PDA

View Full Version : NFP - Rumor - Winston Moss to be new DC

retailguy
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/notes-from-lombardi-2/

Notes From Lombardi

By Michael Lombardi:

FIVE THINGS I HEAR….

1. I hear the Cowboys are not sweating the notion of losing Jason Garrett to another team as a head coach. They are actually hoping this might happen.

2. I hear the Broncos were not enamored or impressed with Steve Spagnuolo and he does not seem to be the frontrunner. However, they were very impressed with Josh McDaniels of the Patriots, and he might be the favorite now. The Broncos might be on a fast track to hire a coach this week. Moving up the Raheem Morris interview means they might want to move quickly.

3. I hear — and keep hearing — it is Eric Mangini’s job in Cleveland, and he is already assembling a staff.

4. I hear Winston Moss, the Packers’ linebackers coach, might be the team’s new defensive coordinator.

5. I hear there are several teams interested in Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, and now that he’s out of the playoffs, his interview process can speed along. I hear the Rams and the Lions are major players interested in his services and I would not be surprised if he got one of those jobs.

FIVE THINGS I KNOW….

1. That Jim Harbaugh of Stanford University will be a great head coach, and the Jets’,Rams’ and Lions’ interest in him is not surprising at all.

2. The Broncos have a better young offensive coach on their staff in Jeremy Bates than the Cowboys have in offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. The NFL is all about perception, and very few watch tape to learn the real story. What did Garrett do this year to deserve an interview?

3. The Chargers are going to be better off without LT in their game against the Steelers. To beat the Steelers, you must have quickness and explosive movement, and right now, based on his injury, LT has neither.

4. The Eagles will have to bring Donovan McNabb back, and this is not even up for discussion. They have too many other needs, especially at tackle, to make a move at quarterback.

5. No one will ever get control of the Raiders at any point in the next 3 to 5 years. The Raiders’ future does not include the family giving away controlling interest. I do know the Raiders would like to sell another 10 percent of the team, but not their controlling interest. I have no idea who would be interested in buying 10 percent with no say and no control.

retailguy
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I said this about a week ago, and I still believe it.

Rumors be damned..... :lol:

Joemailman
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
NFP broke the story that Sanders was fired, so they may have some good sources. I'd be okay with Moss.

BF4MVP
01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Our linebackers suck...What has Moss done to deserve to be DC???

KYPack
01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Wondering when the media focus shines on NFP.

TT and Murphy have got to be PISSED that Brandt is breaking all these stories. And hitting every one of them right on the mark.

This story will percolate over the next few weeks.

If TT finds the mole(s), will they be fired?

Lurker64
01-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, it's possible Thompson is circulating inaccurate stories to certain members in his staff to see who the moles are or aren't. So I'll wait until a second source confirms it. I'd be very surprised if the Packers get a DC without interviewing at least 2 people.

Joemailman
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Barnett had a season-ending injury, and I don't think Hawk was ever healthy. Prior to this year, Barnett's play had improved markedly under Moss, and Hawk seemed on the verge of being an outstanding player. I think the major decline on the DL had a lot to do with the decreased effectiveness of the LB's.

mission
01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
If Whitt is being retained/promoted for secondary coach then I dont see how this rumor could be anything but truth. You don't hire a DC and force a position coach on him ... do you?!

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM
If Whitt is being retained/promoted for secondary coach then I dont see how this rumor could be anything but truth. You don't hire a DC and force a position coach on him ... do you?!

No, they would never do that. That would be like hiring a new GM and forcing him to keep your head coach.

Zool
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
No, they would never do that. That would be like hiring a new GM and forcing him to keep your head coach.

Cleft on fire today. Rack him.

Bretsky
01-05-2009, 11:35 PM

not much

just gotta hope MM knows what the heck he's doing

cheesner
01-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't believe this. If MM was going to hire Moss, I think he would have done it immediately.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't believe this. If MM was going to hire Moss, I think he would have done it immediately.

Moss is interviewing with St. Louis though. Why would he accept the job before knowing if he got the St. Louis job?

Lurker64
01-06-2009, 12:52 AM
I have to imagine that even if Moss is the leading candidate and a near lock to get the job, the Packers will still bring in some other guys for interviews, to see if anybody wows them in case Moss gets offered a head coaching job. At the very least, they won't bother to actually hire anybody until Moss is done interviewing for HC jobs (because of the Rooney rule mandating tokenism, sad to say, he may get a lot of interviews), in case he lands one.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 12:54 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37126084.html

Moss played linebacker in the National Football League for 11 seasons before joining the coaching ranks. He has coached linebackers since 2000, joining McCarthy in Green Bay after six years in New Orleans. All indications are he will be interviewed with at least one or two other candidates.

"Winston Moss, he's a great person, a great coach, and if he's the next defensive coordinator, we'd just go ahead and work as usual," defensive end Cullen Jenkins said in a phone interview. "I don't know what system we're going to be with now but whatever they bring in you just have to welcome it with open arms and try to adjust to it. "He's a real cool person. He doesn't take any BS. He gets intense during the games and stuff. He's a great coach."

"We know the type of person that he is and we know that we're very familiar with him so that would be another thing that would help," cornerback Tramon Williams said. "If a new guy comes in, he's going to change up some things and we're basically going to be starting from scratch. Whatever they do, I'm sure it's going to be best for the defense."

vince
01-06-2009, 01:10 AM
I'd say the signs point to McCarthy heavily leaning in this direction at this point, pending the oucome in St. Louis and possibly a couple interviews as JSO reported, but I think Moss is the far-and-away front runner right now.

He would appear to be the "change with continuity" answer, but if Ive been wrong before...

I wouldn't hate this decision if it comes about, but I'd be more excited witn some other candidates...

Partial
01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
change with continuity is just a scapegoat. I'm really not happy about Moss being considered. I want Williams, the LB coach from Pitt, or McDermott. Those are my top 3, not necessarily in that order.

vince
01-06-2009, 01:16 AM
change with continuity is just a scapegoat. I'm really not happy about Moss being considered. I want Williams, the LB coach from Pitt, or McDermott. Those are my top 3, not necessarily in that order.
A scapegoat for what?

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
I kinda agree with Partial here. If the system is really so underperforming, don't you go outside the organization to retool it? Otherwise, there is the faint whiff of a mere scapegoating job.

But I don't have a strong opinion about the next defensive coordinator. Its about personalities, mostly. MM can choose whoever he thinks will light a fire.

vince
01-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Sanders is obviously the scapegoat for past failures regardless of who is selected, but I don't think there is any chance whatsoever that this decision will not be made with sincere intent to implement change in one way or another to improve results, based on McCarthy's in-depth evaluation of the problems.

If he just wanted to shift blame from himself by merely creating a scapegoat and not implementing real change he thinks is needed, he wouldn't select someone so close to him.

If Moss is selected, there is already evidence that he would take the defense in a different direction based on his recently documented philosophical differences of opinion with Sanders.

Moss would not be my selection based on my incredibly limited perspectiive, but I know relatively nothing about the situion. None of us do.

It's amazing to me that people would actually think they know what should really be done here, adn rush to lay blame for a decision that may in fact be very successful - because it doesn't conform with whatever they annointed as the "right" one - before one down is even played under the new coordinator.

We know nothing relative to McCarthy about Winston Moss. We don't even know what kind of defense he would want to implement. Few if any of us have access to the information and resources that McCarthy does about trhe other candidates for the job.

Regardless of who's selected, that guy at least deserves the opportunity to have a press conference so we can get to hnow him and his philosophical approach a bit, doesn't he?

Or is Partial's sheer brilliance and ability to annoint the "right" decision so superior to McCarthy's intelligence, virtually unlimited resources and many years of first-hand experience in coaching and working with coaches that we should immediately blame McCarthy for fucking up before a down is played?

RashanGary
01-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Moss is not proven. I'd rather see someone who had more success. I'd rather see someone who has proven he can have complete control of a defense adn make it work. I think this team is getting close. Maybe it works out, but it's hard to feel completely cozy when MM completely fucked up the last time he hired a defensive staff and now he's doing pretty much the same thing.

Joemailman
01-06-2009, 07:20 AM

That's not necessarily true. It was MM who brought Moss here, not Sanders. I suspect the degree to which a new DC gets to pick his coaches varies from team to team.

Bretsky
01-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Moss is not proven. I'd rather see someone who had more success. I'd rather see someone who has proven he can have complete control of a defense adn make it work. I think this team is getting close. Maybe it works out, but it's hard to feel completely cozy when MM completely fucked up the last time he hired a defensive staff and now he's doing pretty much the same thing.

amen

vince
01-06-2009, 07:49 AM
That's why TT takes as much heat as he does... He doesn't make people all warm and fuzzy with his decisions. That doesn't make them wrong.

I'm OK with a "risky" move until the real merits of the decision are determined on the field. A DC's value can be assertained much more quickly and simply than a GM's can...

Besides, Moss is clearly much more "proven" to McCarthy, having worked with him every day for the last three years and prior.

Patler
01-06-2009, 07:53 AM

amen

I agree. He could turn out to be the next great DC in all of the NFL, but right now I won't be too excited if he is named DC in a week or so. Of course, I'm not too sure that anyone will be all that exciting right now. However, the mere idea of a change being made makes it interesting.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd be more excited about Moss getting the job than say Mike Nolan, who would bring in the 3-4, which would require discarding many of the current players, re-teaching others whole new schemes and responsibilities...I think it would set the team back two or three years. And because I believe this offense is primed for next year - if they quit fudging around with the offensive line - I'd like to see more minor changes. And now that it's been documented that Moss did not like the vanilla game plans, it seems clear that he'd bring something new to the table - more agressiveness without having to completely junbk the defense and many of the players that are in it.

As a few people here have noted, Kampman would not seem to be a good fit in a 3-4. So now you'd be in a position of not being able to use your best or second best defensive player? And to all those who do that "oh trade him for three first rounders" junk, rem,ember that all teams dealing with the Packers would know that the Packers were more or less putting themselves in a position of being forced to get rid of the guy, thus driving the price down.

I don't know. I think you adapt the scheme to the talents of the players you've been drafting for the past three or four years.

red
01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
you'll notice the article says "MIGHT" be the next DC

it doesn't say he will be for sure

sheepshead
01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
you'll notice the article says "MIGHT" be the next DC

it doesn't say he will be for sure

Uhh uhh, I think that was covered by the guy that titled this 'rumor' :wink:

Pack-man
01-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Barnett had a season-ending injury, and I don't think Hawk was ever healthy. Prior to this year, Barnett's play had improved markedly under Moss, and Hawk seemed on the verge of being an outstanding player. I think the major decline on the DL had a lot to do with the decreased effectiveness of the LB's.

I agree with you 100%. The DL play was so crappy it completely affected the play of the LB. Tough to make a play when the DT's are being blown back 5 yards into you.

I don't want to see Moss hired as the DC but I really don't blame him for the LB play this season.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
If Moss is selected, there is already evidence that he would take the defense in a different direction based on his recently documented philosophical differences of opinion with Sanders.

That's what I'm reading into the situation. If the reports about Moss being disgruntled about Sanders system are true, I doubt he sticks with it. I'm guessing he'd stick with the 4-3, but would definitely bring some more exotic packages. At least, I hope so.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't be sour if Moss were hired as the DC. Proof is in the pudding, but I could see it working.

ND72
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Bingo!

ND72
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't be sour if Moss were hired as the DC. Proof is in the pudding, but I could see it working.

I've been in the thought for over a year that Moss should be our DC. Like I said in other posts, I am a fan of a Nolan coming, but my "interest" is based solely on the fact I want something NEW. A new face, a new spark. I personally like Moss. I loved the move when they brought him in, and in speakign with him at some Fan Fests, he's a very good guy. Not afraid to talk football with people who think they know football :lol:

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I HOPE this means they are NOT gonna change the scheme. I said all along, there's nothing sacred about Sanders. It may be unfair to scapegoat him, but what the hey. The scheme is what is really important. Any deviation from that would be a step downward. How big a step downward depends on exactly what the deviation is. Keeping Moss, of course, doesn't automatically mean keeping the scheme. He apparently has a blitz-happy background with Haslett too.

I think the key to why he is getting this consideration has something to do with his title "Assistant Head Coach". That tells me McCarthy has confidence in him that he didn't have in some others.

rbaloha1
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Must admit the hiring of Moss as DC makes me nervous since Moss has never actually been an NFL coordinator.

On the other hand, Moss is likely to be more flexible with schemes and blitzes unlike Sanders.

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Our linebackers weren't healthy all year long. Barnett doesn't suck (as evidenced by the defensive meltdown immediately following his season ending injury), Hawk had chest/groin injuries plaguing him all season, Poppinga and Chillar each took their turns on the bench... Desmond Bishop was playing OLB at times this year!! Think that might have had something to do with it?

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I HOPE this means they are NOT gonna change the scheme. I said all along, there's nothing sacred about Sanders. It may be unfair to scapegoat him, but what the hey. The scheme is what is really important. Any deviation from that would be a step downward. How big a step downward depends on exactly what the deviation is. Keeping Moss, of course, doesn't automatically mean keeping the scheme. He apparently has a blitz-happy background with Haslett too.

I think the key to why he is getting this consideration has something to do with his title "Assistant Head Coach". That tells me McCarthy has confidence in him that he didn't have in some others.

The scheme is gonna change. Moss wasn't a fan of Sanders' scheme and the two had arguments about it.

Tex, teams have figured out the Bates scheme which is why you don't see many teams using it. It worked wonders in Miami many years ago, but it's been figured out. Think Buddy Ryan's 46 - it was the shit back in the mid 80's, but how many teams use it now that it's been figured out?

I would rather see creativity than copying someone else's tried and true yet figured out (thus obsolete) scheme. Something new.

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Must admit the hiring of Moss as DC makes me nervous since Moss has never actually been an NFL coordinator.

On the other hand, Moss is likely to be more flexible with schemes and blitzes unlike Sanders.

That's just it. Moss hasn't been an NFL coordinator before - so nobody knows what to expect of him. Nobody is going to see a certain look from him and know what's coming. It'll get teams guessing, and I'm hoping that if he gets the job he'll keep it that way.

sharpe1027
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM

It goes both ways. Anyone that meets your criteria would also have proven that their team didn't want them anymore or else they would not be available.