PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports ALL defensive assistants fired except Moss!!!!

Pugger
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Holy cats guys!!!! :shock: Check this out:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-7-40/Near-total-defensive-housecleaning-in-Green-Bay.html

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Not really shocking--since a new DC will want to bring in his own assistants. This points to Moss getting the job, and being allowed to bring in his guys.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow. Its like a Soviet era purge. I wonder if their names are still on the Packers.com website. I am still rooting for Wade Phillips to be fired, but that is looking less and less like M3's plan.

PackerBlues
01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
jsonline: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37075984.html

LL2
Well, it needed to be done. My guess is they will give the DC to Moss, but I sure would like a DC with a proven track record get the job like Nolan.

pbmax
Packer fans have taken down the National Football Post. Its database is over its connection limit. The ESPN blurb is based on another NFP link.

Pugger
01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Of course Moss may still be in the running in St. Louis. We'll have to keep an eye out on Packers.com for confirmation.

pbmax
JSOnline is getting killed on this. Wilde confirmed it, NFP broke two stories about it and JSO is still saying its Sanders and only a report.

I wonder if Al Harris confirmed it for Wilde.

digitaldean
Also heard that Campen may be out as line coach (per PFT).

Surprised at the purge of so many coaches. It's a double edged sword for MM and TT.

packers04
OMG THERE IS A GOD, KURT SCHOTTENHEIMER IS GONE WOOHOOOOO
THE CURSE HAS BEEN LIFTED!

KYPack
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
JSOnline is getting killed on this. Wilde confirmed it, NFP broke two stories about it and JSO is still saying its Sanders and only a report.

What is the most official source on this whole deal?

The Packer site is mum, JSO slow.

Seems like the ususal sources are waiting to make a comprehensive announcement, but "info lag" is wierd.

prsnfoto
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
OMG THERE IS A GOD, KURT SCHOTTENHEIMER IS GONE WOOHOOOOO
THE CURSE HAS BEEN LIFTED!

I would have agreed with you in the past but it seems he is the only one who shouldn't get fired his unit was good despite injuries and not 7 players in front of them except Kampy. If they give the job to the guy who coached the worst unit on the team besides Stock it speaks volumes about the inbreeding and stupidity of MM and TT.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 10:54 AM

What is the most official source on this whole deal?

The Packer site is mum, JSO slow.

Seems like the ususal sources are waiting to make a comprehensive announcement, but "info lag" is wierd.
Most information (and first so far) is Brandt and the National Football Post. They broke Sanders firing and then today the rest of the D staff being let go.

Wilde has confirmed Sanders as gone. But that's it as far as I know.

prsnfoto
01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Another possible candidate would be Dallas head coach Wade Phillips, a close friend of general manager Ted Thompson’s, if Phillips is fired.

I hope this the JS's attempt at humor.

Partial
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Bob McGinn has a chat starting in 5 minutes. I'm sure we'll get some information out of that.

red
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
nice

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't buy that Moss wouldn't be any good at the DC position. Sanders was in charge. A position coach can only do so much. If Moss gets the position, I'm going to give him a chance. I don't know what goes on in the locker room, but it could be that both McCarthy and the players believe Moss is the answer. I don't have a problem with Sanders scheme so much. It's his inability to adapt his scheme when it was obvious that the DL wasn't going to provide the support that is needed in his scheme. I also think Sanders is a good guy, but not necessarily a good leader. I'm guessing Moss has different ideas for our scheme. He's not married to the 4-3, non-attacking, get pressure from the front four scheme that Sanders employed. Moss might have been a token interview for St. Louis, but the fact that he was the token interview shows to me that he has some buzz around the league as an up and coming coaching candidate.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't buy that Moss wouldn't be any good at the DC position. Sanders was in charge. A position coach can only do so much. If Moss gets the position, I'm going to give him a chance. I don't know what goes on in the locker room, but it could be that both McCarthy and the players believe Moss is the answer. I don't have a problem with Sanders scheme so much. It's his inability to adapt his scheme when it was obvious that the DL wasn't going to provide the support that is needed in his scheme. I also think Sanders is a good guy, but not necessarily a good leader. I'm guessing Moss has different ideas for our scheme. He's not married to the 4-3, non-attacking, get pressure from the front four scheme that Sanders employed. Moss might have been a token interview for St. Louis, but the fact that he was the token interview shows to me that he has some buzz around the league as an up and coming coaching candidate.
Helping your point is that right out of the gate, any new D Coord will have an entirely new staff.

rbaloha1
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Good move by TT.

IMO its best to get a DC with previous experience as DC (recall Sanders) and someone willing to keep the 4-3 with more blitzing.

MadtownPacker
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
This is good.

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't want to be a spoilsport, but shouldn't the new DC decide which assistants to fire? Since Sanders is gone, the writing is on the wall for most of them, but some of them might not be total incompetents, right?

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Letting all the assts go now might mean you have someone in mind and know they want to start fresh. That points to Moss.

But if your candidate was available (Nolan or Williams) are suddenly available, like the Asst Head Coach dude in Miami, the Packer might have already talked to someone other than Moss, esp. after the games this weekend.

Only catch is that people usually find out about the interviews in short order, esp. if you need permission (which they would in the Miami guy's case).

Partial
Anybody else surprised the DBacks didn't protest against Lionel Washington? Seems like EVERYONE likes this guy. Can't believe they let him go.

HarveyWallbangers
I don't want to be a spoilsport, but shouldn't the new DC decide which assistants to fire? Since Sanders is gone, the writing is on the wall for most of them, but some of them might not be total incompetents, right?

When McCarthy took over, weren't all of the coaches were fired? He did his interviews, and some of the coaches were brought back after those interviews.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Good move by TT.

IMO its best to get a DC with previous experience as DC (recall Sanders) and someone willing to keep the 4-3 with more blitzing.

Recall when Woodson blitzed against N.O.? Truth is, the Packers have poor blitzing corners, safeties and linebackers, and their d-line cannot generate pressure on it's own. It's redundant to mention it, but Pressure only works when you have the guys who can actually generate pressure, without compromising the entire scheme. Packers need better players - Moss - or any other DC - can only do so much with crapola.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes, but there are alternative possibilities in addition to this being an overreaction. McCarthy might be doing this FOR the next coordinator, esp. if its Moss, so they do not have to fire people they served alongside.

prsnfoto
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I have no problem letting him go but lets remember who gives him the players to run the scheme he had a couple of key injuries with no suitable backups and two first round busts on his line-up card it will be hard for anyone to be successful under those conditions. And I guess now that I think about it maybe Moss isn't to blame for the LB's sucking he has very little to work with.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37092484.html

The only defensive coaches who were retained was assistant head coach / linebackers Winston Moss and quality control assistant Joe Whitt Jr.

McCarthy also fired strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson.

Rock is out also.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM

JSO is speculating Nolan according to Bedard's source.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
The only defensive coaches who were retained was assistant head coach / linebackers Winston Moss and quality control assistant Joe Whitt Jr.

Rock is out also.
Harv, where did you get this one?

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I have no problem letting him go but lets remember who gives him the players to run the scheme he had a couple of key injuries with no suitable backups and two first round busts on his line-up card it will be hard for anyone to be successful under those conditions. And I guess now that I think about it maybe Moss isn't to blame for the LB's sucking he has very little to work with.

I agree that it's not all on Sanders, but I've had a bad feeling about his leadership style. You want your defense to be aggressive and fierce. The DC doesn't have to be an emotional wreck, but he needs to instill that in his players. He was more of a tactician than motivator. I want both. Let's be fair, injuries really affected this defense. Sanders was dealt a bad hand by the injuries. Moss was dealt a bad hand with his LBs being nicked up or out much of the year. When the players stayed healthy last year, they played well. Same could be said for Sanders and his group, but a good DC adjusts better than he did. A position coach can't really adjust the scheme to deal with these injuries.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Rock is out also.

There go the free weights again. Perhaps I could be so humble as to recommend the Packers switch to the the Blowflex motivator 2 home gym - three easy 20 minute workouts per week are all they need to get in the best shape of their lives.

http://buyfitnessonline.com/osc/images/Bowflex_Motivator_2___.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Harv, where did you get this one?

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Rock is out also.
And here I came to believe that free weights solved everything. :lol:

That was an expensive three years, two remodels, two sets of equipment and now two coaches.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say this source is credible.

from Packers.com, press release by team

Six Assistant Coaches Released

posted 01/05/2009

The Green Bay Packers have released six assistant coaches, Head Coach Mike McCarthy announced Monday morning. Those released are Defensive Coordinator Bob Sanders, Defensive Ends Coach Carl Hairston, Defensive Tackles Coach Robert Nunn, Secondary Coach Kurt Schottenheimer, Defensive Nickel Package/Cornerbacks Coach Lionel Washington and Strength & Conditioning Coordinator Rock Gullickson.

"These are difficult decisions," McCarthy said. "I hold each of these men in high regard on a personal level, and I want to thank them for their service to the Green Bay Packers."

Pugger
01-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Well guys, it's now official.

http://www.packers.com/home/

Every D assistant but Moss. Now we wait to see if Moss gets it or if MM goes elsewhere...

cpk1994
01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm suprised the board hasn't exploded in celebration of Schottenheimer's firing.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Good move by TT.

Recall when Woodson blitzed against N.O.? Truth is, the Packers have poor blitzing corners, safeties and linebackers, and their d-line cannot generate pressure on it's own. It's redundant to mention it, but Pressure only works when you have the guys who can actually generate pressure, without compromising the entire scheme. Packers need better players - Moss - or any other DC - can only do so much with crapola.
True, but you can't wait until you find LeRoy Butler or Polomalu to blitz either. The scheme has to free someone up. And too often the single CB or single LB blitzes we saw were easy to pick up. They did run that interior LB blitz with Hawk and Chillar with a twist that seemed to find a free path to the QB, but that was not often the case with other attempts.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
And too often the single CB or single LB blitzes we saw were easy to pick up.

Bingo. I don't think it takes a ton of talent to blitz. If the offense knows the blitz is coming and picks it up, it often doesn't matter who is blitzing. There has to be an element of surprise. We saw a blitzer get free reign on the QB, but not very often.

gbgary
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM

There go the free weights again. Perhaps I could be so humble as to recommend the Packers switch to the the Blowflex motivator 2 home gym - three easy 20 minute workouts per week are all they need to get in the best shape of their lives.

http://buyfitnessonline.com/osc/images/Bowflex_Motivator_2___.jpg

more genius thinking!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif