PDA

View Full Version : Matt Millen and The Bus

Guiness
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Is that the worst announcing combo ever?

I can't believe anybody would want to listen to what MM has to say after the egg he laid in Detroit. And Jerome...well, I might start missing Emmitt Smith.

swede
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Unbelievable.

gbgary
01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
:shock: pretty bad but the bus HAS to be better than emmitt.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
All I can say is that Matt Millen must have cojones the size of Texas to offer himself as an expert after his eight year fiasco in Detroit. I know he was originally considered an "expert" because he was a good player, but he proved to the world that he knows little about judging talent or building a football team or choosing a good coach.

Lurker64
01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I wonder if they'll let him call Lions games...

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I wonder if they'll let him call Lions games...

I'd get a legal restraining order prohibiting him from entering Ford Field ever again if I were the Ford family.

Freak Out
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I remember him as being pretty entertaining when he was calling games for FOX back in the day...remember when he traded a fur coat to Edgar for his Packer leather jacket? Maybe the good times just clouded my memories of how he was behind the mic....

Freak Out
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
The Bus seems like a nice guy but he really stinks in front of the camera......brutal stuff.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Is that the worst announcing combo ever?

I can't believe anybody would want to listen to what MM has to say after the egg he laid in Detroit. And Jerome...well, I might start missing Emmitt Smith.

Im not sure i'd even want to sit and have abeer with those two....well maybe.

cpk1994
01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
All I can say is that Matt Millen must have cojones the size of Texas to offer himself as an expert after his eight year fiasco in Detroit. I know he was originally considered an "expert" because he was a good player, but he proved to the world that he knows little about judging talent or building a football team or choosing a good coach.As long as he isn't offering and analysis in judging talent, I see no harm. He was one of the best color guys in the business before he went to Detroit. When it comes to X's & O's and the game itself, he's great. Juding who is taletned or not, no.

Cleft Crusty
01-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Millen was, at one time, a quality color commentator. Basketball play-by-play announcer Dick Stockton and wife Leslie Visser taught Millen everything he knows about pro football, and you can see how it worked out for Millen. You would think though, that Millen would sit out a year or five, change his appearance, name, perhaps even get a sex change operation, before returning to the booth and claiming to have any insight whatever into the game of football.

KYPack
01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
I remember him as being pretty entertaining when he was calling games for FOX back in the day...remember when he traded a fur coat to Edgar for his Packer leather jacket? Maybe the good times just clouded my memories of how he was behind the mic....

So Matt COULD make a good trade, didn't know that.

Matt's got great booth skills, but sheesh, it was way too soon for him to come back.

Bus?, he's out of his depth. He called Darren Sproles "Darrell" twice last Sunday.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh.

I thought this was about the bus Millen got tossed under after guiding the Lions to the season(s) they have had with him.

cheesner
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Millen did well in the booth before his GM days, I don't see why that should be any different. It is a much different job and the two don't correlate much. If anything, the experience should have broadened his perspective and he is better still.

As far as the Bus goes, I will withhold judgement till I hear him.

Pugger
01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Both the Bus and Emmit are pretty lame with a microphone. Neon Dione on the NFL Network grates on me too. :P I hate to say it but Cris Carter isn't that bad on BSPN.

retailguy
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM

So Matt COULD make a good trade, didn't know that.

Matt's got great booth skills, but sheesh, it was way too soon for him to come back.

Bus?, he's out of his depth. He called Darren Sproles "Darrell" twice last Sunday.

Maybe Sproles will pull a "THEESMAN" and change his name to appease the media? :wink:

Guiness
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Both the Bus and Emmit are pretty lame with a microphone. Neon Dione on the NFL Network grates on me too. :P I hate to say it but Cris Carter isn't that bad on BSPN.

The guy I liked was Frank Gifford - too bad things went off the rails for him. And the whole thing with the flight attendant who appeared in Playboy made me laugh too.

KYPack
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM

The guy I liked was Frank Gifford - too bad things went off the rails for him. And the whole thing with the flight attendant who appeared in Playboy made me laugh too.

I dunno if Frank would have much appeal at age 78.

The Playboy girl episode was about the only excitement Giff ever generated.