PDA

View Full Version : Defense needs Talent, too.

Partial
01-06-2009, 11:51 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PKR01

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
This is where I'm at. I partly liked Sanders scheme. Not many teams run it. It's really hard to play against when you have the guys to run it. It's not very flexible though. When you can't find a certain player, all of a sudden it's junk.

I guess the one reason I'd like to switch is because other systems seem more flexible to play to different players strengths. This one was sort of rigid.

Patler
01-07-2009, 07:51 AM
This is where I'm at. I partly liked Sanders scheme. Not many teams run it. It's really hard to play against when you have the guys to run it. It's not very flexible though. When you can't find a certain player, all of a sudden it's junk.

I guess the one reason I'd like to switch is because other systems seem more flexible to play to different players strengths. This one was sort of rigid.

I don't blame the scheme for the inflexibility, I blame the coaches for being inflexible with the scheme and for lacking the creativity to adapt to the opponent, to the game and to the condition of their own team due to injuries and performance.

pbmax
01-07-2009, 08:26 AM

I don't blame the scheme for the inflexibility, I blame the coaches for being inflexible with the scheme and for lacking the creativity to adapt to the opponent, to the game and to the condition of their own team due to injuries and performance.
Some of their opponent adjustments, like the base nickel to combat the Bears TEs were well conceived. But it took way to long to adjust to new ideas for a pass rush after injuries to key personnel robbed them of what they expected.

It wasn't until sometime after game ten that we saw any kind of regular pressure and even then it wasn't something you could count on. To be fair, losing Harris and the safeties didn't help flexibility and I am sure they were more reluctant to change with new starters. But the fact remains they were getting shredded. Something had to be done.

rbaloha1
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Agreed. With shutdown corners blitzing is less risky.

The talent is there but not placed in winning positions. Chillar, Hawk, Collins and Woodson are good blitzers but imo were under utilized as blitzers.