PDA

View Full Version : List 5 Specific Changes Needed for 2009 Success....

SnakeLH2006
01-04-2009, 03:10 AM
1) Overhaul the coaching staff with a few assistant coaches who have had success in running solid regimes/systems in recent years on the NFL level.

-Shotty, Stock, and esp. Vanilla Bob and Campy....I'm looking at you.

2) Bring Grant's carries down.

-We have enough talent at RB in Jackson and Wynn that could/need some carries as I'm not a big Grant fan, but we need less 30 carry 91 yard games. Tandems work well at RB in the NFL as the last game showed.

3) Lock up the core.

-Obviously Jennings needs a new contract, but let's not break the bank as everything I've seen out of Jones plays the part and Jordy will be better. Bigby when healthy is great, let's get him a solid long term deal now before he breaks the bank. Collins....well nuff said, he proved many wrong this year and became an elite playmaker. Kampman (our one shining spot) on DL needs a new one. The list goes on and I think we do this easily.

4) Draft a gamechanger/stud with the #9 pick in the 2009 draft.

-Much debate has gone on with who we should pick, but it's obvious any OL or DL pick would be the choice. I really think we need to revamp the OT's as Cliffy and Tauch are in their young 30's and started to get hurt and lose alot of effectiveness. This draft for the past few months projected 3 OT's in the top 5 or at least 10 picks so I'm hopeful we can get a Joe Thomas type to step in on day one for Tauchy as I feel he's gone and Cliffy is on his last legs. We need some youth/burst at OL anyway and this could only help.

5) Get 2 starters in FA

-Woodson has been better than advertised and I'm not advocating throwing up cash for the sake of throwing up cash, but if we can get a stud DL for $10 million, sobeit. Let's do it as there is not much for promising youth at DL right now, and would love to have a stud run-stuffer or pass-rusher for that money to help our shoddy DL out. An OL Faneca type for $8 million All-Pro wouldn't hurt either. Our OL has wallowed in mediocrity for years (maybe that's just Campy's coaching, I dunno).

Thoughts?

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 10:56 AM
1. Let Vanilla Bob go and hire somebody proven from outside the organization to bring in a new mentality on the defense

2. Sign a starting DL via free agency and don't shy away from an upgrade of Bigby

3. Draft a playmaker on defense with pick #9...S...LB....DL

4. Lock up Jennings

5. SEEK OUT and Bind The Bikini Girls to come too all home games..thus destroying all bad karma

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 11:15 AM
1) Hire a DC who can take advantage of the skills of the Packer LB's. McDermott sounds interesting.

2) If you have a chance at one of the top 3 OT's in the draft, take him. Tauscher and Clifton may both be at/near the end.

3) Strengthen the DL through free agency.

4) Have Arod look at film of how Favre handled 2 minute drills. It was Arod's only real weakness this year.

5) Find a safety through draft or FA who can fill in if Bigby can't return to 2007 level. Rouse can't play strong safety.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
1) Overhaul the coaching staff with a few assistant coaches who have had success in running solid regimes/systems in recent years on the NFL level.

-We have enough talent at RB in Jackson and Wynn that could/need some carries as I'm not a big Grant fan, but we need less 30 carry 91 yard games. Tandems work well at RB in the NFL as the last game showed.

3) Lock up the core.

-Obviously Jennings needs a new contract, but let's not break the bank as everything I've seen out of Jones plays the part and Jordy will be better. Bigby when healthy is great, let's get him a solid long term deal now before he breaks the bank. Collins....well nuff said, he proved many wrong this year and became an elite playmaker. Kampman (our one shining spot) on DL needs a new one. The list goes on and I think we do this easily.

-Much debate has gone on with who we should pick, but it's obvious any OL or DL pick would be the choice. I really think we need to revamp the OT's as Cliffy and Tauch are in their young 30's and started to get hurt and lose alot of effectiveness. This draft for the past few months projected 3 OT's in the top 5 or at least 10 picks so I'm hopeful we can get a Joe Thomas type to step in on day one for Tauchy as I feel he's gone and Cliffy is on his last legs. We need some youth/burst at OL anyway and this could only help.

5) Get 2 starters in FA

-Woodson has been better than advertised and I'm not advocating throwing up cash for the sake of throwing up cash, but if we can get a stud DL for $10 million, sobeit. Let's do it as there is not much for promising youth at DL right now, and would love to have a stud run-stuffer or pass-rusher for that money to help our shoddy DL out. An OL Faneca type for $8 million All-Pro wouldn't hurt either. Our OL has wallowed in mediocrity for years (maybe that's just Campy's coaching, I dunno).

Thoughts?

1) Stock is already gone. Shotty has produced 2 All Pro's in his group this year, so I don't think there's anything wrong with retaining him based on the performance of his group in 2008. Vanilla Bob and Campy might be given one more year, because I haven't heard a peep either way about that yet.

2) I agree with you, but one must consider that our RB's have dealt with injuries all season long. Grant started out hurt, Lumpkin got injured for the season early on, B-Jax had been dealing with his own injuries, and Wynn wasn't even called up from the PS until the final weeks of the season. I think Grant getting so many carries down the stretch had as much to do with the other guys being hurt as it did getting Grant his opportunities.

3) Jennings will be locked up. Bigby you don't want to lock up long term based on just one good season - think about how many people are bitching about Ryan Grant getting his contract after one season (which I still think is fair, but I can understand the argument against it). Collins is kinda iffy too, because again it's one good year preceeded by several bad ones. Not to mention that he still led the NFL in dropped INT's again this year. I'd lock him up, but it would only be 3 years maybe and it wouldn't be at your average All Pro's salary.

Suprisingly enough, we are not even close to the team with the most cap space this year. There are at least 5 teams with more cap space than us, including playoff teams Arizona and Tennessee (assuming they don't resign Warner and Haynesworth, respectively). After locking up Rodgers, we don't have quite as much under the cap next season as some would assume - Rodgers counts nearly 10 million against the cap next season by himself.

4) It is impossible to accurately predict a college stud transitioning well into the NFL game in his rookie season. You take the player you think will make that transition best, but for every Matt Ryan there's a Tim Couch or a Ryan Leaf. It's a crapshoot, and the best you can do is take your best educated guess and hope you are right. That is doubly important when talking about linemen, either offensive or defensive. I guess my point is that there is no way to draft a college player, OL or DL especially, while being 100% certain he's going to be a game changer right away in his rookie year. It's impossible to know for certain. Best way to plug a hole with a proven player is through FA, and we all know that even FA is no certainty. Which leads to point #5.

5) I would like to see ONE starter through FA. I would like to see either a DT or a DE come via FA, the other drafted on day 1. I don't think the players on our roster are nearly as bad as their 6-10 record suggests. Getting Barnett and Jenkins back on the field will be incredibly huge, and by itself should make a substantial difference in our defensive production. Add one FA DT or DE and one day 1 draft pick on that line and I think we'll be fine on defense, to be perfectly honest. I like our LB's and DB's.

I would like to see TT package our 3rd with the Jets 3rd to move up into the second round, thus giving us 3 picks in the first 2 rounds again. Take the best DL you think is out there at #9, and take a couple of OL with your 2 second round picks. I think the skill positions are set for the future already, so I'd be very disappointed if we select another WR or RB on day one. The offense just needs help on the line, and after I look at that, I think I might go exclusively defense the rest of the way out unless there's a can't miss offensive player available that one would be foolish to pass up.

bobblehead
01-04-2009, 11:58 AM
1) Fire Campen Hire Alex Gibbs

2) Offer Fat Albert a Brinx truck...call god, ask him to tell Alber tto sign with green bay.

3) Send Harrell overseas and get him on an aggressive HgH program to heal him up.

4) Hire a nanny for MM so he is more focused on football.

5) Hire a valet for Jolly so he doesn't get arrested again.

Seriously, I'll take the first 2 and be happy. Gibbs is the genius of the ZBS run game and Albert is the best DT in the game and fills our most glaring need. If we got him and stayed healthy our D is 10-15 again, that with a Gibbs running game and the way Arod played, we have a shot to run the superbowl.

AV David
01-04-2009, 12:06 PM
1. Add a pass rusher.

2. Add a pass rusher.

3. Find a coach who can get blitzers home. (DC or LB coach)

4. Elite left tackle

5. Elite LB

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
1. Add a pass rusher.

2. Add a pass rusher.

3. Find a coach who can get blitzers home. (DC or LB coach)

4. Elite left tackle

5. Elite LB

It can't be that easy finding several elite players. We don't have as much cap space as you'd think. For example, we have less than HALF as much room to play with as the Chiefs. I'd be happy with one pass rushing rookie, one veteran stud at DT (where the money should go this season IMO), MAYBE one FA OT (if either Cliffy or Tauch can come back, I think Colledge assumes the other starting OT spot - so it's not too important to find an immediate starter unless neither of them can come back), and other than that a bunch of solid picks for depth.

Again, I don't see anything wrong with the LB's we already have, when healthy. Chillar, Barnett, Hawk has potential to be a very dominant LB corps, and Poppinga/Bishop are more than adequate as backups.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
1. Win an additional game in the regular season.

2. Win an additional game in the regular season.

3. Win an additional game in the regular season.

4. Win an additional game in the regular season.

5. Win an additional game in the regular season.

11-5 would be a pretty successful year, don't you think?

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 12:24 PM

3) Lock up the core.

5) Get 2 starters in FA

Thoughts?

1) Stock is already gone. Shotty has produced 2 All Pro's in his group this year, so I don't think there's anything wrong with retaining him based on the performance of his group in 2008. Vanilla Bob and Campy might be given one more year, because I haven't heard a peep either way about that yet.

2) I agree with you, but one must consider that our RB's have dealt with injuries all season long. Grant started out hurt, Lumpkin got injured for the season early on, B-Jax had been dealing with his own injuries, and Wynn wasn't even called up from the PS until the final weeks of the season. I think Grant getting so many carries down the stretch had as much to do with the other guys being hurt as it did getting Grant his opportunities.

3) Jennings will be locked up. Bigby you don't want to lock up long term based on just one good season - think about how many people are bitching about Ryan Grant getting his contract after one season (which I still think is fair, but I can understand the argument against it). Collins is kinda iffy too, because again it's one good year preceeded by several bad ones. Not to mention that he still led the NFL in dropped INT's again this year. I'd lock him up, but it would only be 3 years maybe and it wouldn't be at your average All Pro's salary.

Suprisingly enough, we are not even close to the team with the most cap space this year. There are at least 5 teams with more cap space than us, including playoff teams Arizona and Tennessee (assuming they don't resign Warner and Haynesworth, respectively). After locking up Rodgers, we don't have quite as much under the cap next season as some would assume - Rodgers counts nearly 10 million against the cap next season by himself.

4) It is impossible to accurately predict a college stud transitioning well into the NFL game in his rookie season. You take the player you think will make that transition best, but for every Matt Ryan there's a Tim Couch or a Ryan Leaf. It's a crapshoot, and the best you can do is take your best educated guess and hope you are right. That is doubly important when talking about linemen, either offensive or defensive. I guess my point is that there is no way to draft a college player, OL or DL especially, while being 100% certain he's going to be a game changer right away in his rookie year. It's impossible to know for certain. Best way to plug a hole with a proven player is through FA, and we all know that even FA is no certainty. Which leads to point #5.

5) I would like to see ONE starter through FA. I would like to see either a DT or a DE come via FA, the other drafted on day 1. I don't think the players on our roster are nearly as bad as their 6-10 record suggests. Getting Barnett and Jenkins back on the field will be incredibly huge, and by itself should make a substantial difference in our defensive production. Add one FA DT or DE and one day 1 draft pick on that line and I think we'll be fine on defense, to be perfectly honest. I like our LB's and DB's.

I would like to see TT package our 3rd with the Jets 3rd to move up into the second round, thus giving us 3 picks in the first 2 rounds again. Take the best DL you think is out there at #9, and take a couple of OL with your 2 second round picks. I think the skill positions are set for the future already, so I'd be very disappointed if we select another WR or RB on day one. The offense just needs help on the line, and after I look at that, I think I might go exclusively defense the rest of the way out unless there's a can't miss offensive player available that one would be foolish to pass up.

If Vanilla Bob is the DC next year my opinion of MM will go down

Completely agree on packaging the two thirds for a 2nd.

As many picks as we had last year I was surprised how little those rookies gave our 6-10 team

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
What a bunch of stupid shit!

First and foremost, we need to get back and keep healthy the large portion of the team whose injuries ruined the past season and spelled most of the difference between 13-3 and 6-10.

Second, the Packers need to have the various other aspects of LUCK go our way--at least to the point of getting an even break--including but not limited to: catching teams at the optimum time of their schedule (from our point of view), not the worst, and having bounces, spots, calls, etc. go our way--the remainder of the difference between 13-3 and 6-10.

Third, stabilizing the offensive line--getting one more decent year from Clifton, having Colledge, Spitz, and Sitton continue to develop, and having at least one out of Barbre, Giacomini, or a newcomer contribute--assuming Tauscher, Moll, and Wells are pretty much through.

Fourth, either signing Haynesworth, having Harrell play to the level of a mid first round pick at least as a run stopper, having Jolly play like '07 instead of like '08, or having the LUCK of a pleasant surprise from a mid round newcomer or Malone or a cheap free agent or whatever. Solidify DT, and DE will take care of itself with the personnel already on the team.

Fifth, trusting Rodgers a little bit more in the play calling--using the pass to establish the run, not vice versa.

The real key is what must not be done--NOT succumbing to the abject stupidity of some who want to see the defensive scheme changed or the ZBS done away with.

Coaching changes? Get real! The only thing that should be done apparently already has been done--a more effective special teams coach--or was that just a rumor that Stock was gone?

The Shadow
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
No one seems to be concerned with the possible loss of Mark Tauscher, either to injury or fre agency, but I am. Year after year he's delivered reliable, yeomanlike performance - and many are now confident that we can just plug in a replacement at RT.
If he can come back with that rehabilitated knee, I'd sure like to have him back.

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 12:33 PM
If Vanilla Bob is the DC next year my opinion of MM will go down

Completely agree on packaging the two thirds for a 2nd.

As many picks as we had last year I was surprised how little those rookies gave our 6-10 team

If a guy like Raji is still available late in the 1st, I might try to package a 2nd and a 3rd to move into the 1st.

As for the rookies, Thompson, Lee and Sitton were hit by injuries. Finley has some growing up to do, but showed potential late. In my opinion, only Brohm was a major disappointment, and he wouldn't have played anyway.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 12:41 PM
No one seems to be concerned with the possible loss of Mark Tauscher, either to injury or fre agency, but I am. Year after year he's delivered reliable, yeomanlike performance - and many are now confident that we can just plug in a replacement at RT.
If he can come back with that rehabilitated knee, I'd sure like to have him back.

I'm only concerned if Cliffy is unable to play next year as well. I think Colledge is capable of taking over at one of the OT positions when needed.

That said, I'd start looking at drafting another OT sooner than later just in case Giacomini doesn't work out. I know his deal this year was that he had that big 6'7" frame but needed to put on muscle to match. I guess I'm still holding out hope that once the training staff of the Packers gets him into the proper shape and build, he'll be more than adequate at the other OT spot. He must be at least a little talented, or I couldn't see this team holding on to him all season long without ever suiting him up for a game - especially considering Taucher's injury.

Tony Oday
01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
1. Sign Jennings
2. Sign a Pass rusher
3. Sign a "fat" DT to plug the hole
4. SS! Wouldn't be a bad upgrade
5. Junk the Zone Blocking or practice it in training camp
6. Trade down in the draft to pick up some more top tier prospects on both lines, as we have all seen, if you dont think you need them you can always trade them.

The Shadow
01-04-2009, 01:16 PM
1. Sign Jennings
2. Sign a Pass rusher
3. Sign a "fat" DT to plug the hole4. SS! Wouldn't be a bad upgrade
6. Trade down in the draft to pick up some more top tier prospects on both lines, as we have all seen, if you dont think you need them you can always trade them.

I would also like to see this. Having all the quick, athletic guys is great - sometimes. But we play in the NFC North, and sometimes you need those hogs -both on the o line and d line to hunker down in the trenches.
I noticed old Grady Jackson is still playing on the Atlanta line and is a free agent. How much does he have left in the tank?

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 01:19 PM
5) Hire a valet for Jolly so he doesn't get arrested again.

Yeah, but one of those stodgy British valets, not a good-timing rascal like Pacman had.

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 01:34 PM
1. Sign Jennings
2. Sign a Pass rusher

I would also like to see this. Having all the quick, athletic guys is great - sometimes. But we play in the NFC North, and sometimes you need those hogs -both on the o line and d line to hunker down in the trenches.
I noticed old Grady Jackson is still playing on the Atlanta line and is a free agent. How much does he have left in the tank?

McGinn said Pickett played at close to 350# this year, and Cole was nearly 330#. I think there's more to it than being fat. A bigger problem is probably that Pickett played too many snaps (thank you Justin Harrell), with too many nagging injuries.

Tony Oday
01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
1. Sign Jennings
2. Sign a Pass rusher

McGinn said Pickett played at close to 350# this year, and Cole was nearly 330#. I think there's more to it than being fat. A bigger problem is probably that Pickett played too many snaps (thank you Justin Harrell), with too many nagging injuries.

Ok I am sorry let me rephrase since it needs to be spoon fed. Not just fat but a guy that can hold the point and clog up run lanes. Is that better?

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok I am sorry let me rephrase since it needs to be spoon fed. Not just fat but a guy that can hold the point and clog up run lanes. Is that better?

:roll:

My only point is that we have a couple of those guys, we just need to ensure that we have the depth to keep from overusing them. Pickett has been a solid run stopper for several years, until this year when it seems he was asked to do too much.

We might be better off adding a DT that can provide a push on passing downs, keeping Cole and Pickett off the field on those downs, thus saving their energy for playing the run.

Is that better?

Tony Oday
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
well I dont think cole is that guy, I think he is just a fatty and Pickett cant play every down so we need another Pickett Type guy. Some one that actually has some pissed off in him. Someone that will smack a guy to get the RB.

Oh and a guy that gets 15 sacks from the DT spot too ;)

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh and a guy that gets 15 sacks from the DT spot too ;)

Sounds good. Order me up one of those.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
1. Fire TT
2. Fire Sanders
3. Get a stud with #9 or IF and big IF, we trade down its for their 1st and a 2nd THIS SEASON, thats it though
4. Sign up Jennings for a contract
5. Fire TT... kidding that was already done with #1... rebuild the lines, stock up as much talent as you can there

we actually have a ton of shit to fix but doing it all in one off season is just not gonna happen

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Some really bonehead shit being spewed in here.

If we got nothing at all in the draft and free agency, just got what we already have back and healthy, we'd have as good or better a team than what went 13-3/14-4 a year ago. Keep the D scheme; Keep the ZBS; Get a better special teams coach; And whatever help we get in the draft and free agency is just gravy.

And get off the negativist idiocy being spewed in here--not that Murphy/Thompson/McCarthy are dumb enough to pay any attention to the lame crap from you guys anyway.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 04:53 PM

If we got nothing at all in the draft and free agency, just got what we already have back and healthy, we'd have as good or better a team than what went 13-3/14-4 a year ago. Keep the D scheme; Keep the ZBS; Get a better special teams coach; And whatever help we get in the draft and free agency is just gravy.

And get off the negativist idiocy being spewed in here--not that Murphy/Thompson/McCarthy are dumb enough to pay any attention to the lame crap from you guys anyway.

Most, I think anyways, believe that 13-3 was really a team over achieving and getting hot. Now, that can happen again but I still think most feel that we are really not there yet in terms of winning constantly. So, that crap that we're spewing... might actually have some truth to it..

GBRulz
01-04-2009, 05:07 PM

I agree. Like saying we are 6-10 because of bad luck.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Bad luck, and some unfortunate play by backups on defense.

GBRulz
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM

I'm tired of everyone blaming the defense for everything. Two games were lost because of missed FG's. Two games ended because of INT's. There are many things that we need to get fixed other than defensive players coming back from injuries. Oh..and luck.

The only thing that was a bright spot for us this year was #12.

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM

I'm tired of everyone blaming the defense for everything. Two games were lost because of missed FG's. Two games ended because of INT's. There are many things that we need to get fixed other than defensive players coming back from injuries. Oh..and luck.

Defense 20th, Offense 8th. Grant over 1200 yards. Rodgers near tops in NFL in yards, TD's, QB rating and fewest interceptions. Defense bottoms in the league in QB pressure, run stopping, 3rd down conversion and points given up in 4th quarter. Missed two game winning field goals. Average ST's. Yeah, we know where the blame goes and most of it is clearly not with the offensive production although they could get a little better too. The defnese needs to get a lot better. The ST's need to get a lot better.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Defense 20th, Offense 8th. Grant over 1200 yards. Rodgers near tops in NFL in yards, TD's, QB rating and fewest interceptions. Defense bottoms in the league in QB pressure, run stopping, 3rd down conversion and points given up in 4th quarter. Missed two game winning field goals. Average ST's. Yeah, we know where the blame goes and it's not on the offense.

ur right.. its on TED THOMPSON...

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM

I feel confident it will be fixed as he is the solution to many years of problems at his position leading to his hire.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 05:26 PM

I feel confident it will be fixed as he is the solution to many years of problems at his position leading to his hire.

ya, hopefully it gets fixed with the next guy

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Don't hold your breath ;)

Favre = Gone
Thompson = Here for a while

Oh wait, do hold your breath.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Favre = Gone

Oh wait, do hold your breath.

dont worry.. I'll be a nice guy in a year when you change your tune on the snake.. I'll only remind u oh lets say twice a day

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
dont worry.. I'll be a nice guy in a year when you change your tune on the snake.. I'll only remind u oh lets say twice a day

Paco. I know this will come as a shock to you, but I typically don't read your posts and if I do, I sort of chuckle. So go ahead, spend your days reminding me if it will make you feel better. I welcome it. Actually I cherish being under your skin.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Paco. I know this will come as a shock to you, but I typically don't read your posts and if I do, I sort of chuckle. So go ahead, spend your days reminding me if it will make you feel better. I welcome it. Actually I cherish being under your skin.

haha youre not under my skin.. I go on these boards for fun.. dont kid urself

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Not to mention sub par play from our starters on OL and no replacement for Corey Williams. Sub Par coaching and the defense underachieving and some of the starters not improving..........all that............is why we were below .500.

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Resign Jennings
Resign Kampman
Resign Collins
Draft a very good to great player with the 9th pick
Sign either a DL or OL from free agency if the right fit is available.

Have a good rest of the draft and don't sign any high priced losers that end up dragging our team down for years.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Favre = Gone

Oh wait, do hold your breath.JH, why do you keep indulging the troll? It's not worth wasting your breath over.

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Haha. I know, cpk. For some reason, like once every couple months, I jump in with him. Usually it lasts all of one day and then he's back to ignore.

The Shadow
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
1. Fire TT
2. Fire Sanders
3. Get a stud with #9 or IF and big IF, we trade down its for their 1st and a 2nd THIS SEASON, thats it though
4. Sign up Jennings for a contract
5. Fire TT... kidding that was already done with #1... rebuild the lines, stock up as much talent as you can there.

You of course failed to address the real Cult hope :
6. Re-sign Brett Favre for more underachievment.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Haha. I know, cpk. For some reason, like once every couple months, I jump in with him. Usually it lasts all of one day and then he's back to ignore.

Really, I think that it's an operative lesson that it's not worth listening to someone who will come out and say "I am a [player/coach/administrator] hater". There are people here whose opinions I respect and will listen to who say things like "I don't think Thompson has done a very good job, (a couple of examples notwithstanding), and I think he has (chronic problem) and we'll probably need to replace him sooner or later, but I still hope he goes and gets some good players so the team will do well next year, I just don't see it happening." But anybody who says "I hate Thompson... he needs to fail more so that everybody will agree with me" isn't worth listening to, IMO.

I mean, we all wish we could find somebody who's better than Jarrett Bush to fill that position on the roster, but if we find somebody who's ostensibly a replacement, and Bush takes his game to the next level and starts playing out of his mind and significantly better than his replacement, I don't think anybody would really still want Bush gone.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Really, I think that it's an operative lesson that it's not worth listening to someone who will come out and say "I am a [player/coach/administrator] hater". There are people here whose opinions I respect and will listen to who say things like "I don't think Thompson has done a very good job, (a couple of examples notwithstanding), and I think he has (chronic problem) and we'll probably need to replace him sooner or later, but I still hope he goes and gets some good players so the team will do well next year, I just don't see it happening." But anybody who says "I hate Thompson... he needs to fail more so that everybody will agree with me" isn't worth listening to, IMO.

I mean, we all wish we could find somebody who's better than Jarrett Bush to fill that position on the roster, but if we find somebody who's ostensibly a replacement, and Bush takes his game to the next level and starts playing out of his mind and significantly better than his replacement, I don't think anybody would really still want Bush gone.

Whoa.. I never said he needs to fail or even that I want him to fail at doing his fucking job well.... the fact that he has/does.... is what pisses me off. And the fact that a lot of packer fans are ok with that... pisses me off. So if being in the minority on him being a so-so GM that hits on an occasional 2nd rounder, but still not a good enough GM to get us where we need to be... then ya, fuck ya.. thats who I am!

Zool
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Well put Lurker. I'm pretty sure every team in the league has fans like our resident TT troll. I mean someone had to take over for Tank. And every team in the league has players they would like to upgrade. Thompsons made some really good decisions, some really bad decisions, but generally he's been somewhere in the middle and to sit at your computer and think that you could do better than a guy who's hired by an NFL team to do this job is just plain idiocy.

I would call it ignorance, but the ignorant are at least capable of gaining knowledge.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Well put Lurker. I'm pretty sure every team in the league has fans like our resident TT troll. I mean someone had to take over for Tank. And every team in the league has players they would like to upgrade. Thompsons made some really good decisions, some really bad decisions, but generally he's been somewhere in the middle and to sit at your computer and think that you could do better than a guy who's hired by an NFL team to do this job is just plain idiocy.

I would call it ignorance, but the ignorant are at least capable of gaining knowledge.

fix the fuckin lines... and I probably wouldnt have a bitch about the guy! But HE HAS FAILED! FAILED!!!! FAAAAAAIILLLLED! how do u people not copy that... he has failed at his job which now has people getting fired over it and either next year or the year after... he will be gone too

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM

I would call it ignorance, but the ignorant are at least capable of gaining knowledge.I agree with your analysis of TT. I have my issues with him, most notably the punting debacle, mostly for when TT pulled the trigger. I would have stuck with Ryan, but his numbers don't show much of a difference than Frost, so my way wouldn't work much either.

Zool
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM

fix the fuckin lines... and I probably wouldnt have a bitch about the guy! But HE HAS FAILED! FAILED!!!! FAAAAAAIILLLLED! how do u people not copy that... he has failed at his job which now has people getting fired over it and either next year or the year after... he will be gone too

But see, this is supposed to be a place where people can come and discuss football topics. When everyone here wants you to stop, that should be an indicator to you. Even people that agree with you want you to STFU. Does that not compute in your brain? WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. You're not going to change anyones mind. You're only going to further irritate everyone here and bring about your own ouster. If thats what you're going for just tell me know and I will facilitate it.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM

But see, this is supposed to be a place where people can come and discuss football topics. When everyone here wants you to stop, that should be an indicator to you. Even people that agree with you want you to STFU. Does that not compute in your brain? WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. You're not going to change anyones mind. You're only going to further irritate everyone here and bring about your own ouster. If thats what you're going for just tell me know and I will facilitate it.

so people that feed me good shit about TT over and over are ok... but people that point out the bad shit about him cannot be on these boards? Ya great discussion boards... get everyone outta here that doesnt have the same opinions as u and the good ole packerrat boys!

MJZiggy
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Uh...Paco...while not one of the PackerRat "boys" (lest ye not forget that there are women here who know more about football than you do too), I can tell you that there are plenty of people around here who are none too thrilled with Ted Thompson and post just fine, because by some miracle they can refrain from calling him every offensive name they can think of, base their posts on logical correlations and outcomes, and don't post irrelevant crap in every thread on the board.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
so people that feed me good shit about TT over and over are ok... but people that point out the bad shit about him cannot be on these boards? Ya great discussion boards... get everyone outta here that doesnt have the same opinions as u and the good ole packerrat boys!

The difference is largely in how you make your point about these things. Nobody wants to hang out on a football forum where they will be treated to a chorus of "ZOMG TT ROXORZ! ALLS TEH OTHER GMS CANT HOLD HIS JOKC! BOW DOWN ASSCLOWNS!" But nobody is going to really resent "You know, Thompson has done a remarkable job getting contributors in the sixth round: Jolly, Bishop, Crosby, Hall, and overall I think the roster is in good shape, with a few holes (in the following places) and I hope that he can address them in the offseason."

At the same time people don't want to hear "TT sucks. He sucks so much that he sucks. He's shitty and he sucks. He's one of the suckiest sucks who ever sucked. Shit... TT sucks." But nobody's going to resent "While Thompson has gotten some solid but unspectacular guys, he's largely failed to draft blue chip players that will force the opposition to plan around them, and a bunch of 'dependably above average guys' is just never going to get a championship. Plus, while he's done reasonably well in free agency the few times he's dipped his toes in the water, he really can't continue to ignore it to the degree that he has. A championship team is built through good drafting as well as judicious use of free agency, unless he changes his ways, I don't see Thompson really succeeding in the long run."

The difference between the later comment critical of Thompson and the former is that the latter assumes that he's made some mistakes and misteps and even screwed up a few things, but acknowledges that he's done some things reasonably well and most importantly does not assume that he is absolutely irredeemable and could never adjust his strategies in the draft or free agency to become anything close to successful.

Anybody, even a fuckup of historic proportions, can rebound and get on a roll and accomplish some good things. True fans of the Packers want everybody in the organization, even fuckups of historic proportions, to turn it around and succeed. If this doesn't happen, of course we'd prefer to find someone to do a better job. But the average fan isn't very successful at finding a upgrade over Wynn and Lumpkin at the bottom of somebody else's roster or on their practice squad. How the hell is the average fan going to be able to scour the personnel divisions of other NFL teams in order to find a better GM?

SnakeLH2006
01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow this topic has degenerated into another Pacopote vs. CPK thread. Kinda funny to read, but regardless, my original topic comes back I hope.

Our D needs fixing. Fire Vanilla Bob, bring in a vet D-coordinator.

Get some a DL and OL starter through FA and the #9 pick and we'll be good.

Yes, there was some shitty luck this year as that goes either way (13-3) was overachieving, but we do have some holes to fill.

I actually go with Bretsky and JH with the most valid points on the beginning of this thread before this turned into a TT=suxxors topic.

TT has some work to do and still have faith...we'll see what this offseason brings as I have high hopes we can parlay our returning injured (Barnett, Jenkins), our high draft picks, and reasonable cap room to get us back in the playoffs.

The skill positions are pretty good on O and D. We need OL/DL line help and some coaching tweaks and we are bound for glory. 8-)

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Wow this topic has degenerated into another Pacopote vs. CPK thread. Kinda funny to read, but regardless, my original topic comes back I hope.

Our D needs fixing. Fire Vanilla Bob, bring in a vet D-coordinator.

Get some a DL and OL starter through FA and the #9 pick and we'll be good.

Yes, there was some shitty luck this year as that goes either way (13-3) was overachieving, but we do have some holes to fill.

I actually go with Bretsky and JH with the most valid points on the beginning of this thread before this turned into a TT=suxxors topic.

TT has some work to do and still have faith...we'll see what this offseason brings as I have high hopes we can parlay our returning injured (Barnett, Jenkins), our high draft picks, and reasonable cap room to get us back in the playoffs.

The skill positions are pretty good on O and D. We need OL/DL line help and some coaching tweaks and we are bound for glory. 8-)

I fully expect to see one vet FA on the DL. Hopefully, as stocked as the draft appears to be with DE's at the top, we snag a pretty good one at #9. Now if, say, Haynesworth comes to GB as a FA, and TT uses #9 on a big time DE, then our DL would be as follows:

Kampman/Haynesworth/Pickett/#9 overall pick.

OMGZ!!! It's not quite White/Dotson/Brown/Jones, but it's about as close as we're gonna get! And the best part? #9 is going to sign a 5+ year rookie deal, and Haynesworth is gonna be signed to a 6+ year deal. Kampy gets a modest extension, and viola! Our DL would be set until 2014.

I haven't really looked as far as the OL yet. I honestly believe that the interior line is going to continue to get better as is has this year and last. We need a new OT, but I'm less worried about that then I am with fixing our DL. I'll assume that either Cliffy or Tauch will be back next year, if not both of them. Since Colledge is supposed to take over an OT spot, that being his natural position, I think we'll be okay there so long as neither of them make it back. I think it's a priority, but not nearly as important as our DL. DL is where the focus should be this winter/spring IMO.

Packerarcher
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM
1. Fire TT

2. Fire TT

3. Fire TT

4. Fire TT

5. Did I mention that getting rid of TT would help.

digitaldean
01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
1. Get rid of the Sanders' D - check
2. Get rid of the Mike Stock cluelessness on ST. - check
3. Hire a DC that will bring a better uses (and disguises) of blitzes.
4. Scrap the f'in ZBS.
5. Use FA and draft to get as much impact on both lines of the ball.

Controlling the line of scrimmage. If we control the line, we don't have to get cute in the red zone (inside the 10 especially). Plus we can wear teams down come the 4th qtr. Remember when Green was in his prime? His 4th qtr numbers were awesome because the O-Line ground opponents down.

If we control the line of scrimmage, we get more pressure on opposing QB's and help out the secondary and LB's.

Packerarcher
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Paco,for some reason people here love that moron TT. I have said for a while that he is no good for the Packers,but all the TT lovers here will have none of that.

SnakeLH2006
01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
1. Get rid of the Sanders' D - check
2. Get rid of the Mike Stock cluelessness on ST. - check
3. Hire a DC that will bring a better uses (and disguises) of blitzes.
4. Scrap the f'in ZBS.
5. Use FA and draft to get as much impact on both lines of the ball.

Controlling the line of scrimmage. If we control the line, we don't have to get cute in the red zone (inside the 10 especially). Plus we can wear teams down come the 4th qtr. Remember when Green was in his prime? His 4th qtr numbers were awesome because the O-Line ground opponents down.

If we control the line of scrimmage, we get more pressure on opposing QB's and help out the secondary and LB's.

I do agree and have never been onboard with the ZBS as the power-gap scheme worked wonders before with bullish RB's like Green, et al. I see Grant, and Wynn as the bulls, and B-Jack as a 3rd down scatback. I really like that lineup behind a more power-oriented attack. Then again, we need to fire Campy (word is he's gone too) and get a mauler or two. The finesse shit is garbage on goal-lines and when we need a first.

As far as Gunakor goes, yes, the DL is a priority, I agree, but a scheme change wouldn't bring as much results as a scheme change on the OL. I do agree we need to upgrade the front 4 as Kampy looks pedestrian and tired when he's doing a yeoman's job with the crap (Jeremy Thompson, Montgomery, etc.) clogging the trenches laying on their backs (or esp. in Montgomery's case, looking woefully unaware as they let huge plays go past their contain)....Yes, we do need a top FA DL and/or the #9 pick to pan out strongly this year.

It looks like a consensus that coaching changes need to me made on the lines (check)....and that a player or 3 need to bring some upgrades to the big guys on both sides of the ball.

We are highly skilled at the skill positions and hope we retain Jennings.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Paco,for some reason people here love that moron TT. I have said for a while that he is no good for the Packers,but all the TT lovers here will have none of that.

That's because TT haters like you only look at things he's done wrong. You give him no credit for restocking the depth at all of the skill positions - for example, having the deepest WR corps in teh NFL 1-5, and it's not a close margin. We could do far worse than Grant, Jackson, Lumpkin and Wynn in our backfield. And it appears he found a keeper in Aaron Rodgers too. So, of all of our skill position players, only ONE is a holdover from the pre-Thompson era (that being Donald Driver). Everyone else TT brought in. Why is it so hard to give credit where credit is due? Because they were all drafted and not FA's? Does that make a difference if the guys are producing?

Or does a GM have to be perfect for you to consider him adequate for the job?

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
1. Revamp the DL.
2. Figure out how the OL will shake out.
3. Get a new defensive scheme.
4. Get healthy.
5a. Figure out what went wrong at the end of games.
5b. Figure out how the special teams fell off so much.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 12:07 PM
1. Let Vanilla Bob go and hire somebody proven from outside the organization to bring in a new mentality on the defense

2. Sign a starting DL via free agency and don't shy away from an upgrade of Bigby

4. Lock up Jennings

We went 6-10, and that isn't a whole lot to fix. Strange season.

Bretsky
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM

4. Lock up Jennings

If we get a competent DC and another player or two 6-10 can turn into 10-6 real quickly

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

4. Lock up Jennings

If we get a competent DC and another player or two 6-10 can turn into 10-6 real quickly

We'll need 3 or 4 players if the competent DC we bring in brings a 3-4 with him. That doesn't give me a whole lot of hope for 2009, to be honest.

Bretsky
01-07-2009, 07:54 PM

4. Lock up Jennings

I'd probably say 2-3; one from FA and then #9 pick in the draft hopefully would be 2

We'll need 3 or 4 players if the competent DC we bring in brings a 3-4 with him. That doesn't give me a whole lot of hope for 2009, to be honest.