PDA

View Full Version : NOLAN CLOSING IN ON PACKERS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB

packers11
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
pft.com

NOLAN CLOSING IN ON PACKERS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2009, 12:02 p.m.

We reported that other night on rumors of former 49ers coach Mike Nolan putting together a staff, and of speculation in league circles that Nolan will become the Packers’ next defensive coordinator.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Nolan has become the “clear front-runner” to replace Bob Sanders.

Nolan has 11 years of experience as a defensive coordinator, most recently with the Ravens.

“He’s good now. He’s smart,” an unnamed scout told the Press-Gazette. “He can run 3-4, 4-3, he knows it all. It depends on what personnel you have. He’ll do whatever, morph to whatever. He’ll use your players to their strengths. He’s smart that way.”

packers11
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I hope he doesn't do that stupid 4-2-5 shit... I heard people in SF hated it...

cpk1994
01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I hope he doesn't do that stupid 4-2-5 shit... I heard people in SF hated it...WHy not? Fritz Shurmer used at times and it worled fine.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Havent we covered this?

packers11
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Havent we covered this?

just posting the newest info... Its basically official... like the Moss deal :lol: :wink:

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I hope he doesn't do that stupid 4-2-5 shit... I heard people in SF hated it...WHy not? Fritz Shurmer used at times and it worled fine.

Given the talent on GB's secondary, it wouldn't bother me much.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Havent we covered this?

just posting the newest info... Its basically official... like the Moss deal :lol: :wink:

It's a GBPG piece from last night-nothing new dude.

rpiotr01
01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Pretty sure we used a ton of 4-2-5 this year in dismantling Indy. Depends on your own personnel and when you use it.

ND72
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM

that's called the nickle package....the exact same defense we've been running for years in situations.

packers11
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM

that's called the nickle package....the exact same defense we've been running for years in situations.

Actually the nickle package is 3 corners and 2 safetys...

His version of the 4-2-5 would be 2 corners 3 safetys...

ND72
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
maybe because his corners weren't as good as his safety's. You put your best 5 DB's on the field. I emailed a cousin of mine in California regarding his defense's and he said he would put his best 11 on the field all the time no matter what....just that the 9ers best 11 wasn't very good.

Partial
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Have Rouse as the rover...

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
It's semantics, but the nickel defense doesn't necessarily have to have a third corner. You can roll out three safeties. The dime will oftentimes have a third safety.

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Have Rouse as the rover...

Considering that Rouse is of exceptional size for a safety (essentially LB size) and is probably the best ball-hawk of our safeties (Collins gets in position to catch a lot of them, but he's got no hands), and Hawk and Barnett are both quite a bit better than the Chillar/Poppinga duo, this wouldn't be terribly unreasonable to run here and there.

privatepacker
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Here's the problem I have. These two guys were together once before and the results weren't that great for the 49ers. Why would it be different in Green Bay. We may have better players but will they ever be able to "coach up" the talent level like Dungy,BB, Parcell,Cower,Gibbs,etc.

Guiness
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Havent we covered this?

You may not have noticed...we tend to cover and re-cover a lot of topics around here. There was a thread or two about a guy named Favre, and that doesn't even concern the team anymore.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Havent we covered this?

You may not have noticed...we tend to cover and re-cover a lot of topics around here. There was a thread or two about a guy named Favre, and that doesn't even concern the team anymore.

:)

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's the problem I have. These two guys were together once before and the results weren't that great for the 49ers.

Is that really fair? They took over the WORST team in the NFL (and their GM used their #1 pick on a QB bust) and worked together for one year. That team actually improved by two games in there one year together. Of course, they went from 2-14 to 4-12. Their QBs were Tim Rattay and an overmatched rookie (Alex Smith).

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
“He’s good now. He’s smart,” an unnamed scout told the Press-Gazette. “He can run 3-4, 4-3, he knows it all. It depends on what personnel you have. He’ll do whatever, morph to whatever. He’ll use your players to their strengths. He’s smart that way.”

I like this. I'm a fan of our system now because it's unusual and effective when it has the players. However, I think it's harder to find players than it is to adjust a system so I'd rather have a coach who focuses on coaching to the players strengths, not forcing the players to fit a system.

This turns me on to Nolan more than anything I've read so far. It gives TT the flexibility to draft any great player and Nolan will make it work. We just have to be careful not to get too complicated. Make the adjustments to the players in camp and try to gain an identity through the season. Don't be changing the whole defense every week.

Bretsky
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM

I like this. I'm a fan of our system now because it's unusual and effective when it has the players. However, I think it's harder to find players than it is to adjust a system so I'd rather have a coach who focuses on coaching to the players strengths, not forcing the players to fit a system.

This turns me on to Nolan more than anything I've read so far. It gives TT the flexibility to draft any great player and Nolan will make it work. We just have to be careful not to get too complicated. Make the adjustments to the players in camp and try to gain an identity through the season. Don't be changing the whole defense every week.

Get aboard the train

Stop fighting it Fritz ! You'll like the guy too :lol: