PDA

View Full Version : Damn Media!!!!!

packinpatland
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Didn't want this to get buried in all the other Favre threads..........
doesn't excuse the INT's or the outcome of the game, but wow......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3806019

Jones: 'I've got most respect for Brett'
ESPN.com news services

New York Jets running back Thomas Jones clarified on Friday his critical comments of earlier this week on Brett Favre, saying he would expect the record-setting quarterback to answer questions the same way about him if he had performed poorly in a key game.

"I've got most respect for Brett," Jones said in an interview on ESPN's First Take. "He's one of the best quarterbacks of all-time. He's a great teammate, you know, he brought a lot to our team this year."

Jones said his aim in doing the radio interview Tuesday with New York's Hot 97 FM wasn't to talk about Favre or the Jets but to promote his music business.

"I didn't go up there [to] participate in Brett Favre questions," he said. "So when she asked me the question about interceptions, I answered it, as far as how I felt from the game -- the Miami game."
Favre threw three interceptions in the Jets' season-ending 24-17 loss to Miami that clinched the AFC East for the Dolphins. The Jets' 1-4 finish kept them out of the playoffs and helped trigger Eric Mangini's firing as coach.

"The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality," Jones told the radio station. "If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality. ... I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones told Hot 97 FM. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team. So when you get to the wire and somebody is just giving the game up, I mean, it's just not [fair]."

On Friday, Jones said his interview with the radio station "got chopped up."
"I'm not the type of person that goes out there and just throws people under the bus or make comments about people," Jones said. "Either I answer a question honestly, realistically, or I don't answer it at all."
Jones said he limited the scope of his remarks to Favre's Sunday turnovers.

"The only thing that I could give my opinion on was the interceptions. And that's what I did," he said. "As far as him coming out of the game, that's not my call just like if I'm the game and I'm not playing well, and I have two or three fumbles, that's not my call."

The nine-year veteran said he hasn't discussed the comments with Favre but likely would.

"I'll talk to Brett. Everything is cool with me and Brett. He's a great guy," Jones said. "We have a lot of fun over there at work. I answered the question. I would expect him to answer the question the same way about me if I had two fumbles and it was a situation where I wasn't playing well and he answered the question the same way. I wouldn't look at him any different. I wouldn't be sensitive to the answer because we all know in this league you have to protect the football to win."

Jones, who finished the season with 1,312 yards -- 23 yards short of his career high set with the Chicago Bears in 2005 -- was held to 23 yards Sunday on 10 carries. Leon Washington led the Jets on the ground with 60 yards.

"Bottom line, we make a lot of money in this league to go out there and make plays and win football games, and as a team everybody has to be accountable," Jones said. "I have a great relationship with Brett."

Jones said the team as a whole was ultimately responsible for Sunday's loss.

"We were driving and we were in position a couple of times. . . . And it didn't work out," he said Friday. "Nobody's perfect, trust me. I'm not perfect by any means. Brett Favre's not perfect by any means.

"There's not one person on that team when we win a game. Everybody on that team contributed. The trainers, the practice squad guys, everybody on that team contributed. When we lose a game, everybody's included. Everybody could always do something better.

"So of course when things aren't going the way you want them to go it's not a personal attack on that player as an individual performance. We get paid a lot of money to make plays."

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Sounds like somebody got a call from his agent.
:D

bobblehead
01-02-2009, 03:11 PM
What about the other 4 teammates that trashed him....were they misquoted as well??

Look, he is backpedalling cuz he very realistically might have to play with brett next season. NO shocker.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Your thread title says it all, PIP.

Predictably, the media has turned on Favre. Jones got trapped into saying some controversial things--never mind that he was right, it ain't the way things are done.

The media assholes ask leading questions, take things out of context, "chop up" responses, etc. Favre himself was a victim of this consistently during the whole retirement fiasco. Rodgers, and I suppose a lot of others all experienced the same type of crap.

Favre should have stayed retired; He should probably retire to stay this time; He should have known what a rats nest--no pun intended--New York and the rotten media people there are.

Whatever. This whole mess is no longer relevant in Packer country.

Patler
01-02-2009, 03:44 PM
"Damn Media!!!" is right! What business do they have asking a prominent professional athlete questions about his just completed season? And printing exact quotes of his responses? What nerve! Those bastards! :roll: :roll:

packinpatland
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
"Damn Media!!!" is right! What business do they have asking a prominent professional athlete questions about his just completed season? And printing exact quotes of his responses? What nerve! Those bastards! :roll: :roll:

Exact 'chopped' quotes.............there's a difference.

PackerTimer
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Have you ever heard the phrase damage control? That's all this is.

This is the typical my comments were taken out of context b.s. you always hear.

Bossman641
01-02-2009, 03:53 PM

Weren't the comments made on a radio show?

I don't have the desire to do it, but I'm sure you could find a recording of the interview somewhere. Then we could really see how much is "chopped up." I'd guess not much. This is a little different then a paper using 1 or 2 quotes from an entire conversation in an article.

This is Jones just trying to backtrack on what he said.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
It's that "gotcha" liberal media doncha know. See how they're treating that wonderful original maverick Brett Favre. He's the only one who can reach across the line of scrimmage to make sure that the other team gets just as many INTs as he throws TDs for his own team. That's real, true American bipartisanship right there.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
The world--football and otherwise--would be better off without media assholes stirring up trouble and even influencing outcomes.

Arguably, without those stinking bastards manipulating him, Favre would neither have retired in the first place or un-retired.

packinpatland
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Weren't the comments made on a radio show?

I don't have the desire to do it, but I'm sure you could find a recording of the interview somewhere. Then we could really see how much is "chopped up." I'd guess not much. This is a little different then a paper using 1 or 2 quotes from an entire conversation in an article.

This is Jones just trying to backtrack on what he said.

In all likelihood, you're right. It's all about 'coverage'........few people listen to(outside the immediate area) a radio talk show.....but put the article for all the read on ESPN.......well, that's a horse of different color.

And Cheesehead.........don't be testing my New Year's Resolution on day 2! :lol:

Patler
01-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I think Jones probably said exactly what the printed quotes have him saying, but it probably came out in a way that he didn't really intend. I doubt that he meant to be that harsh or that critical, it just came out that way. Now he is trying to backtrack a bit. People do that all the time.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2009, 04:03 PM
And Cheesehead.........don't be testing my New Year's Resolution on day 2! :lol:
I just had to do one Palin reference given the thread title and discussion. I'm sure all the Joe Six-Packs out there will forgive me.

pbmax
01-02-2009, 04:03 PM
The world--football and otherwise--would be better off without media assholes stirring up trouble and even influencing outcomes.

Arguably, without those stinking bastards manipulating him, Favre would neither have retired in the first place or un-retired.
Tex, do you realize you are saying that Thomas Jones was outsmarted by an FM Hip Hop DJ and Favre was bullied into unretiring by Chris Mortensen? :lol:

I love conspiracy theories, but this one needs work.

Brando19
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM

Damn professional athlete bastards!

See! I took your statement and chopped it up and came up with this! Haha... :lol:

I know what you mean, Patler. It's not the media's fault....Jones seems to be backing up on his statements now.

Noodle
01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
He owned up to saying that the picks ticked him off. He said his quote about benching guys who turn the ball over got taken out of context. He said he was answering a general question, not directed at Favre, on turnovers. He also refused to say whether he thought Favre should have been benched, saying that wasn't his decision.

Jones sounded like a decent guy who wasn't thinking quite fast enough about the consequences of his statements.

packerbacker1234
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM

Predictably, the media has turned on Favre. Jones got trapped into saying some controversial things--never mind that he was right, it ain't the way things are done.

The media assholes ask leading questions, take things out of context, "chop up" responses, etc. Favre himself was a victim of this consistently during the whole retirement fiasco. Rodgers, and I suppose a lot of others all experienced the same type of crap.

Favre should have stayed retired; He should probably retire to stay this time; He should have known what a rats nest--no pun intended--New York and the rotten media people there are.

Yeah, but that same media changes their opinions on a dime. Look how hard they were ripping Eli two years ago: The this last season, at teh end and all the way to the superbowl, he was just on fire.

Favre could easily come back next season, get off to a much better start personally then this season, and all of last season will of been forgotten, and the media will blame the first parts of the year on him not having a true offseason of work, and the later parts of the season on the injury. I don't think the rats nest of media in new york is going to effect his decision.

I want to see him back simply because I love watching him play. At the same time, he needs to do what is best for Brett. If he feels it's best to come back and play again, like the jets wanted him to do (2 years) when they got him, then yeah.

I think after all this media BS, the mangini firing, etc, favre almost has to come back at this point. I doubt the teammates really "dislike" favre, I think they just felt the jets management and coaching staff continually made excuses for him, and did hold Brett accountable for his play. They virtually let Brett be Brett, and when Favre has played his best football is when the head coach has reigned him in. Got him to settle down, and sure you let him make some plays, take some chances, but you get him to listen to you at the same time.

McCarthy really reigned him in. Holgrem reigned him in. Magini didn't, and he didn't have any sort of track record to reign anyone in on. At least McCarthy had been a QB coach for some time.

Anyways, if they land Shanonhan, which looks like their next target, I'de be hard pressed not to return. Lots of a talent, and a proven winner at Head Coach.

Packers4Ever
01-02-2009, 09:18 PM

I wonder how Brett responded to some of Jones' interview - becauce I turned ESPN on just after the show began. Jones told how
Brett wasn't friendly with the rest of the team, wouldn't go out to eat
with them, etc...etc...
Damn Media is right !!! But when will Brett remember he doesn't HAVE to
respond to all these media personnel, doesn't have to spill it all out ??
Jones should have known better too, you don't do this to a TEAMMATE !!!

MJZiggy
01-02-2009, 09:35 PM

I wonder how Brett responded to some of Jones' interview - becauce I turned ESPN on just after the show began. Jones told how
Brett wasn't friendly with the rest of the team, wouldn't go out to eat
with them, etc...etc...
Damn Media is right !!! But when will Brett remember he doesn't HAVE to
respond to all these media personnel, doesn't have to spill it all out ??
Jones should have known better too, you don't do this to a TEAMMATE !!!

Unless perhaps you don't plan on that teammate being around next season??

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2009, 11:58 PM
this topic belongs in the Favre Section! :evil: :)

MOBB DEEP
01-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Yeah, but that same media changes their opinions on a dime. Look how hard they were ripping Eli two years ago: The this last season, at teh end and all the way to the superbowl, he was just on fire.

Favre could easily come back next season, get off to a much better start personally then this season, and all of last season will of been forgotten, and the media will blame the first parts of the year on him not having a true offseason of work, and the later parts of the season on the injury. I don't think the rats nest of media in new york is going to effect his decision.

I want to see him back simply because I love watching him play. At the same time, he needs to do what is best for Brett. If he feels it's best to come back and play again, like the jets wanted him to do (2 years) when they got him, then yeah.

I think after all this media BS, the mangini firing, etc, favre almost has to come back at this point. I doubt the teammates really "dislike" favre, I think they just felt the jets management and coaching staff continually made excuses for him, and did hold Brett accountable for his play. They virtually let Brett be Brett, and when Favre has played his best football is when the head coach has reigned him in. Got him to settle down, and sure you let him make some plays, take some chances, but you get him to listen to you at the same time.

McCarthy really reigned him in. Holgrem reigned him in. Magini didn't, and he didn't have any sort of track record to reign anyone in on. At least McCarthy had been a QB coach for some time.

Anyways, if they land Shanonhan, which looks like their next target, I'de be hard pressed not to return. Lots of a talent, and a proven winner at Head Coach.

QFT...

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Tex, do you realize you are saying that Thomas Jones was outsmarted by an FM Hip Hop DJ and Favre was bullied into unretiring by Chris Mortensen? :lol:

I love conspiracy theories, but this one needs work.

You find that far-fetched? That's exactly what I meant. It's all about leading questions, conclusions made by the media assholes, and the prospect of looking like a fool if the player then flip-flops--or seems to.