PDA

View Full Version : JS- "PACKERS 2008 TEAM GRADES"

Bretsky
01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37018589.html

OUCH

pbmax
01-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Was Bob this afraid of finesse when Holmgren coached the Offense? Because those guys weren't road graders either. He even concedes that they markedly improved short yardage, yet he still calls them soft and blames the ZBS. I think they suffer in his mind because they do not look like Sherman's Packer's when they run the ball.

Walsh once commented that he hadn't seen a team run Sherman's running plays very often in the pros, comparing it as closer to college schemes. But it has clearly become more popular in the NFL, as you see lots of Power O and Gap now a day. What did Walsh and Holmgren run for a ground game? They ran split backs until Holmgren had to switch to the I for Waters/Green/Alexander. The 49ers/Holmgren Pack weren't counter teams, did they trap?

Iron Mike
01-04-2009, 08:42 AM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*268/packers29-packers29-30-of-hoffman.jpg

M3 drops an F-bomb!!!! 8-)

Pugger
01-04-2009, 09:24 AM
MM wasn't the only one spewing that adjective at times this season either!!! :lol: :lol:

b bulldog
01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Greay article, give'em hell Bob

sheepshead
01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I have a hard time disagreeing with the article.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm intrigued by this after Bob gives TT praise for Rodgers

In other areas, Thompson wasn't nearly as successful. By trading down four times (against trading up once), he almost guaranteed the Packers would be the NFL's youngest team for a third straight year. The move down from No. 30 to No. 36 forfeited a shot at all-rookie type players in tight end Dustin Keller, safety Kenny Phillips, defensive end Phillip Merling and wide receiver Donnie Avery and prompted the selection of Jordy Nelson, the only one of nine draftees to make a sizable contribution.

1, McGinn seems to often take jabs at TT for all these trade downs

2. One might argue a 6-10 team should get more production out of its rookies

3. I was a Philip Merling guy at that spot; I often wondered how he faired form the Chargers because he didn't have a lot of stats. Keller and Kenny Phillips would look good for the Pack

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm intrigued by this after Bob gives TT praise for Rodgers

In other areas, Thompson wasn't nearly as successful. By trading down four times (against trading up once), he almost guaranteed the Packers would be the NFL's youngest team for a third straight year. The move down from No. 30 to No. 36 forfeited a shot at all-rookie type players in tight end Dustin Keller, safety Kenny Phillips, defensive end Phillip Merling and wide receiver Donnie Avery and prompted the selection of Jordy Nelson, the only one of nine draftees to make a sizable contribution.

1, McGinn seems to often take jabs at TT for all these trade downs

2. One might argue a 6-10 team should get more production out of its rookies

3. I was a Philip Merling guy at that spot; I often wondered how he faired form the Chargers because he didn't have a lot of stats. Keller and Kenny Phillips would look good for the Pack

I don't know that Keller or Phillips would have made a much more significant contribution to this team this year than Nelson did. Lee had just gotten a contract extension last year, so he was going to be the starter at TE. There was nothing wrong with our defensive backfield this year, though Phillips may have gotten his shot to start rather than moving Chuck back to SS for a few weeks. In Nelson we got a guy who IMO has the best hands on the entire roster - DD included. He dropped just ONE ball thrown to him all season long. This guy is going to be special too. Just wait, you'll see.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Does anyone else find the 19.9% of the time blitz figure to be low? I know Sanders isn't running the Gritz Blitz, but he did seem to send more people more often this year and the LB/CB sack and pressure numbers seem to show this. So either he was zone blitzing more, and McGinn has that number low as well, or this number is wacky.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm a little surprised that McGuinn is so harsh on MM.

Did McGunn think MM was horrible when the team went 12-4?

coaches don't get stupid in one year.

I can't argue with most of what McGinn says. I think he is a smart guy who studies thinks well.

GrnBay007
01-04-2009, 01:32 PM

I can't argue with most of what McGinn says. I think he is a smart guy who studies thinks well.

Maybe MM's head wasn't in it in 2008. He did get married, appears to have gained about 40-50 lbs. (stress probably) and is rumored to have joined a high society GB clique with his wife. Maybe he didn't put in the hours he did the year before? Who knows.

....or, maybe the 12-4 season was more reflective on BF then coaching?

....or maybe something completely unrelated to any of the above. :P

pbmax
01-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe MM's head wasn't in it in 2008. He did get married, appears to have gained about 40-50 lbs. (stress probably) and is rumored to have joined a high society GB clique with his wife. Maybe he didn't put in the hours he did the year before? Who knows.

If he was worried about socializing, wouldn't he have dropped weight? Coaches who are grinding are usually the ones eating horribly and not exercising. We saw Sherman and Holmgren get big. Reid too. Who was the last active coach to lose weight?

GrnBay007
01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

If he was worried about socializing, wouldn't he have dropped weight? Coaches who are grinding are usually the ones eating horribly and not exercising.

I think he had already gained the weight by the time he got married. The socializing is rumored to have started after he was married to a woman who is involved in a high society clique in GB.

Maybe there's nothing to it. I just heard a lot of the GB natives were surprised he was part of this whole clique (that his wife is involved in), as coaches don't normally do that.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM

If he was worried about socializing, wouldn't he have dropped weight? Coaches who are grinding are usually the ones eating horribly and not exercising.

I think he had already gained the weight by the time he got married. The socializing is rumored to have started after he was married to a woman who is involved in a high society clique in GB.

Maybe there's nothing to it. I just heard a lot of the GB natives were surprised he was part of this whole clique (that his wife is involved in), as coaches don't normally do that.

Chicks do that to the best of men :wink:

Partial
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Merling didn't play much for Miami this year, but you've gotta like a 6-4 290 guy going forward. Can't teach that size.

bobblehead
01-04-2009, 11:18 PM

I think when I suggested this might be a problem before the season Ty mocked me.