PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Draft Choices signed

CaliforniaCheez
07-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Three weeks until Training Camp and it is time to get the draft choices signed.
Here is a simple look at the agents for the draft picks that Andrew Brandt will be negotiating.

Hawk

Mike McCartney
Priority Sports & Entertainment
325 N. LaSalle Street
Suite 650
Chicago IL, 60610
Phone:(312) 664-7700
Fax: (312) 664-5172

Better known clients: Haloti Ngata, Luis Castillo, Dominic Rhodes, Josh McCown
16 Active Contracts with NFLPA
Don't forsee major problems.

Colledge

Jeff Sperbeck
http://www.octagonfootball.com/mains/jeff_personnel.htm
Octagon
2121 N. California Blvd.
Suite 1025
Walnut Creek CA, 94596-0000
Phone:(925) 279-2700
Fax: (925) 279-2701

Better known clients- Dontarrius Thomas, Odell Thurman, the retired John Elway
7 Active Contracts with NFLPA

I have not heard of any problems with this agent.

Jennings and Blackmon

Eugene Parker
Maximum Sports Management
196 N. Main Street
Roanoke IN, 46783
Phone:(260) 672-9480
Fax: (260) 672-1310

Better known clients-Emmitt Smith, Hines Ward, Cedric Benson
18 Active contracts with NFLPA

This guy screwed up the Cedric Benson negotiation last year. He held out without getting more money than was offered 6 weeks prior to signing. Emmitt Smith once missed the first 2 games of the season. Parker could cause problem negotiations.

Hodge

Mitch Frankel
Impact Sports
2799 NW Boca Raton Blvd.
Boca Raton FL, 33431
Phone:(818)623-2800
Fax: (818)623-2810

Better known clients- Mike Williams, David Boston, Na'il Diggs, Lawrence Phillips, Jamal Lewis
15 active contract with NFLPA

He has represented guys with off field problems but still gets deals done. He should get a good deal for Hodge on time.

Spitz

Ralph Cindrich
http://www.cindrich.com/clients.htm
Cindrich & Company
Cindrich Center
552 Washington Avenue
Pittsburgh PA, 15106
Phone:(412)429-1250
Fax: (412)429-1260

Better known clients Adrian Klemm, Brian Griese, James Farrior, Jonathan Orr
36 Active contracts with NFLPA

This guy seems to get deals done. This may be one of the easier negotiations.

Rodgers

Vincent Taylor
Capital Sports & Entertainment
98 San Jacinto
Suite 430
Austin TX, 78701
Phone:(713)545-4440
Fax: (512)476-0611

Better known client- Ahmad Hall in the upcoming supplemental draft.
One active contract with the NFLPA
Little is known of this agent.

Martin

Jimmy Sexton
Athletic Resource Management
1100 Ridgeway Loop Road
Suite 500
Memphis TN, 38120-0000
Phone:(901) 761-8500
Fax: (901) 761-8518

Some clients Bill Parcell, Nick Saban, LaDainian Tomlinson, Chad Clifton, Drew Brees, Antonio Gates
37 Active Contracts with NFLPA

His Early Career Memory: "I was a sophomore in college (1984). My suitemate was Reggie White. I worked as a manager for the Tennessee football team. The USFL paid my way to go to the Hula Bowl, to keep an eye on Reggie White because they were interested in signing him. At the end of that week, he signed with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL and said I was his agent. I was 20-years-old. It was (a contract for) over a million dollars ... a five-year contract for $5.5 million. At the time, the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL was $400,000. So it was huge. It was what they offered."

This agent can bring some trouble to the negotiations. He held out Phillip Rivers The Antonio Gates negotiation was not easy causing him to miss first game of last season. The Packers can survive a hold out by Martin.

Moll

Jim Grogan
Grogan & Associates, LLC
4873 Ramcreek Trail
Reno NV, 89509
Phone:(775) 544-5072
Fax: (775) 770-2251

Known Clients ???
3 Active Contracts with NFLPA
Too little information to comment on this agent.

Jolly

Brian E. Overstreet
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/juliotx/menu.htm
E. Overstreet Sports Management
1314 Texas Avenue
Suite 1200
Houston TX, 77002
Phone:(713) 228-4529
Fax: (713) 228-9987

Better known clients Robert Ferguson, Quincy Morgan, Stocker McDougle,
13 Active Contracts with NFLPA
Found this problem with this agent
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index...&featureId=1170 (http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&featureId=1170)

CULVER

Bill Heck
Sportstars
2338 NW Professional Drive
Corvallis OR, 97330
Phone:
Fax: (541) 758-4019

Better known clients Josh Bidwell, Tank Johnson, Ricky Manning Jr.
10 Active Contracts with NFLPA

This guy is a CPA and really hasn't had bad negotiations that I can find.

TOLLEFSON

Josh Wright already got his client signed.
He has 23 Active Contracts with NFLPA

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 11:47 PM
what the f? contact info for agents???

GrnBay007
07-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I wonder how the players go about picking an agent...there are probably tons out there.

Think the agents start selling themselves to the good college players early??

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
I would guess it is 90% by referral. College guys get reports from players who graduate ahead of them.

Must be a damn tough business to break into.

GrnBay007
07-04-2006, 11:59 PM
It would be interesting to learn more about this whole process.

Maybe the Admin here could get Mr. Rosenhaus as a guest speaker to do a little question and answer session. :razz:

Anyway, interesting info californiacheez....and welcome to Packer Rats!!

CaliforniaCheez
07-05-2006, 12:12 AM

It's there if you don't like the way he is handling negotiations for his client.

Most guys signed with agents near their college.

RashanGary
07-05-2006, 12:28 AM
It's there if you don't like the way he is handling negotiations for his client.

Most guys signed with agents near their college.

LOL...Maybe we can slash their tires and burn their houses down.

packer4life
07-05-2006, 01:22 AM
good post cheez.

MadtownPacker
07-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Wow, where did find all this stuff Cheeze? Great research.

CaptainKickass
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Nice job Cheez -

You just gotta love the info available on the internet. It's damn amazing.

Patler
07-05-2006, 12:07 PM
The Bears are way ahead of the Packers this year:

"After agreeing to terms with Williams on Saturday and Hester on Sunday, the Bears have five of their seven draft picks in the fold.' (nfl.com)

Guiness
07-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Of the agents listed, I think Eugene Parker worries me the most. However, he got pwned by the Bears last year, so maybe he learnt his lesson.

Another one that concers me is Rodger's agent, Taylor - I wonder if he's Corey's homeboy. If so, he might be a prick, or might get schooled.

Overstreet is a concern simply because his company websight is on Angelfire!!! :?

KYPack
07-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I'll join the chorus, Cheez.

Nice data.

Did you get this from a site, or do the work yerself?

Either way, good post.

CaliforniaCheez
07-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Well I only had the names from

http://www.packers.com/draft/2006/

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=416808

and just yahoo'ed and googled the rest.

I only remembered Jimmy Sexton from how he handled the Clifton contract.

Anyway, not much else happens until this month until training camp.
I like to keep up on the events at hand.

I hoped someone else had some info on the agents.

packerpete
07-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Well I only had the names from

http://www.packers.com/draft/2006/

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=416808

and just yahoo'ed and googled the rest.

I only remembered Jimmy Sexton from how he handled the Clifton contract.

Anyway, not much else happens until this month until training camp.
I like to keep up on the events at hand.

I hoped someone else had some info on the agents.

Yeah Cheez, here is some more info on agents...

THEYRE ALL PARASITIC PRICKS!!

Fosco33
07-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Here is a simple look at the agents for the draft picks that Andrew Brandt will be negotiating.

Jennings and Blackmon

Eugene Parker
196 N. Main Street
Roanoke IN, 46783

This guy screwed up the Cedric Benson negotiation last year. He held out without getting more money than was offered 6 weeks prior to signing. Emmitt Smith once missed the first 2 games of the season. Parker could cause problem negotiations.

More info on Parker (more relevant to Jennings I guess) -

As talk continues to percolate in league circles regarding the contract signed by second-round wideout Devin Hester with the Bears, there's a growing concern that other teams will use the terms secured by Hester's agent, Eugene Parker, to keep the deals signed by other second-round picks low. -- profootballtalk.com

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 10:07 AM

Jennings and Blackmon

Eugene Parker
196 N. Main Street
Roanoke IN, 46783

As talk continues to percolate in league circles regarding the contract signed by second-round wideout Devin Hester with the Bears, there's a growing concern that other teams will use the terms secured by Hester's agent, Eugene Parker, to keep the deals signed by other second-round picks low. -- profootballtalk.com

TT is doing some head scratching over signing AJ Hawk and the rest of the Rookie draft class. This is going to cost him, especially given the large number of picks, and I'm thinking that he'll have to let some go and suck it up.

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about that, Buck. First of all, we still have cap room (reminding all of those who thought he should have blown the wad of it on older FA's) Secondly, only the high round picks are going to command any kind of cash in their deals. I can't see a 7th rounder holding out of camp for more cash, can you? If they did that, they'd be on the first flight back to wherever they came from. I don't think TT will have too much of a problem with signing the guys he wants. Now had we signed TO, then we'd be out of money and have to make some serious concessions. But we didn't, so we're fine.

Dabaddestbear
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM

He is giving you guys a hint to call and harass the agents for your players so as to pressure them into getting a deal done quick...lol.

One relief of not having a first round pick as a Bears fan is the fact that the first round Pick for the Bears this year cannot be a bust!
But I am glad to annouce that the Bears have signed all of their draft picks. First team to do so I believe.

Dabaddestbear
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Jennings and Blackmon

Eugene Parker
196 N. Main Street
Roanoke IN, 46783

TT is doing some head scratching over signing AJ Hawk and the rest of the Rookie draft class. This is going to cost him, especially given the large number of picks, and I'm thinking that he'll have to let some go and suck it up.

I dont think you guys should have to worry about Parker. Benson was a special case. I'm am still not too sure it was more about him holding out then the agent advising him to. Parker is normally a straight shooting agent with owners. Of course all agents ahve certain cases where some of their clients hold out. But trust me he is no Drew.

Fosco33
07-07-2006, 10:41 AM

He is giving you guys a hint to call and harass the agents for your players so as to pressure them into getting a deal done quick...lol.

One relief of not having a first round pick as a Bears fan is the fact that the first round Pick for the Bears this year cannot be a bust!
But I am glad to annouce that the Bears have signed all of their draft picks. First team to do so I believe.

A special thanks to the Bears for stiff negotiations with Hester. Now, Jennings (and other team's 2nd rounders) may be more affordable...

Bears | More on Hester’s signing
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 05:43:09 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the four-year contract agreed to with the Chicago Bears by rookie CB Devin Hester is worth nearly $2.86 million. It contained a signing bonus of about $1.25 million.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about that, Buck. First of all, we still have cap room (reminding all of those who thought he should have blown the wad of it on older FA's) Secondly, only the high round picks are going to command any kind of cash in their deals. I can't see a 7th rounder holding out of camp for more cash, can you? If they did that, they'd be on the first flight back to wherever they came from. I don't think TT will have too much of a problem with signing the guys he wants. Now had we signed TO, then we'd be out of money and have to make some serious concessions. But we didn't, so we're fine.

It's going to cost a bundle to sign AJ Hawk and the acquisition of Colledge and Spitz for OUR OL and WR Greg Jennings and ILB Abdul Hodge are the fellas we are really counting on to produce for us this season.

How much will just these five Rookies cost us?

How much do we have in the bank against the top of the Cap?

I'm letting the T.O. stuff cool down for awhile Ziggy . LOL :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Remember there is a rookie allowance built into the cap. After Chicago's smooth move, that could save other teams a bundle of money in signing their second and third rounders as well. Don't press the panic button yet Woody, it really shouldn't be too big a deal.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Remember there is a rookie allowance built into the cap. After Chicago's smooth move, that could save other teams a bundle of money in signing their second and third rounders as well. Don't press the panic button yet Woody, it really shouldn't be too big a deal.

Ziggy the only time I press the panic button, is when it involves a question of Brett Favre and not OUR QB.

That one gets me going just a tad. Well no. I'm out of control on that issue. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 12:58 PM

Ziggy the only time I press the panic button, is when it involves a question of Brett Favre and not OUR QB.

That one gets me going just a tad. Well no. I'm out of control on that issue. :mrgreen:

Well then you're ok for at least another season. It will all be ok.

pittstang5
07-07-2006, 02:10 PM
How much will just these five Rookies cost us?

How much do we have in the bank against the top of the Cap?

I believe the pack has about 10 mil in cap space now (Don't quote me, I could be wrong). Roughly, 6.5 of that is the rookie pool. If the Packers use the max allotted to them for the rookies, they'll have about 3.5 mil left over at the start of the season.

CaliforniaCheez
07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
In most years the lower round guys money is not the big issue. They sign for the rookie minimum plus a signing bonus appropriate to where they are drafted.

The problem is that the rookie minimum has gone up 40K but the rookie salary cap(cap within the cap) has gone up only 5%. The lower end guys are getting better deals so there has to be more creative contracts not just for the 1st round pick but for second round guys as well. This I think puts the pressure on the 3rd and 4th round guys who proportionately will get worse deals.

Currently it is about 500 hours until the first practice.
Assuming Andrew Brandt will sleep, eat, and go home during those 500 hours that give him 330 hours or 110 hours a week to negotiate contracts. A lot of that will be waiting as each side weighs the proposals and counter proposals.

Some agents and others do nothing until there is real deadline pressure to get a deal done. With the first practice begining at 1830 on the 28th it would not suprise me if Hawk's deal is done at 1500 that day and he makes the first practice.

Rastak
07-07-2006, 05:40 PM
FYI

Packers | Jolly signed
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:33:32 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced Friday, July 7, that they have signed DT Johnny Jolly to a contract. Jolly was Green Bay's first of two selections (183rd overall) in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

CaliforniaCheez
07-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks Rastak,

The link is up.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/07/07/2/

I don't see that they cut anyone to get the number of players right.

the_idle_threat
07-08-2006, 01:30 AM
I wonder how the players go about picking an agent...there are probably tons out there.

Think the agents start selling themselves to the good college players early??

They had an interesting panel discussion on this topic down at the Marquette Law School this spring. Marquette has a sports-law program for wannabe agents who saw Jerry McGuire.

The three-man panel consisted of two agents I've never heard of, and the Packers' own Andrew Brandt.

The gist of the discussion was that these guys just kind of hang around---especially around the good players---and try to befriend them. They also build rapport with collegiate coaching staffs, and certainly solicit referrals from other players. They have to follow strict guidelines regarding their professional conduct with players, presumably due to NCAA eligibility rules. Then it's a sweepstakes in the spring following the player's final year to get the kid signed.

Andrew Brandt told an interesting story regarding his relationship as agent to Ricky Williams. Williams played some minor-league baseball before going back to Texas and becoming a stud running back. Brandt was referred to Ricky somehow based upon his baseball days, and was around for pretty much the whole run at Texas. Ricky finished as the NCAA's all-time rushing leader (a mark to be broken the very next season by Ron Dayne) and signed with Brandt the next spring. Then he became acquainted with rapper Master P. Master P was obviously connected into the entertainment world, and offered some enticing bling-bling promotion. Ricky asked Andrew to "work with" Master P, and Andrew was not enthused. Right at that time, the Packers called and asked Andrew to "switch sides" and take his current role, and he did so with little hesitation. Ricky then signed up Master P as his sole agent, and P negotiated that famously horrible contract that had Ricky crying for Leigh Steinberg only a year or so later. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:30 PM
We signed Jolly - it was announced today. That is one quarter of them.