PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy to interview Bronc's DLine coach

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Per JSO:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37230614.html

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Is he black? If so, is he the Rooney Rule candidate or would Winston Moss qualify for that?

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Is he black? If so, is he the Rooney Rule candidate or would Winston Moss qualify for that?

Nope, not black:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=6922

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Interesting. Has he coached with Winston Moss or Mike Nolan before?

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
This is the first interview we've heard about, correct? Presumably he is interviewing for the defensive coordinator spot, so the reports of "Moss almost certainly in" and "Nolan almost certainly in" are likely just so much media speculation.

bigcoz75
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Woo interviewing someone from the 29th ranked defense in the nfl. 26th in sacks 27th in rushing. No thanks. Is MM looking to collect unemployment?

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Woo interviewing someone from the 29th ranked defense in the nfl. Is MM looking to collect unemployment?

That's likely a misleading statistic. Coaching can only do so much, have you seen the talent (or lack thereof) they have on the defensive side of the ball in Denver?

Moreover, do you suppose that McCarthy is so negligent to not ask "So... you most recently worked on a really bad defense, what's up with that?" during the interview?

Bill Johnson had a reasonable degree of success as the Falcons DL coach from 2001-2006, and presumably that's where the majority of the consideration is coming from. Plus, gotta interview somebody. He's the first interview, I wonder how often in NFL circles does the first interview for a coordinator spot end up getting the job.

Rastak
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM

I don't think there is a Rooney rule for coordinators.

Chevelle2
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Some nuggets on Johnson:

-Johnson's '07 Denver d-line was second in the NFL in takeaways

-As the Falcon's d-line coach from '01 - '06, the team had the seventh highest sack total in the NFL during that time.

-the Falcons reached the NFC Champ. game in '04 and led the league in sacks.

- in 2006, ATL had the ninth rushing D in the NFL, and the Falcons ranked sixth in YPC

-the dirty birds' 47 sacks in 2002 was second most in club history

-Johnson coached Pro Bowlers Coleman and Kearney

bigcoz75
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
looking at his production in Atlanta certainly sheds a different light on it. I guess overall I'm happy the position wasn't just handed over to moss or nolan.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM

LOL I dont think so either.

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Interesting. Has he coached with Winston Moss or Mike Nolan before?

As a graduate assistant under Head Coach Jimmy Johnson at Miami in 1987, Johnson primarily worked with the Hurricanes’ linebackers on a team that went 12-0 and was voted National Champions after a victory over top-ranked Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Winston Moss was a Miami Linebacker. He was drafted in 1987, so he would have been gone by the time Johnson came in.

Winston Moss played for Jimmy Johnson and Bill Johnson was Jimmy Johnson's graduate assistant. Maybe they're gearing up to bring Jimmy Johnson on as DC :) :) :).

Chevelle2
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
From Lombardi at National Football Post:

I know that Bill Johnson, the Broncos’ defensive line coach, is scheduled to meet with the Saints, Seahawks and Packers this week. And his meeting with the Packers will center on the 3-4. Going back and forth between the 3-4 and the 4-3 is not hard to do if you have someone who can play over center, and the Packers do in Ryan Pickett.

I hear the Packers are committed to becoming a 3-4 defense. This must mean Mike Nolan is coming on board very soon.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-91/

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
From Lombardi at National Football Post:

I know that Bill Johnson, the Broncos’ defensive line coach, is scheduled to meet with the Saints, Seahawks and Packers this week. And his meeting with the Packers will center on the 3-4. Going back and forth between the 3-4 and the 4-3 is not hard to do if you have someone who can play over center, and the Packers do in Ryan Pickett.

I hear the Packers are committed to becoming a 3-4 defense. This must mean Mike Nolan is coming on board very soon.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-91/

Do I need a beer in hand before I can read "Tavern Talk"?

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
If we become a 3-4 defense, I hope we put Kampman as a rush LB. 6'4", 265 is about normal for a rush OLB. I know he's a little stiff to drop back, but for the most part he should be the designated pass rusher anyway.

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Jolly/Pickett/Jenkins would be the front 3.

Barnett would be cut as 3-4 LBs have to be able to take on blockers and Barnett cannot. Plus, Barnett is coming off major injury and is overpaid. We can give his money to Collins. Hawk is a fine inside LB for a 3-4 and so is Bishop. With Everette Brown (assuming we draft him) and Kampman we'd have two stud pass rushers on the ends.

Partial
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
If we become a 3-4 defense, I hope we put Kampman as a rush LB. 6'4", 265 is about normal for a rush OLB. I know he's a little stiff to drop back, but for the most part he should be the designated pass rusher anyway.

You are far more concerned with size and measureables than you should be.

Who cares how big he is? Dude can play anywhere. They'll line him up in several different spots would be my guess.

retailguy
01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Barnett would be cut

:?: Where do you get some of this stuff?

Trader Ted is going to CUT our best LB?

Trader Ted is going to CUT our defensive leader?

C'mon man. :P

Sometimes you kill me with this stuff. :D

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't like Barnett. I think he's a very average player. He'd get killed in a 3-4 where he doesn't have the cover of an extra DT.

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Who cares how big he is? Dude can play anywhere. They'll line him up in several different spots would be my guess.

He's too good of a pass rusher to waste his talent as a 3-4 end. That position is mostly a grunt position. Plus, he'd get washed out against double teams and 3-4 DE's are two gappers. Plus there are no 3-4 DE's that are his size. NOt to say he couldn't because of it, just that nobody is doing it so odds are he won't either.

Partial
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM

He's too good of a pass rusher to waste his talent as a 3-4 end. That position is mostly a grunt position. Plus, he'd get washed out against double teams and 3-4 DE's are two gappers. Plus there are no 3-4 DE's that are his size. NOt to say he couldn't because of it, just that nobody is doing it so odds are he won't either.

I completely agree. I'm just sayin... Coordinators will take advantage of a guy like Kamp. He's NOT the liability type.

mission
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Isnt D-Ware a "grunt" by that description?

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 08:44 PM

He plays OLB, the same position I would hope Kamp would play.

3-4 OLB's are just undersized DE's that can rush the passer but still move well enough to drop back from time to time.

mission
01-07-2009, 08:48 PM

He plays OLB, the same position I would hope Kamp would play.

3-4 OLB's are just undersized DE's that can rush the passer but still move well enough to drop back from time to time.

Right. But don't be dismissive of the position is all I was saying. You seemed to insinuate he was above playing that spot ... I think if utilized properly, he can make an impact anywhere on the field. If not, then he's not the best guy for the position.

pbmax
01-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Remember, some one posted a breakdown of different type of 3-4 defenses you can play. I don't know how technically accurate it was, but the ideas were pretty basic.

Remember the 3-4 played by the Giants in '86 or the Patiots in the Super Bowl against the Pack? Each featured a "linebacker" who essentially lined up at defensive end 24 hours a day, but at a standing position. Lawrence Taylor and Willie McGinest.

In contrast, the Steelers play fast on the outside and are usually big in the middle. Remember Levon Kirkland? The size of the OLBs and ILBs depends entirely on how they align the seven, not just on the fact that 3 of the seven will be called lineman now instead of four.

You cannot speculate on who fits where until you know what the alignment will look like. If we could get the rosters for the Redskins during his time there, we might get an idea. I am not sure if San Fran was entirely his scheme or a partnership with his D coordinator.

pbmax
01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
If they play a tweener LB/DL at one end standing up and align him and the 3 d lineman like you might see in a 4-3 defense, you might be surprised that the other three backers will, in size anyway, look pretty similar to what we have.

If they go the Steeler route, then all bets are off.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
If this guy, Jarret Johnson, can play OLB in Baltimore's scheme, then I guess why can't Kampman?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6445

Joemailman
01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Back to the original subject...Maybe he's not interviewing for the DC job. The Packers don't currently have a DL coach.

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Cleft Crusty hasn't laughed in six years. Six long years, 482 doctor appointments, 43 trips to the ER, 7 major surgeries later and JH cracks me up with the thought of Kampman running around as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. That's almost as funny as the thought of Al Davis on 'Dancing with the Stars.'

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Back to the original subject...Maybe he's not interviewing for the DC job. The Packers don't currently have a DL coach.

Wouldn't the new defensive coordinator have a reasonable expectation of being able to hire his own defensive line coach? Depending on what sort of scheme the new DC wants to run, he might want a different defensive line coach. Anyway, don't coordinators usually hire their assistants? It would make it harder to convince a guy to take the job if you tell him who his assistants are going to be, at any rate.

Patler
01-08-2009, 04:08 AM

Wouldn't the new defensive coordinator have a reasonable expectation of being able to hire his own defensive line coach? Depending on what sort of scheme the new DC wants to run, he might want a different defensive line coach. Anyway, don't coordinators usually hire their assistants? It would make it harder to convince a guy to take the job if you tell him who his assistants are going to be, at any rate.

I never had the impression this interview was for the coordinator position, just for the D-line spot(s). That was confirmed in an article today:

A report on NationalFootballPost.com said Bill Johnson, the Denver Broncos’ defensive line coach, is interviewing for the same position with the Packers, Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints this week. The report said Johnson’s meeting with the Packers will center on the 3-4 defense, which suggests McCarthy is ready to change to that scheme.

I think coordinators have some input into the hiring of others, but they do not typically have responsibility for it or control over it. They are often hired with an existing staff in place already, when a coordinator is fired or moves on to a head coaching position some where else. Several articles said that the Packer DC job might be more interesting to top candidates because the whole staff was fired and because MM gives the DC more independence than most other HCs, so the DC would likely have more than normal influence in hiring his staff.

cpk1994
01-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Jolly/Pickett/Jenkins would be the front 3.

Barnett would be cut as 3-4 LBs have to be able to take on blockers and Barnett cannot. Plus, Barnett is coming off major injury and is overpaid. We can give his money to Collins. Hawk is a fine inside LB for a 3-4 and so is Bishop. With Everette Brown (assuming we draft him) and Kampman we'd have two stud pass rushers on the ends.YOu wnat to cut the one guy when he got injured, the defense went from average to shitty? Methinks I see a bias against Barnett in your post.

Pugger
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
And who knows, with a new philosophy on D maybe our LBs might surprise us!! :)

DonHutson
01-08-2009, 11:53 AM

The GB Press Gazette says he interviewed for DL coach.

I would think the coordinator might want some input, but ultimately it's McCarthy's staff. He needs to make the call. And just because the guy is getting interviewed now, it doesn't mean he'll necessarily get hired before a DC.

Guiness
01-08-2009, 12:36 PM

It's so f@#$ pathetic we have to talk about that.

Isn't the time for this rule past?

Guiness
01-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Cleft Crusty hasn't laughed in six years. Six long years, 482 doctor appointments, 43 trips to the ER, 7 major surgeries later and JH cracks me up with the thought of Kampman running around as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. That's almost as funny as the thought of Al Davis on 'Dancing with the Stars.'

A big farm boy from Iowa shouldn't have any trouble husking corn. Isn't that what this amounts to?

Am I the only one who first read 'Al Harris' instead of 'Al Davis' and it was just as funny? Harris likes his 'rippers - maybe he could get some 'Rock of Love' reject as a dance partner?