PDA

View Full Version : WAYNE LARIVEE---END OF SEASON INTERVIEW

Bretsky
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Can't recall if this was posted

Very interesting listening to the Packer main announcer on their flagship station. Along with Larry Mac he covers the Packers all year long and spends plenty of time around them as well.

A few rock solid points he pounded home

1. The obvious. AROD is not the problem or even part of the problem. He played very solid in his first year and his play should offer a lot of promise of what we can see in the years ahead. And the comebacks will come with experience. He made excuses for a few of the late game INT's.

2. Larivee noted something I really don't buy into. He said Favre is one of the few players in the NFL who can elevate the play of the offense around him by his presence. I think this has been debated in here already.

3. He really pounded the point home that Green Bay lacks leadership and needs more veteran presence....especially on the defensive side of the ball. He said they have a couple guys that lead a bit by example on that side of the ball..........but its' lacking.

What he didn't say is they have a laid back weak presence at DC and that does not help the problem any either. That adds to the lack of leadership...........aka.....communication........ .aka........mixups.....we well

pbmax
01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Ryan Pickett - 8 years
Aaron Kampman - 7 years
Cullen Jenkins - 5 years
Nick Barnett - 6 years
Brandon Chillar - 5 years
Al Harris - 11 years
Charles Woodson - 11 years

This is not about veterans. We have veterans, unless Wayne Larravie thinks veteran presence on the bench will be the thing that turns around the defense. Talent and scheme. Talent and scheme.

We need to upgrade the D line, but from a talent standpoint, not an age standpoint. Every frontline player, including Hawk, Poppinga, Cole, Jolly, Collins and Bigby has a significant number of starts under their belt, and even more playing time. No starter is under 3 years of experience.

The average career of an NFL player is under 5 years. The average age of this team is the youngest (or near youngest) in the NFL by decimal points.

Bretsky
01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Ryan Pickett - 8 years
Aaron Kampman - 7 years
Cullen Jenkins - 5 years
Nick Barnett - 6 years
Al Harris - 11 years

This is not about veterans. We have veterans, unless Wayne Larravie thinks veteran presence on the bench will be the thing that turns around the defense. Talent and scheme. Talent and scheme.

We need to upgrade the D line, but from a talent standpoint, not an age standpoint. Every frontline player, including Hawk, Poppinga, Cole, Jolly, Collins and Bigby has a significant number of starts under their belt, and even more playing time. No starter is under 3 years of experience.

The average career of an NFL player is under 5 years. The average age of this team is the youngest (or near youngest) in the NFL by decimal points.

Maybe I wrote that up wrong...........but Lavivee noted the Packers lack leadership on that side and that is where he was hoping they would bring in

Pugger
01-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with a lack of leadership on the offensive side of the ball but from what I've been gathering it appears AR will take that mantle next year. We have a lot of veterans on D but maybe we need a more vocal leader on that side of the ball like we had in Reggie and Leroy Butler back a few years ago.

highlander
01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Ryan Pickett - 8 years
Aaron Kampman - 7 years
Cullen Jenkins - 5 years
Nick Barnett - 6 years
Al Harris - 11 years

Maybe I wrote that up wrong...........but Lavivee noted the Packers lack leadership on that side and that is where he was hoping they would bring in

I agree we have plenty of veterans. We dont have leaders.This is including the Defensive coordinator..

Vets dont = leaders. It is time Collins, Hawk, Barnett and even Kampman take control of this unit...

Brando19
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
On a side note, nice avatar, B.

Gunakor
01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Ryan Pickett - 8 years
Aaron Kampman - 7 years
Cullen Jenkins - 5 years
Nick Barnett - 6 years
Al Harris - 11 years

I agree we have plenty of veterans. We dont have leaders.This is including the Defensive coordinator..

Vets dont = leaders. It is time Collins, Hawk, Barnett and even Kampman take control of this unit...

Barnett was the leader. The defensive meltdown came immediately following his injury. It will be huge getting him back on the field next season.

denverYooper
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Ryan Pickett - 8 years
Aaron Kampman - 7 years
Cullen Jenkins - 5 years
Nick Barnett - 6 years
Al Harris - 11 years

Barnett was the leader. The defensive meltdown came immediately following his injury. It will be huge getting him back on the field next season.

I also thought the D looked a lot less organized after he went down.

Lurker64
01-03-2009, 12:06 PM
3. He really pounded the point home that Green Bay lacks leadership and needs more veteran presence....

Rob Davis really was a huge loss for this team. I never imagined that it would hurt the team so much.

Bretsky
01-03-2009, 12:16 PM

What one is showing now ? I requested a new one with the tech genius and then I'll change my sig as well...............but I still see Son of Favros there

Is somebody seeing anything else and if so, I wonder how I see it ?

cpk1994
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM

What one is showing now ? I requested a new one with the tech genius and then I'll change my sig as well...............but I still see Son of Favros there

Is somebody seeing anything else and if so, I wonder how I see it ?The bikini girls.

denverYooper
01-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Is somebody seeing anything else and if so, I wonder how I see it ?

Clear your browser cache.

rbaloha1
01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Veterans does not necessarily mean leadership.

On defense someone needs to hold players for missed assignments along with firing up the defense like Reggie White or Leroy Butler.

Maybe Al Harris is the guy.

bobblehead
01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Its not leadership per ce, its the "chip" on the shoulder some guys need to have around them. Bigby and Barnett are the big chip on the shoulder guys on our D and they were both lost...and like gunakor said, when barnet went down so did the D.

I think getting them back will help a lot, but still would like another DL to help us along.

Imagine the dream scenario. Barnet and Bigby come back with attitude. Jenkins stays healthy. Harrell contributes (high standards :) ) and we draft a rookie DL at 9 that has an impact. Our D could become very solid again in a hurry. It might even become dominant.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised and pleased to see Nick Barnett finally getting some respect. It's a shame he had to go out injured for it to happen.

I've never bought into the value of "leadership". However, the time factor is undeniable--the D going to hell with Barnett was lost. Barnett, Jenkins, Harris, Hawk--that's arguably four of the top six Packers on D injured a large part of the season. Another of the top six, Woodson, not to mention Collins--who is probably the next best--played hurt most of the season. And Bigby and Rouse and Jolly and Pickett ....... And I completely forgot Harrell.

Kampman apparently wasn't hurt, but he played like a shadow of himself compared to '07--maybe because of the MIAs and walking wounded around him.

Yet some still claim this was something other than an injury ruined season.

Packerarcher
01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Ryan Pickett - 8 years
Aaron Kampman - 7 years
Cullen Jenkins - 5 years
Nick Barnett - 6 years
Al Harris - 11 years

Just because they are vetran players doesn't make them leaders.

digitaldean
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I also heard Larrivee in another interview say that McCarthy has done a great job with ARod. He further stated that ARod would never have been as good as he was this year if Shermy was not fired.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I also heard Larrivee in another interview say that McCarthy has done a great job with ARod. He further stated that ARod would never have been as good as he was this year if Shermy was not fired.

Favre would never have been as good as he was last year had Shermy not been fired, either. MM knows how to coach QB's. Sherman doesn't have a clue, and wouldn't have ever lasted 5 years if he hadn't inherited a HOF QB to begin with.

Patler
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM

How can he say that?
Has he forgotten that Craig Nall was nurtured under Sherman?? :lol: :lol: