved it or not. I don't believe he did and I don't think he belonged in the top 5 for voting.

I believe that Warner, Forte, Turner, Haynesworth, Ed Reed, Polamalu, D. Williams, and Rivers deserved it more than he did. I think he got it because people respect him and there wasn't a clear cut person to get the award. In my opinion, it's just another reason these awards are meaningless.

Noodle
01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I think Manning was helped big time by a Peter King promo piece that came out just before the vote. King said Manning's recovery from a grusome injury (much worse than anyone knew, according to Pete) and his play during the Colts' nine-game room made the case convincingly for Manning.

I have to believe that the widely read King convinced more than a few voters.

jmbarnes101
01-06-2009, 05:41 PM
So create a new award and call it the best comeback by a player from a major injury award and give it to him. Though I would have given that to Cadillac not Peyton. I'm not a fan of Peter King but if that's what influenced people's decisions than they don't deserve to vote anymore than I do.

MJZiggy
01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
So create a new award and call it the best comeback by a player from a major injury award and give it to him. Though I would have given that to Cadillac not Peyton. I'm not a fan of Peter King but if that's what influenced people's decisions than they don't deserve to vote anymore than I do.

Isn't that what the Comeback Player of the Year is for?