Think he'll wear a tie?

Who will know underneath the parka?

Chevelle2
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Think he'll wear a tie?

That'd be badass.

RashanGary
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I think they're just throwing darts right now. I'd be suprised if we made that dramatic of a change.

A couple years ago, when we played Washington, McCarthy had extremely positive things to say about Greg Williams. Williams plays a 4-3. Kampman is our best front 7 player BY FAR and will only fit in a 4-3. My initial hunch is Greg Williams based on what I remember MM saying about him and based on him being a 4-3 coach. I think PFT is just throwing a glorified guess out there as if it's journalism.

Kyle.McCarroll
01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I hope not.

Adding Nolan would be awful.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Its just rumors, but this is the kind of thing that usually presages a head coach or coordinator hire. Rounding up assistants. The good news is that he will get a head start on everyone else.

Of course, we will have recreated the 2005 San Francisco 49ers coaching staff to a large degree. I hope T2 makes all the difference.

Chevelle2
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I hope not.

I would take 10 lesbian pandas over Sanders, so Nolan is a huge upgrade.

packinpatland
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
'lesbian pandas'? :shock: 10 of them? :shock:

pbmax
01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Their 40 times are awful. But they are big and immovable. And lovable. Just like Gilbert Brown.

retailguy
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Their 40 times are awful. But they are big and immovable. And lovable. Just like Gilbert Brown.

The "lesbian panda" burger? :wink:

Guiness
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Don't know much about Nolan...one reader comment at pft was notable though. It said that when he was in Washington, Snyder left a cup of vanilla on his desk to let him know what he thought of him.

Apparently he likes to run the 'big nickel' package - a 4-2-5 in an effort to avoid giving up the big play.

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
on board with Nolan :!:

MJZiggy
01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
B, it's just occurred to me that if MM hires Mike Nolan, and Nolan's kind of a hottie, the Bikini Girls may want to impress him...

Brando19
01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
B, it's just occurred to me that if MM hires Mike Nolan, and Nolan's kind of a hottie, the Bikini Girls may want to impress him...

I believe that's the smartest thing I've ever heard in my life......HIRE NOLAN!

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Apparently he likes to run the 'big nickel' package - a 4-2-5 in an effort to avoid giving up the big play.

That's pretty scary, to be honest. Specifically, I'm concerned about claims that Nolan's defensive calls tend to be both "timid" and "soft."

I thought we wanted a dynamic, aggressive defense. Why do we want Nolan?

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Have you noticed all of these good things started happening after the Bikini girls appeared to bless our forum :lol:

ND72
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Anyone want ot put money on the fact he ends up hiring someone that is on NON of the "lists" of people? I can still remember us going through the Head Coaching position, and we all moved McCarthy off the board :lol: And I could totally see him hiring some DC guy that is not a known commodity.

ND72
01-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Have you noticed all of these good things started happening after the Bikini girls appeared to bless our forum :lol:

I've started paying more attention to your posts...

Brando19
01-05-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm sorry....what? All i hear is blah blah blah....maybe you should find a way to type on your avatar's chests.... :lol:

SkinBasket
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope not.

I would fuck a lesbian panda before I would touch Sanders or Nolan, so I think the panda would be an upgrade.

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I hope not.

I would fuck a lesbian panda before I would touch Sanders or Nolan, so I think the panda would be an upgrade.

PANDA LOVER :!:

SkinBasket
01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
I hope not.

it's more the lesbian than the panda, but a carpet muncher's a carpet muncher regardless of the species. All they all need is a little hot beef injection to set them straight.

Charles Woodson
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
No please, i think its in our best interest to stay with the 4-3

greg williams, and Sean McDermott get my vote

The Leaper
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Anyone want ot put money on the fact he ends up hiring someone that is on NON of the "lists" of people? I can still remember us going through the Head Coaching position, and we all moved McCarthy off the board :lol: And I could totally see him hiring some DC guy that is not a known commodity.

That was Thompson's choice...not McCarthy's...so it speaks more to Thompson's selection process than it does McCarthy.

ND72
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah I know that....it was just a throw it out there thing.

Brando19
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I hope not.

it's more the lesbian than the panda, but a carpet muncher's a carpet muncher regardless of the species. All they all need is a little hot beef injection to set them straight.

What if it's a lesbian fish, or worse, Rosie O'Donnell?

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Can someone explain to me what's good about Nolan other than:
1) He's not Bob Sanders
2) He's a snappy dresser.

I'm really drawing a blank here. Anyway, in my inexpert opinion both Gregg Williams and Sean McDermott seem like vastly, vastly superior choices.

KYPack
01-05-2009, 09:43 PM
The big criticsm of Nolan in SF was his inflexiblity and tendency to repeat coverages, schemes, etc.

He called his version of the Big Nickle - "the Big Sub".

It was a 4-2-5 ( or also a 3-3-5 with a tweener LB roving around between line and LB). The big beef by the fans was you could tell exactly what the D was gonna do by their pre-snap technique. He also doesn't like to blitz a lot. He's a scheme/cover guy.

When he was canned in SF, there were a bunch of Whiner fans on PFT posting "No More Big Sub" like crazy.

I had to google around to figure out what that meant.

I like the guy. He knows 4-3 and 3-4 with other schemes to augment your talent. Sanders seemed stuck in one place, let's try a new guy and see if he can coach up some stops.

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Can someone explain to me what's good about Nolan other than:
1) He's not Bob Sanders
2) He's a snappy dresser.

I'm really drawing a blank here. Anyway, in my inexpert opinion both Gregg Williams and Sean McDermott seem like vastly, vastly superior choices.

he's had success with NY and Baltimore; I like Williams as well

I'd be fine with McDermott but honestly besides all the write ups who knows what we are getting

digitaldean
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd rather have McDermott. Anybody who can bring a Jim Johnson type of defense here gets my vote.

We don't have to go to the other side of the pendulum and blitz virtually every down. But we do need a more aggressive D, not this bend, but not break crap.

BallHawk
01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Why is everybody so quick to assume that Nolan means 3-4? There's nothing concrete to suggest that.

I'm all for Nolan.

denverYooper
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Nolan's been around for a while and has coached some good D's.

Did he make the defensive calls in San Fran, or did Singletary?

BF4MVP
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I'd love it if this happened..

Read about some candidates in a Press Gazette article..Sean McDermott intrigues me too, because I kind of like the idea of blitzing a lot..Anything to help get a pass rush..

But Nolan has coached some good defenses..I'd be all for it..

KYPack
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Greg Manusky was SF's DC. Nolan had his hand in the defense and ignored the O, leaving that to Martz. Singletary was the LB coach and had little input on the D. That was good, he got a job out of it.

Lot's of people point to Nolan's firing and the junking of the Big Eagle (Big Sub) as to the defensive turnaround of that team.

SF is a sordid chapter in Nolan's coaching resume.

Partial
01-05-2009, 11:15 PM
WSSP is speculating that they will not go 3-4 because MM and TT aren't being afforded the time to miss the playoffs next year.

pbmax
01-05-2009, 11:20 PM

Greg Manusky was SF's DC. Nolan had his hand in the defense and ignored the O, leaving that to Martz. Singletary was the LB coach and had little input on the D. That was good, he got a job out of it.

Lot's of people point to Nolan's firing and the junking of the Big Eagle (Big Sub) as to the defensive turnaround of that team.

You're killing me KY :lol:

And Partial, WSSP is not being creative enough. Short of a deep playoff run (say, 14-4!), the best way to keep the post for more years is the need to give the new D scheme more time.

All in all, I hope he would bring in people to interview. You can't just hire the people you know. Hopefully, Nolan is calling on assistants as a way to prepare for an interview.

Bossman641
01-05-2009, 11:28 PM

And Partial, WSSP is not being creative enough. Short of a deep playoff run (say, 14-4!), the best way to keep the post for more years is the need to give the new D scheme more time.

All in all, I hope he would bring in people to interview. You can't just hire the people you know. Hopefully, Nolan is calling on assistants as a way to prepare for an interview.

Bingo!

That's what has killed me about MM. He has been far too willing to hire guys he knows and has worked with before. To me, hiring Nolan would be the same thing. I dunno if MM does it because he feels like he owes the guys, because he knows they won't challenge him, or if he just thinks they really are good coaches. But it might not be the worst thing in the world to bring in a completely new guy from the outside who MM hasn't worked with before, at the very least for an interview.

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM

DITTO DITTO

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
WSSP is speculating that they will not go 3-4 because MM and TT aren't being afforded the time to miss the playoffs next year.

I tend to agree with this thinking. I don't think MM and TT have the time to implement a whole new defense, which would require drafting a whole new type of player and junking some of your better ones here that wouldn't fit.

I don't think MM and TT have that kind of time. I have no basis for this, but it's my sense that they get two more years, and if they aren't going 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, something like that, and getting past the first round of the playoffs, they'll be gone after two more seasons.

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/05/rumors-fly-of-nolan-to-packers/

PLEEEEEASEEEE!!!

PLEEEEEASEEEE NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Don't want Nolan. Doesn't run a scheme that fits our personnel. I want a DC that can turn the talent we already have on our roster into a dominant defense. Not a guy who's gonna want different talent. We have talented players already, so starting over is not acceptable IMO.

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Why is everybody so quick to assume that Nolan means 3-4? There's nothing concrete to suggest that.

I'm all for Nolan.

In Baltimore and San Fransisco he often went with a 3-4 look, occasionally going 4-3 in certain situations. That's what he does. It's pretty much a given that bringing in Nolan would amount to switching primarily to a 3-4.