PDA

View Full Version : TAYLOR MAYS, S, USC

packers11
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
This guy is ridiculous, he reminds me of a Sean Taylor but my question is, would he be worth a #9 overall pick in the 2009 draft?

If the GBP drafted him, he would move to strong safety but what about Bigby? At #9 if the 'best player available' is Mays, would you guys be opposed to drafting him or would you want him even though our secondary is our strength of our defense...

Our biggest need is DE/OL but Mays looks like one of those safety you see once every 5 years coming out the draft (ed reed) (Sean Taylor)...

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I think the Packers need talent and depth in the D-line so badly, that has to be addressed. Justin Harrell has to be written off as a total loss, for planning purposes.

ND72
01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
This guy is ridiculous, he reminds me of a Sean Taylor but my question is, would he be worth a #9 overall pick in the 2009 draft?

Yes. You address best player availble at #9 - Preferably Mays, play him at SS, and have a Pro Bowler in his rookie year, and you take care of the rest later.

Take Mays, and never look back.

Gut feeling from me though is that at the combine he'll :shock: someone, and he'll go before #9.

BallHawk
01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure that it would be wise to spend our top 10 pick on a safety when there are so many other pressing issues.

I am sure, however, that Bigby is not the answer at safety.

b bulldog
01-02-2009, 12:38 PM
If he runs a 4.2/40 as some suggest at his size, he may easily be gone. I do love big, nasty S's.

bobblehead
01-02-2009, 12:46 PM
If he is clearly the best guy we will draft him. If there is a handful of guys comparable we might move down or just take the best DL or LT available. But if he is CLEARLY the cream of the crop you grab him.

b bulldog
01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I want Luga and if he is gone, Mays would do just fine.

rbaloha1
01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Taylor Mays is a great pic. Is physical, hit and run. Reminds of Atwater.

With 4 picks in the first 100 other positions requiring attention are d-line, linebacker and left tackle. Brandon Spikes (MLB) if available is great in round 2 or move up to late round 1.

mission
01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Taylor Mays is a great pic. Is physical, hit and run. Reminds of Atwater.

With 4 picks in the first 100 other positions requiring attention are d-line, linebacker and left tackle. Brandon Spikes (MLB) if available is great in round 2 or move up to late round 1.

Guy would be a steal in the second round.. Anyone see the picture of the Florida D in the year-end SI? He looks like a man among boys side by side... yikes!! Bad dude!

Partial
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Is this guy a SS or FS?

cheesner
01-02-2009, 02:12 PM

If the GBP drafted him, he would move to strong safety but what about Bigby? At #9 if the 'best player available' is Mays, would you guys be opposed to drafting him or would you want him even though our secondary is our strength of our defense...

Our biggest need is DE/OL but Mays looks like one of those safety you see once every 5 years coming out the draft (ed reed) (Sean Taylor)...
You have to go with BPA. Do you think Ravens would right now swap Ed Reed for a good DT? Or would Indy swap Bob Sanders for one? Although Safety isn't the most glamorous or important of positions, a great one can make a significant difference on your team.

nearly every time I would take a great player over a lesser player, even if it meant I already had a good player in the position and there were other need positions. If you draft for need and take inferior players, you (of course) end up with a team full of inferior players.

]{ilr]3
01-02-2009, 02:36 PM

I like the idea of an NOW impact player from the #9 pick. Pretty much not going to get a DE, DL or OL player from the draft. I like the idea of a S or RB at that pick.

Anyone think Shonn Greene will be a top 10 pick?

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Can the guy cover? That is job one for a safety. If he is a big hitter, fine, but if he can't cover, he's a liability.

Even if he can cover, we really don't need a safety. Assuming Bigby comes back healthy and plays like '07, he is more than adequate. Rouse seems likely to develop into a nice player, and Woodson can do the job there big time if needed.

I still want a cover corner--Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis.

Lurker64
01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
{ilr]3]
Anyone think Shonn Greene will be a top 10 pick?

I would say "absolutely not" but the Raiders are drafting in the top 10 so anything's possible.

But Shonn Greene is a round 2 or 3 pick right now considering:
1) He only has one year of production at RB.
2) He doesn't catch the ball.
3) He doesn't block.
4) He doesn't have a great resume of production against particularly talented defenses (largely since Iowa didn't play very many this year.

If he has an incredible combine, there's a chance. But I personally believe coming out this year is a mistake for him. If he needs the money, more power to him, but he'd be a much better draft pick if he stayed another year and worked on blitz pickup and receiving.

SkinBasket
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
but what about Bigby?

You get him a job at the local grocery store? Maybe he could cut those pesky shopping carts off in the parking lot before they make it to the street. Probably not, but maybe.

I see a lot of people still have that same emotional attachment to this guy that caused them to overlook how poor of a safety he is - or should I say was - as in when he used to play. He hit like three guys hard two years ago - two of them in the preseason, and everyone overlooks terrible angles, sub-Herron speed, and now, his inability to bring those less than standard skills to the field due to injury.

cpk1994
01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
but what about Bigby?

You get him a job at the local grocery store? Maybe he could cut those pesky shopping carts off in the parking lot before they make it to the street. Probably not, but maybe.

I see a lot of people still have that same emotional attachment to this guy that caused them to overlook how poor of a safety he is - or should I say was - as in when he used to play. He hit like three guys hard two years ago - two of them in the preseason, and everyone overlooks terrible angles, sub-Herron speed, and now, his inability to bring those less than standard skills to the field due to injury.How soon you forget last years playoff game vs. Seattle. Caused a fumble, had three big hits and got completely inside Marcus Pollard's head after the one hit.

SkinBasket
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
but what about Bigby?

I see a lot of people still have that same emotional attachment to this guy that caused them to overlook how poor of a safety he is - or should I say was - as in when he used to play. He hit like three guys hard two years ago - two of them in the preseason, and everyone overlooks terrible angles, sub-Herron speed, and now, his inability to bring those less than standard skills to the field due to injury.How soon you forget last years playoff game vs. Seattle. Caused a fumble, had three big hits and got completely inside Marcus Pollard's head after the one hit.

Ryan Leaf had that nice game against Denver once too.

Bretsky
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm completely on board with Mays or Luga as well

Basically at #9 I want a playmaker on defense; guy who will end up a start in the NFL

red
01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
i'm with b

those 2 were impressive last night

both look like they would bring a nastiness to the d

mays looks like an athletic freak

i still think we have bigger needs though

and mt. cody is about to play in about an hour

BZnDallas
01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
i agree that we have other needs that are more important, but in the first round (especially in the top 10) you draft playmakers!!!... first and foremost!! if there are need players and semi-playmakers in later rounds then reaching for a need is do-able... if Mays is available take him... what would baltimore be without Reed and the indy without Sanders... to me its a no brainer...

rbaloha1
01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Bigby is good. Mays has a chance to be great. The antithesis of Rouse -- loose hips, fast and smooth.

SkinBasket
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Bigby is good.

Alright. I realize that I've hated on Bigby from day one, but seriously, what is he "good" at? On the football field. I'm sincerely interested in what people perceive as good when it comes to this player, because I am not seeing it.

Bretsky
01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Bigby is good.

Alright. I realize that I've hated on Bigby from day one, but seriously, what is he "good" at? On the football field. I'm sincerely interested in what people perceive as good when it comes to this player, because I am not seeing it.

I completely agree with you Skin

Bigby puts some great hits on people and is above average as a blitzer because he is physical.

But I view him as an average at best cover guy safety and I'm probably being on the kind side by saying that.

I think he's an ideal fill in guy but not starter talent

Harlan Huckleby
01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I thought Aaron Rouse would make everybody forget about Bigby. Unfortunately, Rouse seemed to get injured every single game.

channtheman
01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
We had better draft a stud D or O lineman. Anything else is just stupid.

packers11
01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
We had better draft a stud D or O lineman. Anything else is just stupid.

Did you watch Ed Reed today? :lol:

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Bigby is good.

making a huge hit.. thats about all ive seen from him

Zool
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Bigby is good.

Last year he had some good games. He's a good run stuffer and he was always around the ball. This year when he did play, he wasnt doing much of anything. Last year might have been a fluke and thats why he was available.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 08:22 PM
About Mays, are we really sure he's coming out? Any chance he stays for his senior year?

Zool
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
About Mays, are we really sure he's coming out? Any chance he stays for his senior year?

If you were in his shoes, and almost guaranteed a top 10 spot, would you risk injury? Will a safety ever go in the top 5?

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 08:36 PM

If you were in his shoes, and almost guaranteed a top 10 spot, would you risk injury? Will a safety ever go in the top 5?

This sort of thing depends on personality. Some guys come out early, even though it's ill-advised, because they hate school (e.g. Shonn Greene). Some guys will stay in, even though it's ill-advised, because they love the whole college scene (e.g. Matt Leinart).

Staying in a year cost Leinart a lot of draft positions and some money, but he may well be out of the league in a couple of years and the millions he has already received would mean he doesn't have to work anymore unless he has to, so I can't say it's necessarily the wrong decision.

I could very much see Carroll trying to convince his Jr. defensive stars to stay in a year so they can go out with a national championship. Who knows who will listen to him?

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I kind of like Bigby and think he has the skillset to be a similiar player to Bob Sanders. We just don't use it from.

SkinBasket
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I kind of like Bigby and think he has the skillset to be a similiar player to Bob Sanders. We just don't use it from.

http://blogs.iwcc.edu/thespyceoflife/files/2008/06/i_see_dumb_people_o_o_by_cool_slayer.jpg

Good fucking god.

Partial
01-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Can't say one way or another. Late last season he played very well. This year he never hit the ground running. Too soon to tell imo, and in all honesty we probably never will know since he's a walking injury imo.

SkinBasket
01-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Well, then by the same token, I kind of like me and think I have the skillset to be a similiar player to Brett Favre. No one just don't use it from me.

b bulldog
01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
In all truthfullness, he hasn't put up much for numbers in his college career. It is all great to look like a beast in shorts or your uniform but you need to make plays.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Bigby is good.

See the Seattle as a prime example of the type of player Bigby could be if he A) reaches his potential consistently B) stays healthy.

That is one heck of a player.

SkinBasket
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Bigby is good.

See the Seattle as a prime example of the type of player Bigby could be if he A) reaches his potential consistently B) stays healthy.

And you're the same fucking guy who went berserko telling everyone they couldn't judge Mongomery on the one great game he had this season. Now you're pointing to one game Bigby's had a year ago as an example of what kind of player he can be? Gee, that's great Partial. I'm guessing the only difference here is that one of the players has received the coveted seal of Partial fanboyism and the other hasn't.

And I'll counter your Seattle game argument the same way I did last time it was brought up. See Ryan Leaf's game against Denver in 2000. Surely it was an indicator of what kind of player he was, right? That's why he's had such a long and fruitful NFL career.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Skin, I think Bigby was a playmaker last year. You knew he was out there - he wasn't invisible, and it wasn't that you knew he was out there cuz he was getting flagged all the time.

I think Bigby is a hitter, I think he makes plays on the ball, and I think like many safeties (Sharper, Darren, and Collins, Nick) he's taking a couple of years to develop.

As for Mays, hey, if he's that great - I don't know anything about him - nad he's the best player on the board at #9, take the guy. I'd rather have a star safety than a mediocre defensive tackle.

Partial
01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Bigby is good.

And you're the same fucking guy who went berserko telling everyone they couldn't judge Mongomery on the one great game he had this season. Now you're pointing to one game Bigby's had a year ago as an example of what kind of player he can be? Gee, that's great Partial. I'm guessing the only difference here is that one of the players has received the coveted seal of Partial fanboyism and the other hasn't.

And I'll counter your Seattle game argument the same way I did last time it was brought up. See Ryan Leaf's game against Denver in 2000. Surely it was an indicator of what kind of player he was, right? That's why he's had such a long and fruitful NFL career.

I'm saying thats the kind of potential that he has. I'm not saying he is some super stud. Monty, on the other hand, has never made a play prior to that game. Bigby has consistently laid the would, forced fumbles, and had a few picks.

I doubt Bigby turns into anything because he cannot stay healthy. But he's been ok when he has been healthy.

sharpe1027
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Bigby is good.

A year ago he made plays in coverage and was solid in run support. He took a few bad angles, but less than Sharper did early on. He was never an pro-bowl candidate, but given that it was his first time starting, he looked pretty good and there was hope that he would keep improving. Instead he took a step back.

My take: He's not terrible at everything, like you seem to suggest, and he has shown some promise, but he has yet to prove anything.

Bossman641
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I think Bigby lucked out with more than a few of his picks last year. There were at least 2-3 where he was completely out of position and had the ball come to him via a horribly thrown pass or tip. It's not like he was reading the QB and making breaks on balls. Who knows, maybe the light will come on for him. He was a solid tackler in the 07 season though.

sharpe1027
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Bigby lucked out with more than a few of his picks last year. There were at least 2-3 where he was completely out of position and had the ball come to him via a horribly thrown pass or tip. It's not like he was reading the QB and making breaks on balls. Who knows, maybe the light will come on for him. He was a solid tackler in the 07 season though.

I don't think saying he was "completely out of position" is fair. He plays safety, which often means his correct position is behind the WRs.

I don't remember Roman making those same plays. Maybe it is luck, as you suggested, or maybe Bigby was actually in position to be able to capitalize on bad throws...either way, it sure seemed he was around the ball a heck of a lot.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Bigby got fortunate early last year, but the dude was ballin' at the end. I'm not sold yet that he'll return to being the guy we saw at the end of last year. I'm also not big on the Rouse bandwagon. I've actually a bit intrigued by Peprah. He's a little undersized, but doesn't seem shy about hitting people. He's also intelligent. Unless a can't miss, Sean Taylor like prospect is there and there's nobody at DL or LB available worth the #9 pick, I'm not big on drafting safety that high though.

rbaloha1
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Unless a can't miss, Sean Taylor like prospect is there and there's nobody at DL or LB available worth the #9 pick, I'm not big on drafting safety that high though.

Taylor Mays=Steve Atwater

TennesseePackerBacker
01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Put me down on the B.J. Raji, Jason Smith bandwagon. I'd love to see either of these picks at #9...or more foreseeably, the 11-14 range after a trade down nets us a high 2nd or 3rd.

I believe either of these two could be starters and even great players as tackles on both sides of the ball in the future.