PDA

View Full Version : Reason behind the purge - internal bickering?

Patler
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Interesting JSO article about the purge:

Full Article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37127204.html

A few comments on quotes from the article:

JSO copyrighted content removed
Those complaints pretty much cover the entire defense. He was dissatisfied with everyone, but why not Moss too?

If they wouldn't play nice together, just clean house and start over. Understandable. If factions started form, its best to get rid of all of them. Otherwise, those who are kept can feel they "won". They may not even meld well with the new ones

Again I ask, why not Moss too? If Moss is to be the new DC why weren't others from his "camp" kept too? Was Moss' camp a camp of one, himself?

vince
01-06-2009, 12:43 AM
I'd say it's a camp of two. Moss and McCarthy. And that's the guy that counts here.

The results relative to this disagreement speak for themselves. The Sanders camp won the battles during the week, but lost the war when their unwillingness to adapt proved repeatedly ineffective at getting the job done on Sunday.

Lurker64
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Is it possible that McCarthy agreed not to fire Moss until the various head coaching vacancies he's interviewing for are filled, since being fired would hurt his chances of getting any of those positions, and McCarthy was being a nice guy?

I have to imagine "I was the only member of the defensive coaching staff not fired for incompetence after a disappointing season" looks a lot better on ones resume than "I, like the rest of the defensive staff, was fired for incompetence after a disappointing season."

Patler
01-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Is it possible that McCarthy agreed not to fire Moss until the various head coaching vacancies he's interviewing for are filled, since being fired would hurt his chances of getting any of those positions, and McCarthy was being a nice guy?

I have to imagine "I was the only member of the defensive coaching staff not fired for incompetence after a disappointing season" looks a lot better on ones resume than "I, like the rest of the defensive staff, was fired for incompetence after a disappointing season."

I have been wondering the same thing. Either he does not want to undermine his chance for a head coaching job by firing him now, or he intends to name him as DC but wants to wait until after decisions are made on Moss for head coach positions. I could see it being either one.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I don't think the fans will be satisfied with Moss getting the job. They want more change, a Knight in shining armor to ride-in from far away. Preferably somebody with a famous name.

BobDobbs
01-06-2009, 03:14 AM
The idea of McCarthy holding on to Moss out of a concern for his future is interesting, but I think there are holes in it. The main problem is that leaves our hiring schedule beholden to other teams' timetables. The only way out of it is to interview Moss along with other candidates, then hire someone else, then have them fire him. Otherwise, you're just hoping that someone snaps him up quickly so we can get on with remaking our defense.

It's possible. Certainly more possible than hiring someone else and telling that person, "You have total power to hire your own staff, but you have to keep this guy."

I think the more straightforward explanation is that during the end of the season interview process Moss convinced McCarthy that he should be the next DC and that he wanted to clean house to ensure that everyone working under him was hired by him, and thus was loyal to him.

I'd put even money down that Moss is the next DC after a couple of cursory interviews. But, hey I've lost plenty of bets too.

Lurker64
01-06-2009, 03:42 AM
The idea of McCarthy holding on to Moss out of a concern for his future is interesting, but I think there are holes in it. The main problem is that leaves our hiring schedule beholden to other teams' timetables.

However, considering that a lot of the hot up and coming defensive coordinator prospects are currently coaching for some of the better defensive teams in the league ,which, possibly not coincidentally are the ones still in the playoffs, we can't interview those assistants for the job until their teams are eliminated.

So, for example, if McCarthy really wanted to hire McDermott the earliest he would be able to talk to him would be after this coming Sunday, assuming the Eagles lose to the Giants (far from a given.)

But considering that some of the hot prospects for DC hires are people like:
Dave McGinnis (Tennesse Titans LB coach)
Bill Sheridan (New York Giants LB coach)
Sean McDermott (Philadelphia Eagles DB coach)
Keith Butler (Pittsburgh LB coach)
Tim Lewis (Carolina DB coach)
Chuck Cecil (Tennessee DB coach)
Sal Sunseri (Tennessee DL coach)

Having "doing Moss a favor" delay the hiring of a new DC a couple of weeks really may not hurt the Packers much at all, at least assuming McCarthy was interested in any of these guys.

Other potential hot prospects are people like Todd Bowles (DBs, Miami), Alan Williams (DBs, Indy), and Joe Woods (DBs, Minnesota), who might be granted the professional courtesy of being able to do end-of-season things at their current positions before being hounded for interviews (though contact may have already been made, and we would have no reason to hear about it yet.)

Rastak
01-06-2009, 06:34 AM
He could also be keeping Moss as a fall back if the one or two guys he's targeted fall through. If he were to fire Moss he may sign on with someone else before it's played out.

cpk1994
01-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Interesting JSO article about the purge:

Full Article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37127204.html

A few comments on quotes from the article:

Those complaints pretty much cover the entire defense. He was dissatisfied with everyone, but why not Moss too?

If they wouldn't play nice together, just clean house and start over. Understandable. If factions started form, its best to get rid of all of them. Otherwise, those who are kept can feel they "won". They may not even meld well with the new ones

Again I ask, why not Moss too? If Moss is to be the new DC why weren't others from his "camp" kept too? Was Moss' camp a camp of one, himself?MOss is under consideration for thge STl job. McCarthy firing him would most likely do damage to Moss in the eyes of STL brass. As the head man, if someone is being considered for a HC job, you should at least wait until that person is no longer being considered for that job before you decide if you still want to retain him or not.

Joemailman
01-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Moss is not just the linebackers coach. He is the Asst. Head coach with other responsibilities. Therefore MM would probably be inclined to bring him back even if he's not going to be the DC.

That said, when Moss first came to Green Bay to interview, he asked MM for the opportunity to interview for the DC job. MM declined as he had already decided on Sanders. Now that Sanders has not worked out as well as hoped, it could put Moss in a pretty strong position for the DC position.

Patler
01-06-2009, 07:48 AM
MOss is under consideration for thge STl job. McCarthy firing him would most likely do damage to Moss in the eyes of STL brass. As the head man, if someone is being considered for a HC job, you should at least wait until that person is no longer being considered for that job before you decide if you still want to retain him or not.

But would it really matter to St. Louis? Head Coaches fired a week ago are already under consideration by new clubs. I'm not sure that firing Moss would really affect the process in St. Louis. Maybe to some degree, but MM shouldn't really be too worried about that. His focus has to be on rebuilding his staff in the best and most efficient way that he can.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Strangely, the leaking of the notion that MM wants Moss as the next DC will only make him a more attractive head coaching candidate.

Bet TT is irked that these leaks are springing everywhere...

Bossman641
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Strangely, the leaking of the notion that MM wants Moss as the next DC will only make him a more attractive head coaching candidate.

Their sure seems to be a whole lot of leaks coming out of the organization right now. What makes it especially surprising is that they did such a great job of keeping everything hush-hush regarding the Favre situation last offseason.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Good point. Makes you wonder if someone has become disgruntled.

I hope not. It's better when people are gruntled.

cpk1994
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Their sure seems to be a whole lot of leaks coming out of the organization right now. What makes it especially surprising is that they did such a great job of keeping everything hush-hush regarding the Favre situation last offseason.Thats becuase Favre leaked everything.

Pugger
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I wonder if Moss will keep his present job. He was assist HC but NOT the DC. :?:

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Reading this thread makes it sound like Moss would bring that ugly word "CHANGE". I sincerely HOPE he would continue the system we have had. Anything else would be a step downward. I could live with a 3-4, but that is apparently one thing Moss is clearly not all about.

Lurker64
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Reading this thread makes it sound like Moss would bring that ugly word "CHANGE". I sincerely HOPE he would continue the system we have had. Anything else would be a step downward. I could live with a 3-4, but that is apparently one thing Moss is clearly not all about.

Well, the word from Moss is that he's not particularly tied to any system, he just wants to do whatever works. So I would guess that he would start with the base Bates/Sanders defense since everybody on the team ostensibly knows it, and then throw in wrinkles, variations, and other looks in order to increase production. This seems reasonable.

I don't expect the Packers to be able to sign some great blitzing genius and instantly get better production from the defense. If you recall correctly, the Giants defense was terrible for the first few games last year even though Steve Spagnulo apparently knows what he's doing based on the results after the players figured out the defense. Hiring Moss would require the least "adjusting to a new system" which would probably be a good thing.

Gunakor
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Change is only an ugly word when it's change for the worse. Things don't get better without change, either. I want better in 2009, so it goes without saying that I fully support a change here. Without change, we know what we have. And it ain't pretty.

Pack-man
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I wonder if Moss will keep his present job. He was assist HC but NOT the DC. :?:

Wouldn't DC actually be a step down from Assistant HC?

]{ilr]3
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I hope not. It's better when people are gruntled.

Ha! :rs:

bobblehead
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
If there was internal strife and bickering it would certainly put some perspective on blown assignments and a general look of confusion in our defense down the stretch.

Personally I'm not in favor of putting moss in charge if he was part of the usurping of bob sanders. If he wasn't then bring him on.

If this is true though that there was a lot of internal bickering I would probably have fired everyone who wasn't simply doing their job and helping make bob (the boss at the time) as successful as possible. It can't work any other way. He was the DC and if he wanted to stay within the bates system and others were causing problems with that they should definately be fired. Firing Bob should be independent of any of that.

jramsey495
01-06-2009, 06:15 PM
did i see chuck cecil as a potential candidate?? can we please hire him, please?!! just the karma of having chuck cecil on the sidelines again... i wonder if he would break the skin on the top of his nose as a coordinator too.

pbmax
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
There is one positive about the assistants in this article. It mentions that after a battle brewed over whether changes were needed, the assistants were able to stuff a sock in it and still present a united front to the players.

Being divided internally is not easy, and while the end result is not what they hoped to accomplish, the individuals involved should be commended on the professional way they continued to treat their job and their players.