PDA

View Full Version : Cory Williams Missing

Packers4Ever
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Can anyone tell me why Cory Williams is no longer with us ?? His choice or TT's ?

Thanks!

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Can anyone tell me why Cory Williams is no longer with us ?? His choice or TT's ?

Thanks!

Ted Thompson. Thompson didn't think he was worth $38M and a 2nd round draft pick. I can't give Thompson too much credit. It was just too good to pass up.

Lurker64
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I think if Cleveland had the choice to make over again, I think they would not trade a 2 for him and pay him $38 million. I think if Ted had the choice to make, he would do the exact same thing though he would probably not draft Brohm.

Williams did very, very little for Cleveland last year.

Gunakor
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks!

Ted Thompson. Thompson didn't think he was worth $38M and a 2nd round draft pick. I can't give Thompson too much credit. It was just too good to pass up.

Oddly enough, I don't think the Browns think he's worth that much anymore either. He was nothing more than a body on the line for them this year.

sheepshead
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
TT changed his area code to 216 for a second rounder.

denverYooper
01-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Lol, when I read the thread title I thought that he actually had gone missing, milk-carton style.

mission
01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Lol, when I read the thread title I thought that he actually had gone missing, milk-carton style.

lol me too

im not sure the op ... well, nvm... :oops:

Joemailman
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
It was bad for both teams. The Browns overpaid him and the Packers missed him.

RashanGary
01-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I honestly think Brohm has a good chance of coming through and redeeming himself. The backup QB is very important for competitive teams that don't have an Ironman. We could also trade him for a high pick down the road.

We did miss Corey Williams, but that does not make it a bad move. It was the best move possible because the positives outweighed the negatives. Making the choice Ted made is better than making the other choice in hindsight. I guess that is the definition of a decison turning out to be the right one.

Packers4Ever
01-07-2009, 07:37 PM

LOL sorry, dY, I never thought of it that way but you're right ! :wink:

hurleyfan
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
We did miss Corey Williams, but that does not make it a bad move. It was the best move possible because the positives outweighed the negatives. Making the choice Ted made is better than making the other choice in hindsight. I guess that is the definition of a decison turning out to be the right one.

I wonder what TT's options were as far as a pay scale for Williams?!?! I don't remember if CW & the Packers ever got to a $$ amount to keep him..

If the offer was less than $38 mil and CW refused, then it may have been a "bad move" by TT to delve deeper into it.. He knows the importance of D-linemen..

If the offer was around the same, and CW refused, then maybe it was a "good" move by TT to not overpay..

I can't see the picks of two QBs as a "good" move... not just yet anyway.

red
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
we did miss him, but we really ripped off the brows with the trade

and he got a massive deal he will never be worth

everything would have been fine if justin harrell would have worked out

plus, now that we know we need help at DT we might be able to get a guy equal to corey williams, but for much cheaper

i'll never fault TT for that trade. a hate the lack of depth we have, but i don't hate that trade

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Brohm doesn't really figure into the trade and not signing Thompson, as far as the trade itself is concerned, since Thompson had no way of knowing Brohm would be the pick. Now, if Brohm fails, then Thompson failed to capitalize on a sweet deal.

Come on. Corey Williams was going to be a FA, got paid $38M, and we got a second round pick for him. Think about that.

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
The Browns have been looking for Williams since the third week of the season. I'll let you know if they ever find him.

The Packers really needed Williams this past season. They needed someone who could get 4-5 sacks against the Lions, and he was that guy.

DonHutson
01-08-2009, 07:58 AM

I thought, "No shit, the Browns have considered him missing all season."

:wink:

KYPack
01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Brohm doesn't really figure into the trade and not signing Thompson, as far as the trade itself is concerned, since Thompson had no way of knowing Brohm would be the pick. Now, if Brohm fails, then Thompson failed to capitalize on a sweet deal.

Come on. Corey Williams was going to be a FA, got paid $38M, and we got a second round pick for him. Think about that.

No, he wasn't. We tagged Williams the franchise player. He was gonna get 6.36 million from us. We just moved 7 mil into 2009, so we had the bucks. I agree that TT made the right move, but we didn't save 38 mil, CW never saw that offer from us, that's what his agent negotiated from the Browns.

The Browns cleverly figured they were gonna move a spot RDT in a 4-3 to LDE in a 3-4 and have a solid player. Williams was a big, fat, fish out of water the whole season for Cleveland.

That's why Savage and Crennel are available for any team that wants 'em.

Would we have done better with Williams here, playing in his old spot? Yeah, maybe. That was definitely a trade that screwed both teams so far.

Maybe Brohm has an epiphany and we do some good in the deal after all.

wist43
01-08-2009, 09:07 AM

lol, me too :)

wist43
01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Any way you slice it, TT orchestrated himself a huge hole at DT, and it hurt the team all year.

Is Williams worth $38 mil??? No... the argument in my mind is preemptive signing at a lower number. For young guys that play out their first contract, have shown upside and production... the argument is always preemptive signing.

By not making him a discounted offer earlier he was all but assured of seeing Williams walk... b/c afterall, he wasn't worth what Cleveland paid for him, but he's still a very nice player, and would have been a huge boost to the line this year.

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I honestly think Brohm has a good chance of coming through and redeeming himself.

I don't. I did see anything hopeful there. I'm more encouraged that Flynn will contribute as a backup.

I would trade BRohm for a 5th round pick and the biscuit from SKinbasket & Retail's contest.

We did miss Corey Williams, but that does not make it a bad move.

Williams is just one piece of a collective screw-up on the defensive line. I think it was a bad move. They could have kept him for one more year to see how the iffy players came around. But I know the argument on the other side has merit too, don't want to refight the battle.

Pugger
01-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Maybe we missed CW but he wasn't all that hot when he had to start for us last year after Jolly and Cole went down. I think the lousy play of Jolly and Pickett this season plus losing Jenkins was more of a factor in our horrid D line play than the loss of Williams. The only starter on the D line that played decently was Kampy and you need more than just one guy trying to rush the passer. :?

cheesner
01-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Any way you slice it, TT orchestrated himself a huge hole at DT, and it hurt the team all year.

Is Williams worth $38 mil??? No... the argument in my mind is preemptive signing at a lower number. For young guys that play out their first contract, have shown upside and production... the argument is always preemptive signing.

By not making him a discounted offer earlier he was all but assured of seeing Williams walk... b/c afterall, he wasn't worth what Cleveland paid for him, but he's still a very nice player, and would have been a huge boost to the line this year.'Preemptive' signing is a great move for high character players like Kampmann, and a bad idea for players like Cletidus Hunt, Freeman, and Corey Williams.

Maybe CW had a tough time with the new system, or maybe with that fat paycheck he no longer felt the need to hit the weights so hard and spent his time enjoying the good life. His half sack was an impact not missed by the Packers this season.

DonHutson
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM

The fact that they have done that with every player they really wanted to keep, and that you never heard about any kind of attempt to sign Williams, would seem to tell you what they thought of Williams.

I agree with Cheesner, I think they expected him to go in the tank when he got paid.

Partial
01-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't. They wanted to avoid paying another linemen big bucks when they were paying Kampman, Jenkins, Pickett, and Harrell good money. When they drafted Harrell the writing was on the wall for CWill.

It was a good trade, in hindsight and in foresight. Teddy lacked the foresight to fortify the line, though.

wist43
01-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, the fact that we do not know these guys personally... how they conduct themselves in the locker room, what type of personality they have, work ethic, overall attitude, etc... we can't know that.

If the organization sees a guy as a knob... we can't take that into account as we don't see it. It may be reported on by some of the beat writers, but even they are reluctant to hang a guy out to dry, unless he's someone like a PacMan Jones, and it's blatently obvious.

wist43
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't. They wanted to avoid paying another linemen big bucks when they were paying Kampman, Jenkins, Pickett, and Harrell good money. When they drafted Harrell the writing was on the wall for CWill.

It was a good trade, in hindsight and in foresight. Teddy lacked the foresight to fortify the line, though.

He understocked the DL, and overstocked WR... took his BPA, as always; but, this goes to my overriding criticism of TT... how do you eventually have all the pieces together and have a complete team capable of making a SB run???

Guiness
01-08-2009, 12:23 PM

The fact that they have done that with every player they really wanted to keep, and that you never heard about any kind of attempt to sign Williams, would seem to tell you what they thought of Williams.

I agree with Cheesner, I think they expected him to go in the tank when he got paid.

It's a good point, and one we'll never know the answer to. We had a good to very good player on our roster, and let him go. Why? The answer probably lies in that they didn't like him much for some reason, or thought Harrell would come around - and I tend towards the former, because Harrell had shown no signs of being able to fill his shoes.

Other players TT/MM have let go were because they just weren't very good anymore (Hendo) or we had a suitable replacement (Koren). One notable deviation from this could be Tracey White.

Guiness
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
No, he wasn't. We tagged Williams the franchise player. He was gonna get 6.36 million from us. We just moved 7 mil into 2009, so we had the bucks. I agree that TT made the right move, but we didn't save 38 mil, CW never saw that offer from us, that's what his agent negotiated from the Browns.

The Browns cleverly figured they were gonna move a spot RDT in a 4-3 to LDE in a 3-4 and have a solid player. Williams was a big, fat, fish out of water the whole season for Cleveland.

Would we have done better with Williams here, playing in his old spot? Yeah, maybe. That was definitely a trade that screwed both teams so far.

I tend to agree that this is a trade that, short term, didn't work out for either team. Brohm certainly didn't help us this year, and CW was, well, missing. Down the road, CW might adjust to his new surroundings, and Brohm might develop...but that's down the road.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that he would get lazy once he was paid, giving him the franchise deal effectively puts him back in a contract year. He might not have been happy, but I'm betting he would've played like hell.

Partial
01-08-2009, 12:39 PM

He understocked the DL, and overstocked WR... took his BPA, as always; but, this goes to my overrided criticism of TT... how do you eventually have all the pieces together and have a complete team capable of making a SB run???

I wouldn't have gone the WR route myself, but I can't fault him for the trade.

It was an awesome deal, as Harv has pointed out. Certainly doesn't coincide with the tough guy attitude they want to bring to the team.

Gunakor
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM

By not making him a discounted offer earlier he was all but assured of seeing Williams walk... b/c afterall, he wasn't worth what Cleveland paid for him, but he's still a very nice player, and would have been a huge boost to the line this year.

I don't understand how people think TT orchestrated himself a huge hole at DT. Follow the timeline. When TT drafted Justin Harrell, he was roundly criticized for it because we did not need another DL. We had too many already. The next offseason TT unloads just one DL, bringing us back to where we were before drafting Justin Harrell. And now the cupboard is bare?

I don't get it. TT didn't empty that cupboard during the offseason. He got rid of one player on a DL who many of us had criticized him for having too many of. With CW we have too many DL, yet without him we have too few, at least by the logic I've heard from many Packer fans. What would they have done, traded away just half of CW? Would things have been more perfect with 5 and a half DT's rather than 6 (too many) or 5 (too few)?

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Mostly, I find fault in that Thompson didn't take a single defensive tackle at any point in the 2008 NFL draft. Not that he didn't take one with one of his second round picks, but that with nine picks he never took a shot at a big man who could develop. Taking Pat Sims instead of Brohm or Lee (hopefully instead of Brohm, what a wasted pick) would be reasonable. Frank Okam instead of Breno or Sitton wouldn't have been ridiculous. We had a couple of shots at Ahtyba Rubin.

It wasn't a great draft for defensive tackles, but wasn't there somebody in the seventh round that could have sat on the PS for a year that would have been more worthy of a seventh round pick than Brett Swain or "Trading away the pick for a 2009 pick"?

Gunakor
01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Mostly, I find fault in that Thompson didn't take a single defensive tackle at any point in the 2008 NFL draft. Not that he didn't take one with one of his second round picks, but that with nine picks he never took a shot at a big man who could develop. Taking Pat Sims instead of Brohm or Lee (hopefully instead of Brohm, what a wasted pick) would be reasonable. Frank Okam instead of Breno or Sitton wouldn't have been ridiculous. We had a couple of shots at Ahtyba Rubin.

It wasn't a great draft for defensive tackles, but wasn't there somebody in the seventh round that could have sat on the PS for a year that would have been more worthy of a seventh round pick than Brett Swain or "Trading away the pick for a 2009 pick"?

But he took a DT with his first pick the year before, and as I said, people roundly criticized him for it. We had too many already.

By that logic, replacing Williams with a new rookie would have put us in the same position we were in after drafting Harrell. We'd have too many DT's.

I'm not saying you were one of those fans, but I'm sure you know there are plenty of them out there. I'll bet the house that many of those fans are the same ones who now criticize TT for leaving the cupboard bare by trading away one worthless guy. Methinks they just want another reason to criticize.

Pugger
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Go back and reread my sentence that I put in bold in my post on the first page of this thread. Lousy play by our starting DTs were more of an issue with our horrid D line play than trading a backup who was grossly overpaid by Cleveland. :?

cheesner
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM

I tend to agree that this is a trade that, short term, didn't work out for either team. Brohm certainly didn't help us this year, and CW was, well, missing. Down the road, CW might adjust to his new surroundings, and Brohm might develop...but that's down the road.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that he would get lazy once he was paid, giving him the franchise deal effectively puts him back in a contract year. He might not have been happy, but I'm betting he would've played like hell.
Perhaps you are right, and he would have played very well for the big contract. We will never know. Maybe TT felt that his value would never be any higher and you may as well get what you can. In retrospect, I still believe it was the correct decision. Had he come back, we were still looking at Pickett and Jolly as the starters. He was a good role player, but he wasn't going to be relied upon this season. As it turned out, both of our starters regressed and our up-and-comer was injured. Not sure anyone could have seen that coming.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-08-2009, 09:52 PM

lol, thats what I thought.

wist43
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM

I don't understand how people think TT orchestrated himself a huge hole at DT. Follow the timeline. When TT drafted Justin Harrell, he was roundly criticized for it because we did not need another DL. We had too many already. The next offseason TT unloads just one DL, bringing us back to where we were before drafting Justin Harrell. And now the cupboard is bare?

I don't get it. TT didn't empty that cupboard during the offseason. He got rid of one player on a DL who many of us had criticized him for having too many of. With CW we have too many DL, yet without him we have too few, at least by the logic I've heard from many Packer fans. What would they have done, traded away just half of CW? Would things have been more perfect with 5 and a half DT's rather than 6 (too many) or 5 (too few)?

TT orchestrated himself a hole at DT/DL by drafting Harrell, and over estimating his ability; by over estimating what KGB had left in the tank; and, by thinking that Montgomery was a viable backup.

While over estimating those guys, he underestimated CW's impact... and we saw the results of those miscalculations on the field this year. If TT isn't responsible for that, who is???

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Thompson is responsible for everything ultimately, so I think it's fair to put the DL issues on him. It doesn't make him a bad GM necessarily. A lot of his job is pure guesswork (e.g. Jenkins getting hurt, Harrell continuing to show nothing, KGB falling off). There are a lot of good GMs that haven't won a Super Bowl. I think he's a good GM, but I don't know that he has the stuff that it takes to be a Super Bowl GM. Last year, he was a hero. This year, he is a goat. He'll need to shore up the front 7 this offseason to be a hero again. Here's hoping that will happen. I'm relatively happy with the personnel at other positions on the team.

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Last year, he was a hero. This year, he is a goat.

Not in my book. GMs can't control injuries and the Packers lost their two most explosive players in their front seven and Hawk was beat all to shit. Yes, the GM is ultimately responsible and gets judged only on the bottom line, but TT didn't lose 7 close games all by his lonesome. But, I agree that he ad a better year last year. Relying on KGB, Harrell and torpedoing White - and to a lesser extent being satisfied going into the season with Clifton and Tauscher anchoring a pretty average interior line were miscalculations.