PDA

View Full Version : Really getting fat

Partial
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
In the past 4 years I have put on 80 pounds. That sickens me.

With that said, I am looking at a pretty easy last semester of school and a light work schedule due to my hours being slashed to 10 per week.

With that said, I'm going to start exercising. I'm going to do this plan so long as shin splints don't kill me. Perhaps I'll use the elipitical if they do.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'm also going to start lifting again. I'm hoping to be at 200 by the time the next PR game rolls around.

sheepshead
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I like the looks of the workout and always to want encourage anyone that embarks on any form of self improvement.

Sometime when you're on the treadmill and dying, think of this post and go another 5 minutes!

Good Luck.

MadtownPacker
01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Just step your fat ass away from the fridge and the taco bell. Get you one of those pedalling thing to use under your desk.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=344499&cm_ven=Compare&cm_cat=ChannelAdvisor&cm_pla=Nextag&cm_ite=datafeed

arcilite
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii271/cadiaccident/fat0001.jpg

SkinBasket
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh good lord. Another Partial is fat thread. Why didn't you just reuse the one from the last time you detailed your chubbiness and your wacky ideas about exercise and fat?

Freak Out
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Fruits and vegetables my friend...and walk/run/bike or ski everyday.

bobblehead
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Yea, no secret to weight loss, just to actually doing it.

No fast food, no beer. Eat all of God's foods in their most natural first form. Fruits, Vegetables, Fish, Meat. Lose the gravy, butter, flour, processed foods ect.

Best exercise to lose weight. HIIT training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

http://musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

Either one work fine....and after the holiday egg nog and cookies I think I should get back to it myself.

Stay very light on the weights for 3 months too, avoid injury.

packinpatland
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28524942/

Here you go........you can lose weight without getting off the couch!

Patler
01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
In the past 4 years I have put on 80 pounds.

That's probably not bad, assuming you were 6'10' and really, really skinny in 2004! :lol:

I shouldn't make light of your situation, but I have NEVER been overweight, so it is hard for me to sympathize. However, for the last 30+ years I have been much too short. My weight is fine if I were only about a foot taller than I am.

I try, and try and try; and I just can't seem to get any taller. It is so darned unfair! We have Weight Watchers, SlimFast, and all sorts of other help for those trying to lose weight to match their height. What is there for me and those like me who are trying to increase our height to match our weight? Nothing!!! :lol:

hoosier
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I try, and try and try; and I just can't seem to get any taller. It is so darned unfair! We have Weight Watchers, SlimFast, and all sorts of other help for those trying to lose weight to match their height. What is there for me and those like me who are trying to increase our height to match our weight? Nothing!!! :lol:

I've been getting daily emails from some Sergei guy in Russia who's selling a male enhancement device that he would bet his sister's life on. Maybe a vertical enhancement technique is just around the corner....

Charles Woodson
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
didnt you say you were going to lose weight last year?

Im with patler, never been overweight so cant help ya out much but hope you the best

Brando19
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I didn't know Patler was a midget! :lol:

Partial...you've gained 80 lbs?!?! Geesh...maybe you need to watch the premiere of "The Biggest Loser" tonight on NBC. Although everytime I watch it...I find myself eating a whole pack of Oreos. I'm 5'11" and about 180. I was 135 in 2002 when I graduated high school...so I've packed on some lbs since then.

swede
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Partial...you've gained 80 lbs?!?! Geesh...maybe you need to watch the premiere of "The Biggest Loser" tonight on NBC. Although everytime I watch it...I find myself eating a whole pack of Oreos. I'm 5'11" and about 180. I was 135 in 2002 when I graduated high school...so I've packed on some lbs since then.

5' 11" and 135!

Did you have to run around in the shower to get wet?

Brando19
01-06-2009, 06:15 PM

5' 11" and 135!

Did you have to run around in the shower to get wet?

Hahahaha...I was pretty skinny. I played soccer, basketball, and baseball...but now that I'm not doing any of that...it's catching up to my ass. I guess that's a good thing.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
the trick to being a successful fat person is to make a commitment to it.

if you are always fat, most people will come to think of you as being "big boned." The worst mistake is to lose weight, allowing people to see the thin man inside, and then following this phase with the inevitable weight regain.

bobblehead
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
In the past 4 years I have put on 80 pounds. That sickens me.

4 more years like this and I'm predicting you will become a democrat.

Partial
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm 5'11" 245. Weighed 160 in HS when I played sports. Now I don't do anything. Used to workout a lot freshman year of college.

MJZiggy
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Well there you have your answer. Move more. Oh, and as you get older, your metabolism slows down so you have to eat better. Glad I could solve that for you.

Brando19
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM

I'm 5'11" 245. Weighed 160 in HS when I played sports. Now I don't do anything. Used to workout a lot freshman year of college.

I actually thought about getting an eliptical like you talked about..but I just don't have the room for one. Also, they're pretty pricey. But....if you can afford it and have the room...those things would get you to lose weight like Richard Simmons working with Nicole Richie.

Partial
01-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Nah I can't swing it. I'd go to the school gym for free. Ellipticals are expensive, and the shitty ones are really shitty.

packinpatland
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM

I actually thought about getting an eliptical like you talked about..but I just don't have the room for one. Also, they're pretty pricey. But....if you can afford it and have the room...those things would get you to lose weight like Richard Simmons working with Nicole Richie.

I couldn't disagree with you more.........they're like those Nordic Tracks of old............they're nice to hang clothes on.

Harlan Huckleby
01-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Nah I can't swing it. I'd go to the school gym for free. Ellipticals are expensive, and the shitty ones are really shitty.

I really agree with this. Having a high quality elliptical makes a big difference, less strain on your knees.

I think gym memberships are a better value in general than home exercise equipment. Except for the occasional sociopath, not to name names Madtown, we are social creatures and like to be around people. It is better psychologically to get out of the house and sweat in public. Working out at home becomes a lonely chore, and home equipment becomes laundry hangers, as PatinPatland noted.

I suppose your mileage may vary.

MateoInMex
01-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Wisconsin weather won't allow me to rn in the winter due to the fact I'm a huge weather pussy. So I have a treadmill and only run
Outside when its 50 or more and no wind. I've lost 55 pds in 2 years and 20 in the last 2 months
To a trim 182. I stopped drinking beer everyday and drink 2wice a week. No late night snacking and 1500 calories a day with sit ups and push ups everyday...5 mile runs 3 times a week shod do it for ya if u wanna lose weight. Of course here in mex I drink daily so m set back about 10 pds but its worth it. If my fat ass can do it...u can too.

hoosier
01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Wisconsin weather won't allow me to rn in the winter due to the fact I'm a huge weather pussy. So I have a treadmill and only run
Outside when its 50 or more and no wind. I've lost 55 pds in 2 years and 20 in the last 2 months
To a trim 182. I stopped drinking beer everyday and drink 2wice a week. No late night snacking and 1500 calories a day with sit ups and push ups everyday...5 mile runs 3 times a week shod do it for ya if u wanna lose weight. Of course here in mex I drink daily so m set back about 10 pds but its worth it. If my fat ass can do it...u can too.

Longevity and fitness are sooooooo overrated. :lol:

Partial
01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
So far I am shinsplint free which is good.

MateoInMex
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Longevity and fitness are sooooooo overrated. :lol:

U have a point..I think I got laid more as a fat guy...but then I decidedo to get in shape after I got married. It's like...what's the fucking point...

packinpatland
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
How timely is this?
:shock:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28582253/

HowardRoark
01-10-2009, 07:54 AM

I have done virtually the same thing. The Monday after Thanksgiving I weighed 202, I am down to 183 now.

Followed a similar path that you have; have also thrown in some weights…..muscle is suppose to speed up metabolism.

Check out this link: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm I find it amazing how thin you have to be to merely fall in the “normal” range. I finally hit the normal range for my height, 6’1” , this week. Partial, your number does not look good.

A few other things:

1. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water everyday. You better also buy a catheter.
2. Eat a big breakfast….oatmeal or egg white omelet.
3. Small meal/snack every 2-3 hours all day.

I tried Bobblehead’s HIIT a few times this week; it is good. Basically, I thought it replicates playing a fast game of basketball. I also pulled my hamstring yesterday doing it…….

Oscar
01-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Cool link Howard. For me, I'm 6'2" and go around 190 lbs. I weighed 175 lbs when I graduated from high school. (1985) I've never been a work out warrior but have always stayed in shape.

I wonder how much a persons occupation effects there weight? I'm a mechanic and the type of work I do is pretty demanding physically. I've often thought that has made a difference for me. At least as far as staying in shape.

As I've gotten older I got into cycling and ride every morning when the weather permits and play basketball at least once a week. I've also stopped drinking alcohol and taken caffeine out of my diet.

Good luck Partial. Hope things work out for ya..

Partial
01-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Fatboy had 1 cup of total, 1/2 cup (not completely consumed) skim milk, and one large red delicious apple this evening for a midnight snack instead of going to the gas station down the street for a pizza/sour patch kids.

Whoo hoo go me!

bobblehead
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM

I have done virtually the same thing. The Monday after Thanksgiving I weighed 202, I am down to 183 now.

Followed a similar path that you have; have also thrown in some weights…..muscle is suppose to speed up metabolism.

Check out this link: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm I find it amazing how thin you have to be to merely fall in the “normal” range. I finally hit the normal range for my height, 6’1” , this week. Partial, your number does not look good.

A few other things:

1. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water everyday. You better also buy a catheter.
2. Eat a big breakfast….oatmeal or egg white omelet.
3. Small meal/snack every 2-3 hours all day.

I tried Bobblehead’s HIIT a few times this week; it is good. Basically, I thought it replicates playing a fast game of basketball. I also pulled my hamstring yesterday doing it…….

You pushed it a little too hard if you pulled a hammy...or you did it back to back days. I do it on a stairmaster so no big injury risk. I used to play a lot of basketball and was in great shape so I suspect your analogy is pretty good. If you are running you should only be about 80-85% on your "sprint" intervals.

This also brings up another point for partial...You are still young so get in shape now, if you wait till your 35 you are likely to get hurt everytime you try and get back in shape. Of course HgH and low impact steroids will probably be common in the next 10 years so it will be better for you.

Freak Out
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Partial....I've suggested signing up before...do it after you graduate.

Top Army recruiter weighs fat camp for recruits

By SUSANNE M. SCHAFER, Associated Press Writer Susanne M. Schafer, Associated Press Writer Mon Jan 12, 9:03 am ET

FORT JACKSON, S.C. – The Army has been dismissing so many overweight applicants that its top recruiter, trying to keep troop numbers up in wartime, is considering starting a fat farm to transform chubby trainees into svelte soldiers.

Maj. Gen. Thomas Bostick, head of the Army Recruiting Command, said he wants to see a formal diet and fitness regimen running alongside a new school at Fort Jackson that helps aspiring troops earn their GEDs.

Bostick told The Associated Press that obesity looms as "a bigger challenge for us in the years ahead" than any other problem that keeps young people from entering the military, including lack of a GED or high school diploma, misconduct or criminal behavior and other health issues such as eye or ear problems.

According to Defense Department figures provided to the AP, over the past four years 47,447 potential recruits flunked induction physicals at the nation's 35 Military Entrance Processing Stations because they were overweight.

That is a fraction of the 205,902 such exams given in 2005 and 250,764 in 2008, but still amounts to a hefty number and comes at a time when the military is more interested than ever in recruits. The Army and Marine Corps together paid more than $600 million over the past year in bonuses and other financial incentives to attract volunteers.

While the services have reported exceeding their recruiting goals in the past year, the Pentagon remains under pressure to find a constant flow of recruits. The Defense Department has announced plans to boost the active duty Army by 65,000 to a total of 547,000 soldiers by next year, and grow the Marines from 175,000 to 202,000 by 2011.

Obesity afflicts recruits for other physically demanding jobs, including firefighters. Deputy Chief Ed Nied, chair of the safety, health and survival section of the International Association of Fire Chiefs, said fire departments are also making a "major push" to encourage better fitness among young people who want to join.

"We draw from the same exact population that they (the military) draw from," Nied said from his Tucson, Ariz., headquarters. "This comes from a lack of physical education in the high schools."

In an interview during a visit to the Army's largest training installation, Bostick said a slim-down camp could be part of the new Army Prep School at Fort Jackson, S.C. The school opened in August, and gives recruits who didn't graduate from high school the chance to earn a GED before starting their nine weeks of basic training.

"We are looking at the Army Prep School as a place where we might send some (recruits) that have weight issues," the two-star general said.

The prep school is housed in several one- and two-story buildings on a small part of this sprawling training installation. The classrooms and living quarters are Spartan. GED candidates wear Army uniforms, exercise before breakfast and study under the guidance of enlisted officers. They do not mix or conduct weapons training with soldiers participating in the nine weeks of basic training maneuvers elsewhere on the fort.

Bostick argues that many of the young people who want to join the Army have a hard time understanding a healthy diet and the importance of daily exercise, but could get within the military limits with guidance.

"It took them 18 years to get to where they are at, so it's very difficult for them to lose the kind of weight that they need to on their own," said Bostick, who did not provide any timing for when his idea might reach fruition, nor any projection of its potential cost.

Lawrence J. Korb, a former Pentagon chief of personnel during the Reagan administration, said the Army has to fight even harder than the other service branches to get the recruits they need.

"The Army has a tough time recruiting as compared to the other services," said Korb, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank in Washington. He said the burden for fighting an unpopular war in Iraq has fallen primarily on the military's largest service.

"They are doing this because they are desperate," Korb said.

Recruiters echo Bostick's worries about weight issues among potential candidates for the military.

"I'd say that out of every 10 applicants that come in, probably three we couldn't take — they are obese," said Sgt. Darryl Bogan, a recruiter in Columbia. An additional 20 percent to 30 percent of recruits are slightly overweight, but some can get the weight off, Bogan said.

"We are getting heavier as a nation as far as our young people are concerned," Bogan said.

Besides basic weight and height guidelines, Bogan said the Army uses body fat percentages and an aerobics test to determine whether recruits can withstand the rigors of basic training. Recruits must step up and down on a riser at a certain rate per minute, then perform some push-ups and sit-ups and have their heart rates measured.

One of Bogan's recruits, 18-year-old Idalia Halley, was shocked when she found she was a few pounds too heavy to enter boot camp.

"My mom was like, 'You better come run with me,'" Halley recalled, saying it took several weeks of healthy eating and runs with her Army-veteran mom to finally get into the service.

On her second try, Halley said she weighed in at 162 pounds and logged a 30 percent rate of body fat to meet the Army's standard.

Toting her M-16 during weapons exercises in basic training, Halley said she'd slimmed down even more in the first weeks of training.

"I know I've lost some weight because I have to pull my pants up tighter," the Army private said. "And besides, I don't think the food's all that great — except breakfast."

SkinBasket
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Jiu Jitsu. Our gym even has a cardio class for fatties beforehand. I've watched several fat kids slim down in weeks while learning how to get choked and strangled the right way twice a week. We do 10-15 minutes of warm up to break your sweat and stretch, 15-20 minutes of technique, then 30-40 minutes of live rolling. The best part is, that even if you run out of gas and give in during the live part, you still get your ass kicked. You literally cannot give up. Giving up means more pain than continuing to work. It's good motivation for sick chubbies like you. If I could get nutz to come back to class, you guys would work against each other.

Partial
01-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I would like to do some martial arts and will probably do some once I'm graduated and once the project at work is less hectic, assuming that it ever is. That sounds like a good way to get tough and functionally strong. I'm fairly strong right now, but I don't have any functional strength. What i'm saying is while I can lift a fair bit, I am very weak in sports when trying to apply said strength.

At least I can throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

I've eaten pretty poorly today. I had a chipotle burrito at work (the provided dinner), and then was snacking on a handful of party mix when I got in.

I'm going to have a banana now. It was a long day. No time for the gym today. Worked 14 hours and gym is now closed :(

Partial
01-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I pee'd like 12 times today. I'm pretty weirded out.

I am going to keep track of it again tomorrow, and if it is as out of control as today, I guess I'll go see a doctor.

It's weird though, because I have really improved my diet over the past two weeks.

Today, I went out for the first non-home-cooker meal in a while, and got a grilled chicken sandwich for breakfast, and had 3 pint glasses of diet mountain dew.

Then, I had some fruit and water for lunch.

For dinner, I had two grilled chicken breasts and a 1/2 gallon of water.

What's odd is the water consumption is pretty typical for me, but the excessive pissing is not.

Kiwon
01-29-2009, 12:11 AM

Maybe we need to start a PR poll and figure out what the average is.

bobblehead
01-29-2009, 12:12 AM

I am going to keep track of it again tomorrow, and if it is as out of control as today, I guess I'll go see a doctor.

It's weird though, because I have really improved my diet over the past two weeks.

Today, I went out for the first non-home-cooker meal in a while, and got a grilled chicken sandwich for breakfast, and had 3 pint glasses of diet mountain dew.

Then, I had some fruit and water for lunch.

For dinner, I had two grilled chicken breasts and a 1/2 gallon of water.

What's odd is the water consumption is pretty typical for me, but the excessive pissing is not.

You should pee that much if you are drinking that much fluid, but if its not normal you could be spilling sugar. Go buy ketone sticks from a pharmacy and check your urine.

GrnBay007
01-29-2009, 12:13 AM

I pee'd a lot when I was pregnant. :P

SkinBasket
01-29-2009, 07:08 AM

I pee'd a lot when I was pregnant. :P

Awwww... Partial's not fat, he's just with child! Who's the dad? Madtown... you sly dog! I bet you poked holes in the jimmy just to trap Partial in a twisted relationship didn't you? Well done!

Harlan Huckleby
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
How old is Partial? Could we have a statutory rape situation here?

mraynrand
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
How old is Partial? Could we have a statutory rape situation here?

Wasn't this covered in the 'Raccoon' thread?

sheepshead
01-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey Partial--How about posting arecent photo?

SkinBasket
01-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, maybe one with you standing next to a measuring stick with your heels off.

mraynrand
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/55/55/5/65/40/493756540CiCrdp_th.jpg

SkinBasket
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs29/i/2008/152/7/6/Funny_Sign_In_Mexico_by_Genius_and_Clueless.jpg

Sparkey
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Fatboy had 1 cup of total, 1/2 cup (not completely consumed) skim milk, and one large red delicious apple this evening for a midnight snack instead of going to the gas station down the street for a pizza/sour patch kids.

Whoo hoo go me!

Partial, do you consume a lot of coke/pepsi/dew. That shit has so much sugar in it it will add a ring around your middle.

Like has been said. Drink water, eat many small meals, cut out big meals after 6 pm. I used to pound the Cap'n n Cokes on weekends in my twenties, then down two double whoppers at 3 am. If I did that now at age 42, I'd look like the Pillsbury doughboy in no time.

Partial
02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I've been eating a lot better but I just dislocated my ankle so I'll be out of comission for awhile. That really sucks as I was about to start week 3 of my 11 week 5k jogging plan.

SkinBasket
02-02-2009, 07:20 AM
I've been eating a lot better but I just dislocated my ankle so I'll be out of comission for awhile. That really sucks as I was about to start week 3 of my 11 week 5k jogging plan.

You're always going to be a tub if you only jog 5k in 11 weeks.

Partial
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM

False. Overtraining is really bad. Most people that aren't running take a good amount of time to comfortably build up to 5k. Three years ago I went from nothing to 5k in 8 weeks. I'm doing it in 11 this week because I am fat.

If your goal is just to be able to run 5k and have shot knees when you're 50, then by all means, go nuts, but their is plenty of documentation on the internet citing an opinion that disagrees with yours.

Here is the plan that I am following. I've added a couple weeks at the beginning to keep my legs fresh and give them more time to adjust.

mraynrand
02-02-2009, 01:16 PM

False. Overtraining is really bad. Most people that aren't running take a good amount of time to comfortably build up to 5k. Three years ago I went from nothing to 5k in 8 weeks. I'm doing it in 11 this week because I am fat.

If your goal is just to be able to run 5k and have shot knees when you're 50, then by all means, go nuts, but their is plenty of documentation on the internet citing an opinion that disagrees with yours.

Here is the plan that I am following. I've added a couple weeks at the beginning to keep my legs fresh and give them more time to adjust.

I've been running for 30 years and my knees are fine

(waiting for the inevitable....)

Partial
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Right, I'm not saying
"if you run, you'll have bad knees".

I'm saying
"if you're a big fat guy and are training too hard to knees that aren't adapted to running, you have a higher chance of deteriorating your knees".

SkinBasket
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM

False.

True.

Partial
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM

False.

True.

I'm convinced.

Glad to see again, that you know more than most of the trained professionals/physicians. You must be a workout guru and a top-tier physician. You went to medical school after all right?

SkinBasket
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM

False.

True.

I'm convinced.

Glad to see again, that you know more than most of the trained professionals/physicians. You must be a workout guru and a top-tier physician. You went to medical school after all right?

Well, I'm not as fat as you are if that's what you're asking.

swede
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM

False.

I think we need an emoticon for a joke going over someone's head.

Partial once finished a puzzle in 2 weeks, which was pretty good considering the box said 3-6 years.

SkinBasket
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM

False.

Partial once finished a puzzle in 2 weeks, which was pretty good considering the box said 3-6 years.

I thought he might figure it out at some point, but then I remembered who Partial is.

MadtownPacker
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
P, Why dont you just start smoking meth like every normal midwest White boy? Have you slimmed down in no time.

mraynrand
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM

False.

Partial once finished a puzzle in 2 weeks, which was pretty good considering the box said 3-6 years. :rs: FUNNY!