PDA

View Full Version : Prediction for 2009

Partial
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I think the Packers will take a huge step to becoming a more physical team next year. I suspect that TT focuses around the trenches this off-season.

If Nolan comes here, I look forward to seeing a defensive of tough guys. On Offense, I think we'll be running the ball a lot more. Our running game has shown that it can be successful when we stick with it. I suspect we'll see more of this next year.

Basically, I think we'll look more like a Pittsburgh team instead of the "red carpet pretty boy" team we were this year.

Do you guys have any predictions?

Jimx29
01-06-2009, 11:50 PM
TT will continue his ways and be fired by seasons end

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 12:53 AM
TT will continue his ways and be fired by seasons end

There's no way that Thompson gets fired this season, no matter how bad the squad is. 6-10 this year probably doesn't even take away all the credit he's gotten from taking a team that was 4-12 and in cap hell to the NFC championship with an enviable cap situation. Thompson will have to have two more consecutive losing years before Murphy would even consider firing him.

How many GMs get fired two years after getting an "executive of the year" award? Haters aside, Thompson is at least in the top half of personnel people in the NFL (remember, this list includes Al Davis). McCarthy gets fired before Thompson does, and I'm not really sure that McCarthy could get fired after next year.

Jimx29
01-07-2009, 01:15 AM
In most cases (not counting detroilet) you get 4 years to do something.
Riding the coattails of Brett just long enough to sign a 5 year extension doesn't count as "something"

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 01:26 AM
In most cases (not counting detroilet) you get 4 years to do something.
Riding the coattails of Brett just long enough to sign a 5 year extension doesn't count as "something"

I'd say "making the conference championship game" counts as "something", regardless of whether you had a legend playing at QB or not. Thompson got through his first 5 years and accomplished "something". He's safe for at least the next two.

For all the pressure the fans assume is being put on him, there's really no evidence whatsoever that Thompson's boss has any real pressure on him. I mean, Mark Murphy has only been president of the Packers for a little over a year (and came in as a Thompson supporter). I don't think a sub 2-year tenure is going to be enough to sour him on the guy.

Simply because a GM is unpopular with the fans does not mean his ouster is imminent. Carl Peterson spent 20 years as the GM of the Chiefs being unpopular with the fans...

Like it or not, Thompson is here to stay for at least two more years. Better hope he's successful in the meantime, at least if you're a Packer fan.

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Regardless of discussing the fate of management (which is really hard to project, anyway), I agree with Partial's assessment.

I think if McCarthy would be well-served to emphasize more physical line play. I think that with the chance of drafting an OT at #9, the fact that Colledge is a far better tackle than guard, and the ages (and injury concerns) for Clifton and Tauscher we may be close to an OL consisting mostly of young guys. I expect them to cut more and be generally more aggressive and athletic. As great as Clifton is in pass-blocking, a lot of the problems we've had with running plays is that Clifton simply isn't athletic enough to cut the backside pressure. I think a line of Colledge/Sitton/Spitz/Barbre (if he turns it around, otherwise Wells/Spitz)/and one of M. Oher or J. Smith could be pretty damn good for years to come, if we decide to go that way in the draft (which wouldn't be too much of a stretch, since the failure rate for top 10 OTs in the draft is very, very low in the modern era, there hasn't been a failure at that position taken in the top 10 since Gallery.)

The defensive line also clearly needs help. Thompson has long been an advocate of the value of defensive tackles, and he has put his money where his mouth is (signing Pickett in the first day of FA, drafting Harrell when the majority of Packerdom was looking for a WR or a TE (even though it hasn't worked out so far, he was at least trying)). I expect him to do it again.

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
I agree with Partial. I think they like Sitton. McCarthy said he's the big, physical right guard they've been looking for and Spitz is stronger than Wells so our interior right gets stronger at two positions.

Hopefully they can figure something out at RT. Tausch is getting older and major knee surgery is going to be very hard to overcome in just 8 months. Colledge did a nice job, but if Colledge is going to play RT, then we'll have to find a left guard (maybe Clifton/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Colledge). Then there is a matter of replacing Clifton within a year. Ted is going to have to get moving on that before it becomes a real issue.

As far as the DL goes, I think we're going to see at least a mid level FA and I think this is the year we make a splash. I think AH makes sense for this team and judging by Thompsons apparent attraction to top tier players (Moss, Gonzo, Woodson, Arrington, Vinitari), I would say we're going to be in that race till the end.

pbmax
01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
From the way things broke this season, I'd say that Thompson rode the coattails of Sanders to his extension :shock:

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 07:32 AM
And I agree we have to get more physical. There is no way this team can win a championship running the ball or stopping the run the way we do now. We're a decent team, but we need to be much more physical to be SB competitive. I think last year was a little fluky. According to the stats, we won more games than we should have last year and lost more ganes than we should have this year. Bottom line, we're somewhere near average for the last two years. Now we have to take the step forward, let Collins, Rodgers, Jennings and all of the young players become vets and continue to stock pile talent around them rather than letting them go to go young. We finally have a solid base. Lock them up and keep building.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with Partial. I think they like Sitton. McCarthy said he's the big, physical right guard they've been looking for and Spitz is stronger than Wells so our interior right gets stronger at two positions.

Hopefully they can figure something out at RT. Tausch is getting older and major knee surgery is going to be very hard to overcome in just 8 months. Colledge did a nice job, but if Colledge is going to play RT, then we'll have to find a left guard (maybe Clifton/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Colledge). Then there is a matter of replacing Clifton within a year. Ted is going to have to get moving on that before it becomes a real issue.

As far as the DL goes, I think we're going to see at least a mid level FA and I think this is the year we make a splash. I think AH makes sense for this team and judging by Thompsons apparent attraction to top tier players (Moss, Gonzo, Woodson, Arrington, Vinitari), I would say we're going to be in that race till the end.

Don't forget about Giacomini. From all I've heard about that, the reason he didn't see any PT this season isn't because he lacks talent. It's because he lacked size, which the conditioning staff was trying to put on him. He's got that 6'7" frame but needed to put muscle on it to be effective at this level. Assuming he puts on the muscle, and he's got the talent, he'd be an ideal LT protecting Rodgers' blind side. From that perspective, both OT replacements might already be on our roster.

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't forget about Giacomini. From all I've heard about that, the reason he didn't see any PT this season isn't because he lacks talent. It's because he lacked size, which the conditioning staff was trying to put on him. He's got that 6'7" frame but needed to put muscle on it to be effective at this level. Assuming he puts on the muscle, and he's got the talent, he'd be an ideal LT protecting Rodgers' blind side. From that perspective, both OT replacements might already be on our roster.

My, admittedly inexpert, opinion is that Colledge probably projects better to LT and Giacomini to RT. But I would appreciate hearing the input of one of our resident experts on offensive line play.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't think anybody knows enough about Giacomini. I'm no expert, but I'd be fine with Clifton and Colledge as our OTs this year and bringing on Giacomini (or better yet, a more highly acclaimed guy we acquire relatively early in the draft) slowly. It might be foolish to count on a guy like Giacomini.

Clifton, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, Colledge?

Long-term
Colledge, Barbre, Spitz, Sitton, high draft pick?

rpiotr01
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think anybody knows enough about Giacomini. I'm no expert, but I'd be fine with Clifton and Colledge as our OTs this year and bringing on Giacomini (or better yet, a more highly acclaimed guy we acquire relatively early in the draft) slowly. It might be foolish to count on a guy like Giacomini.

Long-term

I think more likely:

high draft pick, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Giacomini/ draft pick.

Colledge isn't the answer at LT. I'm hoping either Oher or Jason Smith is around at #9 and that should take care of that.

Right now Giacomini is generating Allen Barbre type buzz about his progress, and we know how that turned out. But I'm anxious to see how he does in mini camp and TC. He and Sitton would form a nice big mauling right side of the line.

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Colledge isn't the answer at LT. I'm hoping either Oher or Jason Smith is around at #9 and that should take care of that.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm reasonably confident that Colledge isn't the answer at either guard spot, but he's been much more productive (and natural) playing Tackle, which was his position at Boise State.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Long-term

Not saying you are wrong, but it might be just as foolish to not give Giacomini his shot at a starting job. Certainly the coaches know more about his progress than any of us do, and it doesn't make sense that they'd use a draft pick on this guy, not let him so much as dress for one regular season game in his rookie year while still keeping him on the roster, and then not give him a shot at playing. Something tells me this guy is going to be pretty good once he gets into shape.

Colledge does project better as a LT, but he's a bit light and seems like he could get pushed around a bit in pass pro. Gia is, well, large. I could see him as the anchor long term, assuming he's got the talent, before I could see Colledge in that role. I could be wrong, but from a pure size standpoint, I'd rather the bigger, stronger guy be the one to protect my blind side if I were the QB.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Giacomini was a 5th round pick. I don't think they had any grand hopes that he'd start this year. Probably saw something they liked, but he obviously wasn't close to being able to contribute this year, or he would have played against the Lions. It would then be a stretch to project him as a starter in 2009.

rpiotr01
01-07-2009, 02:05 PM

I'm not so sure about that. I'm reasonably confident that Colledge isn't the answer at either guard spot, but he's been much more productive (and natural) playing Tackle, which was his position at Boise State.

Really? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I mean, he hasn't gotten killed this year like he did his first year against Jason Taylor. But we haven't seen him go up any of the real premier ends. Just think about the competition in the division. Can you imagine him going one on one against Jared Allen all game long like Clifton does? I think it would be a blood bath. I just don't see the strength, quickness and feet for it. I think he's been doing pretty well where he is at LG, I'd be inclined to leave him there. I mean, if push came to shove maybe next year if there is no choice, but I don't think he's the long term answer at LT.

This really could be the year to get a top LT in the draft. I don't want this team to be picking top ten for a while after this year, so I hope they take advantage of picking in the range where the best LTs are found.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Giacomini was a 5th round pick. I don't think they had any grand hopes that he'd start this year. Probably saw something they liked, but he obviously wasn't close to being able to contribute this year, or he would have played against the Lions. It would then be a stretch to project him as a starter in 2009.

I'm not talking about 2009 necessarily. I'm talking long term. Taucher was a 7th round pick, and a little patience went a long way with him.

2009 I'm guessing will have Clifton returning at least, and Colledge most likely starting on the other side. 2010 will likely see Clifton retired, and by then I think Gia could be ready. They wouldn't have drafted him if they didn't intend on playing him at some point.

Again, his non contribution this year from all I've read has to do with his lack of bulk, not a lack of talent. They're not going to put him out there if he's gonna be knocked on his ass every time he has to stop a bull rush. Even against the Lions.

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Here's my guesses:

Short term: Clifton/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Colledge
Long term: Draft/(Colledge or Draft)/Spitz/Sitton/(Draft or Colledge)

Giacomini has an outside chance. I don't like Barbre. Wells is fine if you don't have anything better so he may be a part of the long term as well. Moll is below average. I'm hoping for a couple good draft picks over the next year or two.

texaspackerbacker
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you guys think it was some kind of an accident Sitton and Giacomini were drafted? Hell no. They were drafted by a ZBS team to be ZBS linemen. If they are perceived to be more physical, fine, but supposedly, they are mobile enough to do the ZBS thing. You can say the same for Spitz and Barbre and even Moll.

Who was NOT drafted to work in the ZBS? Well, aside from the old timers--Clifton and Tauscher, there is Wells--a holdover from pre-ZBS times, and he is clearly the least physical of the bunch.

I also think it will eventually end up Colledge, Spitz, Giacomini, maybe Barbre, and one or two draft picks--I would think mid round (3rd-5th) instead of high round. Hopefully, that comes after we get one more decent year out of Clifton.

The team may get a touch more physical within the ZBS, but I really don't see the Packers getting away from ZBS as long as McCarthy is there.

As for what somebody said about running more, hell no. We need to run less, or at least run less on early downs. We need to pass to set up the run instead of vice-versa. Call that "pretty boy/red carpet" or whatever, but that is what needs to be done to maximize offensive performance.

As for "toughening up" the defense, that too better be done within the context of the current scheme, or at least with man coverage by the corners and a minimum of blitzing. Stay the hell away from the stupidity of these so-called "pressure defenses"--the crap pushed by Gregg Williams, Sean McDermott, and maybe a couple of other DC candidates.

This is still a 13-3/14-4 team--that just happened to get derailed by injuries and other forms of bad luck this past season. Let's refrain from idiotic boat-rocking that will certainly drag the Packers down from that level.

Guiness
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Long-term

I'd hate to see Tauscher gone. I know the injury might make the decision for us.

Guiness
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Here's my guesses:

Giacomini has an outside chance. I don't like Barbre. Wells is fine if you don't have anything better so he may be a part of the long term as well. Moll is below average. I'm hoping for a couple good draft picks over the next year or two.

Based on what do you not like Barbre? I think we know about as much about him as we do about Giacomini.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Do you guys think it was some kind of an accident Sitton and Giacomini were drafted? Hell no. They were drafted by a ZBS team to be ZBS linemen. If they are perceived to be more physical, fine, but supposedly, they are mobile enough to do the ZBS thing. You can say the same for Spitz and Barbre and even Moll.

Who was NOT drafted to work in the ZBS? Well, aside from the old timers--Clifton and Tauscher, there is Wells--a holdover from pre-ZBS times, and he is clearly the least physical of the bunch.

I also think it will eventually end up Colledge, Spitz, Giacomini, maybe Barbre, and one or two draft picks--I would think mid round (3rd-5th) instead of high round. Hopefully, that comes after we get one more decent year out of Clifton.

The team may get a touch more physical within the ZBS, but I really don't see the Packers getting away from ZBS as long as McCarthy is there.

As for what somebody said about running more, hell no. We need to run less, or at least run less on early downs. We need to pass to set up the run instead of vice-versa. Call that "pretty boy/red carpet" or whatever, but that is what needs to be done to maximize offensive performance.

As for "toughening up" the defense, that too better be done within the context of the current scheme, or at least with man coverage by the corners and a minimum of blitzing. Stay the hell away from the stupidity of these so-called "pressure defenses"--the crap pushed by Gregg Williams, Sean McDermott, and maybe a couple of other DC candidates.

This is still a 13-3/14-4 team--that just happened to get derailed by injuries and other forms of bad luck this past season. Let's refrain from idiotic boat-rocking that will certainly drag the Packers down from that level.

Tex, would you be opposed to a Philadelphia style blitz happy defense? Because, I mean, they are pretty good. Consistenly good. Year to year good, not rollercoaster good then bad. I have no problem with blitzing if it works, and it works in Philadelphia. That's what McDermott would be bringing here - a blitz heavy defense that WORKS. Not a Bob Slowik blitz happy defense that gets shredded week in and week out.

You can't honestly look at a Jim Johnson defense in Philadelphia and not be excited about it. Those guys are so badass. I love what they do there. And I'd be all for bringing that style of defense here to Green Bay.

steve823
01-07-2009, 05:44 PM
11-5..you heard it here first. seriously :x

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 05:46 PM
A solid defense and consistent OL will make our offense better. You'll see a couple of offensive pro-bowlers in 09. Rodgers and Jennings?

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Brett Favre will....

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Here's my guesses:

Based on what do you not like Barbre? I think we know about as much about him as we do about Giacomini.

I don't like that he's in his 2nd year and a rookie (Sitton) beat him out for playing time. I don't like that he's not good enough to beat out Wells for a spot. I don't like that he's not good enough to beat out Moll for playing time. The writing is on the wall. Maybe he "gets it" late because he's a slow learner, but I'm guessing they never trust him because he's so damn stupid. Everyone loved him when we picked him becuase he was this "raw athlete" that could do it all. I saw an idiot that mgiht never learn.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Everyone loved him when we picked him becuase he was this "raw athlete" that could do it all. I saw an idiot that mgiht never learn.

Well, Sitton isn't much smarter apparently.