PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
It sure would have been nice to have picked up Jimmy Leonhard as a street free agent a couple of years ago. I was advocating that back then.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
It sure would have been nice to have picked up Jimmy Leonhard as a street free agent a couple of years ago. I was advocating that back then.

Is that the walk on safety the Badgers had a few years ago? I would have been for putting him on the PS - which would have given him an opportunity to play this past season, maybe - but I don't think he'd be good enough to make the 45 man gameday roster if our starters and primary backups are healthy.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Me too; I really liked Leonard.

He's that white dude w/o any of the measurables but with ALL of the intangibles. He does all of the little things right and that makes him valuable. Great to see him in the playoffs.

For anybody who watched college basketball he's like Joe Krabbenhoft. I could watch that guy play forever because the true basketball fan realizes he does all the little things perfectly even though he's not as athletically gifted as many others.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Im not sure Leonard was big enough, nor fast enough for the NFL game.. has a ton of heart though, cant take that away from the guy

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
NICK GRIESSEN

He was a trooper for the Badge as well !!!!!!!!!!!

Congrads to Griessen and Leonard

channtheman
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Im not sure Leonard was big enough, nor fast enough for the NFL game.. has a ton of heart though, cant take that away from the guy

This is what they all say. "He's too small, he's not fast enough!" Jim Leonhard is like Doug Flutie. All he does is play football and get the job done but he ALWAYS has the naysayers who say he can't do it. It's unfair to guys like that because on the other side you have people like Deshawn Wynn who have all the talent in the world but don't care to use it, yet they get the shot in the NFL because they have potential.

sheepshead
01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Often it's a case where someone likes the way you play and they get around to giving you a shot.

Look at that Favre guy for instance!

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Often it's a case where someone likes the way you play and they get around to giving you a shot.

Comparing the talent of Favre to a guy like Jim Leonard... yikes

sheepshead
01-04-2009, 03:07 PM

no, not exactly. maybe you need a history book for comparison. dope.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 03:09 PM

Favre was a relative unknown when Wolf made the trade to bring him in. He was extremely raw at that time. It wasn't until Holmgren got his hands on Favre that his full talent and potential was realized.

Sheeps has a point. Perhaps Leonard has the same talent, but needs to be paired with the right coach to realize it. You never know.

The Leaper
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Perhaps Leonard has the same talent, but needs to be paired with the right coach to realize it. You never know.

I think it is very safe to say that Leonard DOES NOT POSSESS the same talent as Brett Favre.

Very, very safe.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Favre was a relative unknown when Wolf made the trade to bring him in. He was extremely raw at that time. It wasn't until Holmgren got his hands on Favre that his full talent and potential was realized.

Sheeps has a point. Perhaps Leonard has the same talent, but needs to be paired with the right coach to realize it. You never know.

seriously.. come on

The Leaper
01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Favre was a relative unknown when Wolf made the trade to bring him in.

Not at all true. Favre was VERY known within NFL circles, although probably not among fan circles. Favre would've been a top 10 pick had he not had the accident that dinged him up and made him miss time in college.

In fact, had Favre come out in TODAY'S NFL, he'd probably still have been a top 15-20 pick even with the accident because of the "YouTube" factor that hypes certain individuals. The guy is a walking highlight reel. 20 years ago, the draft process was far different in some respects.

Fosco33
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Leonhard was a walk-on to UW. Had the pleasure of watching him in person while at UW. He finally got a scholarship his senior year - glad he's had some good PT in the NFL. Just a true blue collar workhorse.

Good story about Greisen, too. His wife had a baby last night (flew up there, had the baby girl and flew back the next morning). Nick and I had mutual friends and we actually hung out a number of times. He and Dave Braun used to cheat off me in Micro Econ. Nick was also a spitting image of one of my roommates - people were always mixing the two up (which was really funny when all of us were in the same class). He's a nice dude.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Have you guys been watching today's game? That's why I brought this up now.

Leonhard is an integral part of arguably the best defense in the NFL--the Ravens. He was and is a cover safety with a nose for the ball and being in the right place on running plays. He also was and is an excellent punt returner. And he still is only 5'8"--probably on tiptoes.

sheepshead
01-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Favre was a relative unknown when Wolf made the trade to bring him in.

Not at all true. Favre was VERY known within NFL circles, although probably not among fan circles. Favre would've been a top 10 pick had he not had the accident that dinged him up and made him miss time in college.

In fact, had Favre come out in TODAY'S NFL, he'd probably still have been a top 15-20 pick even with the accident because of the "YouTube" factor that hypes certain individuals. The guy is a walking highlight reel. 20 years ago, the draft process was far different in some respects.

Where do you get this crap from. He was a 3rd stringer on a very bad team , with a very bad coach and front office. and he'll tell you, one more year or two of that and he would have been out of the league.

Wolf gave him a shot based on what he saw in him in college. Same as Rex Ryan. That's all I'm sayin. Geez

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Perhaps Leonard has the same talent, but needs to be paired with the right coach to realize it. You never know.

I think it is very safe to say that Leonard DOES NOT POSSESS the same talent as Brett Favre.

Very, very safe.

But how do we know? If Leonard hasn't been paired with his Holmgren...

Let me ask you another way. How many of us saw Brett Favre becoming one of the greatest ever to play when he was relegated to spot duty in Atlanta? I think it would have been a safe prediction back in 1991 that Brett Favre did not possess the same talent level of Chris Miller. Or Billy Joe Tolliver, for that matter. Just sayin.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Very, very safe.

Let me ask you another way. How many of us saw Brett Favre becoming one of the greatest ever to play when he was relegated to spot duty in Atlanta? I think it would have been a safe prediction back in 1991 that Brett Favre did not possess the same talent level of Chris Miller. Or Billy Joe Tolliver, for that matter. Just sayin.

Didnt possess the same talent level, or wasnt coached into being an NFL player... because they are two very different things

Charles Woodson
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Leonhard is an integral part of arguably the best defense in the NFL--the Ravens. He was and is a cover safety with a nose for the ball and being in the right place on running plays. He also was and is an excellent punt returner. And he still is only 5'8"--probably on tiptoes.
Agreed!
Whoever says that hes not good enough to make our team, CLEARLY didnt watch the game today... Leonhard was all over the ball. 7 tackles, half a sack, and a pick... but dispite his size or weight he lays the wood and is always in the right position. Damn it must be nice to have that guy with ed reed...

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Very, very safe.

Didnt possess the same talent level, or wasnt coached into being an NFL player... because they are two very different things

Agreed, they most definitely are. But how do we know whether it's the coaching or the talent? We aren't pro scouts, and even pro scouts aren't as accurate as they'd like to be. Agreed it has to be a match, and it happens far less often than it should. Which is kinda my point. Just because the Favre's of NFL history are rare, it doesn't mean that Favre talent is rare. Sometimes it's just wasted talent on a shit team with a shit coach - which is exactly what the Brett Favre story would have been had Wolf not made that trade and hired Holmgren to coach him up.

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Agreed!
Whoever says that hes not good enough to make our team, CLEARLY didnt watch the game today... Leonhard was all over the ball. 7 tackles, half a sack, and a pick... but dispite his size or weight he lays the wood and is always in the right position. Damn it must be nice to have that guy with ed reed...

Sounds like a stat line for Atari Bigby when healthy and playing. Given our injuries he'd likely see time, but again, I don't think he cracks the 45 man gameday roster. I still think that, even having watched him today, our starters when healthy would still be Collins and Bigby. Leonard and Rouse would compete for the backup safety position on the 45 man roster, and Leonard might be the better between the two. But I don't think it's that significant a difference that I'd make a fuss about it. There is little to complain about in our defensive backfield this year.

esoxx
01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I was completely wrong on Leonhart being able to make it at the NFL level. I want Ravens to win SB so he gets a ring.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't buy the lack of measurables on Leonhard. He's small, but I remember him testing very well. I'll have to look it up. He wouldn't have been drafted if he was that small and unathletic.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't buy the lack of measurables on Leonhard. He's small, but I remember him testing very well. I'll have to look it up. He wouldn't have been drafted if he was that small and unathletic.

YO

I don't think Jim Leonard was drafted

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Okay, maybe I had it wrong. Reports show he ran the 40 in 4.5--which is pretty good but probably shouldn't be enough for the average 5'8" player to overcome.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Okay, maybe I had it wrong. Reports show he ran the 40 in 4.5--which is pretty good but probably shouldn't be enough for the average 5'8" player to overcome.

The 4.5 to 4.55 range is about right. Often listed at 5 9" but that's generous. Nice leaping ability though

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Agreed!

He was really assignment sure in college and that was part of his mystique. I've got love for _| |_ (making the JL with my hands).