PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean Campen is safe?

Patler
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
With the bulk firing today, I have to believe the announcements about departures are done. I can't believe more firings would come later. Are they doomed to another slow start in O-line play in 2009 with Campen still the guy?

AV David
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe not. I know MM said they would do the reviews of the D coaches all at one time and the O coaches at another time. I don't know which group went first. They could be reviewing the O coaches now. If they are done with the "O", then Campen appears safe.

Sparkey
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
With the bulk firing today, I have to believe the announcements about departures are done. I can't believe more firings would come later. Are they doomed to another slow start in O-line play in 2009 with Campen still the guy?

MM says he does not like his lineman to practice cut blocks in practice. If so, stands to reason that the o-line would always start out slowly. Until a few games in and they have had a chance to cut-block in live action.

Another reason to hate the ZBS and resulting cut blocking. I mean, if you can't practice it, it is hard to expect perfection in the scheme.

Bossman641
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Didn't MM say the other day that they were going to take a serious look at the run scheme in the offseason? I don't know what exactly that means, but it sounded like it could be a shift in the zone scheme - or at least more blending.

I'd have to say Philbin isn't safe yet. That line has more talent than he is getting out of it IMO.

rbaloha1
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
That line has more talent than he is getting out of it IMO.

Agreed. As Larry McCarren states identify their positions in order to promote continuity.

Fritz
01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I've never been a huge fan of switching guys around. I know, you want your most talented guys out there, but if they're playing out of position you just weakened two spots.

Decide who plays what position, and keep them there.

I'm not a big Campen fan but I don't know that much about line play, either.

DonHutson
01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't know. I kind of feel like the Packers hand was forced when the story on Sanders leaked on NFLBloggingInMyUnderpants.com or whatever the hell it was. When it broke into the "legitimate" media - they had a choice to make. Confirm the firings or let Sanders and the rest twist in the wind. They did the right thing and confirmed it.

No leak about Campen means no immediate pressure to alert the media. Or he's staying. I hope it's the former.

Joemailman
01-05-2009, 07:29 PM

A healthy Grant in September might make the OL look a little better early. I also thing the Pack will will be looking for more of a set lineup on the OL next year.

red
01-05-2009, 07:39 PM

MM says he does not like his lineman to practice cut blocks in practice. If so, stands to reason that the o-line would always start out slowly. Until a few games in and they have had a chance to cut-block in live action.

Another reason to hate the ZBS and resulting cut blocking. I mean, if you can't practice it, it is hard to expect perfection in the scheme.

to a good reson not to even use it. how the hell are they suppose to run it right if they can't practise it?

do we even do much cut blocking? i know its a big part of the system, but i didn't notice much of it this year

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I wonder how much we actually cut block too? I don't notice a lot of it.

Bossman641
01-06-2009, 12:13 AM
McCarthy began meeting with his offensive coaches Monday afternoon and was to be back at it again today. A source close to the situation said a change could be made in the offensive line.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37127204.html

BobDobbs
01-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Bom Bom BOM
And the tension builds.....

AV David
01-06-2009, 07:37 AM
From JSO

"...McCarthy began meeting with his offensive coaches Monday afternoon and was to be back at it again today. A source close to the situation said a change could be made in the offensive line."

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:23 AM
If I were James Campen I'd be pulling out my rolodex and seeing if I still had Jags's number...

MJZiggy
01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Why? If Jags happens to make any side trips to New Jersey anytime soon, he could wind up out of a job too.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Because if Jags is being considered to bring back a certain #4 (they did work together in GB), then that would increase his odds of being the next Jest coach, which would give Campen an employment opportunity in Joisey.