PDA

View Full Version : What Saved Joe Whitt from the purge?

Patler
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
What do you think saved Joe Whitt's job with the Packers? The entire defensive staff was let go except the guy called "Assistant Head Coach" and the very low man on the totem pole, the "Defensive Quality Control' guy, 30 year old Joe Whitt, who was just hired less than a year ago.

What saved him???

Fritz
01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Because he meant so little? Because Winston Moss wanted him kept, maybe?

Signs seem to be pointing to W. Moss. However, you could argue that maybe MM kept Moss so he'd look a little more attractive as a HC candidate to a potential employer.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
They probably just forgot to fire him, or tell him he was fired, or stop paying him, kind of like that guy Milton Waddams in Office Space.

http://www.officefinder.com/images/office_space_milton.jpg

I was told if I was late again, I would be summarily dismissed...

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
JSO speculated that all of the coaches with ties to the old scheme were let go.

Fritz
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
By golly Cleft, you are right, methinks.

MM is probably reading the paper and going "Joe Whitt? Defensive what? I thought he was the towel boy!"

Patler
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
JSO speculated that all of the coaches with ties to the old scheme were let go.

Nunn and Sanders came with Bates and seem to be closely associated with his system. But Hairston has coached under several different coaches and seemingly has had success with DEs. I suspect they have expected him to do more with the recent draft picks than he has. Lionell Washington has been in every GB scheme since Ray Rhodes was the head coach, he was hired in 1999. But he really has not progressed much, and has coached no where but the DBs in Green Bay. It was probably time for some new blood there. Schottenheimer lasted longer this time in GB than he has anywhere for quite a while.

If I had to pick one to keep, it would have been Hairston.

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Why would you fire the quality control guy? Who's against quality? You can never have enough quality control guys. You could argue that the failures this season were because we didn't have enough defensive quality control people. I think we should have at least a dozen defensive quality control people....

Patler
01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Why would you fire the quality control guy? Who's against quality? You can never have enough quality control guys. You could argue that the failures this season were because we didn't have enough defensive quality control people. I think we should have at least a dozen defensive quality control people....

But quality was lacking, and presumably he controlled quality. He should have been the first to go! :)

pbmax
01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
They probably just forgot to fire him, or tell him he was fired, or stop paying him, kind of like that guy Milton Waddams in Office Space.

McCarthy is still looking for the good red stapler. That guy isn't going anywhere until it turns up.

retailguy
01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
McCarthy is still looking for the good red stapler. That guy isn't going anywhere until it turns up.

Ummm. Don't you mean the good GREEN stapler? Or maybe, the good YELLOW stapler?

Red? :? You must be kidding. :wink:

retailguy
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess I should have watched the movie? I haven't seen the movie, or the TV show. :shock:

TennesseePackerBacker
01-05-2009, 05:28 PM

:lol: I wonder how long it's been since he's gotten a paycheck.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I guess I should have watched the movie? I haven't seen the movie, or the TV show. :shock:
It was red in the movie I believe, but Green or Gold would as valuable, obviously, as long as its a Swingline (tm).

I would definitely recommend the movie. Wear some flair!

Fritz
01-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I still want KY to coach special teams.

BallHawk
01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I guess now we know.

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I still want KY to coach special teams.

I'm for it as well

Honestly of the staff MM assembled the only guy I'd truly shake my head at would be the release of Tom Clements.

Rest can go if he wants them to and I would not wince one bit.......well I did like Bennett as a player though

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Clements has done a nice job with Rodgers. I really like Philbin. I have a soft spot for Edgar. Robinson is an exceptional WRs coach.

Patler
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Clements has done a nice job with Rodgers. I really like Philbin. I have a soft spot for Edgar. Robinson is an exceptional WRs coach.

I agree on all of those, but I don't just have a soft spot for Edgar Bennett, I think he is a very good coach. I was extremely impressed with the job he did in 2005. With all the injuries it seemed there was a new back being counted on to play almost every week. He always got them ready. There were no blatant screw ups by any of them. He seems to be getting through to the current group as well. Hall responded to the change from linebacker very quickly. Jackson has improved. Even Wynn seems to have gotten "with the program". I think Bennett is a fine coach.

BobDobbs
01-06-2009, 03:18 AM
And if anyone knows how to coach players on taking care of the football it is Edgar.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm good with the offensive coaching staff, though I wouldn't cry if Campen got canned.

KYPack
01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
By golly Cleft, you are right, methinks.

MM is probably reading the paper and going "Joe Whitt? Defensive what? I thought he was the towel boy!"

Pretty close.

On NFL staffs, the "Defensive Quality Control coach" is the formal title.

The players and coaches call 'em "piss boy".

They do all the gofer and run around, low end jobs.

Gruden was piss boy for Holmgren's early staff.

He eventually moved up to "pissed man".