PDA

View Full Version : Sanders Fired

highlander
01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/breaking-news-packers-fire-sanders/[/url]

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
says the page has been removed?

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Shows up for me. Says more information as it comes up.

digitaldean
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Previous link didn't work, (they must've moved the article).

But the headline is on the home page.

About frickin' time!!

Lurker64

The tags made it a malformed URL

Try this (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/breaking-news-packers-fire-sanders/) instead. It's not very informative, it doesn't say much more than the title.

highlander
yep saw that it must have been a rumor or bad info. Boy after this summer we are not used to that . I saw it on roto news also but it linked the same source.

packers11
www.rotoworld.com

The National Football Post reports that the Packers have fired defensive coordinator Bob Sanders.

The NFP has close ties to the Green Bay organization, so we trust them here. Injuries crushed the Packers' defense in 2008, but someone had to pay for their drop from the league's No. 11-ranked unit in 2007 to 20th in 2008. The Pack was especially woeful against the run, which made them ease to game plan against late in the year. They're unlikely to replace Sanders in-house.

Source: National Football Post

red
01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank christ

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 06:33 PM
gonna be replaced in house?.... brutal

red
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM

They're unlikely to replace Sanders in-house

which is music to my eyes

bring in someone with an aggressive scheme

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM

"They're unlikely to replace Sanders in-house. "

Reading comprehension much?

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 06:35 PM
whoops... my bad! I'm watching the vikes fall apart which has most of my attention ha

good.. im glad we'll get someone fresh in here

highlander
01-04-2009, 06:38 PM

I am hearing Moss will be the DC. Nothing confirming that but it does make sense. He is the Asst HC wouldn't they have to fire him also to go outside?

red
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM

I am hearing Moss will be the DC. Nothing confirming that but it does make sense. He is the Asst HC wouldn't they have to fire him also to go outside?

maybe they'll get rid of the whole d-staff?

moss would be a bad idea IMO, his unit was one of the big problems this year

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM

I'd really like to bring in somebody with a good scheme, whether or not it's aggressive. Bob Slowik had an aggressive scheme, for all the good that did us.

red
next up on the chopping block

campen, the man who can't get his players to improve

Bretsky

Red,

I COMPLETELY AGREE that this would be great news.............but where do you see they are going "outside" the organization ?

If we stay in house with the hire we might as well have kept VB. None of these guys have had units that have excelled............well.........maybe DB but we know he's not going to be our DC.

imscott72
01-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Interesting since the JS hasn't picked up on this yet. Hopefully it's true.

red
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
i was just quoting to rotoworld post that paco misread

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM

I don't agree it makes sense to hire a guy who has never been a DC before over several more qualified candidates from the outside. The unit Moss coaches didn't exactly light it up either. I'd be very disappointed if he's handed the job.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting since the JS hasn't picked up on this yet. Hopefully it's true.

Yes, I'm looking to local sources as well and haven't found anything yet

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Agreed, but the biggest of Moss' problems this year is that nobody in his group was healthy. Barnett, Hawk, Chillar, Pop... they all were dinged up for most of the season. All things considered, I'll bet if Barnett doesn't get injured we are playing a game today.

Course, then Sanders prolly stays on board, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Brando19
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/04/sanders-out-in-green-bay/

Here it is on PFT....yes...it's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike Nolan would be an awesome choice. But....they'll probably end up hiring Moss for the job if he doesn't get it in St Louis.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Agreed, but the biggest of Moss' problems this year is that nobody in his group was healthy. Barnett, Hawk, Chillar, Pop... they all were dinged up for most of the season. All things considered, I'll bet if Barnett doesn't get injured we are playing a game today.

Course, then Sanders prolly stays on board, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Barnett was not having one of his better seasons even before the injury

Hawk underperformed

Chillar was solid

Poppings was alright but noting special

Injuries are a convenient excuse but this unit played much worse that its ability even when healthy IMO

red
01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
heres the article from PFT

SANDERS OUT IN GREEN BAY
Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2009, 7:30 p.m.

After Packers special teams coordinator Mike Stock announced his retirement, we noted that there were rumors that several other assistant coaches in Green Bay could follow him, in a not-so-voluntary fashion.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, defensive ends coach Carl Hairston, and offensive line coach James Campen were believed to be in trouble.

For starters, Sanders is out, according to a two-sentence blurb at NationalFootballPost.com.

Sanders joined the team in 2005 as a defensive assistant, and he became the coordinator in 2006, in Mike McCarthy’s first season as head coach.

Candidates to replaces Sanders could include Mike Nolan. McCarthy spent 2005 in San Francisco as Nolan’s offensive coordinator.

Then again, it’s possible that the two men hate each other; we haven’t heard one way or the other.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM

SANDERS OUT IN GREEN BAY

After Packers special teams coordinator Mike Stock announced his retirement, we noted that there were rumors that several other assistant coaches in Green Bay could follow him, in a not-so-voluntary fashion.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, defensive ends coach Carl Hairston, and offensive line coach James Campen were believed to be in trouble.

For starters, Sanders is out, according to a two-sentence blurb at NationalFootballPost.com.

Sanders joined the team in 2005 as a defensive assistant, and he became the coordinator in 2006, in Mike McCarthy’s first season as head coach.

Candidates to replaces Sanders could include Mike Nolan. McCarthy spent 2005 in San Francisco as Nolan’s offensive coordinator.

Then again, it’s possible that the two men hate each other; we haven’t heard one way or the other.

Can we all chip in a few bucks to get Mike Nolan here tomorrow ? :lol:

red
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
i'll drive wherever he is to pick him up

Brando19
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM

SANDERS OUT IN GREEN BAY

Can we all chip in a few bucks to get Mike Nolan here tomorrow ? :lol:

Hell yeah...I'll get my wife to bake him a cake and I'll pay for his Packers hall of fame tour.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
really? Are we that high on Mike Nolan? How come?

red
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
well, because, for a change he is a great defensive coach with a proven track record

thats a decent start

Brando19
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
well, because, for a change he is a great defensive coach with a proven track record

thats a decent start
Yeah that never hurts.

Partial
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh Happy Day!!

GrnBay007
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
When I went to the Packer/Houston game this year there was this guy near us that stood up at the end of the game and I swear for almost 5 minutes straight yelled, "you suck sanders". I bet he's celebrating with a shot or 10 right now. :D

Partial
01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
JSO has the story up. Still without sources from the Pack, though.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37069879.html

TravisWilliams23
01-04-2009, 07:22 PM
It needed to be done.
Now let's hope they pick the right one.
The new year is starting out on a plus. Keep it going!

Fosco33
01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Good - now lets see who's on their radar...

DonHutson
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Is that what passes for journalism nowdays? Surfing the web?

God forbid Greg Bedard should pick up the phone himself.

:roll:

Gunakor
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Hawk underperformed

Chillar was solid

Injuries are a convenient excuse but this unit played much worse that its ability even when healthy IMO

Did you notice the difference on the defense when Barnett got injured and we had to move Hawk inside? I mentioned this in another thead, but people are really underestimating Barnett's value as a MLB on this defense. It surprised me too, I ain't gonna lie. But this defense just isn't the same without him, regardless what his stat line looks like. His experience and leadership is invaluable.

Hawk was injured the whole season too, he just battled through injuries he could play with. Chillar should be the strong side starter, not Pop. Pop should be the primary backup at OLB, either side. Bishop should be the primary backup at MLB, but not moved outside - he didn't look too good there in spot duty.

All in all, if there are no changes at all to our LB corps, I'll be fine with that. Every one of them was dinged up this year. Get 'em healthy and they are way more than adequate.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
YAHOO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEMxYggoKQ&feature=PlayList&p=E11582546FCC19C8&index=0&playnext=1

gbgary
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM

shouldn't that be music to your ears?? :D

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Hawk underperformed

Chillar was solid

Did you notice the difference on the defense when Barnett got injured and we had to move Hawk inside? I mentioned this in another thead, but people are really underestimating Barnett's value as a MLB on this defense. It surprised me too, I ain't gonna lie. But this defense just isn't the same without him, regardless what his stat line looks like. His experience and leadership is invaluable.

Hawk was injured the whole season too, he just battled through injuries he could play with. Chillar should be the strong side starter, not Pop. Pop should be the primary backup at OLB, either side. Bishop should be the primary backup at MLB, but not moved outside - he didn't look too good there in spot duty.

All in all, if there are no changes at all to our LB corps, I'll be fine with that. Every one of them was dinged up this year. Get 'em healthy and they are way more than adequate.

Yes, I did notice that. But Barnett was still not playing that well when he was hurt.........and with a torn ACL he might not be near full strength next year either. I do agree they are above average as a unit.

I just hope they bring in new blood for our DC

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
this thread cannot be complete without a paragraph from Tex accusing us all and MM as being a bunch of no nothing blitz happy fellows :lol:

wist43
01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Really, I'm surprised they pulled the trigger...

Would love to see a scheme change, but they have a lot invested in players that fit the current scheme. Be tough to change... would definitely be growing pains associated with changing schemes.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Didn't expect it, really, after Friday came and went. But it makes some sense, little time was lost, and the game stories and buildup for next week will bury this nationally. Its too bad, the scheme was solid with a pass rush, but that is the hardest commodity to come by in this league on defense with scheming for it.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
We are still all going off the National Football Post, PFT and JSOnline are just quoting Brandt, et al. SO don't drive to the airport to help the man with his luggage yet. If true, I wonder what kind of terms they left on?

I agree it wasn't Barnett's best year at all, but except for Hawk's first game or two at MLB, we were clearly affected without him.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Is that what passes for journalism nowdays? Surfing the web?

God forbid Greg Bedard should pick up the phone himself.

:roll:How do you know he didn't? It's his blog, so there is less restrcition, but you have to believe he is at least smart enough to investigate first before putting it out there.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 07:51 PM
They have started to contact players and no one has heard anything from the team.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
They have started to contact players and no one has heard anything from the team.Since Al Harris's agent runs the website that is reporting this, I think Al might be the first one that should be contacted.

packers11
01-04-2009, 08:02 PM
How ironic/funny would it be if Shotty got promoted... This website would explode... :lol: :wink:

RashanGary
01-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Would love to see a scheme change, but they have a lot invested in players that fit the current scheme. Be tough to change... would definitely be growing pains associated with changing schemes.

Nothin' wrong with the Philly/NY Giant version of the 4-3 defense.

I don't want a 3-4. Every team is starting to run it. A few years ago the couple teams that ran it had their pick of 3-4 players for cheap and drafting them was easier. Now that half the teams in the NFL run it, it's harder and harder to get those players. The 4-3 is just as good, it just has to have some different looks to it. Philly and the NYG do a great job with mixing it up.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:13 PM
How ironic/funny would it be if Shotty got promoted... This website would explode... :lol: :wink:
I am not interested in your ideas and I do not want your newsletter.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
They have started to contact players and no one has heard anything from the team.Since Al Harris's agent runs the website that is reporting this, I think Al might be the first one that should be contacted.
He and Wilde are pals, so I am sure it hasn't escaped Jason's notice. But nothing on the State Journal site yet.

pack4to84
01-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Nothin' wrong with the Philly/NY Giant version of the 4-3 defense.

I don't want a 3-4. Every team is starting to run it. A few years ago the couple teams that ran it had their pick of 3-4 players for cheap and drafting them was easier. Now that half the teams in the NFL run it, it's harder and harder to get those players. The 4-3 is just as good, it just has to have some different looks to it. Philly and the NYG do a great job with mixing it up.I would prefer a defense the utilized both the 3-4 and 4-3 like the Raven's. Today they played more 4-3 vs Miami because they are a running team. Certain teams struggle with the 3-4 schemes, so having that to fall back on in your play book could help cause problems for those teams.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
He and Wilde are pals, so I am sure it hasn't escaped Jason's notice. But nothing on the State Journal site yet.I'm sure he is working to corrobarate the report first. Bedard only put it in his blog, so he doesn't have journalistic restriction there.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 08:23 PM

thats a decent start

What track record?

From 1993-2000, he was DC for the Giants, Washington, and the Jets. His defenses were always middle of the road.

In 2001, he joined the Ravens staff. The next year, he became DC for Baltimore--after Marvin Lewis had built up a great defense (one that set all kinds of records in 2000).

Unless I'm reading his bio wrong, not one of the teams he's been with has won a Super Bowl.

Pacopete4
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

thats a decent start

What track record?

From 1993-2000, he was DC for the Giants, Washington, and the Jets. His defenses were always middle of the road.

In 2001, he joined the Ravens staff. The next year, he became DC for Baltimore--after Marvin Lewis had built up a great defense (one that set all kinds of records in 2000).

Unless I'm reading his bio wrong, not one of the teams he's been with has won a Super Bowl.

thats what I was thinking when I questioned why some want him so bad. I mean his team was pitiful in SF the last few years...

Partial
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm not interested in Nolan. No way to Nolan!

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

thats a decent start

What track record?

The stint I remember was the Redskins job. He was DC for Turner for 4 or 5 years and they had one decent defense. Players or coach I can't say, but it wasn't his stats that kept getting him jobs.

ND72
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Actually heard on Appleton's espn radio station on my way home tonight that many people believe Nolan will be brought in as DC.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Nolan had one bad year out of three in Baltimore.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM

I'm on board with Nolan or Williams

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM

I'm on board with Nolan or WilliamsIf Nolan runs a 3-4, Im not sure I am on board with that.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Not on board for Williams. His scheme has been getting progressively less effective since he was head coach at Buffalo.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd hate Williams. I'd be indifferent on Nolan. I'm indifferent on Moss also, but I don't see these other two guys as that great. I'd rather take a chance on some of those assistants that JSO pointed out the other day.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd hate Williams. I'd be indifferent on Nolan. I'm indifferent on Moss also, but I don't see these other two guys as that great. I'd rather take a chance on some of those assistants that JSO pointed out the other day.

I'd be fine with the assistants as well; for the most part I'll be content to happy as long as we don't hire from within

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Just re-reading some of the names available, a lot of Tampa 2 guys. Choosing one of them is not going to be a happy day for Al. You know they are rooting for press coverage guys.

MJZiggy
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
It's possible to run 4-3 press coverage creatively, isn't it?

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM

I'd be fine with the assistants as well; for the most part I'll be content to happy as long as we don't hire from within
Moss did study under Haslett, which gives him both 3-4 experience and if I am not mistaken, 4-3 experience from his time in New Orleans. And Haslett would know blitzing from LeBeau. There are worse than Moss available. I can't say he is a lock for greatness, but his lineage isn't bad.

cpk1994
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
It's possible to run 4-3 press coverage creatively, isn't it?Bob, is that you? :lol:

MJZiggy
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
It's possible to run 4-3 press coverage creatively, isn't it?Bob, is that you? :lol:

I said CREATIVELY... :P

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Here it is on PFT....yes...it's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike Nolan would be an awesome choice. But....they'll probably end up hiring Moss for the job if he doesn't get it in St Louis.

I believe I saw on ESPN that Moss is being brought back to St. Louis for a second interview.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, but it can limit how much you can blitz the corners, but not everyone blitzes those guys.

The problem with alternatives is Harris. He is strictly bump and run, from Eagles to Packers. I don't think he could play short zone with run support. Of course, he is tough, its possible he is stubborn enough to adjust. Woodson can do it.

ND72
01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
#1 - I'm on board with Bresky's picture.

#2 - I'm on board with running a 3-4. I've stayed away from the arguments of switching to a 3-4, but I think we are in PERFECT shape to make the switch. Jenkins & Kampman are both 3-4 DE types. Pickett is a NT. That or Jolly. Our LB's are NOT great 3-4 type LB's, but I think with Barnett & Hawk's athleticism, Bishop could move to a 3-4 MLB, but neither Poop or Chillar would fit.

My opinion. I've heard many ESPN radio stations agree with that statement as well. That is where a Menuluga or Curry would fit in NICELY.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I won't write off anybody really. It was Bob running the defense. You could be the best assistant coach in the game and look bad under a bad coordinator. If Moss were hired, I'd want to hear about his philosophy before making a rash judgement.

Three things I'm looking for in a DC.
1) 4/3 attack style scheme.
2) Leadership skills (this is what killed Bob).
3) Anybody not named Kurt Schottenheimer.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 08:52 PM

Moss did study under Haslett, which gives him both 3-4 experience and if I am not mistaken, 4-3 experience from his time in New Orleans. And Haslett would know blitzing from LeBeau. There are worse than Moss available. I can't say he is a lock for greatness, but his lineage isn't bad.

what does studied under mean ? Moss studied under Sanders too....which is what worried me

pbmax
Remember Fritz and the Super Bowl team? That was man coverage. And when Fritz would rearely blitz, he would send Butler (safety) or the WILL (Brian Williams). It can be done.

One thing to keep in mind, even Fritz's 4-3 Under scheme had a very good D line. No matter who they hire, Thompson needs to get some lineman.

I am becoming more and more convinced he has the O line stocked OK. He may need another tackle.

Zool
I won't write off anybody really. It was Bob running the defense. You could be the best assistant coach in the game and look bad under a bad coordinator. If Moss were hired, I'd want to hear about his philosophy before making a rash judgement.

Gotta wonder how much say a new DC will have in his position coaches. I would assume quite a bit but might very well be based on his philosophy.

Maybe they got rid of Sanders now because Moss has that second interview?

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM

#2 - I'm on board with running a 3-4. I've stayed away from the arguments of switching to a 3-4, but I think we are in PERFECT shape to make the switch. Jenkins & Kampman are both 3-4 DE types. Pickett is a NT. That or Jolly. Our LB's are NOT great 3-4 type LB's, but I think with Barnett & Hawk's athleticism, Bishop could move to a 3-4 MLB, but neither Poop or Chillar would fit.

My opinion. I've heard many ESPN radio stations agree with that statement as well. That is where a Menuluga or Curry would fit in NICELY.

BINGO

AND BRING BACK THE BIKINI GIRLS in 2009 !!!!!

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I second the motion that Bretsky's avatar be made larger. Enhanced, if you will. :lol:

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Gotta wonder how much say a new DC will have in his position coaches. I would assume quite a bit but might very well be based on his philosophy.

Maybe they got rid of Sanders now because Moss has that second interview?

MOSS will take a head job if it's offered to him regardless.

Partial
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM

I believe I saw on ESPN that Moss is being brought back to St. Louis for a second interview.

It was a report on NFL.com, but JSO is saying its not true here:

"Assistant head coach/linebackers coach Winston Moss could be a leading candidate to replace Sanders if he does not get the St. Louis Rams head coaching job. Despite an NFL.com report to the contrary, Moss isn't scheduled for a second interview with the Rams."

pbmax
01-04-2009, 08:59 PM
what does studied under mean ? Moss studied under Sanders too....which is what worried me
That's the fun of choosing, isn't it? You hope he learned what is important in the 4-3 Over scheme but has different ideas about what to call and when. Also, different ideas about his position coaches.

What I am looking for is someone who, this season, could have transitioned to a different defense faster and better, since it was obvious we could run what we had planned after Barnett and Jenkins were lost.

esoxx
01-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm guessing Moss got a token interview with the Rams to satisfy "the Rooney Rule." Sad but true.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm guessing Moss got a token interview with the Rams to satisfy "the Rooney Rule." Sad but true.

Tend to agree. The only other non-coordinator off of the top of my head that got a HC job was Marinelli, and his defense was always tip-top. Moss? I don't see him having the same level of experience or name power within the league, but its possible that I am wrong.

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Tend to agree. The only other non-coordinator off of the top of my head that got a HC job was Marinelli, and his defense was always tip-top. Moss? I don't see him having the same level of experience or name power within the league, but its possible that I am wrong.

Add Andy Reid to your list.

Reports are that Moss is being brought back for a second interview in St. Louis. Doesn't mean he'll get the job, but their interest in him appears to be serious.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Moss said he is not married to Sanders' scheme, or the blitz-heavy strategy used by Jim Haslett, Moss' boss for six seasons with the New Orleans Saints.

"I'm more along the line of whatever players that you end of having, put them in a great scheme, put them the best possible position to make a play and then get the hell out of the way," Moss said.

steve823
01-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Holy crap this just made my night..hell forget night it just made my week. Wow I didnt think they would do it but thank god. I wish they would go for someone who fits our scheme but someone that can blitz effectively. Maybe someone that has been under Jim Johnson?

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
If McCarthy wanted to use a 3-4, it would call for a lot of changes on the defensive line. Aaron Kampman is too light for end in that scheme, and doesn't have the right skills to be an outside linebacker. Likewise, Cullen Jenkins would have to gain weight. Both players likely wouldn't want to switch. They are very good players in their current positions.

Other options on the 4-3 track include former Jacksonville Jaguars coordinator Gregg Williams.

GBRulz
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
All I have to say is......

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:14 PM
If McCarthy wanted to use a 3-4, it would call for a lot of changes on the defensive line. Aaron Kampman is too light for end in that scheme, and doesn't have the right skills to be an outside linebacker. Likewise, Cullen Jenkins would have to gain weight. Both players likely wouldn't want to switch. They are very good players in their current positions.

Disagree. First off, Jenkins is 305 lbs. Gain weight? Very inaccurate quote. Yes Kampman would be light, probably 15 pounds light depending on how they use him. But they could move him around as well, like the Patriots do with Richard Seymour.

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Holy crap this just made my night..hell forget night it just made my week. Wow I didnt think they would do it but thank god. I wish they would go for someone who fits our scheme but someone that can blitz effectively. Maybe someone that has been under Jim Johnson?

That would be Sean McDermott. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/CoachBios.asp?coach_id=10

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I agree on Jenkins, but I don't see Kamp holding up. He had lost weight in recent years, and he's probably around 270 right now. He was more effective at a lighter weight.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Largely, if we wanted to go 3-4, I'm concerned as to whether we have the NT that scheme needs. Maybe if they draft Raji he could be that guy, but I don't know if Pickett can (or has) played 3-4 NT. It's a different position than 4-3 DT and not everybody can do both.

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Kampman would be the biggest question mark, but I think he could adjust. For one thing, he could go back to the weight he used to play at. Besides, he's always been pretty stout against the run for a guy his size. He would need to take more plays off, but that would be good for him anyway. Years like this year where he played 95% of the defensive snaps can shorten a career.

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Largely, if we wanted to go 3-4, I'm concerned as to whether we have the NT that scheme needs. Maybe if they draft Raji he could be that guy, but I don't know if Pickett can (or has) played 3-4 NT. It's a different position than 4-3 DT and not everybody can do both.

While I don't disagree with that, Pickett plays the NT position in our 4-3 defense. Jolly plays the "3-Tech" DT, over or outside the Guard. Pickett plays in the Center/Guard gap....where he'd play in a 3-4 NT position.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Disagree. First off, Jenkins is 305 lbs. Gain weight? Very inaccurate quote. Yes Kampman would be light, probably 15 pounds light depending on how they use him. But they could move him around as well, like the Patriots do with Richard Seymour.

I tend to believe the Jenkins the prototype 3-4 end. He's fast enough to turn the corner and provide a good pass rush, and he is thick/stout enough to hold the point and stop the run.

Kampman is 2" shorter and 45 pounds lighter than Seymore. He'd probably have to bulk up a fairly substantial amount. I think he'd make a decent 3-4 LB as long as they used him in the pass rushing role. Athletically, I don't think he's any worse or better than a Jason Taylor, who some say is the prototypically 3-4 pass rush LB.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Herm Edwards. Tony Sporano. Andy Reid. Mike Singletary. Tom Coughlin (never an NFL coordinator). John Harbaugh. Lane Kiffin. Tom Cable.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM

While I don't disagree with that, Pickett plays the NT position in our 4-3 defense. Jolly plays the "3-Tech" DT, over or outside the Guard. Pickett plays in the Center/Guard gap....where he'd play in a 3-4 NT position.

Doesn't NT line up directly over center in the 3-4 traditionally?

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM

I tend to believe the Jenkins the prototype 3-4 end. He's fast enough to turn the corner and provide a good pass rush, and he is thick/stout enough to hold the point and stop the run.

Kampman is 2" shorter and 45 pounds lighter than Seymore. He'd probably have to bulk up a fairly substantial amount. I think he'd make a decent 3-4 LB as long as they used him in the pass rushing role. Athletically, I don't think he's any worse or better than a Jason Taylor, who some say is the prototypically 3-4 pass rush LB.

I don't think Kampy is as athletic as either of those guys. Seymour is 315 lbs? holy shit...guess I didn't know that. Kampman is the toss up in my 3-4 dream, but I think Kampman is the type of guy to work just that hard enough to succeed in any thing he's in.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Herm Edwards. Tony Sporano. Andy Reid. Mike Singletary. Tom Coughlin (never an NFL coordinator). John Harbaugh. Lane Kiffin. Tom Cable.

LOL, shows what I know :lol:

Anyway, good to see some quality coaches on the list. I would rather Moss go on to be an HC than our DC. I wish him the best.

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM

NO...at least not in the Pittsburgh, New England, or Cleveland 3-4 Defense's that I've seen. They will traditionally put the NT in the 1 gap to the strong side call, and try to tie both play side inside players.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
I didn't know that. BTW, Seymour is at 210 according to ESPN and Kamp is at 265. Didn't Kamp used to play at 280?

What about that rookie end. The Wake Forest guy. Where would he fit? He'd almost have to be an OLB. Jason Hunter could play the OLB, or maybe even DE. He's up to 280 I believe I read on JSO or heard on WSSP.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I am no 3-4 X and O expert. Used to be, back when it was the Oilers and Browns defense of choice, but that was a very different animal in the old AFC.

I agree Jenkins just might be built for it. Kampman is going to get tired two gapping all game long. Pickett has the size, but he'll need a backup and I worry that his off year wasn't just the arm injury.

Linebackers, I don't know. Hawk and Barnett might be athletic enough outside, but you would be taking your chances with Bishop inside who has one start under his belt at the other position. The big thing is, if the new coach thinks he can do it, then let him do it. The coach will know who fits and who doesn't better than Thompson or McCarthy. Moss might have seen some 3-4 under Haslett.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
ND, you think Poop could play inside in the 34?

I think he might be best at beating the TE to a pulp in a 4-3 under.

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I didn't know that. BTW, Seymour is at 210 according to ESPN and Kamp is at 265. Didn't Kamp used to play at 280?

What about that rookie end. The Wake Forest guy. Where would he fit? He'd almost have to be an OLB. Jason Hunter could play the OLB, or maybe even DE. He's up to 280 I believe I read on JSO or heard on WSSP.

Yeah, Thompson & Hunter would probably be OLB's in a 3-4.

I do agree with your thoughts on Kampman, which is why I said he's kind of the tough one in the group.

And about the 2-Gap thought by pbmax...ALL NFL front 7 guys 2 gap. Only crap High School defenses play single gap defenses. Most likely, and I don't know, so this is my guess about how Sanders used the DE's, but Kampman was probably responsible for pinching down his inside gap, but also had his outside gap to cover as well, that is the most likely DE responsibility in a press covereage team.

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
ND, you think Poop could play inside in the 34?

I think he might be best at beating the TE to a pulp in a 4-3 under.

Funny thing, I just remembered that Poop played a type of 3-4 OLB as a DE at BYU. I think he was considered a DE there, but was a stand up DE, so depending on the coordinator he could be an OLB. BUT, generally in a 3-4 defense, the MLB are "bigger" so poop probably would fit that mold a bit more.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Anybody else think that McCarthy might wait to see what happens with Jim Haslett before deciding? If Moss or Haslett go to St. Louis, McCarthy hires the other guy as DC. I'm intrigued by Haslett. He led New Orleans to a pretty good defensive ranking in 1996, and his Pittsburgh defenses from 1997-1999 were pretty good too. Like Moss, sounds like he has experience in both a 3-4 and a 4-3.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Obviously for the first year or two we will have to go through some growing pains with reshaping the roster and getting players into the right position.

I think Popp could play inside in the 3-4. He's a marginal player in my mind, but he's a leader on the squad now and an intense guy, so you've almost got to find a spot for him.

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM

You mean Aaron Curry? He's a LB. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/aaron_curry.html

Or are you thinking of Michael Johnson of Georgia Tech?

KYPack
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM

ND, good to see you on here. Now that football is over, maybe you can post more.

That said, I need to argue with you, McGinn, & some others. We don't play 4-3 over. We play 95% 4-3 under with both DT's in a 3 technique with 2 gap responsibility. That's my main criticism of Sanders. His inflexibility. he stayed in that base shell WAY too much. It was such an easy read. My main beef was with the linebackers. They'd play the DT's in a 3, the ends wide and the LB's sheltered, 6-7 yards deep. If we tried to do anything else, like blitz, it was too obvious.

We've got experienced guys that would be well and able to play a lot of varied schemes. But Sanders was stuck in what he knew.

We could mix in some 3-4. Pop and Chillar could be on the field at the same time and be effective. We could also play some cover 3 with Rouse or Bigby playing the robber spot. they both peek WAY too much, take their weakness and mke 'em spies. They'd be better at that spot anyway.

Take all our talent and put 'em spots to make plays. That's what a D Coordinator does anyhow.

Partial

You mean Aaron Curry? He's a LB. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/aaron_curry.html

Our guy, Jeremy Thompson. I had a mind blank when typing.

ND72
3-4 or 4-3...honestly, I don't care. I just want something NEW. Holmgren's defenses were 4-3, and in general were pretty vanilla as well...mostly cause of the 4 guys up front. But, they had many different wrinkles. They did things, they didn't just sit in their vanilla coverages. I don't know I guess...I know Fritz was an amazing coordinator, but man, I am just hoping for something exciting ot happen. We have a ton of athletes now on Defense, which we really haven't had in a long time. Lets do somethign with this.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 09:46 PM

I think he's thinking of Jeremy Thompson, DE Wake who we drafted last year. As I understand, he played up a fair bit at Wake.

ND72
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM

ND, good to see you on here. Now that football is over, maybe you can post more.

That said, I need to argue with you, McGinn, & some others. We don't play 4-3 over. We play 95% 4-3 under with both DT's in a 3 technique with 2 gap responsibility. That's my main criticism of Sanders. His inflexibility. he stayed in that base shell WAY too much. It was such an easy read. My main beef was with the linebackers. They'd play the DT's in a 3, the ends wide and the LB's sheltered, 6-7 yards deep. If we tried to do anything else, like blitz, it was too obvious.

We've got experienced guys that would be well and able to play a lot of varied schemes. But Sanders was stuck in what he knew.

We could mix in some 3-4. Pop and Chillar could be on the field at the same time and be effective. We could also play some cover 3 with Rouse or Bigby playing the robber spot. they both peek WAY too much, take their weakness and mke 'em spies. They'd be better at that spot anyway.

Take all our talent and put 'em spots to make plays. That's what a D Coordinator does anyhow.

I wish I could say I'd be on here more, but I'm about to hit hard now with basketball...15 games in 8 weeks. My fiance may want a divorce before we get married :lol:

I agree with much of what you said though. The 3-4 intreges me...honestly, maybe because it'd be really NEW to us, and all I've wanted for the year is just to have something new happen with our Defense.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
One thing is for sure that I look for in a coordinator is someone that can maximize the unique skill sets of Aaron Rouse and Bigby. Bigby reminds me a LOT of Bob Sanders (2007-2008 defensive player of the year). Perhaps its the hair and the big hits, but I think it goes further with their limitations in coverage, excellent instincts in the box, etc.

Rouse has such a unique skill set because he is HUGE and has really good linear speed (ran what a 4.5ish at the combine). I want to see Rouse used as a rover and to use him in Blitzing a lot. I've seen a few momentum where he shoots out like a harpoon and Bill Goldberg spears a mofo in the backfield. I want more of this off the edge!!!

KYPack
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM

NO...at least not in the Pittsburgh, New England, or Cleveland 3-4 Defense's that I've seen. They will traditionally put the NT in the 1 gap to the strong side call, and try to tie both play side inside players.

Pitt, SD and Cleve play the NT on the nose generally. Williams moved a lot yesterday, when merriman was there, he played 0 technique all the time.

I love Pitt's 3-4. It's a 4-3 style 3-4. Those two buck linebacker play just like extra DE's on the run and alternate covering on passes. 1 of 'em storms on almost every pass play.

NE?

good luck! the NT can play any one of 3 techniques.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I thought both DTs in a 3 technique WAS part of the 4-3 over? To keep a guard from getting his mitts on the Mike?

I have seen Pickett slide over to the center's shoulder to a more traditional nose tackle spot, but that seemed, to me to be the exception.

Bretsky
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
One thing is for sure that I look for in a coordinator is someone that can maximize the unique skill sets of Aaron Rouse and Bigby. Bigby reminds me a LOT of Bob Sanders (2007-2008 defensive player of the year). Perhaps its the hair and the big hits, but I think it goes further with their limitations in coverage, excellent instincts in the box, etc.

Rouse has such a unique skill set because he is HUGE and has really good linear speed (ran what a 4.5ish at the combine). I want to see Rouse used as a rover and to use him in Blitzing a lot. I've seen a few momentum where he shoots out like a harpoon and Bill Goldberg spears a mofo in the backfield. I want more of this off the edge!!!

I hope you are right; I don't see a Bob Sanders in Bigby. Not even close for me

I see Chuck Cecil.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
3-4 or 4-3...honestly, I don't care. I just want something NEW. Holmgren's defenses were 4-3, and in general were pretty vanilla as well...mostly cause of the 4 guys up front. But, they had many different wrinkles. They did things, they didn't just sit in their vanilla coverages. I don't know I guess...I know Fritz was an amazing coordinator, but man, I am just hoping for something exciting ot happen. We have a ton of athletes now on Defense, which we really haven't had in a long time. Lets do somethign with this.

Agreed, completely.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 10:00 PM

The mention of 3-4 and Cover 1 robber gives me a great excuse to link to one of the best articles on football I have read in a very long time. Its about Saban and his discipleship of Belicheck. Also a mention of Bob Stoops.

Nick Saban's Defense and Cover 1 Robber (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/08/coaching-preview-alabamas-nick-saban-vs.html)

Joemailman
01-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Hawk is the guy I want to see utilized better by the new DC. I like Bigby too. Rouse I'm not so sure about. He looked good last year when he filled in for Nick Collins at FS. I don't think he has the physical flexibility to play closer to the line. Hope I'm wrong, but I see him as a career backup.

KYPack
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I thought both DTs in a 3 technique WAS part of the 4-3 over? To keep a guard from getting his mitts on the Mike?

I have seen Pickett slide over to the center's shoulder to a more traditional nose tackle spot, but that seemed, to me to be the exception.

No.

4-3 over means the DT plays OVER the center's nose. it's also called 0 technique. We play 'em both at 3 mostly. That's a 4-3 under. You also can call it odd or even. And over is odd, an under is even.

Although I guess I should say we USED to play it that way.

We were locked into a lot of shit that we needed flexibility in. We had to play our LB's deep and sheltered. We played both our corners in press cover. That's cool, what if we have injuries?

We had our base and a few variations.

We need several bases and a whole herd of variations.

Guess we don't need Sanders.

Tex, the "blitz happy commies" may have taken over, head to the bunker.

KYPack
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I've seen a few momentum where he shoots out like a harpoon and Bill Goldberg spears a mofo in the backfield. I want more of this off the edge!!!

What does this mean?

Seriously.

swede
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
It's like Partial is being played by Dennis Hopper tonight.

jmbarnes101
01-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I've seen a few momentum where he shoots out like a harpoon and Bill Goldberg spears a mofo in the backfield. I want more of this off the edge!!!

Brilliant! You managed to mention two wrestlers with the exact same finishing maneuver to describe this without even trying. Love it.

pbmax
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
It's like Partial is being played by Dennis Hopper tonight.
Or Crispin Glover.

Brando19
01-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Brilliant! You managed to mention two wrestlers with the exact same finishing maneuver to describe this without even trying. Love it.

Maybe three...goldberg, edge, and I'm sure harpoon is being used by some guy in the indy circuits somewhere. :lol:

Partial
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM

What does this mean?

Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zYe3s8ib9k&feature=related

Rouse has had quite a few huge hits in the back field just like that. I love it, and want to see him used on Blitzs more as that appears to be his strength.

Not sure what the "momentum" is doing in there. I've see a few plays* it should read.

The Shadow
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Dave McGinnis, if he could be pried away from the Titans (assistant HC + linebackers) might be an interesting option.
He would come with a natural grudge against the Bears.

Partial
01-04-2009, 10:25 PM
dp

Partial
01-04-2009, 10:27 PM

The mention of 3-4 and Cover 1 robber gives me a great excuse to link to one of the best articles on football I have read in a very long time. Its about Saban and his discipleship of Belicheck. Also a mention of Bob Stoops.

Nick Saban's Defense and Cover 1 Robber (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/08/coaching-preview-alabamas-nick-saban-vs.html)

Good read. Thanks for sharing. I'm about half through and it's certainly worth the time to read.

Guiness
01-04-2009, 10:44 PM
We are still all going off the National Football Post, PFT and JSOnline are just quoting Brandt, et al. SO don't drive to the airport to help the man with his luggage yet. If true, I wonder what kind of terms they left on?

I agree it wasn't Barnett's best year at all, but except for Hawk's first game or two at MLB, we were clearly affected without him.

It's hard to tell if Barnett was that much better than Hawk at MLB, or if Hawk's presence at the outside position was missed. I.E. maybe Hawk played as well as Barnett in the middle, but didn't have the same support from Chillar that he gave Barnett?

I don't know how you can tell...

Partial
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
One would think that somebody from JSO or GBPG should have an article confirming it with their usual midnight updates, right?

Partial
01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37075984.html

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090104/PKR01/90104038/1058?GID=bEs4MITKBrZPWwksbEctWoQDJAmpux+5LooEVgWa1 5M%3D

Guiness
01-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Greg Williams is available. He should be brought in for an interview.

I liked him in Buffalo (stint as HC aside). He's a cold weather guy too.

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Greg Williams is available. He should be brought in for an interview.

I liked him in Buffalo (stint as HC aside). He's a cold weather guy too.

Greg Williams is available? I'd like to hire him yesterday.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090104/PKR01/90104038/1058?GID=bEs4MITKBrZPWwksbEctWoQDJAmpux+5LooEVgWa1 5M%3D
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37075984.html

Though Moss has worked in Sanders’ defensive scheme the past three years, he spent his formative coaching seasons working for Jim Haslett with the New Orleans Saints from 2000 to 2005. Haslett, who finished this season as interim coach of the St. Louis Rams, runs a blitz-oriented 4-3 system that’s different than the Bates-Sanders system.

Under the radar candidates.

Other potential candidates are Pittsburgh linebackers coach Keith Butler, Carolina defensive backs coach and former Packer Tim Lewis and Washington secondary coach Jerry Gray, who was one of the candidates McCarthy interviewed before hiring Sanders.

Potential candidates who haven’t been defensive coordinators in the NFL include:

-- Todd Bowles, a former Packers scout who worked for Bill Parcells in Dallas and is Miami’s defensive backs coach. He also carries the title of assistant head coach, which allows the Dolphins to block a move to any coaching position but head coach.

-- Pepper Johnson, New England’s linebackers coach. He’s worked nine seasons in the creative and versatile system coach Bill Belichick runs with the Patriots.

-- Bill Sheridan, the New York Giants’ linebackers coach. He’s worked the past two years in the defensive system run by Giants, the pressure-oriented system taught by Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson.

-- Sean McDermott, Philadelphia’s defensive backs coach. The 34-year-old McDermott has coached defensive backs and linebackers under Johnson in that same pressure-oriented scheme since 2001.

Patler
01-05-2009, 01:11 AM
We could also play some cover 3 with Rouse or Bigby playing the robber spot. they both peek WAY too much, take their weakness and mke 'em spies. They'd be better at that spot anyway.

Isn't that what Rouse played in college, or am I thinking of the wrong recent draft pick?

mission
01-05-2009, 01:58 AM
before i read this whole thread i just wanted to thank PR for making my day... i opened up the site, literally crossing my fingers, and the first headline i saw was this one...

HOPE 09!

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2009, 02:47 AM
I haven't seen this much fan certainty about the defensive coordinator positon since Fritz Shurmer left. Guy was a friggin genius, for sure. Except then he went to Denver and fizzled fast.

Sander was thought to be acceptable because he trained under the master. And last year when the defense played well, hardly a peep of objection was heard.

I guess the move is probably right because I suspect MM has the character and confidence to do what's best for the team. Until he proves this theory wrong in some incident, I cut him that slack.

I think the celebrators are chimps who just had some peanuts thrown in their cage.

packrulz
01-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I haven't seen this much fan certainty about the defensive coordinator positon since Fritz Shurmer left. Guy was a friggin genius, for sure. Except then he went to Denver and fizzled fast.

Sander was thought to be acceptable because he trained under the master. And last year when the defense played well, hardly a peep of objection was heard.

I guess the move is probably right because I suspect MM has the character and confidence to do what's best for the team. Until he proves this theory wrong in some incident, I cut him that slack.

I think the celebrators are chimps who just had some peanuts thrown in their cage.
What about Jim Bates? Is he fired with Shanahan?

pbmax
01-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Bates left Denver after one year. I don't think he worked last year.

sheepshead
01-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Sanders fired as defensive coordinator, but who's next?
By Pete Dougherty • pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com • January 4, 2009

The Packers’ coach fired his defensive coordinator of the past three seasons, Bob Sanders, NationalFootballPost.com reported Sunday evening. McCarthy now begins the search for his replacement.

McCarthy took a full week after the Packers’ 2008 season ended to make the decision, which many inside and outside the organization expected after key defensive letdowns contributed significantly to the team’s 6-10 record. McCarthy hired Sanders, 55, as his defensive coordinator after being named head coach in 2006.

Sanders had been defensive line coach on former coach Mike Sherman’s staff, and McCarthy opted to promote him to defensive coordinator after Jim Bates turned down returning in that job. McCarthy liked the continuity Sanders provided in retaining the defensive scheme the Packers had used in 2005 as well as the aggressive man-to-man pass coverage the system deploys.

However, after finishing No. 12 in the NFL in yards allowed and tied for No. 6 in points allowed in 2007 in helping the Packers advance to the NFC championship game, Sanders’ defense dipped to Nos. 20 and 22, respectively, this season. Most importantly, the defense was unable to get key stops late in several close games the Packers lost and allowed more fourth-quarter points than all but one team in the league.

McCarthy’s background is as a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, so he faces a huge decision because his defensive coordinator has near autonomy over that side of the ball. Among the factors McCarthy has to consider is whether he wants to remain a 4-3 defense or switch to a 3-4, which would require major changes in the types of defensive linemen and linebackers the team would deploy.

The one potential candidate to replace Sanders on staff is Winston Moss, who is the Packers’ linebackers coach and assistant head coach. Though Moss has worked in Sanders’ defensive scheme the past three years, he spent his formative coaching seasons working for Jim Haslett with the New Orleans Saints from 2000 to 2005. Haslett, who finished this season as interim coach of the St. Louis Rams, runs a blitz-oriented 4-3 system that’s different from the Bates-Sanders system.

Moss also is a candidate for the St. Louis Rams’ head-coaching vacancy and interviewed for that position Saturday.

Haslett, who remains at least in the running for the Rams’ head-coaching opening, also is a potential candidate for McCarthy. |McCarthy was Haslett’s offensive coordinator with the Saints from 2000 to 2004.

Several former head coaches who were fired this year or are serving as position coaches also could be candidates: Mike Nolan, who was fired as San Francisco’s head coach this season; Gregg Williams, who was let go as Jacksonville’s defensive coordinator after the regular season; Romeo Crennel, who was fired as Cleveland’s head coach last week; Rod Marinelli, who was fired as Detroit’s coach last week; Jerry Gray, the former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator and current secondary coach for the Washington Redskins; and Dave McGinnis, the former Arizona Cardinals coach and current Tennessee Titans linebackers coach whose additional title of assistant head coach allows the Titans to block a move to defensive coordinator if they choose.

Eric Mangini, who was fired as the New York Jets’ coach |after the season, is another possible replacement but appears to be a front-runner for Cleveland’s vacant head-coaching position.

Potential candidates who haven’t served as defensive coordinators in the NFL include:

Todd Bowles, a former Packers scout who worked for Bill Parcells in Dallas and now is Miami’s defensive backs coach. He also carries the title of assistant head coach, which allows the Dolphins to block a move to any coaching position but head coach.

Pepper Johnson, New England’s linebackers coach. He’s worked nine seasons in the creative and versatile system coach Bill Belichick runs with the Patriots.

Bill Sheridan, the New York Giants’ linebackers coach. He’s worked the past two years in the latest defensive system in vogue that’s run by Giants, the pressure-oriented system taught by Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson.

Sean McDermott, Philadelphia’s defensive backs coach. The 34-year-old McDermott has coached defensive backs and linebackers under Jim Johnson in that same pressure-oriented scheme since 2001.

Hiring Nolan, Crennel, Pepper Johnson or Bowles would require an especially big change because all have backgrounds steeped in the 3-4 defensive scheme. The Packers’ roster is built for a 4-3 defense, so switching to the 3-4 would require adding a pure nose tackle and finding several hybrid linebackers who can both rush the passer and cover the flats in pass coverage.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Seems like some good qualifications for the next DC might be:

1) Faith healer. It would have been nice to have had a healthy Jenkins, Bigby, Rouse, Harris, Hawk, Harrell, and KGB this past season.
2) Junkyard sculptor - the new DC will have to make a piece of art out of a load of trash. recycled crap, and a few rare gems.
3) Baby sitter - the defense is only going to get younger. No free agents and an inevitable turnover at cornerback in the next year or two.

EDIT: I feel ashamed that I forgot about Nick Barnett in the list of injured Packers. And this after Clefty was even thinking about writing a column about how under-valued Barnett had been and how the defense really fell apart after he was lost for the season...

vince
01-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Here's the guy I'd most like to see hired, which obviously means he won't even be interviewed. He was named #2 in an anonymous scout's listing of the Top 10 Coordinators in Waiting (http://www.packerupdate.com/pu/2009/01/top-10-coordinatorsinwaiting.html). He has spent the last 8 years under the league's most respected attacking, pressure-oriented defensive minds, and he receives a wealth of respect throughout the league as a very bright guy who already has a strong history of success at the positional coaching ranks.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/CoachBios.asp?coach_id=10

Sean McDermott
Secondary Coach
Philadelphia Eagles

One of the brightest, young defensive minds in the league, Sean McDermott enters his 10th season in Philadelphia. McDermott was named secondary coach on January 28, 2008, after a successful one-year stint as linebackers coach last season.

"I don't think there are a lot of secondary coaches that are as good as Sean McDermott," Eagles head coach Andy Reid said. "He was a phenomenal linebackers coach and, really, his versatility I just think is second to none."

The linebacking group flourished under McDermott in 2007 as two youngsters – Omar Gaither (team-leading 170 tackles and 14 hurries) and Chris Gocong (92 tackles, including 7 for a loss) – progressed into full-time starters for the first time in their careers.

From 2004-06, McDermott served as the Eagles secondary/safeties coach. In 2004, he saw both of his starting safeties (Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis) earn Pro Bowl berths for the first time in team history. Under McDermott's watch, Dawkins went on to earn two more Pro Bowl berths following the 2005 and 2006 seasons. In addition, McDermott has been credited with the development of Eagles S Quintin Mikell.

McDermott worked as the Eagles assistant secondary coach in 2003 and as the club's defensive assistant/quality control coach from 2001-02, working with the linebacker position. In all, McDermott is the longest tenured defensive assistant coach under Jim Johnson.

Under McDermott's watch, one of his players (Dawkins twice, Lewis and Gaither) has been the most productive player on defense in four out of the last five years.

McDermott originally joined the Eagles in 1998 as a scouting administrative coordinator, a position he held until being promoted to assistant to the head coach in 1999.

From 1993-97, McDermott was a safety at the College of William and Mary, earning all-conference honors in 1997, Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-America accolades. In 1998, he was the recipient of the prestigious Benjamin Ewell Award for his tremendous leadership and excellence on campus and in the community. In the spring of 1998, McDermott began his coaching career at William and Mary.

A 1993 graduate of LaSalle HS, McDermott was named All-Southeastern Pennsylvania at defensive back in 1992. An all-around athlete, he was also a national prep school wrestling champion in his junior and senior year and lettered twice in track.

In 2005, McDermott was named to the Philadelphia Daily News All-Catholic league team for standout players over the last three decades.

A native of Omaha, Nebraska, McDermott (born 3/21/74) earned a bachelor degree in finance while at William and Mary. He enjoys exercising, playing golf and is an active member of the Church. He and his wife, Jamie, and their newborn daughter, Madeline, reside in Phoenixville, PA.

Highlander said he's hearing Moss is the man.. I vaguely recall that highlander is a member of the media if I'm not mistken...? Highlander, can you refresh my memory as to why or how your sources might be credible?

In any event, just in looking at what we know about McCarthy and his relationship with Moss, I too think he's most likely to choose Moss for the job, although my sources are Bob McGinn, Mike Vandermause and Cleft Crusty.

Patler
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Sean McDermott
Secondary Coach
Philadelphia Eagles

From 1993-97, McDermott was a safety at the College of William and Mary, earning all-conference honors in 1997, Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-America accolades. In 1998, he was the recipient of the prestigious Benjamin Ewell Award for his tremendous leadership and excellence on campus and in the community. In the spring of 1998, McDermott began his coaching career at William and Mary.

He must have been Darren Sharper's partner at safety in college.
See, there is a Packer connection! :lol:

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
This is indeed shitty news--if it's true--to start the week.

If Sanders is gone, hopefully it will be Moss assuming he has the good sense to retain the same system.

If it's somebody from outside, hopefully it's not one of these blitz-happy idiots that will drag down the Packers.

If it's some 3-4 type, the Packers in fact do have decent personnel for that--Pickett at the nose, Jenkins and Kampman at DE, and plenty of serviceable LBs as well as smallish fast DEs who can play the wing, several of whom might even be more suited for 3-4. You can run the 3-4 different ways--either a lot of blitzing or very little (other than sending one LB for a four man run like the 4-3). If it's that, I wouldn't be too negative about it.

You also can run the 3-4 with mostly zone or with mostly man coverage. Hopefully we get somebody with the sense to do the latter--if indeed, this isn't all false, and if, indeed, they bring in a 3-4 guy.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
This is indeed shitty news--if it's true--to start the week....

... --if indeed, this isn't all false, and if, indeed, they bring in a 3-4 guy.
Its true tex, the Packers have a press release out. No meddlesome reporters to worry about.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Blitzing oriented teams in the playoffs:

Arizona
Baltimore
San Diego
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
NY

Teams in playoffs that are not blitz oriented:
Tennessee
Carolina

What say you, Tex?

Zool
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Arizona
Baltimore
San Diego
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
NY

Tennessee
Carolina

What say you, Tex?

Seems like the better your D-line is, the less you have to blitz. Seems pretty common sensical to me.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Arizona
Baltimore
San Diego
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
NY

Tennessee
Carolina

What say you, Tex?

I say you misspelled Pittsburgh.

The Giants "blitz-oriented"? That's kinda a stretch.

I still don't like overdoing the blitzing.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Arizona
Baltimore
San Diego
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
NY

Tennessee
Carolina

What say you, Tex?

Seems like the better your D-line is, the less you have to blitz. Seems pretty common sensical to me.

Agreed, but beyond that, it is very evident to me that the teams that show different fronts/alignments as well as implement creative blitzing schemes are having a good amount of success.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not one that buys into one system over the other. You can be successful with a 3-4 (if you have a stout DL and multi-talented LBs), 4-3 with a lot of blitzing (if you have good corners), and a 4-3 without blitzing (if you have a good DL). You can be bad with those systems if you don't have the right mix of players.

Of course, 3-4 teams are going to be on the high end of "blitzing" teams. They only have 3 down linemen, and they are going to blitz one or two LBs on most plays.

BTW, the Redskins blitzed the most out of any team in the NFL in 2006. They went 5-11, and their defense was awful. Remember Bob Slowitz and all of his blitzing? I can imagine you'll find "blitzing" teams at the top of the stats and bottom. Same with "non-blitzing" teams. Cleveland, Jets, and San Fran all played a 3-4 and they were all middle of the pack or worse in defensive stats (and didn't make the playoffs).

I want a DC that can adjust, but I do prefer more and better disguised blitzing than we saw under Sanders. I wouldn't be adverse to the 3-4 defense, but I think their success will be more watered down as more teams switch to a 3-4. It will get harder to find the personnel to make it work with more teams looking for the same qualities in their players.

BTW, Tennessee blitzed the least this year.

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
"Blitzing" is absolutely not a panacea. I think, ultimately, what we should be hoping for in a new defensive system is the flexibility to blitz (effectively) when appropriate, to show different looks, and to adjust defensive strategy when things aren't working.

Though it was successful last year, there's a sort of inflexibility and small margin for error in the Bates/Sanders system, as we saw this year.

Partial
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM

Arizona
Baltimore
San Diego
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
NY

Tennessee
Carolina

What say you, Tex?

I say you misspelled Pittsburgh.

The Giants "blitz-oriented"? That's kinda a stretch.

I still don't like overdoing the blitzing.

Kind of a stretch that the Giants are a bltzing team? Spanulo is known for his Jim Johnson style blitzing!!! Calling them anything less than a heavy blitzing team is just crazy talk imo.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2009, 12:38 PM

What about Jim Bates? Is he fired with Shanahan?

I had a mild stroke. I meant Jim "Master" Bates, of course, not Fritz.
Bates got fired, well, "retired", after one down year.

mission
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Lots of folks not understanding football too much here... it's not a blitzing vs. not blitzing...

it's called CREATIVE DEFENSIVE FRONTS

nothing to do with blitzing in and of itself ...

we need to be able to OUT THINK our opponent for once... they are doing something that is working ???? we need a DC that can counter that and shut it down at half time

i am 100% behind mcdermott but i dont think we will get him ... and if we do, he wont be around for long.

Partial
01-05-2009, 06:16 PM
another JSO article.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37104449.html

Bossman641
01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
another JSO article.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37104449.html

Good article. At this point I am really hoping for McDermott. I think he could use the players we have in to a pretty good defense.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
At linebacker, only Brandon Chillar and Nick Barnett fit the mold of 3-4 linebackers -- and that's at the two inside 'backer spots. Chillar could also play some weakside. A.J. Hawk wouldn't fit well. Neither would Brady Poppinga.

I don't necessarily buy this.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM
At linebacker, only Brandon Chillar and Nick Barnett fit the mold of 3-4 linebackers -- and that's at the two inside 'backer spots. Chillar could also play some weakside. A.J. Hawk wouldn't fit well. Neither would Brady Poppinga.

I don't necessarily buy this.

I don't either. If anything, they don't fit. Inside backers in the 4-3 need to be big, long, and have good width. Out of the 4 main linebackers we use, those are the two smallest (looking, at least) imo.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
"According to one source, Sanders and Nunn stood united in support of the scheme whereas the other coaches to various degrees advocated change.

"Sanders and Nunn wanted to do it the Bates way, that it was tried and true," the source said. "But there was another camp within the staff headed by Moss that didn't like the scheme Sanders was using. There was a lot of bitching and griping. "

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37127204.html

interesting read to say the least.

mission
01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
"According to one source, Sanders and Nunn stood united in support of the scheme whereas the other coaches to various degrees advocated change.

"Sanders and Nunn wanted to do it the Bates way, that it was tried and true," the source said. "But there was another camp within the staff headed by Moss that didn't like the scheme Sanders was using. There was a lot of bitching and griping. "

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37127204.html

interesting read to say the least.

ya nteresting read...

i like this one lol

"Kurt Schottenheimer, 59, secondary coach for three years. He and McCarthy served on his brother's staff in Kansas City for six years. Also fired by Sherman (in January 2005), he might be the first assistant ever let go twice by the Packers.

Bossman641
01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
If MM was interested in McDermott would he even be able to interview him right now? I know guys like Spagnuolo were getting interviewed last week cause they had the bye. I don't believe McDermott has Assistant Head Coach or anything as one of his titles, so it would be a move up the ladder and the Eagles couldn't block it. Is there a rule, either unwritten or written, about interviewing assistants on teams still in the playoffs? I don't believe it is allowed. Maybe that's why we are not hearing much yet in the way of interviews????

Partial
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Can't interview assistants of playoff teams until after playoffs are OR if they had a bye week. It's my understanding that Spagnulo could not interview after Saturday, but I could be wrong.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090105/PKR01/90105164/1058

Keith Butler sounds intriguing to me. The linebackers for Pitt always perform very well. Harrison was a back-up just two years ago!

Bossman641
01-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Can't interview assistants of playoff teams until after playoffs are OR if they had a bye week. It's my understanding that Spagnulo could not interview after Saturday, but I could be wrong.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090105/PKR01/90105164/1058

That's what I thought. Do you know if you can even contact them to set up interviews?