PDA

View Full Version : Nolan or Moss? WHo would you prefer?

Bossman641
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
By all accounts, these seem to be the 2 front-runners at the moment. Who's your preference and why?

I'm only including these 2 because they are the only two names we've heard anything about. Therefore, no others.

SnakeLH2006
01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
By all accounts, these seem to be the 2 front-runners at the moment. Who's your preference and why?

I'm only including these 2 because they are the only two names we've heard anything about. Therefore, no others.

If I had to pick one...Nolan by far....do we need another D-coordinator without head D experience again (umm....Vanilla Bob??) :evil:

Nolan's had his ups and downs but would love to have him as D-Cood as our past D-Cood's with exp. paid dividends (Fritz Da Blitz and Jimmy Bates)..

http://images.bestwebbuys.com/muze/books/80/9780962477980.jpg

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Really, of all of the likely candidates, Nolan is at the bottom of my list and Moss is just above him. Anybody more than these clowns, but seeing how soft Nolan's defenses have been in Frisco, I'm scared to death of him.

vince
01-07-2009, 04:49 AM
I'd be wait-and-see on both of these guys, and I will definitely give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt throughout about the first half of the season depending on how things are trending, given that there's likely to be a change in philosophy, which will take time to get good at.

Chalk me up as one of the idiots who would most like to see the up-and-coming Jim Johnson disciple.

packrulz
01-07-2009, 05:21 AM
I picked Nolan, but I think Williams from the Jags would be a better fit.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Could it be someone who's team is still playing, thus the delay?

Spaulding
01-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Unless Moss fought Sanders internally and it was purely scheme failures, the decline of the LB play (even given the injuries) doesn't inspire confidence of Moss in me.

Nolan does have the background and has deployed some pretty decent defenses (also some soft ones) so I guess I'd pick him as the lesser of two evils.

All in all though I'm with Vince in that I'd like to see Sean McDermot (sp?) of the Eagles as our next DC.

Fritz
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Really, of all of the likely candidates, Nolan is at the bottom of my list and Moss is just above him. Anybody more than these clowns, but seeing how soft Nolan's defenses have been in Frisco, I'm scared to death of him.

I'm with you on Nolan, Lurker.

Read today's JSO blog about how the Packers' current defensive roster would have to be shredded and rebuilt to become an effective 3-4 team. You'd basically be starting over. You'd be writing this team off for the next two years.

Screw that.

No to Nolan. No to anyone who runs a 3-4.

McDermott would be my choice.

Bretsky
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Not even close

Nolan without any consideration

DonHutson
01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
but I think Williams from the Jags would be a better fit.

Me too.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I would rather have Sanders than either of these, but I'd rather have either iof these than most of those mentioned as possibilities.

It all comes down to who will stay as far away as possible from a blitz-happy/"pressure" scheme, zone coverage, etc.--the recipes for mediocrity.

Would Moss continue the present scheme or very close to it? Or would he deviate to his Haslett/blitz-happy background?

Would Nolan keep the scheme of the team he moves to--as he apparently has done when changing teams in the past? Would he go to a 3-4, but with cover corners and generally just a four man rush? Or would he go off the deep end with blitzes, zone coverage, etc., and mess up what was an excellent defense in '07 before injuries ruined it in '08?

There are no guarantees with either of these--especially at this point when it's only speculation about them getting hired. I think if McCarthy was sold on anybody in particular at this point, the new DC would already have been announced. Don't be surprised if what we end up with is somebody no one has mentioned at all.

bobblehead
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Yea hard to answer like tex said. What are their plans?? I have no problem with the Bates system and obviously injuries really hurt the D this year.

I've seen the Nolan MM experiment...the results were ugly then.

If Moss was actually involved in the infighting I don't want him...his job wasn't DCoord and he should have stuck to his job. How many times did I see our LB's get torched for 18 yards on 3rd and 12 by a RB or TE?? That is on Moss, not Sanders.

I wonder if Bates would consider coming back?

edit: I'm really not liking how this is playing out. I think we should have stayed the course and gotten rid of a few malcontents...stayed healthy next year and won 11 games against a weaker schedule. This turmoil and panick is not good for the team.

Freak Out
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
There is talk of Greg Williams coming to Green Bay as the DC....I would love to see that happen.

Partial
01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
There is talk of Greg Williams coming to Green Bay as the DC....I would love to see that happen.

Same here.

wist43
01-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd take Williams over either Moss or Nolan...

Regardless of who it is, I want to see a pressure scheme... I'd blitz on almost every down if I could. Love watching Pittsburgh and Baltimore play defense... real pleasure to watch.

Watching the Packers play defense??? Laughable if it wasn't sad. It's almost like they consider it impolite to hit some; and blitz??? Nah, too aggressive... might hurt the other teams feelings, so blitzes must be telegraphed to give them advance warning :D

DonHutson
01-08-2009, 12:57 PM
If Moss was actually involved in the infighting I don't want him...his job wasn't DCoord and he should have stuck to his job.

On the other hand, if he kept his mouth shut and went with the flow he'd probably be on the street right along with the rest of them.

If he's here and the others are gone, McCarthy must have felt he had a point. Based on the results I've seen, I don't really understand the fascination with Moss either, but there must be some reason people are interested in him.

Gunakor
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd take Williams over either Moss or Nolan...

Regardless of who it is, I want to see a pressure scheme... I'd blitz on almost every down if I could. Love watching Pittsburgh and Baltimore play defense... real pleasure to watch.

Watching the Packers play defense??? Laughable if it wasn't sad. It's almost like they consider it impolite to hit some; and blitz??? Nah, too aggressive... might hurt the other teams feelings, so blitzes must be telegraphed to give them advance warning :D

Bob Slowik blitzed on every down... how'd that work out for us? I'd like to see more blitzing, but let's not get carried away. Blitzing too much will hurt you worse than not blitzing at all.