PDA

View Full Version : Rock Gullickson fired too.

Patler
01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Per Packers.com Gullickson was let go too.
Two seasons he was hailed as a savior. One bad seasons of injuries and he is gone.

Fritz
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, that seemed weird to me. And they spent all that money on free weights and such.

I wonder if he had to go, maybe cuz he was so close to Sanders and all those that were fired?

I dunno. It seems a little like firing the locker room towel boy or something. What for?

retailguy
01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Prepare Three Envelopes

A fellow had just been hired as the new CEO of a large high tech corporation. The CEO who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. "Open these if you run up against a problem you don't think you can solve," he said.

Well, things went along pretty smoothly, but six months later, sales took a downturn and he was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame your predecessor."

The new CEO called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the previous CEO. Satisfied with his comments, the press -- and Wall Street - responded positively, sales began to pick up and the problem was soon behind him.

About a year later, the company was again experiencing a slight dip in sales, combined with serious product problems. Having learned from his previous experience, the CEO quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Reorganize." This he did, and the company quickly rebounded.

After several consecutive profitable quarters, the company once again fell on difficult times. The CEO went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope.

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes."

McCarthy just opened envelope #2....

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I dunno. It seems a little like firing the locker room towel boy or something. What for?

The towel boy was loyal to Favre. He was handing out scratchy towels on purpose. There was a lot of grumbling from players. He had to go.

Patler
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought it was very strange.
For two seasons he was credited as the reason the Packers were so low in games-lost injuries. The rash of hamstring injuries this year, all of which were very slow to heal, must have done him in.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
It's probably time to bring in Marv Marinovich.

http://www.branchwest.com/marv_marinovich.htm

Freak Out
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM

:lol:

I've kicked sand in that guys face.

retailguy
01-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Yeah, but you Alaskans are CRAZY. I think it's all the illegal Vodka that gets brought in from Russia.

Freak Out
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Yeah, but you Alaskans are CRAZY. I think it's all the illegal Vodka that gets brought in from Russia.

That and all the weed grown in Palin's town......sorry...sorry...no politics in this thread.

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
McCarthy was a big fan of the free weight system and that was a part of the reason he hired Rock if I remember correctly.

This off season Rock brought in a couple free weight machines. One was a chest machine and the other a squat machine. He was quoted in the paper talking about how much weight some of his guys were putting up and sounded pretty proud of it.

Early in the season Hawk tore a pectoral muscle and Jenkins shredded his. Was this due to Rock's pectoral machine not training support muscles the way the free weights used to?

Grant and Bigby had severe hamstring tears when we hardly experienced any of that type of injury in the past. New squat machine not working surrounding muscles?

New machines, then injuries at all time high in areas that were unusual to this team but tied to the new equipment, then Rock gets fired. Maybe it was all luck and the new equipment had nothing to do with it or maybe McCarthy made the right call and will bring someone in who doesn't want to go away from the free weight system that worked so well. I might have given Rock another chance unless he copped an attitude and refused to go back to the free weights. I also might have fired him if he acted like there was no preventative measures in the weight room. Some may be luck, but if your wegith training guru deosn't have a plan for how to limit injuries, then maybe you have the wrong weight guy.

Guiness
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
McCarthy just opened envelope #2....

Seems about right.

I don't get this one either. He must've made a mistake somewhere? I think his program was solid (it was raved about).

Maybe some of the players didn't follow the offseason program (there were reports Harell didn't) and he took the blame for that? Or like Fritz said, maybe he was Sander's boy, as opposed to MM's, so he went with him.

Patler
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Story from March about acceptance and success of Gullickson's methods:

.http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2008/03/28/2/

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
That success was before he brought in the new machines that happen to work the same muscle groups that players injured this year and hadn't really injured in the past. It would seem logical to give him a chance to go back, but maybe he resisted and MM fired him. Maybe MM connected some dots taht shouldn't be connected, but I spotted the unusual pattern months ago. I thought the new machines and the new injuries were oddly connected. If that was part of MM's decision, I saw it too and depending on the additional information MM has, I very easily could have made the same call.

gbgary
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.branchwest.com/images/ppl/workout2a.jpg

omg!! :lol:

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Rock brings new pec machine. Packers have unusual pec injuries shortly after.
Rock brings in new leg machine. Packers have leg muscle injuries that they hadn't experienced shortly after.

MM fires rock. I can see what he was thinking if that is what he was thinking.

gbgary
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I can see what he was thinking if that is what he was thinking.

i was thinking he was thinking that too.

sharpe1027
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I can see what he was thinking if that is what he was thinking.

i was thinking he was thinking that too.

I was thinking that my thinking that your thinking that he was thinking that too made sense meant that other people are also thinking what you were thinking about him thinking that.

But seriously, I agree with the logic.

Bossman641
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
McCarthy was a big fan of the free weight system and that was a part of the reason he hired Rock if I remember correctly.

This off season Rock brought in a couple free weight machines. One was a chest machine and the other a squat machine. He was quoted in the paper talking about how much weight some of his guys were putting up and sounded pretty proud of it.

Early in the season Hawk tore a pectoral muscle and Jenkins shredded his. Was this due to Rock's pectoral machine not training support muscles the way the free weights used to?
I'm confused here. Did Rock bring in free weights this offseason? Or go away from them?

run pMc
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking that it might have more to do with the conditioning of the team...the D gave up a lot of 4Q points. Maybe M3 didn't like seeing the team so gassed.
The theory about the new machines causing injuries is interesting. I think it's more likely the training programs Rock was developing were causing the injuries and not the machines.

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM

I'm confused here. Did Rock bring in free weights this offseason? Or go away from them?

Ooops. Rock brought in free weights when he came here three years ago. This off season he brought in a couple of machines. Shortly after bringing in the machines, we experienced injuries iwth the muscle groups that coincided with the machines.

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Rock comes to GB, brings free weights/functional exercise
Packers experience very few injuries
Rock brings in machines
Packers experience unusual injuries in the area of Rocks new machines
Packers struggle during season with bad health
Rock fired

That's how I saw it unfold.

Bossman641
01-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Ooops. Rock brought in free weights when he came here three years ago. This off season he brought in a couple of machines. Shortly after bringing in the machines, we experienced injuries iwth the muscle groups that coincided with the machines.

OK that's what I throught it was. Figured you just mistyped.

Fritz
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Rock comes to GB, brings free weights/functional exercise
Packers experience very few injuries
Rock brings in machines
Packers experience unusual injuries in the area of Rocks new machines
Packers struggle during season with bad health
Rock fired

That's how I saw it unfold.

I think the machines should have been fired.

Kiwon
01-05-2009, 06:12 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/470860002_514a76317b.jpg

Guiness
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I remember seeing he had brought in some machines, and not being terribly happy about it.

So, some injuries occured, which may have had something to do with the machines. If the machines, and/or RG's implementation of them were to blame, I don't understand why they weren't just tossed?

RG had shown in the past he could run a successful program, why didn't MM just tell him to go back to what worked? This isn't like an OC or DC, where you have to evolve and change because other teams are studying your tape.

I would think knowing the player's personalities, and how to motivate them in the gym is important. If he made a mistake bringing in the machines, correct the mistake. That's got to be better than starting over with a new strength guy who doesn't know the players and their habits.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.branchwest.com/images/ppl/workout2a.jpg

omg!! :lol:

YOU HAD BETTER PRAY TO THE GOD OF SKINNY PUNKS THAT I DON'T COME OVER THERE AND SHOVE AN OAR UP YOU ASS!!!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/callawaygirl7182/tommyboy.jpg

Noodle
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm thinking that it might have more to do with the conditioning of the team...the D gave up a lot of 4Q points. Maybe M3 didn't like seeing the team so gassed.

We were gassed because the DL cupboard was bare. No rotation means no fresh legs. The gas theory may be correct, but the fault there is with TT, not the Rock.

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM

We were gassed because the DL cupboard was bare. No rotation means no fresh legs. The gas theory may be correct, but the fault there is with TT, not the Rock.

Unless the Rock and the new machines he brought in was a direct result in CJ's injury or KGB not being able to come back from an injury or JH not being able to avoid injury. The DL cupboard doesn't seem so bare if those guys are productive. Last year we bitched about there being too many in that cupboard, no need to draft a DT in the first when there are already plenty of DL. Then we trade one of them, and all of a sudden the cupboard is bare? There has to be more to it... TT didn't exactly empty the cupboard last offseason. All he did was unload one lazy fat ass who hasn't done a damn thing himself all season long, and got a second round draft pick in return. There has to be more to it than that.