PDA

View Full Version : Marco Rivera is ready to rebound in Dallas

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Contract lens: Rivera, Ferguson under the microscope

09:11 PM CDT on Monday, July 3, 2006

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – A year ago, they made up two-thirds of the biggest spending spree Jerry Jones has bankrolled as owner of the Cowboys.

Jason Ferguson and Marco Rivera received signing bonuses of $8.125 million a day apart, not long after cornerback Anthony Henry received a $10 million signing bonus.

Ferguson was supposed to anchor the Cowboys' transition to the 3-4 defense at nose tackle. Rivera was supposed to solve the offensive line mysteries from right guard, bringing an attitude the unit lacked for the last few years.

But it never really happened.

Ferguson suffered an ankle injury in training camp and was an expensive backup for most of the season after La'Roi Glover excelled. Rivera started 14 games but was not the player the Cowboys hoped for, largely because of a herniated disk that required back surgery not long after he signed.

This year, they hope to write different tales, yet both are aware of the scrutiny.

LOUIS DELUCA / DMN

When Cowboys nose tackle Jason Ferguson (right) wasn't slowed by opposing linemen, he was limited by injuries. "I think people will be looking for me anyway to see what's going on because of the contract more than anything else," Ferguson said. "People know what I got, and they want to see what I'm going to do with it."

Ferguson started the final five games last season and recorded half his 42 tackles. But the Cowboys' run defense faltered when coach Bill Parcells chose to go with Ferguson and rookie Chris Canty over Glover and Greg Ellis. The Cowboys allowed three 100-yard rushers in the last five weeks after giving up just one in the first 11.

The Cowboys need Ferguson more this year than a year ago because Glover, a salary-cap casualty, is gone.

For a team that likes to rotate defensive linemen, the Cowboys are thin at nose tackle behind Ferguson. Parcells likes Thomas Johnson, an undrafted free agent a year ago, and drafted Montavious Stanley this year in the sixth round, but both are untested.

Ferguson said the workload in 2005 wasn't what he thought it would be, but that shouldn't be a problem in 2006.

"I didn't play like I wanted to play last year," Ferguson said. "I want to be more dominant. That's the main part of my game, to be more dominant in the middle. I had some games I lapsed in and some games I played well. I need to be more consistent."

When the Cowboys signed Rivera, they thought they had solved a problem they couldn't solve through the draft. They needed to upgrade at right guard, and Rivera had been to three straight Pro Bowls in Green Bay. They needed a leader on the line, and Rivera was it.

MICHAEL AINSWORTH / DMN

Cowboys lineman Marco Rivera was limited last season with a neck injury. The back surgery changed everything, and then he missed the final two games with a neck injury. In addition to the physical problems, Rivera said the season was a strain mentally because of the things he couldn't do.

Like Ferguson on the defensive line, the Cowboys need Rivera to return to form because of other questions on the offensive line. Flozell Adams is returning from reconstructive knee surgery, free-agent signee Kyle Kosier is replacing Larry Allen at left guard, there is a two-man battle at center between Al Johnson and Andre Gurode and a three-man battle at right tackle between Rob Petitti, Jason Fabini and Marc Colombo.

Much of the Cowboys' success this season will depend on the line.

"There's only one way to answer all the questions, and that's by how you play on Sundays or Monday nights," offensive line coach Tony Sparano said. "Until then, keep your mouth closed, head down and keep going forward."

That's how Rivera attacked the off-season. He took a month off to heal but has been a regular at Valley Ranch even when he didn't need to be. He believes the off-season conditioning program has restored the strength in his legs, which were neglected while he rehabilitated his back.

"I'm feel like my old self," Rivera said. "Last year was basically a freak thing that happened, and I got behind the eight ball and never regained my power. I recommitted myself and hopefully, I'll be a lot better player."

The Cowboys hope that's the case with Rivera and Ferguson.

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com

STARTS AND STOPS

Before last season, Jason Ferguson had started fewer than nine games only once since his rookie year, and that was 2001, when he missed the season because of a torn rotator cuff. Marco Rivera had started 99 consecutive games. A look at their consistency since becoming regular starters:

JASON FERGUSON

Year Team Games Starts
2005 Cowboys 12 5
2004 NY Jets 16 15
2003 NY Jets 16 16
2002 NY Jets 16 16
2001 NY Jets DNP
2000 NY Jets 15 11
1999* NY Jets 9 9
1998 NY Jets 16 16
*suspended four games

MARCO RIVERA

Year Team Games Starts
2005 Cowboys 14 14
2004 Packers 16 16
2003 Packers 16 16
2002 Packers 16 16
2001 Packers 16 16
2000 Packers 16 16
1999 Packers 16 16
1998 Packers 15 15

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Rivera was supposed to solve the offensive line mysteries from right guard, bringing an attitude the unit lacked for the last few years.

Rivera is 34 years old. Even if he "rebounds" he is going to be well passed top of game.

This was a bad deal for dallas.

The Leaper
07-04-2006, 11:44 PM
It was a horrible deal for Dallas. Rivera deserved the money for his service in Green Bay...and I'm even happier that it came out of Jerry Jones' pocket. I'm sure he's giving 100%...but he's also probably laughing a little himself that Dallas signed him to such a huge deal so late in his career.

RashanGary
07-05-2006, 12:32 AM
It was a horrible deal for Dallas. Rivera deserved the money for his service in Green Bay...and I'm even happier that it came out of Jerry Jones' pocket. I'm sure he's giving 100%...but he's also probably laughing a little himself that Dallas signed him to such a huge deal so late in his career.

I doubt he's laughing his way to the bank, but he's probably very relieved. He deserved a good payday, but I don't think a good payday that late in his career was the right thing to do for any team.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I want Marco Rivera have his efforts rewarded this season. He was a very fine Packer - gave his best for us, and came such a long ways to attain his status.

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Rivera will rebound; it would not at all surprise me if Marco excels for Dallas and visits the Pro Bowl one more time as an alternate.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Rivera will rebound; it would not at all surprise me if Marco excels for Dallas and visits the Pro Bowl one more time as an alternate.

Well, if he makes the pro bowl, he'll really have to earn it! After a down year, I don't think much is expected of him, he is not a name player anymore.

Noodle
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Here's one of the things that drives me crazy -- most on this forum would agree that Marco deserved some serious coin due to his past outstanding service for the Pack. But I'd also bet most on this forum would have screamed bloody murder if we had given him the big money contract he "deserved."

So instead of him retiring here, and the Pack having an opportunity to say thanks with a fat check, we have to rely on the kindness of strangers to do our guys right.

So what, you ask? So this, I say -- don't gripe at any player doing whatever he can whenever he can to get paid. Quit siding with the friggin' teams, including the Pack, in these disputes. Because, in the end, they, and we, are cold hearted bastards.

MJZiggy
07-08-2006, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't have minded Rivera getting a paycheck. I was all for Donald getting his. It's just when players start playing these stupid games to get that paycheck that I want to dig in my heels and say 'let 'em rot!'

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't have minded Rivera getting a paycheck. I was all for Donald getting his. It's just when players start playing these stupid games to get that paycheck that I want to dig in my heels and say 'let 'em rot!'

Yes . The press is kinda leaning on Al Harris getting more $ it seems to now.