PDA

View Full Version : Thompson and FA

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I tend to agree with this article, and I'm hoping Thompson is playing a little possum. Of course, I think he's had the best offer available for a few guys and had the rug pulled out from under him (Arrington, Vinatieri, Moss, Gonzalez), so I don't completely buy that he's adverse to it. I do think he needs to land a couple of guys this offseason. He can go hogwild though because we have several good, young players coming up for extensions.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates/430729

Zool
01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I still dont get how, other than the first round, trading down is any different than just picking. Well I guess you do acquire more darts to throw at a board, but isnt that a positive? Is trading up in the 3rd round better than trading 1 upper second for 2 lower seconds? He's only traded down once in the 1st. The rest he has stood pat. Maybe the writer wants 2 first round picks every year? I don't get it.

Hard to say on FA. Definitely should have targeted some OG's but who can say that he hasnt and didnt get them? I guess I dont sit in his office every day so I can't say what may or may not have happened of pure speculation. I guess that why I'm not a paid writer.

Lurker64
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I have nothing against Thompson trading around a little bit to net extra picks in rounds 2-4. Trading down in the seventh round strikes me as potentially a kind of a psychological problem though.

Of course, you always end up with extra sixes and sevens when you trade down earlier on in the draft, since those are the small change of the draft economy.

I don't think that "Thompson habitually trading down" is really a problem. Since teams find playmakers in every round, picking high in the third doesn't seem to be any more certain of delivering an impact guy than picking low in the third and high in the fifth.

steve823
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
What do you guys think about us getting Rocky Bernard. I think hes a good DT and he can get pressure as well as stopping the run. Hes not as much of a long shot as peppers or haynesworth and I think we might get him.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
I have ZERO problem with him trading down as much as he does. If there are 5 guys on his board that he likes equally, it makes sense to trade down 5 spots and pick up extra picks. It's a crapshoot. I like having more darts to throw at the board.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
If they do go 3-4, Suggs would be a really nice addition.

I too, believe that Ted will be involved in FA this year. So far, he's done a pretty good job outside of the Jordy pick. I definitely would have gone a different direction.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
What do you guys think about us getting Rocky Bernard. I think hes a good DT and he can get pressure as well as stopping the run. Hes not as much of a long shot as peppers or haynesworth and I think we might get him.

There's Haynesworth, and the rest of the guys (Bernard, Jovan Haye) are undersized pass rushing DTs. Could take a chance on a big, underachieving DT like Gabe Watson. I see Bernard as a similar player to Jenkins. Thus, I think he makes some sense.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM

There's Haynesworth, and the rest of the guys (Bernard, Jovan Haye) are undersized pass rushing DTs. Could take a chance on a big, underachieving DT like Gabe Watson. I see Bernard as a similar player to Jenkins. Thus, I think he makes some sense.

No to Wastson. He can't crack the starting lineup as a Nose in Ari. Is there nose any good, or is Watson just that bad?

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Watson started for them last year, and showed some promise. He came into this season injured, so that might explain why he didn't start or continue to progress. Again, depending on the price, he might be worth gambling on.

Partial
01-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Watson started for them last year, and showed some promise. He came into this season injured, so that might explain why he didn't start or continue to progress. Again, depending on the price, he might be worth gambling on.

Well, in that case, he at least has some experience, and could be the back-up. I liked him coming out of school, thats for sure. Same with AB. Those Michigan boys are big.

PackerBlues
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
what about using draft picks to pick up a restricted free agent? Does anyone think that we will ever see Thompson do that? I know it is not done very often, by anyone really, but if a certain pro bowl calibur player was available at the cost of a first round pick........
(would it be any worse than taking a chance on a guy like Harrell?)

Spaulding
01-05-2009, 10:29 AM
what about using draft picks to pick up a restricted free agent? Does anyone think that we will ever see Thompson do that? I know it is not done very often, by anyone really, but if a certain pro bowl calibur player was available at the cost of a first round pick........
(would it be any worse than taking a chance on a guy like Harrell?)

No way when we have the 9th overall choice this year. In other years when we're drafting towards the bottom and are only a player away from being a legit SB contender and there is a player tagged with the transition tag (franchise = two #1's in compensation so no thanks) then maybe.

Like Jared Allen though, sometimes it's just a bargaining chip and the player might be had for less (ala Cassel).

Net though is with us drafting so high I can't imagine TT even considering it unless it was for Peppers and Carolina settled for our high #1 instead of two #1's. If so I'd be fine with that :)

rbaloha1
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM

Great idea. Upgrade from CC and MM. Still want Haynesworth though. AH combined with RP improves mlb play.

Gunakor
01-05-2009, 01:28 PM

I too, believe that Ted will be involved in FA this year. So far, he's done a pretty good job outside of the Jordy pick. I definitely would have gone a different direction.

I might have too, but I can't say I'm disappointed. Jordy dropped just one pass this year. He's got hands of glue. I'm glad to have him.

Partial
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

I might have too, but I can't say I'm disappointed. Jordy dropped just one pass this year. He's got hands of glue. I'm glad to have him.

He looks like he will be a pretty good receiver but at some point you just don't need anymore receivers. On the bright side, I don't see us drafting another receiver for a few years. We're good there.

Gunakor
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM

He looks like he will be a pretty good receiver but at some point you just don't need anymore receivers. On the bright side, I don't see us drafting another receiver for a few years. We're good there.

I disagree. You can never have too many good receivers, especially in an offense that likes to throw the ball around quite a bit. 2005 should be a good example of what can happen when you don't have enough good receivers. I liked our WR's heading into that season, with Walker, Driver, and rookie Terrance Murphy. But by the end of the season, guys like Taco Wallace and Carlyle Holliday were regularly seeing playing time. That was the first year of the TT era, so I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed. I'm glad TT has made it clear that we will never have that problem again as long as he's in charge.

Besides, regardless what Donald Driver says, I can't see him playing at an elite level for 5 more years. 2, maybe 3, but then there's going to be a considerable drop off. Ted, thinking proactively as usual, found guys early to fill that spot - and is getting them the experience they need early enough that once Driver is gone there will be little to no dropoff. In the meantime, we have the best WR corps 1-5 in the entire league. And that doesn't appear to be changing in the next few years. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM

I disagree. You can never have too many good receivers, especially in an offense that likes to throw the ball around quite a bit. 2005 should be a good example of what can happen when you don't have enough good receivers. I liked our WR's heading into that season, with Walker, Driver, and rookie Terrance Murphy. But by the end of the season, guys like Taco Wallace and Carlyle Holliday were regularly seeing playing time. That was the first year of the TT era, so I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed. I'm glad TT has made it clear that we will never have that problem again as long as he's in charge.

Besides, regardless what Donald Driver says, I can't see him playing at an elite level for 5 more years. 2, maybe 3, but then there's going to be a considerable drop off. Ted, thinking proactively as usual, found guys early to fill that spot - and is getting them the experience they need early enough that once Driver is gone there will be little to no dropoff. In the meantime, we have the best WR corps 1-5 in the entire league. And that doesn't appear to be changing in the next few years. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

But it did happen again - this year - but with the defense. At some point injuries are too severe to overcome. You could probably lose Jenkins, but then when you lose Barnett and Harris and Hawk and Bigby and KGB, permanently or for stretches, it's too much to overcome.

Gunakor
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM

But it did happen again - this year - but with the defense. At some point injuries are too severe to overcome. You could probably lose Jenkins, but then when you lose Barnett and Harris and Hawk and Bigby and KGB, permanently or for stretches, it's too much to overcome.

Well if he goes after another WR on day one when solid prospects at positions of greater need are still on the board, then I'll start bitching about it. Teams generally have 5 WR spots on their gameday roster, so I don't have a problem with making sure you have 5 good ones. Remember now, his first experience as GM of our team was to watch all of the skill positions on offense (which were not very deep at the time) suffer substantial injury. Now we have tremendous depth at the skill positions. TT decided that depth on the skill positions was as important as the starting talent, and restocked that depth with quality players. Kudos to him for getting the job done there. One could make a case that he's been trying with the OL too, but the guys on the line he brought in haven't panned out like those at the skill positions have.

Now he's seen it on the defense, and I'd expect he'll take the same route to rebuild the depth there. On a 53 man roster, it's hard to replace all of the depth all at once. What was most pressing at the time was the depth on offense, so that's what he rebuilt first. Now the defense has shown a lack of depth, so with the offense rebuilt for the most part, I'd expect TT to spend most of his time on the defensive side of the ball. Truth be told, he hasn't spent nearly as much time there as he has on offense during his time here. That's going to change this year.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Well if he goes after another WR on day one when solid prospects at positions of greater need are still on the board, then I'll start bitching about it. Teams generally have 5 WR spots on their gameday roster, so I don't have a problem with making sure you have 5 good ones. Remember now, his first experience as GM of our team was to watch all of the skill positions on offense (which were not very deep at the time) suffer substantial injury. Now we have tremendous depth at the skill positions. TT decided that depth on the skill positions was as important as the starting talent, and restocked that depth with quality players. Kudos to him for getting the job done there. One could make a case that he's been trying with the OL too, but the guys on the line he brought in haven't panned out like those at the skill positions have.

Now he's seen it on the defense, and I'd expect he'll take the same route to rebuild the depth there. On a 53 man roster, it's hard to replace all of the depth all at once. What was most pressing at the time was the depth on offense, so that's what he rebuilt first. Now the defense has shown a lack of depth, so with the offense rebuilt for the most part, I'd expect TT to spend most of his time on the defensive side of the ball. Truth be told, he hasn't spent nearly as much time there as he has on offense during his time here. That's going to change this year.

In addition to your point.

If you notice, all of TT's big FA spending has been on the defensive side of the ball, while the majority of his drafts have been offensive oriented. We'll see just how much he adheres to that philosophy this coming year.

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I think we're going to get a significant FA on the DL.