Farley Face
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090106/PKR01/90106162/1058

Lurker64
01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
*sigh*

The Leaper
01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Not thrilled...but Nolan IS better than Sanders.

MJZiggy
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Meh. That article really doesn't say anything we didn't already know. It will likely be Nolan and if not Nolan then it will likely be Moss. Unless Moss goes to St. L in which case it would likely be Nolan.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Funny!

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/05/report-mike-nolan-to-coach-packers-defense/

Would the Packers trade Kampman? Unlikely, but Nolan could be in for a challenge making him fit. Jenkins should be an easier fit than Kampman.

Then again, all of this means nothing if Nolan is flexible and is sticking with the 4-3. He could probably work blindfolded and call a more effective defense than Sanders did.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I was doing a google search for Mike Nolan and found this on another forum:

It was posted on December 23rd. Sounds like Gerry Ellis knows what he's talking about.

I don't have a link, but on ESPN radio they had former Packer packer RB Gary Ellis on. He said that it is widely known in the media that Bob Sanders isn't MM's type of D coordinator, and then he mentioned that he thinks Mike Nolan will be the replacement.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Guess I'd rather see Moss than Nolan.

I think going to a 3-4 will set this team back. Makes one of their best players, Kampman, by most accounts unfittatable in this scheme.

Me no like.

RashanGary
01-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I was a fan of Greg Williams. He runs a 4-3 pressure defense. If we choose Nolan then so be it. We do have a good 5-10 years ahead of us with good QB play. We have time to get the defense in order and make the run.

Lurker64

I think going to a 3-4 will set this team back. Makes one of their best players, Kampman, by most accounts unfittatable in this scheme.

Me no like.

In San Francisco, Nolan's base defense was a sort 4-2-5 "Big Nickel" package that was designed to "prevent the big play" but was bad at creating pressure. I don't like it.

HarveyWallbangers
Me too, but I'm indifferent on Nolan and I'll give him a shot. I'm intrigued about the thought of going to a 3-4.

RashanGary
01-06-2009, 08:12 PM
3-4 would be interesting but only a coupel teams run it well and the rest are bottom of the barrel scrubs. Are we more likely to be the NE/Pitt/Balt or the Cle/SF?

My bet is that we suck ass with it.

RashanGary
01-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I like the 4-3 defense better. I'm a big fan of the Osi/Strahan/Kampman type player. They're too big to play OLB in a 3-4, but small enough to out quick OT's and powerfull enough to mix it up. I also like having the extra big body inside.

Fritz
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Me no like.

In San Francisco, Nolan's base defense was a sort 4-2-5 "Big Nickel" package that was designed to "prevent the big play" but was bad at creating pressure. I don't like it.

Sounds like something Bob Sanders would run!

Just say no to nolan!

rbaloha1
01-06-2009, 08:47 PM
My guess is MM requires Nolan to run the 4-3 scheme due to personnel.

Once personnel is assessed along with draft pics I bet more wrinkles are added. Nolan is experienced. Lets have faith the schemes and play calling reflects the experience and defensive talent.

highlander
01-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Me no like.

Sounds like something Bob Sanders would run!

Just say no to nolan!

Boy if so why did the Packers give up so many damn big plays..

I like the Nolan pick In SF he ran formations out of both the 3-4 and 4-3. I think this was a safe pick nothing flashy but someone with 11 yrs of experience and sucess MM needed someone like this.

MM made a bad decision on hiring Sanders it was a knee jerk reaction when Bates turned down the job.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2009, 09:11 PM

At least, he sounds adaptable. In Baltimore, he used both a 4-3 and 3-4, right? San Francisco doesn't have great defensive personnel, so maybe he was trying to do what he could to limit the damage. Hard to say though. How involved was Singletary in that defense? Kind of hard to concentrate on defense when you are HC. Also, some guys are better coordinators than HCs. We'll see. I'll give him a chance.

Bretsky
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm a bit worried as Nolan was one of my top guys to bring in

This hardly ever happens to me

Joemailman
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
“He’s good now. He’s smart,” said the scout who’s familiar with Nolan. “He can run 3-4, 4-3, he knows it all. It depends on what personnel you have. He’ll do whatever, morph to whatever. He’ll use your players to their strengths. He’s smart that way.”

Relax everyone. He's not going to install a defense that makes Kampman unusable. Better times are ahead.

Bretsky
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/05/report-mike-nolan-to-coach-packers-defense/

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2009, 10:39 PM
This morning it was Moss; Now it's Nolan; Tomorrow morning maybe it will be somebody else. I'm kinda lukewarm about Nolan. The other thread makes his record seem pretty bad. At least, he's not one of these "pressure defense" idiots. Spare us from the prospect of ending up with Williams or McDermott or somebody like that--which, incredibly, most in here are stupidly advocating.

Myself, I think Kampman would do all right in a 3-4, and otherwise, the rest of the Packer D personnel seems well suited for 3-4. I like the sound of that 4-2-5 thing, and I like the prospect that maybe he moves to teams and tends to keep in place what is already there.

Since we are stuck at this point with throwing the change-mongering fools a bone, probably Nolan is as good as anybody. I just hope his "flexibility" doesn't lead to some form of idiocy that will drag the Packers down.

Partial
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I know Tex. Those bastard pressure based defenses with different fronts and their playoff appearances! Who would want that when we our team can hit home in January and enjoy the new year with their family! :lol:

vince
01-07-2009, 04:30 AM
At least, he's not one of these "pressure defense" idiots. Spare us from the prospect of ending up with Williams or McDermott or somebody like that--which, incredibly, most in here are stupidly advocating.

Since we are stuck at this point with throwing the change-mongering fools a bone, probably Nolan is as good as anybody. I just hope his "flexibility" doesn't lead to some form of idiocy that will drag the Packers down.
Tex, of the top 5 defenses in the NFL this season, how many of them would you say are run by "idiots" who are "stupidly advocating" a pressure-oriented, attacking defensive philosophy?

All 5 of them. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York Giants and Washington all play an aggressive, attacking style of defense, and those are the top 5 defenses in the league by yards given up. Tennessee slips into the top 5 in the pts. per game ranking, making 5 of the top 6 defenses having an attacking style of play by that measure.

You can't attribute that correlation to a freaky streak of luck. Calling people idiots for wanting to copy that kind of success by bringing that type of philosophy to Green Bay is idiotic itself.

Clearly other philosophies can work, but agressive, attacking defenses are proving to work most consistently.

pack4to84
01-07-2009, 06:07 AM
3-4 would be interesting but only a coupel teams run it well and the rest are bottom of the barrel scrubs. Are we more likely to be the NE/Pitt/Balt or the Cle/SF?

Teams that run 3-4

Steelers ranked 1st
Ravens ranked 2nd
Cowboys ranked 8th
Patriots ranked 10th
49ers ranked 13th
Dolphins ranked 15th (1st year with 3-4)
Jets ranked 16th

Only 2 teams defense struggled that ran 3-4

Chargers ranked 25th
Browns ranked 26th

cpk1994
01-07-2009, 06:16 AM

Me no like.How about we wait on that sentiment until:

1.Nolan is actually hired.

2.Nolan actually runs a 3-4.

Right now, we don't know if nboth of those are offically true.

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 07:38 AM

Teams that run 3-4

Steelers ranked 1st
Ravens ranked 2nd
Cowboys ranked 8th
Patriots ranked 10th
49ers ranked 13th
Dolphins ranked 15th (1st year with 3-4)
Jets ranked 16th

Only 2 teams defense struggled that ran 3-4

Chargers ranked 25th
Browns ranked 26th

That's an average of 13. I guess it's better than average but the more teams that run it the harder it's going to be to keep finding players who can play it. I'd like to see other teams switch and we stand pat with the 4-3. I like 4-3 players. I like two DT's on the field. I like the prototype DE's like Kampman and Strahan. I'm OK with 3-4's too, but we don't have the players. Some say we do, but I completely disagree. I think our guys would be awful (especially Barnett and Kampman).

cheesner
01-07-2009, 09:08 AM
One of the benefits of running a 3-4 was that few teams ran it. Therefore, a player who was ideal for it, but poorly suited for a 4-3, was available later in the draft. You could draft better players later, thus developing a more talented defensive front seven. As more and more teams run it, and the talent pool dilutes, it will become a less and less effective defense. Also, if more teams run it, offenses will more and more gear to beating it. I feel, whatever you do, you need to be the innovator and not the bandwagon jumper.

I am ok with Nolan, but I would have given greater consideration to Williams.

By the way, I found this quite interesting. I think my opinion of Snyder decreased even more. An owner who goes around the HC and ridicules the DC? Can't imagine why that franchise stinks.

Then in 1999, brash neophyte Daniel Snyder purchased the team, and when Nolan’s defense struggled — it finished the season ranked No. 30 in yards and No. 24 in points — Snyder went after his defensive coordinator. The first-year NFL owner considered Nolan’s defenses vanilla, twice had ice cream delivered to Nolan’s office to hammer home the point, and after the 10-6 season, fired Nolan.

Fritz
01-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Well, we're all throwing our sentiments out there - isn't that what most of these recent threads have been about? So why wait on one sentiment but not another?

And Nolan's long history as a coordinator rests primarily upon a 3-4, so the likelihood of him suddenly changing his scheme to fit the personnel here seems less than the likelihood of him running what he's traditionally run, right?

I do not want to see a 3-4 defense brought to Green Bay at this time. Is MM doesn't work out, if TT doesn't work out, and the team wants to start over, then sure. But to me, this is a team that is closer to the top than the bottom talent-wise, and does not need to be dismantled defensively. I don't want to see this team start over on one side of the football.

wist43
01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Defense is about one overriding thing more than anything else... pressure. Winning the LOS battle, and pressure.

The Packer have for many years viewed defense as if it were a 7 on 7 drill.

ND72
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Defense is about one overriding thing more than anything else... pressure. Winning the LOS battle, and pressure.

The Packer have for many years viewed defense as if it were a 7 on 7 drill.

I think Defense is about one more overriding thing than you said....TACKLING...and we SUCKED at that this year.

But in order to tackle, you have to disengage a block, and it starts up front with that. nobody runs at Kampman, and the rest of the front guys couldn't get off blocks, which hurt our LB's even more. Case in point, Carolina game. That long run where the RB fumbled it on like the 1 yard line, and their big tackle recovered the fumble. PERFECT replay of how bad our front guys were. Johnny Jolly & Ryan Pickett got their asses kicked so badly, the designed double team on both of there didn't happen, and both were single blocked, both Hawk and POOP got perfectly blocked out of the hole, and he was gone. That isn't LB fault, that's DL fault.

chain_gang
01-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I think Defense is about one more overriding thing than you said....TACKLING...and we SUCKED at that this year.

But in order to tackle, you have to disengage a block, and it starts up front with that. nobody runs at Kampman, and the rest of the front guys couldn't get off blocks, which hurt our LB's even more. Case in point, Carolina game. That long run where the RB fumbled it on like the 1 yard line, and their big tackle recovered the fumble. PERFECT replay of how bad our front guys were. Johnny Jolly & Ryan Pickett got their asses kicked so badly, the designed double team on both of there didn't happen, and both were single blocked, both Hawk and POOP got perfectly blocked out of the hole, and he was gone. That isn't LB fault, that's DL fault.

I agree that our DL was terrible this year, however, the LB's were no crown jewel this season either. Some games our LB's were eaten up by lineman, but some games are LB's missed their gap responsibility completely, case and point the Viking game at the Metrodome, AP's game winning TD run, Our DL did it's job their, and ate up the blockers, but Poppinga gets wiped out of the play over pursuing and collides with Kampman wiping both out of the play, Bishop pursues the cutback instead of taking his B gap responsibility, and AP has a hole 4-5 yds wide to run through, and ends up running to the endzone, virtually untouched. Like I said our DL wasn't great but on a lot of the long runs this season our LB's missed their gap assignments. In all our whole front 7 sucked this year, with the exception of Kampman. For all of the money we have stuck into our LB's I expect better results than what they gave this year. Chillar was a bright spot, but Barnett, Hawk, and Poppinga did not earn their keep this past season. An upgrade at DL will help, but we need to look at some LB's also to get our front 7 stabalized.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
When they are healthy, I'm actually okay with our LBs. They've shown in the past that they can be good enough to play on a good team. The DL hasn't proven this. Jenkins has a hard time staying healthy. Jolly has shown glimpses, but is inconsistent. Our DEs are young. Cole is "just a guy". Harrell is a bust, so far. DL is a bigger concern. Of course, the top LBs look like much better prospects than the top DL, so I'm not against drafting a guy like Curry or Rey, if they are there. Like somebody else said, I'd rather draft a stud LB than an average DT.

cpk1994
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Well, we're all throwing our sentiments out there - isn't that what most of these recent threads have been about? So why wait on one sentiment but not another?

And Nolan's long history as a coordinator rests primarily upon a 3-4, so the likelihood of him suddenly changing his scheme to fit the personnel here seems less than the likelihood of him running what he's traditionally run, right?

I do not want to see a 3-4 defense brought to Green Bay at this time. Is MM doesn't work out, if TT doesn't work out, and the team wants to start over, then sure. But to me, this is a team that is closer to the top than the bottom talent-wise, and does not need to be dismantled defensively. I don't want to see this team start over on one side of the football.But we don't know who can or cannot play in the 3-4 until they actually try to play it. But we don't know if Nolan is the hire, or if he will run a 3-4. Remember, if M3 wants a 4-3, and he hires Nolan, Nolan will run a 4-3. Same goes for 3-4. However, no one knows for fact who can play in the 3-4 or who can't. That is why I am in wait and see mode. I will wait until we see what DC M3 hires and what he wants to run.

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
One of the benefits of running a 3-4 was that few teams ran it. Therefore, a player who was ideal for it, but poorly suited for a 4-3, was available later in the draft. You could draft better players later, thus developing a more talented defensive front seven. As more and more teams run it, and the talent pool dilutes, it will become a less and less effective defense. Also, if more teams run it, offenses will more and more gear to beating it. I feel, whatever you do, you need to be the innovator and not the bandwagon jumper.

I am ok with Nolan, but I would have given greater consideration to Williams.

Another benefit of the 3-4 is its flexibility. You can blitz one of the LBs from somewhere on a lot of downs.

Partial discussion of 4-3/3-4 pressures:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d6974b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

SlimPickens
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
As I recall Kampman played linebacker his first couple of years at Iowa.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
So if Nolan is indeed the guy, does anyone know if he likes to play bump and run? Basically am asking if Harris would fit in his scheme.

Sorry if its been covered already I haven't been in for a while.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Spare us from the prospect of ending up with Williams or McDermott or somebody like that--which, incredibly, most in here are stupidly advocating.

McDermott is a Jim Johnson desciple. Jim Johnson has never ever had a defense that stinks. He's known for his exotic blitz packages, and always is near the top in total defense. So, obviously he figured out how to make blitzing work effectively. McDermott learned in that system, so he'd be bringing a COMPETENT blitzing scheme with him. Blitz often, but don't get burned by it. Have the guys that aren't after the QB in the right position to make plays if the blitz doesn't get there.

Show your teeth. Growl a bit. Dictate to the offense how shit goes down, not the other way around. Jim Johnson is outstanding at that, so I'd assume anyone who spent considerable time in that system would be as competent as well. To be perfectly honest, I wish like hell we could get Jim himself in as our DC.

Chryst, I wish we could bring Jim in as our HC, and have McDermott as his DC. Made of win.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_2_33/ai_107524511/pg_2

Is defensive coordinator Mike Nolan underrated?

Ray Lewis: Yes. It's hard to find defensive coordinators who trust their players. I am talking about the players who he knows are going to put in the work and come to work every day. He gives you flexibility to go play football. When you see Mike talk; he is very energetic. When you see that in a coach, that gives energy to the players. I don't know if Mike is too far from Marvin [Lewis, Baltimore's former defensive coordinator]. The way they speak, their terminology--it's almost identical.

rpiotr01
01-07-2009, 12:35 PM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_2_33/ai_107524511/pg_2

Is defensive coordinator Mike Nolan underrated?

Ray Lewis: Yes. It's hard to find defensive coordinators who trust their players. I am talking about the players who he knows are going to put in the work and come to work every day. He gives you flexibility to go play football. When you see Mike talk; he is very energetic. When you see that in a coach, that gives energy to the players. I don't know if Mike is too far from Marvin [Lewis, Baltimore's former defensive coordinator]. The way they speak, their terminology--it's almost identical.

Nice find, but I think a lot has changed in the 5 1/2 years since that was written.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Baltimore runs a 3-4. All the more reason to stay away from former Ravens DC's IMO.

I want a guy who will make our front 7 effective in a 4-3 defense. Not someone who is going to completely change what we do. I don't want to see any changes in the defensive backfield, and the only change I'd like to see from the front 7 would be minor tweaks that would make them more aggressive, a bit less predictable. Get the QB on the ground more often. Indimidate the OL lined up across from them. Own the LOS. That's it, not a complete overhaul.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 12:37 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=R1-29Z3kNmkC&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=Mike+Nolan+-%22San+Francisco%22+%2BBaltimore&source=bl&ots=fjplODJsFl&sig=yoGB8d48pKPkeBW88lL7gJ3fqT8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA54,M1

Mike Nolan has rebuilt the Baltimore defense with different players and in a different style that let the Ravens become dominant once again...

He said that coming up with a flexible defense has been a key to Baltimore's success in the last two years--despite being such a very young team.

"It's a neat thing to be able to design something for the players to take advantage of," Nolan said. "It's trying to put them in a position to utilize their strengths rather than say [that] this is our defense, and we're going to do it this way because that's what I know. That's narrow-minded and doesn't allow players to shine.

Partial
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Baltimore runs a 3-4. All the more reason to stay away from former Ravens DC's IMO.

I want a guy who will make our front 7 effective in a 4-3 defense. Not someone who is going to completely change what we do. I don't want to see any changes in the defensive backfield, and the only change I'd like to see from the front 7 would be minor tweaks that would make them more aggressive, a bit less predictable. Get the QB on the ground more often. Indimidate the OL lined up across from them. Own the LOS. That's it, not a complete overhaul.

Actually Baltimore ran more 3-4 when Nolan was there. I was surprised to hear it too. They did a lot of weird stuff back in the day. Their super bowl year they definitely ran a good amount of 4-3 with Goose and Sam Adams as their fat boys up front.

Guiness
01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
All this talk of pressure, blitzing defenses - reminds me of Slowik's attempts to 'blitz, blitz, blitz' against Carolina, I think.

There's no magic bullet. Just deciding to go that style doesn't mean a thing

Pacopete4
01-07-2009, 01:18 PM
for all the naysayers already I haven't heard many better options

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
All this talk of pressure, blitzing defenses - reminds me of Slowik's attempts to 'blitz, blitz, blitz' against Carolina, I think.

You can't go that route if you can't get the guys who aren't on the blitz in the right position to make plays if the blitz doesn't hit home. In other words, don't send Woodson on a corner blitz if the SS can't pick up the WR Woodson is lined up over, or bad things will happen if Woodson doesn't get there.

That's why I'm in favor of McDermott. He's a desciple of Jim Johnson, so I think he knows a thing or two about how to blitz effectively without giving up too many big plays. Jim Johnson is my favorite DC in the league, so any desciple of his would be more than welcome in my book. I just love what the Eagles do on defense, and would be elated if that style of defense found it's way to Green Bay.

retailguy
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Carolina was the game where it worked. The Indy game, if I recall correctly it was game three is where the bus wheels fell off.

Bossman641
01-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Carolina was the game where it worked. The Indy game, if I recall correctly it was game three is where the bus wheels fell off.

I believe you're correct. First game of the year was Carolina on Monday night and the defense looked great. The following 15 games is where the defense struggled.

hurleyfan
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
That's why I'm in favor of McDermott. He's a desciple of Jim Johnson, so I think he knows a thing or two about how to blitz effectively without giving up too many big plays. Jim Johnson is my favorite DC in the league, so any desciple of his would be more than welcome in my book. I just love what the Eagles do on defense, and would be elated if that style of defense found it's way to Green Bay.

Would love to see McDermott get a shot in Green Bay... Not only would he know how to blitz effectively, I thinks he's probably had a hand in that pretty good secondary!

Guiness
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM

I believe you're correct. First game of the year was Carolina on Monday night and the defense looked great. The following 15 games is where the defense struggled.

lol 'the following 15' I guess I remember Carolina because that's the first game we saw it, and I remember thinking this shit is going to get us killed. At the time I probably looked at the schedule, saw Manning, and thought 'killed soon'

Doesn't matter - point I was trying to make is a pressure, blitzing defense is not a panacea. Do it wrong, and it will some kind of blow up.

rbaloha1
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Great move. MM can focus more on the o-line and not worry about the defensive side of the ball.

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Great move. MM can focus more on the o-line and not worry about the defensive side of the ball.

Well, no move has been made yet. The media is just speculating. As far as I know, McCarthy hasn't even lined up any interviews for prospective DCs, and probably won't do so at least until the divisional playoff round is concluded this weekend.

The journal sentinel is listing a bunch of guys who are probable candidates, which is much less refreshing than reports of "Moss in" or "Nolan in".

Briefly:
Status quo: Moss.
3-4 guys: Mike Nolan(*), Keith Butler, Dom Capers, Romeo Crennel, Pepper Johnson,
4-3 guys: Gregg Williams, Gunther Cunningham, Sean McDermott, Tim Lewis, Jerry Gray, Bill Sheridan, John Bunting, Bill Johnson(*)

(* indicates "has coached both 3-4 and 4-3 to my knowledge.)

I would expect at least three interviews before anybody is hired. Head coaching vacancies are only just starting to be filled, there's a lot of time left to hire coordinators. I very much would doubt that McCarthy would hire a pure 3-4 guy for the DC position. The roster may be in position to "gradually transition to the 3-4", but next year at best we're looking at a mixture of 4-3 and 3-4.

Chevelle2
01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
"He’s good now. He’s smart,” said the scout who’s familiar with Nolan. “He can run 3-4, 4-3, he knows it all. It depends on what personnel you have. He’ll do whatever, morph to whatever. He’ll use your players to their strengths. He’s smart that way.”

mngolf19
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Listening to Larivee this morning he sounded less than thrilled about a 3-4. He thought it will take time to get good at it and that Kampman and Harris would struggle with it and likely be out.(in the case of Harris)

Anytime you make this kind of change you will be inconsistent at best the 1st year. And I think your success depends on how quickly you can change over your personnel after.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Moss doesn't necessarily mean status quo. He's not married to Sanders' scheme. They ran something different in New Orleans. Also, getting Nolan doesn't mean a 3-4. Sounds like he's adaptable.

rbaloha1
01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Listening to Larivee this morning he sounded less than thrilled about a 3-4. He thought it will take time to get good at it and that Kampman and Harris would struggle with it and likely be out.(in the case of Harris)

Why would the new DC create schemes which do incorporate 2 of the better defensive players?

westcoastpacker
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
According to Michael Lombardi of the National Post the packers are committed to go to the 3-4 defense. So if this is the case why haven't they announced Nolan has the job? I am beginning to think that it is nether Nolan or Moss.

mission
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Anytime you make this kind of change you will be inconsistent at best the 1st year. And I think your success depends on how quickly you can change over your personnel after.

Wayne needs to realize it can't be any worse than this year defensively ...

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM

It can always get worse, we weren't even the 32nd ranked defense...

Pacopete4
01-07-2009, 11:22 PM

It can always get worse, we weren't even the 32nd ranked defense...

cant get any worse? whoa whoa whoa... this wasnt even close to our worst defense in the past 5 years...

mission
01-07-2009, 11:28 PM
No it cant get any worse.

Our personnel is not even close to 32nd ... the talent:results ratio is about as bad as it can get.

Pacopete4
01-07-2009, 11:30 PM

Our personnel is not even close to 32nd ... the talent:results ratio is about as bad as it can get.

well that talent, just got a year older... our best 3 players on D: Kampy, Woodson, Barnett are not getting any younger and the worst part about it, dingbat TT hasnt come close to finding replacements for them... so ya, it can get a lot worse

Gunakor
01-08-2009, 01:30 PM

well that talent, just got a year older... our best 3 players on D: Kampy, Woodson, Barnett are not getting any younger and the worst part about it, dingbat TT hasnt come close to finding replacements for them... so ya, it can get a lot worse

Kampy's what, 30? He's got a few years left. Barnett is still in his 20's, so there's no need to look for a replacement for him just yet either. He was just drafted in 2003, so he has over half of his career left to play, barring injury.

Woodson is the only guy of those you listed that is getting twoard the twilight of his career. But considering he still plays like he's 25, and the fact that he is under contract until 2013, I dont think he'll need to be replaced anytime soon. He's not in the twilight of his career just yet. He'll have at least 2 or 3 more good seasons for us.

Al Harris is the veteran on the D that will need to be replaced first, and TT has already found a replacement for him that could start for us tomorrow if he had to. Tramon Williams might not be Al Harris in his prime good, but he's at least as good as the guys Ron Wolf would routinely throw out there at cornerback during the 90's.

Bretsky
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
NOLAN is in Green Bay to interview for job

Also reported MM wants to interview Greg Williams, who the Saints and Jets are speaking with as well

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm okay with Nolan, but the more I study the two guys being mentioned I'm more on the Williams bandwagon.

Partial
01-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I called for Williams last year, and again this year once Jacksonville releases him. He's my #1 candidate at this point.

MJZiggy
01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm okay with Nolan, but the more I study the two guys being mentioned I'm more on the Williams bandwagon.

Well that seals the Nolan deal...

Bretsky
01-08-2009, 11:04 PM

These two candidates were the two I considered cream of the crop from the start; I'm elated with either in comparison to Winston Moss.....who I'd just have a "I don't know" shoulder shrug when asked for my opinion of him

The Shadow
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM
I prefer Williams.
Good to know he has come in for the interview.

rbaloha1
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Unsure who is better. Hope the new dc creates schemes to utilize existing talent.

Shoal
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Interesting article on Nolan vs. Williams at packerupdate.com.