PDA

View Full Version : Ken Wisenhunt has balls, does MM?

channtheman
01-04-2009, 12:16 AM
The Cardinals played to win the football game today and they did just that. Getting the ball back with 4 minutes left in the game, did the Cardinals run 3 times and punt like they are supposed to? No! They ran a play action pass 3 different times each time completing it for a first down, when they were SUPPOSED to run. They didn't play by the books and it got them their first win in the playoffs in years.

I wonder if Mike McCarthy will be able to do so ever. I don't know if he can or ever will do the unexpected things during the game that will get you the win. MM lost the Packers some games this year because of his inability to go for the win. Instead of trying to get the first down and the win in some situations this year, he would instead not trust Rodgers to get it done and instead punt or attempt a field goal when we needed more points. This is why I have a mixed opinion of MM. On one hand, firing your coach will only set the team back, on the other hand, if MM can't get it done, do you waste time with him?

Partial
01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Ken Whiz definitely plays to win from what I've seen. MM does not, and that scares me.

Jimx29
01-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Ken Whiz definitely plays to win from what I've seen. MM does not, and that scares me.And worse yet, the player are not scared of MM.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
The Cardinals played to win the football game today and they did just that. Getting the ball back with 4 minutes left in the game, did the Cardinals run 3 times and punt like they are supposed to? No! They ran a play action pass 3 different times each time completing it for a first down, when they were SUPPOSED to run. They didn't play by the books and it got them their first win in the playoffs in years.

I wonder if Mike McCarthy will be able to do so ever. I don't know if he can or ever will do the unexpected things during the game that will get you the win. MM lost the Packers some games this year because of his inability to go for the win. Instead of trying to get the first down and the win in some situations this year, he would instead not trust Rodgers to get it done and instead punt or attempt a field goal when we needed more points. This is why I have a mixed opinion of MM. On one hand, firing your coach will only set the team back, on the other hand, if MM can't get it done, do you waste time with him?
Interesting theory. But I will be more convinced after they are better than 9-7 in the regular season. Or after they win more than one playoff game in 60 years.

Direct snap to Flynn ring any bells?

People who try to kill the clock by passing lose as often as they win. Expecially on the road, when your pass protection is compromised.

McCarthy is 27-21, 2-1 in the playoffs.

Wisenhunt is 17-15, 1-0 in the playoffs.

Everything looks good when you win. But that doesn't mean every decision was sound.

channtheman
01-04-2009, 02:09 AM

Interesting theory. But I will be more convinced after they are better than 9-7 in the regular season. Or after they win more than one playoff game in 60 years.

People who try to kill the clock by passing lose as often as they win. Expecially on the road, when your pass protection is compromised.

Everything looks good when you win. But that doesn't mean every decision was sound.

I guess what my problem is, is that when the Packers do what they are supposed to do and run the ball to kill the clock, they still lose. So why not take that shot and play action pass to your receiver instead of running into a wall defenders?

I liked how MM called the first half of the Bears game. I really liked it. I thought "WOW, MM is playing really aggressive football." And it was great to see that. But then, he reverted back to his old self in the second half. This is more than just a few games this year though, we almost lost some games last year because of MM's mindset of "We HAVE to run the ball and run out the clock," despite us not being a power running team that can run even when everyone knows we want to.

SnakeLH2006
01-04-2009, 03:24 AM

I guess what my problem is, is that when the Packers do what they are supposed to do and run the ball to kill the clock, they still lose. So why not take that shot and play action pass to your receiver instead of running into a wall defenders?

I liked how MM called the first half of the Bears game. I really liked it. I thought "WOW, MM is playing really aggressive football." And it was great to see that. But then, he reverted back to his old self in the second half. This is more than just a few games this year though, we almost lost some games last year because of MM's mindset of "We HAVE to run the ball and run out the clock," despite us not being a power running team that can run even when everyone knows we want to.

MM is quite conservative, but let the balls loose on Arod for Christ's sake as I do think ARod can be an elite QB, and have served notice on his lack of late game awareness, but now looking back, how much was that on conservative playcalling. The best coaches put the ball into their best players hands. I was a big MM fan at 13-3 and think he's still a good coach, but damn if he doesn't need to open it up a bit.

As far as Flynn (do you think he'd do that if the game mattered)...Nope. End post.

Partial
01-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Whiz is a smart coach too. How often are we seeing/hearing of the free kick at the end of the half now that Whiz did it?

How often were we seeing/hearing about it before? NEVER! I am guessing most coaches had no idea it existed, since it was what 40 years since it was last converted?

TravisWilliams23
01-04-2009, 07:11 AM
MM knew about the free kick and TRIED it against Detroit.
Crosby's 69 Yard attempt was no good so maybe Wiz learned that
one from MM!
That's something I saw Lombardi use in his time and once you see
it, you NEVER forget about it's possibility in a game. It's been around
a looooong time.

Rastak
01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
channtheman, did you go to the game? Looked like a fun game to attend.

packerbacker1234
01-04-2009, 08:53 AM
one from MM!
a looooong time.

Yes, MM tried it. In the last game of the season in a otherwise meaningless game for both teams. Cardinals did what, sometime in the first 5 games of the season, in a game that mattered for them. So, to say Wiz learned it from MM is downright foolish. Whiz did it first, and in a game that mattered. MM did in a meaningless game at the end of the season. (it did look like Crosby had the leg for it too).

TravisWilliams23
01-04-2009, 09:50 AM
one from MM!
a looooong time.

Yes, MM tried it. In the last game of the season in a otherwise meaningless game for both teams. Cardinals did what, sometime in the first 5 games of the season, in a game that mattered for them. So, to say Wiz learned it from MM is downright foolish. Whiz did it first, and in a game that mattered. MM did in a meaningless game at the end of the season. (it did look like Crosby had the leg for it too).

I didn't mean it infer Whiz learned it from MM. I was only suggesting that coaches before Whiz used it knew of the rule, hence my reference to MM using
it against Detroit a week earlier.

It can really only be used at the end of halves because if you miss the
other team gets the ball at the spot of the kick.

Meaningless game or not, MM did know of the rule.

Zool
01-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Very nice. The Cards go 2-4 after the have the division wrapped up and all the sudden he's some sort of great coach? The 2 teams they beat were the Rams and Seahawks. Anyone want to recall which team Favre threw 6 TD's against earlier in the year?

packerbacker1234
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
one from MM!
a looooong time.

I didn't mean it infer Whiz learned it from MM. I was only suggesting that coaches before Whiz used it knew of the rule, hence my reference to MM using
it against Detroit a week earlier.

It can really only be used at the end of halves because if you miss the
other team gets the ball at the spot of the kick.

Meaningless game or not, MM did know of the rule.

Did he, because it would seem to me a free kick would be attempted a hell of a lot more if coaches knew about the rule. How often has a half ended with the ball around the 50 yard line and tossing a hail mary. Sorry, but when it wasn;t even attempted in 30 years, made in 40, yeah, pretty sure coaches didn't know abou tit. Hell, MM was what, 2 years old when it was last made, 10 last attempted? meh.

TravisWilliams23
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
My apologies to Partial on the free kick for Whiz.
He DID use it in week 12 against the Giants.
The original post by Channtheman was about yesterdays Cards game
and because I didn't see the game I assumed Partials reply was about
THAT game.

Watched the YouTube vids of both attempts and Crosby's just fell short
but Rackers was a miss hit totally.

packerbacker1234
01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Very nice. The Cards go 2-4 after the have the division wrapped up and all the sudden he's some sort of great coach? The 2 teams they beat were the Rams and Seahawks. Anyone want to recall which team Favre threw 6 TD's against earlier in the year?

First off: He is being touted as a "great" coach for his agressiveness in the playoff victory yesterday. Sure, they went 2-4 after the division was wrapped up, and yeah, Favre carved up their D for 6 td's earlier this year: But if earlier this year matters now... then...

1. Chargers would not be in hte playoffs. Yet, here they sit with a win over the colts, who earlier this year, should not be in the playoffs.

2. Giants have no weaknesses, and virtually can't be beat.

3. Cardinals would still be in the playoffs regardless, and the packers win the NFC North.

Just saying, earlier this year doesn't matter come playoffs. Ravens kicked the crap out of Miami earlier in the year, but your kidding yourself if you think that game wont be tight.

2-4 after division is wrapped upw as more or less because they had nothing to really play for. Just get healthy. There isn't much of a difference between a 3 and 4 seed.

TravisWilliams23
01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
packerbacker1234,
The reason the free kick isn't attempted more often is because of the rare
instances it can be used.
It has to be on a fair catch and then it would have to be at the end of a
1st half with very little time left because of the placement after a miss or
at the end of a game with the score 3 points or less to consider using it.

Those are probably the major reasons you don't see it used more often.
I'm sure the majority of NFL coaches know of the rule.

Zool
01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
So essentially great coaches are ones that dominate one of the worst divisions in the history of football and back their way into the playoffs because their division opponents had a combined 13 wins this season? I'm not saying he's a bad coach but one good game does not make him the second coming.

And yes, I think the Dolphins are going to get their asses handed to them on a platter. I could be wrong.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Whiz is a smart coach too. How often are we seeing/hearing of the free kick at the end of the half now that Whiz did it?

How often were we seeing/hearing about it before? NEVER! I am guessing most coaches had no idea it existed, since it was what 40 years since it was last converted?As usual you are wrong again. McCarthy used against Detroit LAST WEEK. I guess you could say if it wasn't for M3, Whiz porobably doesn't know about it. I think McCarthy is the smart one on that.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I think every competent coach knows about the fair catch kick rule. It's not that complicated. It's just that it rarely, if ever, comes up.

bobblehead
01-04-2009, 11:47 AM

How often were we seeing/hearing about it before? NEVER! I am guessing most coaches had no idea it existed, since it was what 40 years since it was last converted?As usual you are wrong again. McCarthy used against Detroit LAST WEEK. I guess you could say if it wasn't for M3, Whiz porobably doesn't know about it. I think McCarthy is the smart one on that.

Since I was fully aware of it I'm quite sure 99% of all NFL coaches are aware of it.

In fairness I think Whiz did it 3 weeks earlier. I'm not going to bag on Whisnehunt he seems to have done an ok job, but another coach who was in the NFL and liked to go against the grain was....steve spurrier...that worked out well.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Since I was fully aware of it I'm quite sure 99% of all NFL coaches are aware of it.

In fairness I think Whiz did it 3 weeks earlier. I'm not going to bag on Whisnehunt he seems to have done an ok job, but another coach who was in the NFL and liked to go against the grain was....steve spurrier...that worked out well.Yeah. I didn't read the rest of the thread becuase I repsnmnded to the one I saw. But I noticed that Partial called Whiz smart for it, yet McCarthy used it against Detroit, Partial said, "It doesn't count becuase it was a mkeaningless game" It counts the same no matter what the stakes of the game.

Pugger
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Gee, when the players actually execute the plays the coaches call and they work the coach is considered smart. But if someone misses a block or a tackle folks cry about the play calling. :roll:

Zool
01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Gee, when the players actually execute the plays the coaches call and they work the coach is considered smart. But if someone misses a block or a tackle folks cry about the play calling. :roll:

QFT

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure what MM does, but I give the Cards coaches a ton of credit for going for the jugulars instead of putting it on the D

channtheman
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
one from MM!
a looooong time.

Hate to correct you, but the Cardinals attempted a free kick against the Giants this year BEFORE the Packers did so.

channtheman
01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
channtheman, did you go to the game? Looked like a fun game to attend.

Yes, it was a very fun game to be at. The stadium was almost completely full for the first time this year, save for maybe a few thousand seats scattered about. The crowd was absolutely electric and even though I'm much more of a Packers fan, it was still really fun to cheer the team and boo the refs.

channtheman
01-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Well, one could say as soon as they got behind in those games they didn't really care too much since they had the division wrapped up anyway. That's not the point that I'm making though. I'm saying, Ken Wisenhunt has the BALLS to go for the win in close games and do what he needs to do to get that win. I'm not saying he is a great coach, whether or not he is.

channtheman
01-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Wisenhunt used the free kick against the Giants this year BEFORE the Packers did it against the Giants.

channtheman
01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I think some of you are missing the point that I am making. Mike McCarthy in close games where we have the lead, often puts the game on the defense to win it. With 3 minutes left and the other team having all 3 timeouts, he would run it 3 times and punt giving the other team plenty of time to take the lead or tie.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
With 3 minutes left and the other team having all 3 timeouts, he would run it 3 times and punt giving the other team plenty of time to take the lead or tie.

Many teams at all levels of football would do this. The difference between them and us is that they would regularly get a first down on those three runs.

Partial
01-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Yeah... AFter whiz used it for the first time this season on November 24th.

The last time it was used before that was in 2005 by Jeff fisher.

Before that.... 1984. Honestly, shut the fuck up. I have asked you time and time again to NOT respond to my posts, but you're a disrespectful child.

Either get the facts straight, or don't waste my time.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fair-catch-kick

Hurts to be wrong all the time, doesn't it :lol:

Partial
01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah. I didn't read the rest of the thread becuase I repsnmnded to the one I saw. But I noticed that Partial called Whiz smart for it, yet McCarthy used it against Detroit, Partial said, "It doesn't count becuase it was a mkeaningless game" It counts the same no matter what the stakes of the game.

First of all, don't put words in my mouth, asshole.

Second of all... I'm saying It is a rare thing. Jeff Fisher and Ken Whisenhunt are the only coaches to have used it in the past 25 years.

2 attempts... I'm not speaking from experience because obviously I am not a head coach, but I can think of a slew of situations over the years where teams easily could have attempted this at the end of the first half, yet they haven't.

My guess as to why is they didn't know such a thing existed, otherwise you'd get more than two attempts in 25 years.

Patler
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm not speaking from experience because obviously I am not a head coach, but I can think of a slew of situations over the years where teams easily could have attempted this at the end of the first half, yet they haven't.

My guess as to why is they didn't know such a thing existed, otherwise you'd get more than two attempts in 25 years.

I disagree completely. I have known this rule ever since the Packers used it in the '60s (against the Bears I believe) and the Bears later used it for a game-winning kick against the Packers. I even impressed my son in the Lions game by making the call on 3rd down for the Lions, saying the Packers needed to hold, fair catch a punt and get a free kick. My son, who is in his 20's said "A what?"

The situation rarely comes up. All of the following have to happen:

1. There has to be time enough only for the punt, about 10 seconds or less. If there is more than that, the team will fair catch, run one offensive play to try to shorten the distance, then kick the FG.

2. The punt has to come from well inside the 20 yard line to have a decent shot at it. The Lions punted from the 17, and Crosby was faced with a 69 yard attempt. If the Lion punter had kicked a 45 yard punt instead of a 42 yarder, the Packers may not have even tried the kick from 72 yards.

3. You have to have a very strong-legged kicker, because it will almost always be a 60 yard kick or more. Even a poor punt of 40 yards from the 5 yard line results in a 55 yard attempt on the free kick. It would have been useless to try the kick with Longwell. As good of a kicker as he is, he does not have 69 yard range. or even 65 yard range. He has kicked from 59, but that is about his limit.

4. The return man has to field the punt as a fair catch. Once you know the rule, you will also notice that when a situation like this happens, the punters will often kick away from the return man, even out of bounds to prevent the free kick from happening. I believe the Lion punter tried to do this, but Blackmon still got it and fielded it on his back. This was a big risk, a fumble could have lead to Detroit points.

I have known the rule for 40 years. I called the chance of it happening in the Lion game long before it happened. I do not remember a single time watching a game when a team overlooked a chance to use it. The circumstances are not common.

Partial
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
How many current NFL coaches were alive in the 60s led alone cognisant of the oddities in the NFL? The play was used quite frequently in the 60s. From '64 to '71 it was used 10 times!!! I think most people that are 65+ and big football fans probably remember those plays.

Not saying 10 times is frequent, but its certainly more frequent than it has been lately. It was used on average almost 1.5 times per year during the late 60s!

I don't think most people in their young 40s know of it. I mean its been used twice in the past 25 years.

In the past 25 years, it is used about merely 8% as frequently as in the early 60s, or .12 times per year, or approximately once every 9 years.

These numbers are all from this link. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fair-catch-kick

channtheman
01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
How many current NFL coaches were alive in the 60s led alone cognisant of the oddities in the NFL? The play was used quite frequently in the 60s. From '64 to '71 it was used 10 times!!! I think most people that are 65+ and big football fans probably remember those plays.

Not saying 10 times is frequent, but its certainly more frequent than it has been lately. It was used on average almost 1.5 times per year during the late 60s!

I don't think most people in their young 40s know of it. I mean its been used twice in the past 25 years.

In the past 25 years, it is used about merely 8% as frequently as in the early 60s, or .12 times per year, or approximately once every 9 years.

These numbers are all from this link. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fair-catch-kick

Most people do not know about it, you are correct in this. There is no way to know if the coaches know about it or not. But I do know that the circumstances in which it will be used are rare and they never came up for John Madden. He said he always wanted to do it but he never got the chance.

Patler
01-04-2009, 03:09 PM

A major reason for that is that before 1974 the goal posts were on the goal line, not at the back of the endzone. The attempts were 10 yards shorter.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah. I didn't read the rest of the thread becuase I repsnmnded to the one I saw. But I noticed that Partial called Whiz smart for it, yet McCarthy used it against Detroit, Partial said, "It doesn't count becuase it was a mkeaningless game" It counts the same no matter what the stakes of the game.

First of all, don't put words in my mouth, asshole.

Second of all... I'm saying It is a rare thing. Jeff Fisher and Ken Whisenhunt are the only coaches to have used it in the past 25 years.

2 attempts... I'm not speaking from experience because obviously I am not a head coach, but I can think of a slew of situations over the years where teams easily could have attempted this at the end of the first half, yet they haven't.

My guess as to why is they didn't know such a thing existed, otherwise you'd get more than two attempts in 25 years.Again, why do you continually ignore McCarthy using it against the Lions? Do you hate the guy so much you won't give him any credit. By the way, its funny that you seem to get away with the personal attacks especially calling someone childish, and then calling them an asshole and also telling others who's posts they can respond to, like you are some kind of forum nazi. You are a hypocrite in every sense of the word.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm talking about BEFORE MM did it. I think someone else has used it as well after Wisenhunt did, as well as MM. They probably learned the rule when Wisenhunt did it!

That is the point I am making. I really like what I see out of Wisenhunt. MM was phenomenal last year, but he has certainly slipped quite a bit in my opinion, and the poor play calling we saw against Chicago last year (PR game) popped up more, and more this year. That is a big time concern for me.

With that said, it seems like MM is taking steps towards correcting the problem. The first step is admitting the problems, and he has done that. Not only did he do that, but he took some action and let go Sanders. Hopefully the OC is next! The offense did equally poor imo.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm talking about BEFORE MM did it. I think someone else has used it as well after Wisenhunt did, as well as MM. They probably learned the rule when Wisenhunt did it!

This is very unlikely. I've known about this rule for at least the last five years, and I'm willing to bet almost all NFL coaches know everything I know about football and a whole lot more.

It's an obscure way of scoring, and a neat bit of trivia. What coach wouldn't know about it?

I mean, John Madden during the Saturday Night game mentioned that during his entire coaching career he was always looking for an opportunity to try the fair catch kick, it just never came up. I'm imagining that there are a lot of coaches in that situation.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm not going to call you a liar, but are you reading NFL rule books in your free time?

Prior to Wisenhunt attemping this on Nov 24th 2008, the last attempt was in 2005 from Jeff Fisher. The last time before that was in 1984.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not going to call you a liar, but are you reading NFL rule books in your free time?

Prior to Wisenhunt attemping this on Nov 24th 2008, the last attempt was in 2005 from Jeff Fisher. The last time before that was in 1984.

And Sportscenter does a blurb about it for their pre-game show like clockwork about every year. Kenny Mayne has done a couple of them. But yes, I have a copy of the NFL rulebook, but I knew the fair catch kick rule before I had a copy.

Just because it doesn't happen very often doesn't mean people don't know the rule. The rule is set up in such a way that it only really makes sense to attempt the fair catch kick in one situation: if the other team is punting from deep in their zone as time expires in the second half and the receiving team has the opportunity to make a fair catch.

It just doesn't come up that often, particularly because opposing coaches also know the rule and will try to avoid giving the opposition the opportunity to get points in this way.